• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas/Fort Worth! - www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator at 7pm on Thursdays

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Oh... yea, that works too LOL XD

EDIT:

NEW SMASH BROS IS ABOUT TO START PRODUCTION!!!! SAKRAI IS FINISHING UP KID IRCARUS.

http://andriasang.com/con01b/sakura_smash_bros_research/

about damn time he started that production. I wounder if he'll have another character contest? oh well I just hope I see characters that should heave been in the game.

@brett at least ike now has a option avoid tornados after seeing this

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I’m sorry to just barge into your thread, but I really want to invite you guys to my tournament in April here in Tucson, Arizona. This is a big tournament I am running, and I would be pleased as punch if you could come. Also, it’s AXE’s 21st birthday too, so that is already mad hype. I ask you guys to make the trip down here, and enjoy some cool spring weather this Easter weekend. Thanks!
Seriously. Click here. Come check us out. :D

Oh yea. Smash bros 4 :D

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I’m sorry to just barge into your thread, but I really want to invite you guys to my tournament in April here in Tucson, Arizona. This is a big tournament I am running, and I would be pleased as punch if you could come. Also, it’s AXE’s 21st birthday too, so that is already mad hype. I ask you guys to make the trip down here, and enjoy some cool spring weather this Easter weekend. Thanks!
Seriously. Click here. Come check us out. :D

Oh yea. Smash bros 4 :D
Tournament in April in Arizona? That's going to be quite the drive....

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
about damn time he started that production. I wounder if he'll have another character contest? oh well I just hope I see characters that should heave been in the game.

@brett at like ike now can avoid tornados
If I had enough time prepare that, I probably had about enough time to react with pivot Bair, which is at less risk of getting hit than a frame-tight maneuver like that. Also, for the record, all my aerials hit MK out of tornado.
But that fact hardly helps the match-up anyway, because tornado isn't what beats Ike. Don't act like you know my character better than I do.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
If I had enough time prepare that, I probably had about enough time to react with pivot Bair, which is at less risk of getting hit than a frame-tight maneuver like that. Also, for the record, all my aerials hit MK out of tornado.
But that fact hardly helps the match-up anyway, because tornado isn't what beats Ike. Don't act like you know my character better than I do.
For the record I never said I knew anything about your character, I was sharing a video of an option to avoid being hit with a Mk tornado/PSC. (i thought it was an interesting video).

Denti

Smash Master
maybe, but the catch is that i might have to kick y'all out early sunday morning (like 7am early).
That's fine I guess. I gota check my other options though because 7 am is guna be a pain to wake up at. Leme check with Dojo and see where he is housing. I think Alpa man or whatever said he could house.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Swaka I think you might possibly be stuck in a rut. And this rut is known as autopilot.
Or at least a variation of AP. I think you might be hampering a little too much on character vs character, rather than the player using the character vs etc. Yadayadayada.
Its great and essential to take advantage of character differences, but player differences wins games. Adapting wins gams. Observing wins games. Abusing it all, character and player, is whatll help you start noticing improvement. Then you can give everyone a piece of the b**** pudding. Just my two rupees.

:phone:

Denti

Smash Master
Swaka I think you might possibly be stuck in a rut. And this rut is known as autopilot.
Or at least a variation of AP. I think you might be hampering a little too much on character vs character, rather than the player using the character vs etc. Yadayadayada.
Its great and essential to take advantage of character differences, but player differences wins games. Adapting wins gams. Observing wins games. Abusing it all, character and player, is whatll help you start noticing improvement. Then you can give everyone a piece of the b**** pudding. Just my two rupees.

I completely agree with this ^^^^

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion

I completely agree with this ^^^^

/backtolurking

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
By the way, I got a new car stereo installed that has a video input. If we take my car on trips you guys will be able to play Smash on my stereo, which now has Infinity brand speakers (no, really, I'm not joking) and two 10s in the trunk. The screen is about the same size as Denti's thingymajig, but now the person in the front seat won't be turning their neck super far to the side to play :p

knuckles213

Smash Ace

nah dude, it just my skill level as a player is low and I'm trying to find ways of improving, but its hard when your the only player in your city having to travel X amount of hours to another city just to practice with others (after putting in hours of practice by yourself with CPUs or practicing technique). plus I'm always playing on a wii that can't save matches so I can't rewatch them to see what I'm doing wrong or at least get them critique. Wifi isn't an option since where I'm at I cant get wifi on campus.

Are you responding to what I said to brett or what happen Sunday?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Playing against CPUs or watching replays won't really get you very far. Doing the same thing over and over won't train you in anything new. Try changing the CPU behavior or try adding an extra challenge if you can't play consistent games against a player who drives you competitively. You could try fighting two level 9 computers on a team against you with team attack off or try making the CPU have a level 9 handicap to your level 1. You could also try playing in super speed mode, then see how you do in normal mode to see the difference.

Hours of practice against computer opponents is useless unless you're doing something out of the norm to try and adjust a normal skill.

Denti

Smash Master
I know me and alsm sometimes put our handicap to 300% damage. I think it helps a ton with learning a character. It teaches you how to actually space without getting hit, hard zoning. I also only have the CPU character as random and the stage as random, so things switch up often.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
^ Yep, that's what I do for the most part. Another thing that really helps is a visual, aka watching matches several times over and analyzing it, whether it be your own matches or another. That's another thing I do.

I also play other fighters, and just focus on playing smart and getting reads from the basic stuff I only know, and then transfer that to Brawl.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
All of those are smart decisions and great ways to improve with what resources you have swaker. Don't sell yourself short by saying your skill is low. It's hard, and probably everyone can relate to this, but that moment where you're all like "**** this game, **** this character, **** the smash scene, I suck, I hate MetaKnight, I hate snake, I hate infinitys amazing reads, **** denti camping, ALSM buffers everything and it's bull****" is usually when your on the verge of a breakthrough. Then you realize something and you're like "motha ****a WHAT?!" but you'll never get that breakthrough unless you yourself keep that mindset at least 85% of the time. Think, I got you next time homie, not, ****in A I'm such a scrub.

Denti

Smash Master
What Disqo is saying now is what I wish somebody told me after every tournament ;_;

I know this is coming from an Olimar main but I honestly don't think MUs really play a huge role in Brawl (Unless it's like a -3 or -4 mu, but at that point I think you should just either pick a new character or pick a secondary). I just try to recognize what my opponent's character can do, then I fight them as a player. I do my best to try and think about a MU objectively rather than subjectively. I mean, you can't fight ALSM's rob and decide how that MU goes. ALSM probably doesn't know anything about rob other than what he's seen batou do or what he's seen in videos. But what ALSM does know your fox so that's probably why he was doing as well as he did. There are a ton of variables that decide the outcome of a match other than character MUs. : O

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
What Disqo is saying now is what I wish somebody told me after every tournament ;_;

I know this is coming from an Olimar main but I honestly don't think MUs really play a huge role in Brawl (Unless it's like a -3 or -4 mu, but at that point I think you should just either pick a new character or pick a secondary). I just try to recognize what my opponent's character can do, then I fight them as a player. I do my best to try and think about a MU objectively rather than subjectively. I mean, you can't fight ALSM's rob and decide how that MU goes. ALSM probably doesn't know anything about rob other than what he's seen batou do or what he's seen in videos. But what ALSM does know your fox so that's probably why he was doing as well as he did. There are a ton of variables that decide the outcome of a match other than character MUs. : O
Yup.
Play MY rob...I'll give you the business.
Slowely and surely I"ll get to the top.

knuckles213

Smash Ace

MUs or ratios don't matter me because I still play them no matter what. ALSM is hard to fight in general and has been playing longer than I have, he could pick any character and do well, because of his skill level vs mine. I just have to get better and think about what do I have to do to win/improve each time I fight. and besides fox is not that hard of a character to fight

Neon!

Smash Lord
I mean, you can't fight ALSM's rob and decide how that MU goes. ALSM probably doesn't know anything about rob other than what he's seen batou do or what he's seen in videos. But what ALSM does know your fox so that's probably why he was doing as well as he did. There are a ton of variables that decide the outcome of a match other than character MUs. : O
Could this possibly be a reference to the time i beat your fox with MY rob in a money match? lol

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Sorry guys, I really want to go, but then there are things I need to take care of. However, I will be at the Lotus tournament just to see you guys and get some friendlies in. I won't enter, seeing as I have to leave at a certain time.

Top Bottom