• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Count to 9 - G&W Video Thread + Judgement Highlights

Oracle

Smash Master
Nausicaa I swear all you do is go into character boards and call people bad. How about you actually do something in a tournament before you give your 'advice'

Zwarm

Smash Hero
My day 1 G&W, and it shows. I have some things down with him, but I miss a lot of L-cancels, and I should have been punished for a lot of the mistakes I made, but luckily I wasn't. I was playing a lot better with him towards the end of the night off camera, this was only the second game I played all night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agI40CN3sIE

I start out this 1v1 crew battle as G&W as well, against Marth. I see why you guys don't like the MU, though I think I was doing pretty well for the first two stocks, and the last two were just a bust. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHc0lle5SUQ

Also sup Juushichi :3

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i watched for like a minute, and you do some of the same stuff i do (wavebouncing bacon to get away from the ledge AND to face the ledge GJ!)

i like your GNW, tho i didn't see a lot of bacon (based off the first match). needs more bacon. Otherwise, i think your GNW is comin a long fine

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm going to be posting a G&W hammer/KO compilation vid up soon so look forward to that. It isn't anything crazy, and my video editing skills are minimal, so it won't be on a hollywood budget or anything.

Hammer too hype.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Won the Dayton tournament.

3-1 in Winner's Finals vs Soul Pech (Diddy/Jigglypuff). I played all MK, though.
3-2 in Grand Finals vs Suyon (Ike). I played Sheik and went 1-2, playing GnW 2-0.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Good stuff man!
Did you feel like you couldn't go all GnW or what?

And anything in particular that put in work?

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I didn't really want to play GnW vs Puff for the xyzillionth time and it was a bit of a mindgame since I double-blinded into MK. He (Pech) hates playing against my Marth, so I knew I would get another character to start game 1.

vs Suyon, he was a long-time training partner of mine and I felt like my Sheik does better vs his Ike. Fortunately, I pulled it up.

jtm94

Smash Lord
entered a Melee/PM tourney last Saturday. I had a super fun grand finals set with my friend Woody.

GNW vs Falco: http://www.twitch.tv/team2a/b/513374725?t=3h51m12s

Let me know what you think. What are some cool tricks that I should know? I'm pretty new to GNW and I'd definitely like to learn more.
SWEET told me you played him and I was excited. You actually did pretty good for never playing him in this game.

Things you could have went for more:
On fastfallers all grabs pretty much lead into ANYTHING. I would recommend nair or judgement hammer for style. And I saw you chaingrab, GnW can do that too,
Onfastfallers as you saw uair can juggle them forever, and at higher percents it will lead into fair or nair.
UpB leads into nair at a specific & for each character.
The gattling combo is most dope on a lot of the cast. Land first frame of dash attack and input UpA to cancel it into upsmash.(Needs control changing to do with ease)
Dtilt is really nice at the edge, You were using the jab to harass Falco at the edge, but the lower/farther away hitboxes of dtilt send directly away from GnW at a pretty horizontal angle. It isn't extremely hard to time and if they don't sweetspot it it will gimp Falco super early.
GnW has amazing vertical recovery, don't be afraid to commit offstage. A strong fair offstage will gimp/KO most of the cast.
UpTilt is pretty versatile against fastfallers and will beat out Falco's dair and juggles into whatever you want.
You didn't use bacon at all, which isn't bad, but it is pretty FREE harassment at mid ranges AND it autocancels like Falco lasers when you land. If you use it aim for SH double bacon.
All of GnW's aerials have landing hitboxes that make them fairly safe on shield. If you l-cancel them notably bair/dair you can UpB away from their shield before they can punish you for landing hits on shield.
The landing hitbox of dair puts your opponent into A LOT of stun and you can net guaranteed nair, SideB, fair, or even charged UpSmash at times.
Uair and UpB both hit on frame 1.
You can release GnW's bucket even when it isn't full by pressing DownB then DownB again.
I didn't see you use chair that much, FTilt is another fairly strong lasting hitbox that can be used as a defense, at the edge, however you want.
Do not overuse downthrow(you didn't) and condition the opponent for Upthrow DI, then hit them with dthrow. If they miss the tech you get free jab reset regrabs, fsmashes, ftilt, dtilts, whatever you want.

I hope that covers a lot. Let us know if you're curious about any move in particular or best options in certain scenarios.

shapular

Smash Ace
Here's a match from the tournament I went to on Saturday. It starts at about 5:30:00. http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/513341980

I would appreciate some feedback and maybe some advice in particular on the Peach matchup since I got owned hard by this guy and by another Peach I played in a Reddit tournament a while back. I only played G&W for the first match here since I had already gotten owned pretty badly by the same guy earlier in the tournament and wanted to try something different.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Oh, here it is. Looks like it's on Youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47J4f2PWCYQ
You really didn't play that bad.

You just got punished for mistakes at the edge. like that bold fair, and the air dodge.

You could definitely try going for more bair, dair isn't that optimal against Peach because downsmash wrecks, and throwing out ftilt to clank with turnips perhaps.

Just don't be so bold to jump onto the stage with attacks, go to the ledge, plank a bit, gain control of the match then go back in.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Okay, so I watched this.

You got bopped, yeah. I don't want to seem like I'm harping too bad, but... there are two main things that I noticed here.

1. You do not look like you have control over your character's movement.

Let me be very clear when I say this. Mr. Game and Watch is a simple and straightforward character. All of his tools, I think are pretty obvious. But in order to emphasize this in terms of this video, I will say this. Zelda is not a very mobile character. Do not be fooled by teleport. It is fake and you can hit her very easily out of the startup. She controls very short bursts of space in front of her with ground speed. Her ground attack speed is not very good. GnW has one of the best front-facing spacing moves in the game. Use it. Early. Often. Zelda's main answer to this is to jump and try to toe (best air to air) You can bait that by being grounded and using your movement. Your movement looked jerky, unnatural, green and franky... very unsure. You didn't really feel like you knew what you wanted to do.

2. You do not look like you have a solid punish game.

For some reason (maybe you play more vs fast fallers?), you like to use a lot of dair. It does hit below him, ground bounce and do all of that other cool stuff. But it's so-zetta-slow. Zelda is floaty and you won't get followups (one time you tried in game 1, you got stuffed by nayru). You looked very uncomfortable with fair and nair, short hops, fullhops. You shield-grabbed a lot and gave up too much stage control and did the biggest taboo an aspiring 'Watch player can do... you jumped and used bacon for no reason. It was literally a filler. You had grabs that went into up-B at 10% on floaties. You didn't seek to continue the juggle with upair or get stage position with fair. You've got to have a plan when you get that hit.

---

In game two, your movement looked a little better and you punished the start-up of teleport which is very punishable. Good job on that. Oh... you also kept wanting to up B into Zelda in order to get around the din's orbs. Stop that. You gave him free toes/various aerials so many times it's not even funny. You can stall with bucket and absorb those.

Here is more good news, though. I don't think that he is that the level where he is that much better than you are. And, well... Zelda is not actually a very difficult match up for GnW. I saw your match and I just saw missed opportunities, not really an uphill battle. With some sharpening, I think you could really give him a run for his money.

---

Suggestions on things to try (on your own):
Go into training mode and throw out aerials. Full hop and short hop. RAR. Repeatedly. Measure the differences, see what they cover. Try to imagine the space they hit.
Go into training mode or 1P timed mode and free run around the stages. Put the bottom 7 on random, waveland, wave dash, pivot, double jump around. Get a good feel of your layouts, how fast you can move and what physical space you can access. Once you feel comfortable, go to counterpicks. Make a routine of this.

Suggestions on things to try (vs others--- after personal training):
Play GnW with no Chef.
Play GnW with minimal up B OoS.
Play GnW trying not to get stuck in shield at all. (roll, spot dodge, put your self physically in better positions not to get hit)
When you have to shield, use alternative options. WD OOS. Up-air OoS, Roll, Spot dodge. Wait in Shield. Don't always shield grab.
Land grabs without shielding.

There's more, but these are basics that I think every GnW should work on in terms of movement and move choice. Play actively. I'm not sure how good I am compared to other GnW players (we all do things differently), though I do think I'm seasoned... but this helped me a lot when I wanted to get to the next level of play.

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I really appreciate your help. I'm really green atm. Only been to three or four tournaments total. Fortunately, I have many opportunities to play against other people at or above (mostly above) my level. I'll be able to implement a lot of your suggestions. Again, thank you so much for your help. I'll work to get more comfortable with G&W and see if I can get myself on stream again at tomorrow's tournament.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
No problem. I like seeing new GnW players take a real interest in the character.

I think we have a pretty good, dedicated playerbase. Just have to keep working at it.

It would be nice if Uncle Dakpo showed up some more to give us some free tech/videos drop a line and check in. Maybe give some critiques/get some vids for Meiling's GnW combo video.

Italia06823834

Smash Cadet
It would be nice if Uncle Dakpo showed up some more to give us some free tech/videos drop a line and check in. Maybe give some critiques/get some vids for Meiling's GnW combo video.
Haha watching his matches is sometimes like watching a combo video (like the one he posted against Falcon in the "Request to Make G&W Good" thread). I wish I had the ability to record some matches (can it be done with Dolphin/Netplay?). I'd love for some critique from you guys/maybe get one combo suitable for use in a video.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Lol Im always here. It's just no one asks me to critique them. I would totally do it

Yung Mei

dakpo confirmed for ultra weenie

dakpo, got any new technology you wanna share with the class? (being totally serious, i haven't checked with anyone on new tech and ****. hopefully there is)
also, i made this if anyone wants to offer any additional input or additional options

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~

dakpo, got any new technology you wanna share with the class? (being totally serious, i haven't checked with anyone on new tech and ****. hopefully there is)
also, i made this if anyone wants to offer any additional input or additional options
Stealing some of this, thanks.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Ok. Here's me getting bopped. Enjoy.
So first off, this is constructive criticism and should not be taken personally! This is to make you better of course

TLDR: alright, Im going to make some bold claims here.
You don't know how to sweet spot the ledge with GnW. LEARN IT, you wont be able to hang with better players if you can't.
Learn to L cancel, you missed it A LOT
Stop jumping randomly. Go look where I pointed it out. You lose a lot of spacing and stage control
Work on punish game/Combos
Be more aggressive with Down Tilts

0:05 You did nothing with that full hop. You could have B reversed bacon or wave-landed to him. You movement needs a little work
0:08 on floaty characters try- Up Throw->Up air->Up B->then depending where you are, try to catch with him with whatever airial you see fit ( gotta feel it)
0:12 No need to jump at all
0:16 Up throw->Up air->Up B->then depending where you are, try to catch with him with whatever airial you see fit ( gotta feel it)
0:22 Cant let someone get away with just dash attacking your shield
0:30 Again, no need to jump
0:32 Missed the L cancel. work on spacing the bair a little better
0:38 Missed L Cancel
0:40 You hit her away, you should be filling the air with Bacon. That trade would have never ended with you getting kicked
0:50 Bucket the fire. If she approaches, then just oil spill her. It will condition her not to spam it.
0:52 Cant let someone get away with just dash attacking your shield! Up B out of Shield!
1:00 Missed L cancel
1:01 chase with wavedash out of shield down tilt
1:02 Again, no need to jump
1:03 Again, no need to jump
1:06 Again, no need to jump, just grab the ledge
1:10 Now you should down throw (too high %) and down smash. If she starts to tech, then tech chase with dacus!
1:13 after missing the up air, start fill the air with bacon, dont just land. You are wasting a lot of time
1:15 Again, no need to jump
1:17 Again, no need to jump
1:22 Again, no need to jump, You got punished for it this time. Explore out of shield options such as wavedash out of shield
1:40 If you don't think you can make a combo, fill the skies with bacon glory
1:46 Again, no need to jump
1:50 I super dislike approaching with Nair. Try wavedashing in and Down Tilting. MUUUCH safer
1:54 Gave up a free back air
1:59 why jump? just fall back and grab the ledge
2:16 Again, no need to jump
2:22 Go sweet spot the ledge
3:02 Again, no need to jump
3:07 Again, no need to jump
3:17 You got lucky he was bad and randomly threw out a forward smashes, you should have gone low and tried to sweet spot the ledge.
3:18 You have to L cancel the key
3:23 Stop being afraid of fire and bucket it. If you wanna be fancy and super safe, then fall past it and up it to destroy it, then sweet spot the ledge
3:24 Attack him! dont air dodge when you have the advantage
3:31 Up air the fire
3:34 Bucket the fire
3:37 Again, no need to jump
3:40 Again, no need to jump
3:45 Again, no need to jump and bad approach
4:02 was that forward throw? almost NEVER do any throw besides Up or Down. Imo they are garbage and pretty much useless. The only reason i could see anyone using them
4:05 lol you missed by a long shot. if you want to go out and hit her, make sure she doesnt have a second jump, and you can hit her before she teleports
4:06 you have to recover right
4:16 Gotta punish people hitting your shield
4:20sih - gotta tech man
4:27 YOU GOTTA BUCKET
4:32 Recover correctly, sweet spot the ledge
4:41 Again, no need to jump
4:46 Again, no need to jump
4:49 missed L cancel
4:51 Missed L Cancel
5:16 Bucket plzzz
5:20 recover right plzzz
5:24 Missed L cancel
5:38 missed ; canel
5:57 Again, no need to jump
6:00 Down be bro
6:04 missed L cancel
6:20 do I even need to say it?
6:27 missed L cancel

Attachments

Dakpo

Smash Lord

ummm, not sure if its that useful, but you can run off the side of a ledge and B reverse Bacon and get low lag single bacon
Also, at the end of a up B combo, try to spike with Dair then fast fall and Up air them right before you land. I have extended my combos for a consistent 78% or more vs some characters

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Now that is what I'm looking for. Thank you very much! Expect to see a lot more vids from me this spring and summer. I'm shooting for most improved before I get to college.

On a side note, what is the thing you attached to your post?

Yung Mei

ummm, not sure if its that useful, but you can run off the side of a ledge and B reverse Bacon and get low lag single bacon
Also, at the end of a up B combo, try to spike with Dair then fast fall and Up air them right before you land. I have extended my combos for a consistent 78% or more vs some characters
are you talking about this?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
On a side note, what is the thing you attached to your post?
Ignore that lol

Also Meiling, I have a question for you. Are you using using dacus in this match? or that thing you always talk about. Also, do I have to hit someones shield to do the gatling combo thing?

CoolDad2

Smash Cadet
i've been playing game and watch for a couple of months now and i've gotten a good share of kills with dair followed by nair (hop depending on matchup/percentage) not sure if i'm not the only one who does this consistently--just putting it out there.

also @ Dakpo Dakpo gatling combo connects whenever the dash attack makes contact so it works whether you hit a shield(making it harder to punish your dash attack) or the character himself (preferable).
p.s. i can't seem to get down my DACUS consistently. I've tried doing it with L set to Attack and by clawing the A button. I land a DACUS 1/5 times at best. Any tips on the timing?

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
i've been playing game and watch for a couple of months now and i've gotten a good share of kills with dair followed by nair (hop depending on matchup/percentage) not sure if i'm not the only one who does this consistently--just putting it out there.
You can Also connect Up Smash on mid/fast fallers

also @ Dakpo Dakpo gatling combo connects whenever the dash attack makes contact so it works whether you hit a shield(making it harder to punish your dash attack) or the character himself (preferable).
Sorry if my question was worded poorly, I knew you had to hit something. I was hoping that you could do it without

p.s. i can't seem to get down my DACUS consistently. I've tried doing it with L set to Attack and by clawing the A button. I land a DACUS 1/5 times at best. Any tips on the timing?
Try use a claw grip, Thats how I do it

Yung Mei

Ignore that lol

Also Meiling, I have a question for you. Are you using using dacus in this match? or that thing you always talk about. Also, do I have to hit someones shield to do the gatling combo thing?
dacus, neigh. I can't do dacus at all, so i dont even bother with it. Gatling however works as long as you hit with the beginning of the dash attack. its basically the same as the dacus input, its just that the dash attack has to connect with something.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I can DACUS by using R set to attack which I always have set just incase, and I can do it by having my pointer finger on the A Button and thumb on the c-stick in a semi-claw fashion.

Top Bottom