• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD Social: we livin' in smash 4

4GOD (JJV)

Smash Apprentice
Haha, thanks Iblis! It was fun playing/talking to you! I was so close to beating Reflex in LF. Game 5 was so close. Still, God was glorified :)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You got this next time 4God, and me and hero agreed that we will frequently come and practice with you we get the chance.

I think we can get GA smashfests started again too once BigLou comes back. They used to have them a lot at his place when he was active.

:phone:

EDIT: I'm still coming for you in bracket :p

Doc King

Smash Lord
Wow, good job 4God placing well at a tourney.

I find it amazing how reflex does so good with the worst middle tier character.

Just curious 4God, but who else did you play against in tourney?

allshort17

Smash Ace
It was heartbreaking watching the fart that Reflex did in game 5 4God. However, you played exceptional and it's great you came in 3rd.

Iblis, were there any upsets in pools?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
For me at least, Metaknight never was the biggest problem with Brawl. It's more... the general defensive brokenness of the game. Defense is just so strong to the point of making anything else useless.

That, and all the characters I want to play lose to x move a character has that happens to lock/cg them stupidly, or are King Dedede and get laserlaserlaserlaserlaserlaserlaser or pikminpikminpikminpikminpikminpikminpikminpikmin. I mean MK I could deal with. I didn't mind fighting the character on a stage that wasn't Brinstar. But with the stagelist only getting smaller the game is only going to get dumber and dumber. A large stagelist used to act as a counterweight to the incredibly degenerate defensive tactics some of the characters could do. I mean, Norfair, for example, favours almost every single low tier character and quite a few mid-tiers, because the large size gives them breathing room while at the same time the hazards prevent them from being hard camped out.

There's a reason Ice Climbers and Olimar are the characters doing the best in Japan. They have 6 stages. Of those stages, just using Ice Climbers, they have Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island Brawl, and Lylat Cruise. 4/6 stages are incredibly strong for them, and sure Delfino, but with one stage ban... Ice Climbers ban it and now you have to counterpick yourself. Olimar's also strong on all those stages, AND strong on Delfino too. And of course, Smashville doesn't hurt either character.

But w/e. It's almost 1 AM and I'm in rant mode. This isn't really going anywhere.
Not true, stages like Brinstar and Norfair are NOT fit for competitive play. They take away from the player vs player aspect and make the focus on player vs stage. And 9b and Nietono are the best players in Japan. It doesn't have anything to do w/ the stage list or their character.

Why is 4GOD so goooooddd???

Out of all the times I played him yesterday I only beat him once. Oh and made 3rd at the tourney.

Too good yo.

Agreed, 4God is too good. You DDD mains better stop johning and saying DDD can't make it, or he needs a secondary, because that isn't true.

Gstar beat Scatt.
Scatt is mad good, gotta a little lucky, but I'll be ready for him next time as well as 4God.

Exdeath

Smash Master
You DDD mains better stop johning and saying DDD can't make it, or he needs a secondary, because that isn't true.
Did 4GOD (I'm not hating on you) run into any :popo: or any decent character+player who played keep away? :ganondorf: has won locals before, but that doesn't mean that he can "Make it," (I'm not sure what you mean, but I assume that it's redundant with the next point) or that he doesn't need a secondary.

When some :dedede: mains are saying that :dedede: isn't a truly viable character, it's more of an opinion/observation than a john. It's not an excuse to perform poorly; it's a reason to plan ahead.

Xubble

Smash Ace
Diddy is also appealing to me. When I first tried his banana shenanigans, all I did was glide toss > fsmash, and that's pretty pathetic and predictable. Now I know how to follow up, and all the crazy **** you can do is phenomenal. o_O

Still can't really handle two bananas efficiently, but I still make people rage quit when I play Diddy. ^_^

Also, there will be a tourney at my college near the end of March. And I basically get to choose the ruleset. It won't be Unity 2.0 since most of the participants won't be at a very high level, and banning MK would probably make them go, "WTF? This is stupid." So I'll probably do my own custom ruleset. Any good ideas?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
If it's just for casual****, just put in every borderline stage like PT:AD in the ruleset, make no LGL and have MK unbanned.

*f a gs

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
To be small to be small!

Diddy and DDD are like exact opposites. People actually run at me and **** now and I win by running away as opposed to trying to chase someone. Getting so easily gimped can be gay but putting on 50% with ease and then having **** stage control is awesome. I just gotta keep playing and learn MUs so I don't get Killed at like 15%.

I'm having quite a lot of fun playing both characters right now.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Man reflex is too good. He beats a counter matchup and plays a low mid tier.

At 15:20 4God, you should have done a turn around bair.

Also, at 18:50 4God, you should have done the slope infinite, it could've gave you a free 50% or 75% damage.

These are just helpful tips, not insults.

Also, from what I've seen, I'm kind of starting to relize more of how slope infinites are kind of situational because ppl will know how to avoid them like they did with wall infinites and Wario is pretty good at that. Sometimes wall infinites don't even seem commen anymore since ppl will never go near there. This stuff is pretty stage dependent.

allshort17

Smash Ace
4God, can you explain to me why on your second game with Reflex you kept trying to attack him on the second transformation of castle siege when he was above you? The first time you got there you had the lead yet you still went after him. To me, it seems like it would be more advantageous just to wait the transformation out and attack him only a few times.

To land a hit the two ways I know how to achieve that are to just straight up attack him or bait him into moving so then you put him in a worse position where you can hit him. If you want to straight up attack him you'd have to put a lot of commitment into doing so. Then, it will be obvious and Wario can just get around it and punish it. However, if you choose to bait him you can purposely whiff attacks or just empty fullhop. But, when you whiff attack he can easily just punish the lag on those and if you empty fullhop he can still poke you with a Dair or another low hitting move if your bait was spaced incorrectly.

Keeping that in mind, it seems like it would just be better to sit on the bottom level until it changes transformation. Is what I said above correct? Is there anything I missed in that or stated incorrectly? And was there something I need to know about Reflex's habits that would make you think it would be better to attack him?

4GOD (JJV)

Smash Apprentice
Doc King, thank you for the tips. I havent practiced the slope infinite.

Allshort, like I said when I posted the link, "I shouldntve chased him around on the 2nd trans of Castle siege". You are right. There was no point. I stopped thinking about the big picture. I should have just waited. Thanks for your help man.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Doc King, thank you for the tips. I havent practiced the slope infinite.

Allshort, like I said when I posted the link, "I shouldntve chased him around on the 2nd trans of Castle siege". You are right. There was no point. I stopped thinking about the big picture. I should have just waited. Thanks for your help man.
The slope infinite is actually pretty easy to do on Wario.

Does anyone find it funny how my AT findings are useful on Reflex's characters a lot of times?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
>co-maining DDD since october
>actually started using him in tournaments this month
>can't beat local Wario anyway
>just decieded to join the DDDs

So... sup.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Cool, some known facesprofiles.

Least I'm not a complete strager here like I was on the Marth GD.....

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Also btw, don't feel bad about not being able to beat Wario's. I used Dedede for my last tournament and couldn't beat a DK.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Neutrals actually suck against Wario. You wanna go slope stages like Halberd or Frigate.

Ps1 would be a good neutral though. You should ban sv and BF (mostly sv).

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I think you'd wanna ban FD tbh. BF is probably half decent since it's a smaller stage, though Wario will air camp you, and it will be incredibly gay chasing after him.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Don't you usually get the lead though because of Dedede's chaingrabs and infinites?

BF is actually not bad thanks to chaingrab being able to control ur air releases.

Also, another tip to 4God, when Wario is at kill range, just kill him with an up smash instead of just continuously chaingrabbing. This will prevent any stupid tripping.

4GOD (JJV)

Smash Apprentice
Doc, Reflex has ridiculous DI and will survive to stupid percents if upsmashed from near the center of the stage. This is the reason I chaingrab him to the edge

Doc King

Smash Lord
What is this magic slope chain grab your talking about

It's this thing I've found where you can dash dance forward and backward into a pivot grab after a d throw for a chaingrab on Wario on upward slopes.
Doc, Reflex has ridiculous DI and will survive to stupid percents if upsmashed from near the center of the stage. This is the reason I chaingrab him to the edge
Oh, I see.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The only Unity Starter Stage I'd avoid in that Matchup is Battlefield. Everything else seems fine or meh. Also local Wario hates Siege.
In our ruleset we have 17 starters and 0 counterpick-only stages, so I have plenty options... even if people think Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 (which is in experimentation phase) is broken for DDD, is not a good idea because derpcamp.

4GOD (JJV)

Smash Apprentice
Those matches against Reflex and Player-1 were from 3 days ago.

Here are some vids from a tournament 3 weeks ago:

Me vs Micaelis (Wario) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNgcapnnfOY
2:09 and 2:57 is the reason D3's pivot grab is my favorite move.

Me vs Kismet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWneY8Fqz9k
I think I should camp more platforms. Dat jab too good.

Me vs Player-1 (Diddy) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHgw-aYoDM
It's nice to see how I've picked up on some things in the matchup in 3 weeks time.

Me vs DRN (ZSS) coming up soon.

Top Bottom