• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I'm now 54th with 300,174 in Robot Unicorn Attack. T_T

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Inception was great but it definitely had its flaws.

For one, it took waayyyyy too long to explain why everything was happening in the first place. Lol. I was sitting there for an hour and 20 thinking to myself "this is all cool abd all but why are they doing this ****?"
(for one) when you use "for one" to begin a sentence, there usually is at least a "second" point you're going to attempt to make

(also, second, or secondly) they were explaining everything as the movie was progressing. although they were doing it at a rapid rate, you definantly could still following along fairly easily. its not like if you sneezed during an explanation you would be lost. you just had to play attention.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Jam-Check your facebook. Just incase you come on here first. lol.

Noodles called me tonight like 5 times and he was either high or drunk off his ***. It was hilarious.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I saw Twilight last night!
Then my girlfriend and I snuck into a showing of Inception to watch it again.

I legit forgot I even saw Twilight until I woke up this morning and looked at my ticket stub. Inception is too good.

Also, get ***** Brawl. The cracked melee data was a perfect fit over Brawl data. ProjectM now has an absurdly high success rate.
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjQUzAYjCU

-DD

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
I saw Twilight last night!
Then my girlfriend and I snuck into a showing of Inception to watch it again.

I legit forgot I even saw Twilight until I woke up this morning and looked at my ticket stub. Inception is too good.

Also, get ***** Brawl. The cracked melee data was a perfect fit over Brawl data. ProjectM now has an absurdly high success rate.
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjQUzAYjCU

-DD
It's like someone went into my music library melee and stole all my music physics...

<3

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
I never think that a "dream" ending ever devalues a movie, the director had it there for a reason. Unless its a blatant cop-out for no reason...like "NEXT".

-DD
the "the entire movie was a dream" cliche is just bad writing. makes the reader/audience feel they wasted their money. It's a bad plot twist usually reserved for the end of Hannah Montana episodes. Thankfully it was kind of ambiguous at the end.

The camera pans over to draw attention to it still spinning... A better screenplay decision would be to end it after he runs off to play with the kids, without ever checking back on the top. then the people in the audience could be like "What happened to the top? what happened to that last drop of symbiote in the lab in spiderman 3? etc."

Was it just me, or could they have completely cut out Ellen Page's character?

That being said, I enjoyed Inception like I enjoyed Avatar. Outstanding presentation, mediocre everything else(mostly due to the hype)

I'm just looking forward to the Tim Burton reboot of Inception in 10 years.

anyone completely lol at the Piranha 3D trailer? it took Jaws 3D to kill the fad the first time around... maybe this one will do it for RealD 3D.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
the "the entire movie was a dream" cliche is just bad writing. makes the reader/audience feel they wasted their money. It's a bad plot twist usually reserved for the end of Hannah Montana episodes. Thankfully it was kind of ambiguous at the end.
How is it bad writing? Seeing the whole movie as a dream makes it a commentary about how great movies, like dreams, transport you from reality. It's only bad writing when it's used as an excuse to do ridiculous things with no point. With Inception, the message is that even if you know it's a dream, you can still get something out of it. Just like how you can get something out of a movie, despite it not being real.

I felt weird after walking out of the theater, because the movie had gotten me in the habit of saying to myself "this isn't real".

Was it just me, or could they have completely cut out Ellen Page's character?
Ellen Page's character made sense to me. A young, naive, headstrong character whose curiosity gets the best of her. None of the other characters could have absorbed that role.

That being said, I enjoyed Inception like I enjoyed Avatar. Outstanding presentation, mediocre everything else(mostly due to the hype)

I'm just looking forward to the Tim Burton reboot of Inception in 10 years.
What the hell are you talking about? I feel like it definitely lived up to the hype. There can't be a "reboot" of this film in 10 years because it doesn't need one. It would only cheapen the experience.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
What the hell are you talking about? I feel like it definitely lived up to the hype. There can't be a "reboot" of this film in 10 years because it doesn't need one. It would only cheapen the experience.
It is a good movie, but lived up to the hype? imo it was definitely not better than the Dark Knight like everyone was hyping it up to be and I'm not even a DC comics fan at all.

in a month this movie will slip away in favor of the next big hyped release.

It's not going to be the best movie of this year, or even this summer (Toy Story 3)

also, about the reboot.../s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s
I guess it's hard to tell on a msg board.

for whatever reason everyone hates my pessimism when I talk about movies but I have a few credentials:

1)I've seen over 200 prerelease screenings for movie critics(bumming off actual movie critics)
2) I've won over $500 in bets related to movies' weekend gross rankings. best one? Night at the Museum 2 over Terminator Salvation for $5 lol.

What I say about movies may not be popular, but... Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Niko45

Smash Master
I'm with you all the way Jebus.
I found Inception pretty annoying and I think it was a great concept for a movie that really shot itself in the foot in a couple of places (the controversial ones everyone's talking about). I think it tried to be both a conceptual thinker (Memento, Eternal Sunshine) and an action/adventure thriller (Matrix) but at the end, especially with a crappy ambiguous ending, ended up pretty mediocre. If the whole movie had been a dream that would be completely ********, since the underlying theme of the movie was Cobb's struggle to overcome temptations to live in dreams with his wife and learn to live in reality. At the end we don't know if Cobb conquered his demons or if he succumbed to them, but I think we deserved to know either way. The whole ending seemed incredibly rushed (most likely to elevate the lack of clarity on what had really happened) and by deliberately making the ending ambiguous, it has forced me to think about the entire movie afterwards and its been pretty easy to pick the movie's plotholes to pieces in retrospect. I also agree about the worthlessness of EP's character (just there for us to learn the rules of dream world, despite skipping over major issues that we learned about later once they are already in Fischer's dreams (and ultimately there isn't enough clarity about limbo, why killing yourself in limbo wakes you up instead of putting into a further stage of sleep - and I don't care who can come up with a rationalization - if I have to have it explained to me by someone over internet the movie failed).

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
for whatever reason everyone hates my pessimism when I talk about movies but I have a few credentials:

1)I've seen over 200 prerelease screenings for movie critics(bumming off actual movie critics)
2) I've won over $500 in bets related to movies' weekend gross rankings. best one? Night at the Museum 2 over Terminator Salvation for $5 lol.

What I say about movies may not be popular, but... Search your feelings, you know it to be true
PESSIMISM?!

ON SMASHBOARD?!

THAT BE TROLLIN'.

Smooth Criminal

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
It is a good movie, but lived up to the hype? imo it was definitely not better than the Dark Knight like everyone was hyping it up to be and I'm not even a DC comics fan at all.

Believe me, I've searched my feelings, and Dark Knight doesn't compare. Sure, Dark Knight was very entertaining and the performances were outstanding, but Inception plays it close to the chest and connects with you on a different level. You start seeing things that you feel like you've seen before, you start feeling the same sensations. It's a much more involving experience.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I agree. Everytime something **** / mind gaming happened, me and my brother would turn to each other and laugh at the awesome.

Dark Knight was awesome but it was a different awesome, one that is less fitting for the title of "better".

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
Believe me, I've searched my feelings, and Dark Knight doesn't compare..
when people say "better than the dark knight", they aren't directly comparing them, they simply mean top X movies of all time. Whether X means 3, 5, 10, or best of it's year depends on the fanboy level of who is comparing them.

after the honeymoon of the theatrical release, people will come to see the movie as an interesting concept, but flawed. like the Matrix

In fact, if there was not a glut of family/animated movies out right now, it's very possible that any one of Despicable me, Twilight, TS3, or even M Night Shamalalalaladingdong could have beaten Inception head to head at the box office.

as I said before, I believe Inception is good, but nowhere near the discussion for best movies of all time.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
So I just double perfected somebody for the first time on GGPO. Good times.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Yeah, peeps on GGPO have been talkin about that **** nonstop.

Hopefully they do a good job with it. I wouldn't mind seeing a "remixed" version of something like that, but I'd settle for a quality port with good netcode.

Stephen: I think it's a dumb idea, but I guess there's no reason why it couldn't turn out to be a decent game, other than because it has "Tekken" in the title.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
They are ****ing smart to make two games.

I would definantly rather play the Street Fighter mechanics,
And I am really interested in the tag system they are going to implement

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
So Dave And GARRETT

I'm excited for this so much!

street fighter vs. tekken
Did you see the gameplay? It looks incredible.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30596?cmpid=0101

I think it's a dumb idea, but I guess there's no reason why it couldn't turn out to be a decent game, other than because it has "Tekken" in the title.
Please explain why it is a dumb idea? Because judging by the fans reactions from both the Tekken and SF scene.....no one seems to think its "dumb idea."

They are doing Tekken VS SF and SF VS Tekken which at first glance sounds ******** but its actually better so both Capcom and Namco can do what they want with their fighting engine and the other parties character layouts. This will please everyone.

No, it's Tekken Vs. Street Fighter. That's where it's at. Eff SF Mechanics, I wanna play RYU with EWGFs.
A good first example Dave. lol.

They are ****ing smart to make two games.

I would definantly rather play the Street Fighter mechanics,
And I am really interested in the tag system they are going to implement
The best post you ever made. I agree with you completely.

And heres a second example for you Dave.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Please explain why it is a dumb idea? Because judging by the fans reactions from both the Tekken and SF scene.....no one seems to think its "dumb idea.
Garrett, when I say, "I think it's a dumb idea," I'm saying just that. I'm not trying to apply my whims and opinions to everybody else. It's just what I think.

I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine.

If you must know, I think it's a dumb idea because I doubt that the totally disparate styles of the two franchises will mesh well. Kind of like in MvC2, where the Street Fighter characters mostly seem horribly underpowered and out of place. Also, I just plain don't like Tekken.

Although, I do think the idea of having a Tekken game with SF characters and a SF game with Tekken characters is interesting, so I look forward to seeing how that turns out.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
that's too bad because tekken 6 is the best fighting game i've ever played IMO
i can understand why it's not well-liked by everyone, though.
i wonder what fighter is the most positively viewed purely by those who play competitive fighters. i'd love to do a huge poll some day with all the different scenes but i assume it would take effort that would eclipse a few hours so naw.

Top Bottom