• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Platform Dropping - A New Advanced Tech

Scar

#HarveyDent
FYI I did the exact same thing as you, I called it instant walljumping and other people called it scar jumping and that just happened to be the one that caught on.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I think we should call it the "Shai Drop". It's easier to say then "dash shield platform dropping" lol.
btw I have a question about this: how much does how fast you move the control stick matter? Or is it purely determined by how far you move it?
If I do it fast I'll spot-dodge randomly. But this could be b/c I accidently moved it to far (b/c I was moving so fast)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
FYI I did the exact same thing as you, I called it instant walljumping and other people called it scar jumping and that just happened to be the one that caught on.
Yeah I wasn't knocking you for it being called Scar jumping, just the people who were knocking me for the term Shai drop but who didn't have a problem with techs named after other people.

I think we should call it the "Shai Drop". It's easier to say then "dash shield platform dropping" lol.
btw I have a question about this: how much does how fast you move the control stick matter? Or is it purely determined by how far you move it?
If I do it fast I'll spot-dodge randomly. But this could be b/c I accidently moved it to far (b/c I was moving so fast)
The proper technique for this is to do the 1/8 stick rotation from 0 to - 45 degrees, shield when you hit -45 degrees (or very slightly before if you are having trouble), and stop the rotation at -45 degrees. I think the most common problem people have with this is

a) you sit there in your shield. If this happens, you are either not rotating the stick all the way to -45 degrees, or the rotation itself is not smooth enough. If difficulty persists, try shielding slightly before -45 degrees instead of AT -45 degrees. This will make the drop a little slower, but if the rotation is quick there will be little difference.
b) you spot dodge (your problem). If this happens, you are really doing two things wrong. First, you are not shielding early enough. If you shield at or before -45 degrees, you will drop through even if you continue the rotation, provided the rotation is smooth. Second, you are rotating past -45 degrees. You will not spot dodge from a dash unless you go past -45 degrees and shield at that point, OR you start shielding before -45 degrees but the rotation is not smooth.

When I'm talking about the rotation being smooth, I just mean you need to keep the stick to the periphery of the octagon. It actually needs to be a rotation. In practice you can actually start the rotation a little below 0 degrees (like, say, from -20 to -45) but this is more difficult .

Now, if your technique is correct, you will drop through at the point you hit -45 degrees no matter how fast the rotation. You can still drop through without the shield animation coming up even if the rotation is relatively slow. Where speed comes in is if you want to drop through at a precise location from a fast dash, because if you are slow, your character will continue the dash during the rotation (although not quite at full dash speed). So, yes, speed is important, but not so much because you need to be fast to drop through, just that you need to be fast to drop through from tight dash dances at exactly the point where you want to drop through.

It can be difficult to do this perfectly. It's much easier if you have a loose control stick, however. I can't do it very well on newer controllers.

Geist

Smash Master
Okay, so i just started trying this out a half hour ago. I have it mostly down, but the times I screw up, my character airdodges the instant they drop from the platform. Just timing options? Or something else wrong?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I think I've addressed most of these questions in the thread somewhere, but I will update the first post with a more comprehensive description and an FAQ. This will probably happen sometime later today because I don't feel like it right now.

I'll go ahead and answer your question though, Blowtoes, since the answer is easy. Witchking is essentially correct, but it's probably easier if you just light-shield instead of full-shielding, since if you full-shield and don't do it really fast you will air-dodge (you can actually do horizontal wavedashes on platforms like this--fun fact).

IrArby

Smash Ace
Does anyone use this technique when landing on platforms from an aerial? If you are facing right and hold the stick left, land, and immediately shield, you can still Shai Drop even while facing the other way and dropping (rotating the stick) backwards. I love doing that now to space attacks and I'd recommend it to anyone. Its even sorta better than Isai Dropping since you can delay it if you want to and its easier. Now if I master waveshielding too so it gives me so many more options on platforms like you can bait them Shai Drop, Uair, Utilt (with Marth). I think Shai Drop is a good name for it too.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Does anyone use this technique when landing on platforms from an aerial? If you are facing right and hold the stick left, land, and immediately shield, you can still Shai Drop even while facing the other way and dropping (rotating the stick) backwards. I love doing that now to space attacks and I'd recommend it to anyone. Its even sorta better than Isai Dropping since you can delay it if you want to and its easier. Now if I master waveshielding too so it gives me so many more options on platforms like you can bait them Shai Drop, Uair, Utilt (with Marth). I think Shai Drop is a good name for it too.
Yeah, I do this kind of thing pretty often. Something else you can do is to jump/waveland/whatever onto a platform and hold Z during the lag so your Z-shield pops up. Hold left/right while it pops up and continue holding that direction. For most characters the shield will completely cover them. If your opponent wavelands onto the platform to grab you (fairly likely) you can drop through and hit them. You can also use this as a platform camping technique to varying degrees of success depending on character and matchup.

Also, updated the first post with an FAQ.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yea exactly except I'm training myself now to use the L button to shield and I already use R to cancel which allows me to waveshield easier and I use L for this technique also. So I SHFFL with R (a SHFFR I guess) and hold L during the lag as opposed to Z. I'm trying to use waveshielding and Shai dropping interchangeably now.
I can always drop after the wavedash anyway but I usually have to either wavedash or drop in one direction (or jump obviously) since I'm holding that direction. Its hard to waveshield in the opposite direction if your set up to waveshield or Shai drop in the other direction but the fact that I can set up for either at once opens up options.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I was messing around using this and you can do it into a platform canceled back air with falco. :) Its fun if some one shields or gets hit at low % and you do a platform canceled bair then dash shai drop into another one over and over, it makes people go wtf. I got 2 off in a row in tournament on saturday at spoc 6. 2 solid bairs boom boom.

It would be epic of some one was dumb enough to hold the shield for you to do like 5 of these in a row and break it. xD

D

Deleted member

I was messing around using this and you can do it into a platform canceled back air with falco. :) Its fun if some one shields or gets hit at low % and you do a platform canceled bair then dash shai drop into another one over and over, it makes people go wtf. I got 2 off in a row in tournament on saturday at spoc 6. 2 solid bairs boom boom.

It would be epic of some one was dumb enough to hold the shield for you to do like 5 of these in a row and break it. xD
ive been practicing this for a while but i still cant do it consistently in tourny yet.i tried at spoc but everyone i played applied alot of pressure on me wen i used falco =0

let me know how it works out for you eggm =)

IrArby

Smash Ace
For awhile I was practicing this with Falco to drop through, DJ, and Dlaser but then I realized I wouldn't be shooting lasers at someone close enough to hit me thus defeating the pupose of being able to do it out of a shield. Ah well.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Dash Platform Dropping - A New Advanced Tech

People don't have to update Melee boards very often. IDK you make a good point though someone should notify AZ. Theres other ATs that aren't in there too (like No impact drop, PC drop, the Marth Killer etc.) but most of the omitted ones are character specific. If you wanna learn all the odd less known techs ya gotta look for them and ask about them.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i just realized learning isai dropping is redundant because im already really good at shai dropping. so instead of doing a laser onto a platform, isai dropping and laser again. i can just laser onto a platform, do a quick dash into shai drop (if i move fast enough i dont go anywhere, just like an isai drop) and laser again. i realized i had already been doing this with falcos lasers (the easiest example) but i just used shai dropping for a small momentum boost instead of speeding up the platform land. so now im going to replace all my isai drops with shai drops.. too good

Geist

Smash Master
Actually, I have a lingering question.

Why is it that if I dash and pressing down immediately on the control stick (not rolling the control stick down, but stting it to a neutral position and then down) it gives the exact same effect as this? I'm almost 100% sure it has no lag doing it this way, and if it does, it's an almost undetectable amount.
Then again, it might explain why shai dropping works in the first place.

can someone clarify?

Geist

Smash Master
Wait are you shielding or not? Because if you're shielding I dunno how that works for you because if I do that, I just spotdodge, and if I'm just dashing nothing happens because you can't drop through platforms during your dash animation.
No, it's without shield. Is it version dependent? Because I just dropped through the platform with my dash animation still going. I have the very first version where bowser can still flame cancel.
Unless I'm accidentally doing something else or my controller is pulling in another direction, I don't know.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Actually, I have a lingering question.

Why is it that if I dash and pressing down immediately on the control stick (not rolling the control stick down, but stting it to a neutral position and then down) it gives the exact same effect as this? I'm almost 100% sure it has no lag doing it this way, and if it does, it's an almost undetectable amount.
Then again, it might explain why shai dropping works in the first place.

can someone clarify?
this is the dash drop, or isai drop. you cant do it while running

Lovage

Smash Hero
for the people messaging me on aim about it

this is the technique i use to drop thru platforms while dashing

Xposure

Smash Cadet
Awesome. It'd be cool if I could consistently use this. Would help me with my defensive play a lot.

Top Bottom