• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Platform Dropping - A New Advanced Tech

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
ya, i guess you are right, you can hold forward, then delay the drop
Yeah the point is I sincerely doubt anyone can consistently do a regular shield drop in 1 frame, which is fairly easy with this technique.

Skylord

Smash Apprentice
And after so many years people still find new things about this game... Screw Brawl, I swear Melee should be made an Olympic game.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Oh I just remembered that I have something to say about this

This technique is ****ing awesome. The other day I shield dropped and reflected a full-charged neutral B of samus

@: Hello up there ^ I live on the same location xD Want to play?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Can you use this to wavedash OOS faster with some characters? Since the double jump has no start up frames, what I thought would be to drop through the platform, jump and air dodge immediately. I think it would be something around 3 frames of start up plus the 10 frame lag from air dodging.

If I think about Bowsers 20 frame wavedash or something like that, it doesn't even seem that far fetched.

Is this possible?

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
When doing this I will sometimes do a shield drop then immediately airdodge (not intentionally). What am I doing wrong?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
When doing this I will sometimes do a shield drop then immediately airdodge (not intentionally). What am I doing wrong?
You're falling through with light-shield (analog trigger function) and completing the trigger depression to the digital function. You don't need to press the trigger all the way down. You can, but if you do you should do it faster so you won't accidentally air dodge.

Regarding the wavedashing from shield, if you had perfect timing this would be a little faster (only a few frames and only for characters with slow jumps), and you can also do perfect (horizontal) wavelands which you can't do from standing. Something interesting I just discovered is that you can actually waveland on the platforms after the shield drop without double jumping, if you are fast enough. It's fairly difficult and I've only been able to do it with Bowser so far, though I've only tried a few characters.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
stillll loveeeee thissss techhhhh

bonus!
fun technical trick
go to pokemon stadium with falco, on the neutral platforms
start at one end of the platform, dash, shai drop and do a *reverse* laser
its harder then it sounds!

okiyama

Smash Ace
Cool, I've had this happen to me a number of itmes and I was trying to figure out how to do it but gave up.

Gratz on figuring it out.
Better name: Platform Drop

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
as much as i hate people naming techs after themselves (brawl noobs)
shai has done a lot for the melee community in the past, this is a useful tech, and shai drop sounds just fine

D

Deleted member

man its good to still see ppl keepin with melee.this is a very nice alternative to what i had been doing!

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
I just realized that you can shine out of shield really easily with this technique. Just shield, Shai Drop, immediately shine, and voilá, you have an oos shine that wasn't JC'd. You have to do it fast though, otherwise you just fall through and shine.

The theory behind this, I assume is the same one as platform dropped aerials- the shine animation changes Fox' body so that he isn't "through" the platform anymore, but completely on top of it.

Leech

Smash Journeyman
Wow very very useful especially since i play as fox and thats how you showed the video!

Thank you!

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Powershielded a samus charged shot with this into a wavedash upsmash on fountains lower platform.

Both hit one after the other it was like watching fox's upsmash go super saiyan.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Powershielded a samus charged shot with this into a wavedash upsmash on fountains lower platform.

Both hit one after the other it was like watching fox's upsmash go super saiyan.
I would go bananas if I witnessed that happen.

EDIT

wait are you saying you did this? cause if so you get barrels of props.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord

You don't need to use this to do that though, jumping cancels the shield dropping animation, so you can just powershield->wavedash into usmash and it's just as fast.

Now that I'm done playing negative nancy, you get major props for me for repping fox in such an awesome way.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
this is kind of nice trick but doesn't really want to work with me for getting popo to drop sometimes he gets stuck up there.
You mean Nana? I generally assume "Popo" refers to the main Ice Climber regardless of whether the lead climber for your particular color is Nana or Popo. I think this is the general convention to avoid confusion. But yeah, Nana gets confused by all kinds of techniques. I haven't really tried this with ICs but I think it would be a little different because Nana's shield doesn't come up until 6 frames after Popo's, meaning if you drop through the platform within the first six frames she will just stay there. Then again there are some tactics for which Nana's commands are buffered, so it may still be possible and you could just be doing it wrong. Don't have my gamecube with me or I'd test it out. :(

jugfingers

Smash Champion
You don't need to use this to do that though, jumping cancels the shield dropping animation, so you can just powershield->wavedash into usmash and it's just as fast.

Now that I'm done playing negative nancy, you get major props for me for repping fox in such an awesome way.
I think he means that he powershielded while dropping through the platform then wavelanded into the upsmash but I could be wrong.

but jumpcancelling a fully charged samus laserballthing powershield into a wavedashed upsmash that connected at the same time would still be incredible. first one to do it in a recorded match wins.

Lovage

Smash Hero
haha at the tournament yesterday i was repping this tech full force, i was also shield dropping -> bair a lot. i heard a few people say "lovage does weird stuff with his shield..." haha

i also taught a few people who asked me about it

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
haha at the tournament yesterday i was repping this tech full force, i was also shield dropping -> bair a lot. i heard a few people say "lovage does weird stuff with his shield..." haha

i also taught a few people who asked me about it
Awesome. I never see people doing this except me at tournaments. People must not read the Melee boards that much but maybe in another six months people will finally learn about this by word of mouth.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I totally forgot that thread existed. I even posted in it lol. However the methods posted weren't really correct, including my own, so I think this thread is still relevant. In particular this thread presents a method for doing the dash platform shield drop instantly, which I don't think has been addressed anywhere previously.

nice find but naming a technique after yourself is not usually the way it happens...
Yeah I was only half-serious when I suggested "Shai drop" and don't really expect anyone to call it that. But I wonder why Scar gets to to name instant wall-jumping Scar jumping when he didn't discover it. Probably because he's more popular than I am?

Top Bottom