• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Count to 9 - G&W Video Thread + Judgement Highlights

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Vs:

Bowser

Captain Falcon

Charizard

King DeDeDe

Diddy Kong
Dakpo vs Disco (Diddy Kong)

Donkey Kong

Falco
Dakpo vs Kas (Falco)

Fox
Dakpo vs Kas (Fox)

Mr. Game & Watch

Ganondorf

Ike
Nap vs metroid (Ike)

Ivysaur

Jigglypuff
YellaFeva vs BairJew (Jigglypuff)

Link

Lucario

Lucas

Luigi

Mario

Marth
Dakpo vs Sethlon (Marth)

Ness
Dakpo vs Awestin (Ness)

Peach

Pikachu

Pit

R.O.B.

Sheik

Snake

Sonic

Squirtle

Toon Link

Wario

Wolf

Zelda

Zero Suit Samus

Passed Judgement lately? Here's the coolest ones!
The 14 Combo: 5 + 9
The Most Ridiculous Project M Match Ever
Possibly the greatest thing to happen in PM

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
last combo of the first match. that was sick haha. Im asssuming the GW is you, butterfuzz, altough i may be assuming wrong. since this is a GW thread, however, i will critique the GW regardless:

You did a lot of good things and played the space animals very well by using priority to ur advantage. U ended combos with kills nicely and got them where u needed. U also made great use of pan for edge guarding, and since the spacees are limited in their recovery, there is no shame in being predictable with that towards them (although it doesnt hurt to throw in a dair every once in awhile, like on the first stock of the first game where he was recovering from directly below).

Two things i would say you could improve on: 1. utilize your good WD and have a little more patience when it comes to tech reads. at :46 in the first match, u could have waited to see what he did, then either shielded the attack, or followed a roll with the WD instead of jab. u did do this a couple times in the second match tho, where u jabbed to try and catch the missed tech, and it did work, but i think the jab was only good for one option (missed tech), and thats the most unlikely one u will see. at about 1:50, an incorrect read got u get up attacked and then killed. IMO, i would have ran at him, baited the get up attack, WD backwards, then instantly WD forward for the grab. 2.i would have liked to see is more uair juggles > up b > fair/nair/hammer/dair/etc. they are really effective at racking damage on fastfallers. even throwing in some utilts > uairs off the up throws instead of going for the chaingrab or tech chase would have lead to much more damage that u ended up getting out of them.

but those are all just simple things i noticed that could be improved upon. i certainly dont play every match perfectly, so dont take it as me saying ur GW isnt good. u actually played very well overall and u kicked a$$ in the end so great job.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
hey i just watched ur link, ness, and fox/marth matches.

Biggest thing i noticed was that u had trouble following up from throws often. dont underestimate the power of ur up b particularly out of uthrow as it has the reach that an aerial cant provide you with and it combo easily into any of ur aerials or a judgement. this can be done too on f and b throw if they DI up, and if they DI away, then zone them out with a couple bacon shots or follow up with dash attack, fair or DACUS or smth else that is remotely safe if they jump away. the other thing is that i didnt see you use his WD. uve got a good hold on his L cancels, so if u can increase the mobility u have over GW, u compliment his ability to keep and opponent locked down, or to take a step back, bait and punish, and defend urself on a whole. When u get used to the WD, thats when dthrow shines as well, since u can shield, and WD OOS to follow their roll with ur very ranged dsmash or a another grab.

overall u did really well though and seemed like u had a good feel for GW in general. you used his pressure game really well between his jab and up b to keep urself safe on shield and made good use of follow ups off the key on shield since it has the second bounce hit. You also adapted pretty well to getting back onstage, particularly in the marth MU (this MU is ridiculous for GW anyways so i can see why u switched to shiek! lol) when u started jumping to get over him and nairing to prevent his edge guards.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm starting watching your vids now. Starting with you vs Ryker.

I played Ryker at APEX (and we + Raziek are a part of a Yomi crew: DRB). I'll be interesting to see how you play differently than I did.

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
Well he is a great player but isn't too familiar with the G&W matchup yet. I was just posting that because of how lucky I was with the 9's lol

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
It was pretty obviously he didn't. I never even consider down throw unless I'm on a platform because every player in my region will tech the hell out if it and G&W has more reliable setups out of his other throws.

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
Got a playlist of video's from a Tournament this weekend. Lots of me playing without any matchup experience.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5M8YgzumO-AR9PLSPZAWwp-jKiS1SHOD
I've been watching your videos and I do have something to say. First off great job, I like a lot of the things that you did, especially utilizing your upsmash effectively (something that I am working on right now). I did notice, more so in against the ivysaur, that you could have saved yourself by saving your jump for after the Up B. From what I watched you always jump -> Up B. From past match experience it is really a good viable mixup. It's really surprising to see a jump after the Up B and can give you that extra room to dodge, or even interrupt, that drop zone Fair etc. It's also useful where you go down for the Up B sweetspot and the opponent grabs the edge knowing that you will miss it, but hey you got the extra jump to get you over the edge. But of course use it as a mixup not every time. It adds another layer to G&W's recovery game. :)

oh and Marth is the exception lol you gotta sweetspot that ledge no matter what. I really like how you handled the Marth MU. that nair coming from your recovery was very smart.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys, I recorded some videos of my Ike versus Nap's G&W. The seven games are here. Any advice or criticism you guys may have for his G&W is appreciated.

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I recorded some videos of my Ike versus Nap's G&W. The seven games are here. Any advice or criticism you guys may have for his G&W is appreciated.
Metroid, your Ike is just too good lol. But I really liked what Nap was doing. Especially his upB -> jump -> Nair. Very solid edgeguarding with Nair too. Whenever you quick drawed he tried to WD back, but the better option is to spot dodge. Cause you avoid the JC grab out of quickdraw + the actual hitbox. Also, wheres the bacon to stop momentum or using it as an approach. Completely committing to a Fair invites a shield grab etc.

But other than that great job. That first match was pretty hype. Might need to include that in judgement highlights under ike xP

:phone:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I really enjoyed those matches metroid & Nap's play is solid overall. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that he kept stubbornly trying to force edgeguards. Even though he rarely died and it did --to some extent-- have an effect. That effect was mostly trades and G&W doesn't trade well. Transversely Ike loves to trade and also consistently got the better position out of the deal. The second thing I noticed was he wasn't respecting invincible Ike enough. He kept waiting too long in the center of the stage trying to save up a little more running room or squeak by with so kind of back and forth trick, but it's better to run out of room and be forced to the ledge than let Ike pick you up for easy kills. Of coarse it's nearly impossible to stay completely safe against those giant hitboxes on WarioWare and Green Hill Zone, (Was that a coincidence that you were repeating stages so often?) but Ike doesn't get freebie combo's over the edge.

But other than that, he's playing the matchup right. You guys go pretty even on reads it's just when you catch him doing something silly or unsafe, that he starts to lose

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
lmfao yellafeva that was probably one of the funniest things ive ever seen in a match ahah. Its all good people always make the stupidest mistakes with the easiest little things like that. weve all done them ahah

but yeah i enjoyed watching naps GW a lot. I agree with the edge guarding, i think he went below stage a bit too much and didnt always get the reward that he wanted. GW has some good onstage edge guarding thanks to his lingering disjoints. i find it better to be on the cautious side than the rambunctious side. he could also use up b a tad more to keep himself safe on shield and prevent all those grab combos he got into. He definitely had some great play though. i love his use of uair after up to hit ike while GW was recovering, and turn a gimp situation around and get a combo out of it.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm about two games in and I really like a lot of what Naps is doing already. His Up-B usage in combos is superb. Between Flux and darkmetroid, I think that they've covered a lot of the stuff he might want to look into in order to improve and I agree about where he went low vs Ike, but I can see why he did it and I think that it's mostly MU specific. Somehow I don't think he goes that low usually, but since Ike is forced to go low to defend against GnW's edgeguarding, I think he's more willing to take the risk.

Had he mixed up staying on stage to guard the ledge along with dropping low to stuff Ike, I think he would have been able to convert a bit more. He might want to mix up his recovery a bit more though. I know it's pretty discouraging to go high against Ike, but you were punishing him for going low so much. GnW can be ambiguous like Falcon out of Up-B (in fact, maybe a little more so...) because of his second jump, assuming he didn't use it.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
man i hate wifi play. its so laggy you cant even WD, L cancel, or do any techs properly really. ive got the wifi build cuz i like being able to use replays and the light press for WDing is really cool, but i never actually play online lol.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
im going to Gameclucks this weekend, and im planning on Money matching Silent wolf's wolf

wish me luck, and hopefully we can use the vids for matchup discussion

metroid1117

Smash Master
im going to Gameclucks this weekend, and im planning on Money matching Silent wolf's wolf

wish me luck, and hopefully we can use the vids for matchup discussion
Oh man, good luck with that >.>.

By the way guys, sorry for the late reply, but thanks for posting feedback regarding Nap's G&W. We're glad we can provide you guys with good footage :).

Nahpro

Smash Cadet
Hey, this is a little late, but I'm Nap. First post but a long time lurker. Thanks for the feedback everyone! Ever since I incorporated general tech skill into my regular play, I've become kind of a dumb player. I used to be much smarter about these things but now I make decisions and sometimes try things I know won't work so its nice to get another pair of eyes to look at my games. Like all those missed hammers for example. And attacking an invincible opponent. And trying to spike an Ike mid-aether...

Also, random question, how many of you guys play with tap jump off? It makes a huge difference for me (preserving that second jump after the up+B is incredibly important) even though it has made certain actions OoS a lot more difficult.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I have been seriously considering turning tap-jump off for G&W purely to save my double jump during UpB, lol. It's not a huge detriment to doing stuff OoS although it does make UpB OoS a bit slower.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
actually dettadeus, heres a little trick that i use to solve that problem. switch L to jump. it makes it far easier than having to move ur finger from y/x to b. so when u want to up b OOS, just press up and L, then immediately after press b. works like a charm for me (with no speed lost either), i also use that trick to multishine with wolf, and u can also up smash OOS in conjunction with the c stick if any particular character has a good up smash for it. you might think its weird at first since it uses three buttons, but when i started doing it, it took me no time at all to pick it up whatsoever.

Brikmaethor

Smash Cadet
I up B before double jumping quite often, actually, and I play with tap jump on. (Even though I never use it for anything...) It's really just a matter of practice, like learning to Utilt with tap jump. I recommend spending a little bit of time in training mode, checking to see how far the stick has to travel before Game & Watch jumps, then comparing that to how far it has to travel for the game to register the up special input. A delicate touch is all that is required to find the balance between the two.

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
actually dettadeus, heres a little trick that i use to solve that problem. switch L to jump. it makes it far easier than having to move ur finger from y/x to b. so when u want to up b OOS, just press up and L, then immediately after press b. works like a charm for me (with no speed lost either), i also use that trick to multishine with wolf, and u can also up smash OOS in conjunction with the c stick if any particular character has a good up smash for it. you might think its weird at first since it uses three buttons, but when i started doing it, it took me no time at all to pick it up whatsoever.
Yea I have the spring removed from my R button and it is assigned to jump. I exactly had that train of thought doing anything out of shield like upsmash or wavedashing. That's how I do any out of shield options.

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
Also, random question, how many of you guys play with tap jump off? It makes a huge difference for me (preserving that second jump after the up+B is incredibly important) even though it has made certain actions OoS a lot more difficult.
I always have tap jump turned off cause I hate having a jump come out accidentally when moving the movement stick around fast. For options OoS I have the R button set to jump.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I've had L set to jump for well over a year lol, still not as easy as UpB and Jump being input at exactly the same time automatically.

:phone:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Yea I have the spring removed from my R button and it is assigned to jump. I exactly had that train of thought doing anything out of shield like upsmash or wavedashing. That's how I do any out of shield options.
good to know im not the only one with that mindset! i tend to have a very unorthodox control scheme. i set x to grab, and z to attack. i like, need this change to do DACUSs, i just cant do them any other way haha, and since GW has a great DACUS, its very much needed to do that on point. it does make it a little odd when going from PM to melee, but ive learned to make the adjustment quickly. thats also very interesting how you removed the spring, i never thought of trying to do that. i use the wifi build, so l and r light press make my life pretty easy though haha.

i play with tap jump off with any character unless i play my main, peach (as a result, i am one of the few who appreciates tap jump in melee haha). it just makes DJCing a lot easier, and you can combine your second jump with her AGT for a very long upwards momentum toss. playing with tap jump off with her makes upwards AGT very difficult cuz then she just floats when u hold up. in terms of GW though, ive gotten very used to the L > up b method, so i dont have any complaints about turning tap jump off with him. tap jump off also makes it much easier to perform quick SH uairs. if i tried to do this with tap jump on, in trying to do it quickly i would smash up and then my SH would be botched and my DJ gone. from my POV, i see no advantage to having tap jump on with any character other than those who can DJC (espicially ness and lucas, moreso than peach, because with tap jump off its almost impossible to do their DJC due to rising aerials).

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i played silent wolf (got *****, but did considerably better second game l0l), but i dont think it got recorded, i think the stream went down because they were getting it ready for Melee

Top Bottom