• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Count to 9 - G&W Video Thread + Judgement Highlights

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Looks like I'm going to have to start clawing the controller then. Gatling is pretty easy though, and it's great for people who miss techs/land onstage with laggy recovery moves.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I don't think you should force yourself to claw if you don't want to, but the way I hold my pointer finger on the Z button I can go pseudo claw super easy.
Setting R to attack could be just as useful.

Gattling combo is weird, the gattling grab or boost grab is considerably useless, but it looks kinda neat. His grab is just so kinda slow and in the time you boost grabbed you could have just jump-cancel grabbed.

I really want to start working on pillaring combos with GnW. I've gotten a really solid feel for juggles and landing stuff out of UpB, but I want to start landing short hopped uair, then double jump fast-fall dair so I hit with meteor AND the landing hitbox so I can short hop uair and just keep going, or end with whatever I want.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I don't think you should force yourself to claw if you don't want to, but the way I hold my pointer finger on the Z button I can go pseudo claw super easy.
Setting R to attack could be just as useful.

Gattling combo is weird, the gattling grab or boost grab is considerably useless, but it looks kinda neat. His grab is just so kinda slow and in the time you boost grabbed you could have just jump-cancel grabbed.

I really want to start working on pillaring combos with GnW. I've gotten a really solid feel for juggles and landing stuff out of UpB, but I want to start landing short hopped uair, then double jump fast-fall dair so I hit with meteor AND the landing hitbox so I can short hop uair and just keep going, or end with whatever I want.
i refute that with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MVn0LcX7p8#t=295

Italia06823834

Smash Cadet
Also Meiling, I have a question for you. Are you using using dacus in this match? or that thing you always talk about. Also, do I have to hit someones shield to do the gatling combo thing?
Shield or actually hit them. The hit on shield canceling into a grab really easy or a sometimes I USmash to "escape" since you slide far away (aka when I was already set in doing UpSmash anyway). But when you hit them they should be hit the same direction as your slide so then you can connect the UpSmash fairly easily.

Found a video with Meiling Gattling here at about 17 seconds into the video. There's also ones that hits Roy's shield around 1:07 and 1:20. Though I don't know why it slid off the stage I seem to always stop at the ledge of the stage/platforms. Also Honorable mention to that HAMMER BRAVERY at 1:30.

Looks like I'm going to have to start clawing the controller then. Gatling is pretty easy though, and it's great for people who miss techs/land onstage with laggy recovery moves.

You shouldn't have to claw if you don't want to. I Gattling/DACUS by flicking down on the c-stick (to dash attack) then pressing Up and L (L set to attack).

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Please help me fill this out all, trying to complete it as moderately accurate as possible.

I know some MUs won't be agreed on, if there is enough disagreement they can be left blank and we will ask the character on the other side.

I filled it in based on my moderate knowledge of some characters, but I don't get to face every char a lot.

green: advantageous
light green: slightly advantageous
grey: Even or tbd
yellow: slightly disadvantageous
Orange: disadvantageous

Attachments

1FD

Smash Ace
I'm looking for someone to be a contact for the Skype Group for GW to add the the community info-hub of it.
Is anyone here active + in the skype group, and want to be listed as a Rep for the Skype Group for GW and would you be up for having your smashboards + skype + twitch/youtube/etc in the contact collection so anytime someone wants to join the GW skype group they'll know where to go?

Contact me about it somehow.
Also, my Skype is Extra Blue Pajamas

Thanks!

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
oh god, thats the roy player that slaps the **** out of me/crew mate

ive resorted to just learning MK/Donkey Kong for the off chance that i ever have to play him in tourney

gnw/roy is just a terrible matchup for us, entirely IMO

Italia06823834

Smash Cadet
GnW v anyone with a sword is a tough matchup I think (also Yoishi's Story definitely doesn't help that matchup). Donkey Kong as a counter character is interesting though. He is rather fun.

Last edited:

Artimus

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow>Dacus. Normally it'll end up being a gatling because of human error and the longer window. But ooooooh if they miss that tech, I normally wait a second because of the knee-jerk reaction people have when about to be thrown by GW.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
I've got an abundance of GnW video from this last weekend. Was gonna wait until AlfaStryke put them up on Columbus Smash's YT channel, but decided to just link them here.

AlfaCollusion 1 - Pools
vs 1-up (ROB) @ 10:02-23:38
vs Steve (Peach) @ 1:05:15-1:13:41

--- There is a vid of my TL in pools vs Mark's Ness @50:45-01:03:40, but you can ignore that lol.

AlfaCollusion 2 - Bracket - Losers
vs 1-up (ROB) @ 04:25-21:25
vs Shenanigans (Pikachu) LQF @ 30:25-39:30
vs Suyon (Ike) LSF @ 43:33-56:00

Sorry for poor audio/video/gameplay quality. Critiques are absolutely welcome, though I have already combed through and took some notes on these sets.

Last edited:

Italia06823834

Smash Cadet
Those were some really good matches. I watched the stream but I'll have to watch again and take a closer look at the things he was doing.

Italia06823834

Smash Cadet
Ok, by no means in depth or anything but mostly just quick things I saw from Nintendude at CW6. Its mostly just general things the commentators didn't bring up (though they get better towards the end as the learn about G&W so I have less to add). I am not going to mention missed L-Cancels and things like that at x seconds or whatever. Comments should be roughly chronological though.

Winners Quarters vs The Doug:

• Key clanks with Turnips
  • Fair beats a lot of Peach's aerials.
  • I really liked the 2 pills then surprise release of the bucket. Not a kill like 3 would be but an easy 40%.
  • The Up B -> Bucket stall on opponents new life worked fairly well against Mario. I still think that is MU dependent though. Anyone who can chase upward (e.g. Bowser) might just get and easy kill while you float.
  • Edguarding dominated the Mario match. Mario missed sweet spotting basically every time.
Winner's Semis vs Chillin (AKA Combo City)

• Game 1
    • I think Nintendude could have killed Chillin a lot earlier in some cases. Throws over 80% he went for a few U-airs and missed entirely or didn't get followups when Nair or Fair would have killed or at least set up an edge guard opportunity.
    • Wolf can't really chase the UpB escapes.
  • Game 2
    • I hate that stage. Those platforms let opponents chase G&W upwards and Chillin had some really long combos.
    • The UpB>Bucket stall kind of works, but Chillin punished as G&W was coming back down.
    • Can you sweetspot the ledge on that stage or is it too low? Either way the one recovery was way to high and you paid for it with a stock.
    • Again went for some Uairs where I think Fair would've been better at higher percents (especially the one right before the end).
    • CouchCancel forward smash with Bucket Braking may have helped keep some stocks. But that can be risky if you get hit by a non CC-able move
    • Nice almost comeback though.
  • Game 3
    • Those Chain grabs...
    • I like the incorporation of DACG but at 80% it was never going to work. Gattling USmash would have been much better there.
    • Good Match overall I'd say.
  • Game 4
    • Missed Sweetspots = Lost Stocks !!!!!
    • Style points for getting the Balloon for whatever that's worth.
    • Bacon ruined some probable kills. But that's the risk you take when using it as an approach.
    • Many missed edguards.
      • Some because of Bacon (but I think Bacon is still the way to go)
      • Others just mistimed attack (hit Chillin onto the stage once for example and basically died shortly after because of it).
    • Chillin was just really on this match, but mistakes killed you. Maybe not enough to say they totally lost the match, but it should have been much closer at least.
  • Game 5
    • Before the second kill on Wolf again Fair or Nair inistead of Uair would've been better I think (He was at 96%). It worked out anyway though but it seems like a risk to drag it out.
    • That Third stock was... not good. Floating down with Dairs and Bairs into Usmashes and Shines. Also I don't what was going on with the recovery right before the lost stock.
    • The UpB Bucket Stall on Chillin's new stocks seems to have worked for the most part.
  • Chillin just seems like he figured Ninetendude out a bit those last two matches. Started prediciting moves and punishing hard.
Loser's Quarters vs MilkMan
  • Game 1
    • Bad DI by MilkMan on the that Bair, good finish with the Nair
    • I lik ethe use of Nair to edgegaurd. Lucas doesn't have much to counteract it.
  • Game 2
    • Really good space control with Bacon. Make Lucas come to you.
    • Interesting choice not to Bucket Lucas' Ice move. Not sure if I like it or not. Leaning towards I do.

Loser's Semis vs East Coast Eddie

• Game 1
    • I love the attempt at the Hammer right off the bat. Ended up not being a big deal, but the potential for something is good.
    • Bacon pops Balloon i.e. victory is assured now.
    • I like all the Nairs. Seems really good against Snake's recovery.
    • Bacon counters the Grenades well.
    • Very Solid performance.
  • Game 2
    • Double Fair for the first kill. I love it. Right out of the C Falcon handbook.
    • Missed the edgeguard for that second Kill (about 5:00min in), but that was some pretty awesome recovery from Eddie, can't complain too much there.
    • Again Uairs instead of Fair/Nair. This time is was after you jumped and UpB'd so there wasn't going to be a chase anyway. (~6:20)
    • Still loving the Nairs on Snakes Recovery though.
  • Game 3
    • More of the same
    • Did start using more Fair/Nairs instead of Uair at higher percents for edgeguard setups though.
  • Nice clean set overall.
Loser's Finals vs Cyrain

• Game 1
    • Great combo to start. But an unnecessary jump part way through probably cost you the immediate kill and in the long run took 37% that could have been avoided
    • That first death :urg:
    • Missed edgeguard gets you killed.
    • Shinespike eats UpB for breakfast
    • This match could've been won I think but some very unfortunate deaths spoiled it.
  • Game 2
    • Not really a fan of the stage choice, but maybe that's just me.
    • First Death...Nnooo DDIIIII. Fox's Upsmash is just ridiculously good though...
    • Chain grab to the Charged USmash was a thing of beauty.
    • Chain grab again. Then a good edgeguard.
    • The last combo was great too.
    • Not really much to bring up overall. Just GDubs doing GDubs stuff. Meiling should be happy with this match for her upcoming combo video though.
  • Game 3
    • Upsmash central to start the match. The second is mostly Cyrain's fault for just standing up in place though.
    • High recovery against Fox is super risky, but then again low recovery risks the Shinespike... not sure which is better.
    • Again just more GDubs stuff.
  • Game 4
    • Switch to Falco is a bold choice for Cyrain I think.
    • Tough for Falco to get through Bacon, especailly with the over head platform. Not much stopping him from just lasering though.
    • DTilt is so good against missed sweetspots, but we knew that already.
    • At about 12:00 BUCKET BRAKE THAT NAIR! If you're gunna crouch at the ledge the better be ready to bucket brake otherwise you just die...
  • Should have won this set in 3.
GRAND FINALS VS CHILLIN
  • Game 1
    • Chillin still Couch Canceling the DTilt. Here's one senario I think FTilt/UTilt would serve better.
    • ~1:30 I don't think Dair > USmash was ever going to work there. Except maybe with 0 DI from Chillin. Nair would've serve better then USmash.
    • ~1:53 can you CC then bucket brake Wolf's FSmash?
    • I have no idea how you could've gotten out of Chillin's last combo. Way to not let it get to you though. Finished strong.
  • Game 2
    • Excellent job that time. Much better combo game that previously. Chillin's SD really crushed him though.
  • Game 3
    • He's baiting that key just like the last set. Stop Falling for it!
    • 5:50 Don't go into that Couch Cancel :(
    • Overall pretty good Match though
  • BRACKET RESET HYPE!!!
  • Not much more that I feel like I haven't mentioned already.
  • Game 1
    • ~10:00 Commenters talk about how low the Turtle covers. It has a landing hitbox as does Uair if I remember correctly.
    • Good match. Commenters are doing a decent job. Less for me to write that means.
  • Game 2
    • Commenters still spot on with Chillin baiting the Dair.
  • Game 3
    • Nair to cover the low recover is super good. G&W can go super deep on edgeguards. Use that.
  • Game 4
    • Again, jumping out with Nair for the edgeguard is great.
    • Ugh, Saved Chillin with the UpB. Not sure why you even UpB'd then. Fast Fall would've gotten you away from the Wolf's Over B
    • Then more slowly falling Dairs that Chillin punishes...
  • I think Nintendude could've won this but he got too predicatable on recovery and those Dairs. Chillin punshed everything hard.

Overall, I couldn't help but notice... the commentators have no clue the thigns G&W can do (as usually lol). They were baffled by jumps after UpB, the Lights above Judgment, DACG etc.
On a serious overall (all matches) note, I think there's a lot of missed Uairs that would've been better as Fairs or Nairs. Not a lot of Dash Dances or Wave Dashes. G&W punish game is crazy good. Baiting out an attack with DD/WDing is a useful tool. Not a lot of FTilt and Utilt though. DTilt is great but FTilt clinks with basically everything and the better suited to some situations I think. UTilt is great for starting combos. Good space control with Bacon though. And really can someone explain why I see people going for Nair in situations where you won't be able to chase upward anymore when a Fair/Nair will kill or setup an edgeguard???

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I've got a couple of bo3 sets that I'd like criticism on. The video is at http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/522181325 It should still be there when you guys see this, unlike last time. The first set starts at about 3:15:30, and the second set starts at about 3:26:50. If you only pick one set to watch, the second one would be better since it's against a better player and I lost the match. Thanks.

shapular

Smash Ace
Okay guys, I got in some wifi matches against Zhime, AND I figured out how to link to a point in a Twitch video. Here's the link: http://www.twitch.tv/zerudahime/b/525006662?t=16m0s We go pretty even for the first 20-30 minutes or so and after that I don't play as well and get two- and three-stocked. As always, criticism would be appreciated since I want to get at least good enough to win some money in tournaments.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Number one thing is get off the ledge. You spent WAY too much time. Practice using your invincibility and ledge dashing or fairing your way back on. Playing around with the din's fire doesn't work because Zelda will always have time to put another down before you clear the lot, and in the end she doesn't care because she is feeling no pressure from you.

Also remember that Up-B kills dins. If he puts one above your head and tries to pressure you with it just Up-B.

I might comment more later.

Nahpro

Smash Cadet
Hey all! Nap here. It's definitely been a while, but I recently attended a tourney (ProMGig#2 in San Jose) with a video capture setup. So, I have some decent quality vids to revive this thread with:

Singles: http://www.twitch.tv/norcalsmash/b/538615079?t=34m05s

Should be Loser's Semi (Kirby), Loser's Finals (Lucas), and Grand Finals (T. Link, MK, and Fox)

Doubles: http://www.twitch.tv/norcalsmash/b/538502695?t=2h20m30s

Loser's Quarters?, Loser's Semi?, Loser's Final?

Crew Battle: http://www.twitch.tv/norcalsmash/b/538502695?t=4h14m55s

As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed. I got a good idea about what went wrong in some of my less stellar performances (for one thing, over reliance on fair flub compounded by poor spacing and the occasional dropped L-cancel) but I definitely want to see what another player's perspective might reveal.

shapular

Smash Ace
Hey all! Nap here. It's definitely been a while, but I recently attended a tourney (ProMGig#2 in San Jose) with a video capture setup. So, I have some decent quality vids to revive this thread with:

Singles: http://www.twitch.tv/norcalsmash/b/538615079?t=34m05s

Should be Loser's Semi (Kirby), Loser's Finals (Lucas), and Grand Finals (T. Link, MK, and Fox)

Doubles: http://www.twitch.tv/norcalsmash/b/538502695?t=2h20m30s

Loser's Quarters?, Loser's Semi?, Loser's Final?

Crew Battle: http://www.twitch.tv/norcalsmash/b/538502695?t=4h14m55s

As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed. I got a good idea about what went wrong in some of my less stellar performances (for one thing, over reliance on fair flub compounded by poor spacing and the occasional dropped L-cancel) but I definitely want to see what another player's perspective might reveal.
I only watched the first set (may watch the rest later), but I can point out a few things. Your G&W looks eerily similar to mine, so it's easy to see some things that could use work based on what I've been working on recently. First off, you need to work on your fair/bair spacing. You got shieldgrabbed three or four times the first match just because you landed right next to Kirby instead of hitting him with the end of your hitbox. There were also a couple of times the first match where you kept trying to go in hard with fair but the Kirby noticed it and shielded all of them easily. One of the times you were up two stocks to one, and you could have just stayed back and spaced him out with bacon, ftilt, and dtilt, or gone for a smarter approach. You might try using ftilt a little more as a kill move (although I can't really know how much you do this based on three games). Near the end of the first match when Kirby was above 100%, it could have been a great option, but you didn't throw it out at all. Your fairs out of up B are fine, but you seem to wait too long before you do nair. You can't really afford to wait to input that move, especially on floaties, since it comes out so slow. I think I saw you miss two or three by waiting to throw it out. There was one thing I really liked in particular that I want to point out. In the second match you were coming down above Kirby and he was getting ready to juggle you, but you did a B-reverse pan to get out of his way. That was super smart, I loved it.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I just played some netplay with Zhime. Thought it'd be nice if people knew about it. Starts at 15:12. I do a bit of character swapping to see if there was a more favorable matchup after a couple games but I end up staying GnW.

http://www.twitch.tv/zerudahime/b/541599510

On another note, I'm planning on showing up and kicking ass at CEO. So, look for me there <3

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
Hello, I would very much like for someone to watch my recent tournament set against a Diddy and give critique on my G&W.

http://www.twitch.tv/freesaltines/b/543008703 at 00:50:00
Biggest thing I saw was learning your followups. You seemed unsure what to do after a throw or a Dair, popping them up. More Uair and up-b's to extend combos. Also, save your jump till after the up-b when recovering sometimes (I do it most times).

shapular

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've got a couple more videos that I could use some critique on. The first one is against a guy I usually beat, but he recently picked up Wario and is getting quite good. I might lose to him soon if I don't get some matchup knowledge. The second one is the guy that almost always beats me. I do well when I get to go on stages like FoD like in the first game, but he usually bans it. I don't do as well on more neutral stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWDR1coQT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5WMUZ4xJapk#t=259

I was vsing this Pit with 8 buffer (netplay), so some things I couldn't bucket due to the buffer. Other than that, I'm not too sure what to do in situations like this. I would appreciate it if I could get some feedback, even though I feel like I'm posting the same thing.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Okay finally got around to watching some vids

@ shapular shapular Right now you are playing straight from a flow chart (mostly throw bacon>run forward>jump>double jump>bair). It's too predictable and even when you opponents don't necessarily see it coming if they maneuver themselves in away to get around your approach you put yourself in prime position to get punished. You should work on playing a lot more reactionary. Ask yourself, are you spending more time looking at G&W or your opponent? 99% of the time it's better to be aware of where your opponent is. From there it's just about keeping your options open to get the best punish. You have to avoid throwing out unnecessary moves or double jumps because that takes away from your ability to punish.

@ FinClauzel FinClauzel G&W can't really win the mid-long range game against Pit. When you find yourself at those distances you have to start to close the gap while avoiding his arrows. The best way to do this is to dash forward and crouch since Pit has to guess where you are and throw the arrow into the ground to try and hit you. Once you get into the mid-close range that's where you make him uncomfortable. But you can't just stand still because Pit can close the gap just as easily as you can. You should try DDing in and out of his dash attack range because you should be able to react to whatever he does (including arrow) with a full hop and get a full punish.

@ Dakpo Dakpo so good.

Now for my turn. I'm really struggling against Lucas, Link and MK right now. Keeping me out of GF's
vs Lucas (MM) http://www.twitch.tv/alabamasmashleague/b/548578775?t=1h26m
vs Lucas (WF) http://youtu.be/ueYk9ePX1Uw
vs MK & Link (LF) http://youtu.be/fv0cihL9cww
vs Mario & Kirby http://youtu.be/XhfulsfvDLw

Top Bottom