• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Obligatory: "THAT AIN'T FALCO."

I like how they have legit planets from the game in the background too.
-DD

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
How awesome was the Creep cover in The Social Network trailer? (Played before Inception in my showing at least)

Also, how awesome was Inception? I know this has already been answered by people here so it's primarily rhetorical.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
so then, I work with a guy that says he knows an amazing melee player in Enfield... who plays Luigi. that wouldn't be AwsmSean would it? I work in Enfield and need someone to spar with besides Flaco every now and again.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Only one of the links posited that the whole thing was a dream. It also argued that that wouldn't devalue it in any way, which I agree with. I'm not sure what I think re: the end. But that's kind of the point.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i really don't see how people walk away from that movie thinking that it's a dream at the end. the top wobbling could be argued endlessly, but it's hard to imagine that exact motion would be there unless nolan 1)wanted you to know he woke up, obviously giving the ending of a movie more of a "bang" by immediately ending it there, as opposed to waiting 20 seconds for it to completely fall or 2)wanted it to be ambiguous and without any solution by having it neither topple nor infinitely spin.

not to mention for every "hint" at the ending being a dream state there seems to be hard evidence IN the movie against it. mainly i just don't see how if the 3rd level is so unstable that they argue about how they can even enter it for like 10 minutes with the chemist and the 4th level is whack as **** that it is even possible to be in a 5th. it's seems circuitous in that 1->2->3->4...but if you die in the 4th you shoot right back up to 1? problem is it's such a deep slumber that no one considers killing themselves, as both times they have the "leap of faith" speech. so yeah, if it's circuitous, there is absolutely no mentioning or even hinting at how a 5th state is even possible, and could cause a break in a very established pattern...to say the chain is broken nearly negates the entire movie.

just my $0.02 i have already had 3 4-hour long discussions about this movie. headsplitting, but that's just one more reason to love it.

would anyone in the hartford area be ballin' enough to accept gas money and drive me from bradley to wesleyan on SEPTEMBER 4TH :o i will also pay for din-din and we can play some smash or whatever else...? ehhh? ehhhhhhhhhhh? <3

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
i really don't see how people walk away from that movie thinking that it's a dream at the end. the top wobbling could be argued endlessly, but it's hard to imagine that exact motion would be there unless nolan 1)wanted you to know he woke up, obviously giving the ending of a movie more of a "bang" by immediately ending it there, as opposed to waiting 20 seconds for it to completely fall or 2)wanted it to be ambiguous and without any solution by having it neither topple nor infinitely spin.

not to mention for every "hint" at the ending being a dream state there seems to be hard evidence IN the movie against it. mainly i just don't see how if the 3rd level is so unstable that they argue about how they can even enter it for like 10 minutes with the chemist and the 4th level is whack as **** that it is even possible to be in a 5th. it's seems circuitous in that 1->2->3->4...but if you die in the 4th you shoot right back up to 1? problem is it's such a deep slumber that no one considers killing themselves, as both times they have the "leap of faith" speech. so yeah, if it's circuitous, there is absolutely no mentioning or even hinting at how a 5th state is even possible, and could cause a break in a very established pattern...to say the chain is broken nearly negates the entire movie.

just my $0.02 i have already had 3 4-hour long discussions about this movie. headsplitting, but that's just one more reason to love it.
The 4th level is the "Limbo", and you can't die there, because you get there by dying in the 3rd level, or going to sleep in the 3rd level and making your brain think you are already dead. They all woke up at the same time, even though Saito and Cobb went to Limbo, because the kicks were used to get out of the deeper level dreams, not the entire dream-state itself. They left the dream state when the sedative ran out, and going back to the first level was the safest/quickest place to wait it out.

That's why Saito was still there as some goblin-creature that clearly should have died from natural causes at least 2 decades before looking like that.

The only way to get out would be to wait out the sedative, which is why spending 80+ years of your life in solitary with your thoughts would turn his brain into scrambled eggs, hence being a problem.

At the same time, if the entire movie WAS a dream, then because its all a dream any and all of these rules need not apply, because they're all subject to change on the whim of Cobb's brain.

Oh my god I ****ing love this movie.
would anyone in the hartford area be ballin' enough to accept gas money and drive me from bradley to wesleyan on SEPTEMBER 4TH :o i will also pay for din-din and we can play some smash or whatever else...? ehhh? ehhhhhhhhhhh? <3
I really wish I was around then to take you up on this offer.<3

Only one of the links posited that the whole thing was a dream. It also argued that that wouldn't devalue it in any way, which I agree with. I'm not sure what I think re: the end. But that's kind of the point.
I never think that a "dream" ending ever devalues a movie, the director had it there for a reason. Unless its a blatant cop-out for no reason...like "NEXT".

Also,
Magus just cracked all of the Melee.dat files. The ProjectM team now has full, unaltered access to all of Melee's raw data for hitbox sizes, momentum, knockback, scaling, speeds, etc. **** just got real-er.
-DD

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
The 4th level is the "Limbo", and you can't die there, because you get there by dying in the 3rd level, or going to sleep in the 3rd level and making your brain think you are already dead. They all woke up at the same time, even though Saito and Cobb went to Limbo, because the kicks were used to get out of the deeper level dreams, not the entire dream-state itself.
mal and cobb lie down on train tracks to wake themselves up. if you remember correctly, they didn't play kicks from sleep levels 1-3 because...well...there was ****ing no one else there. when they get their heads squashed by the train, they immediately woke up in real life. you CAN die there, the only problem is that your world is so real you obviously can't talk yourself into killing yourself. like i said, the dream states seem circuitous, so a 4th state death leads to an awaken state, as opposed to a 5th state. more on this at the end...

ellen page and fischer, on the other hand, got "kicks" in the 4th state, were shown 'waking up' in the 3rd state and riding the rest of the kicks back to the 1st dream state. on that same note, since saito and cobb missed the kick to get back into the 3rd dream state, they had to find a way to get straight back to reality. how do you do this? by killing yourself in the 4th level. this is why cobb gives saito the same speech he gave mal when they were on the tracks, the "leap of faith" speech...basically you tell someone they should kill themselves, they're like "lulz y wuld i do dat?" and you say "just trust me on this." if i ****ing walked up to you with a gun and told you to shoot yourself in the head, you would tell me to go **** myself. so yeah, that's the reason it is so hard to leave the 4th level. by killing themselves, saito and cobb don't have to go back to the 3rd layer (they would have missed the kick and would have just been chilling there for a long time), and instead awaken immediately.

i hope that makes sense in explanation. because saying killing yourself in the 1st dream state puts your right in the 4th dream state (while under sedation), but killing yourself in the 4th dream state puts you in the 3rd dream state makes absolutely no sense at all logically, even disregarding the fact that they straight up show us that it leads to cognizance. it was also well-timed of course, killing themselves in the 4th state about the same time that they woke up...i would assume that if you were under heavy sedation and killed yourself in the 4th state with like 7 hours of sleep to go that you would shoot out of your dream but still be asleep...like stage 2 sleep or something. that seems like the only way to rationally explain all of it.

Top Bottom