• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I keep hearing about how absurdly complex Virtua Fighter 1 is, but I've never read/heard any detailed information about it.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
that's too bad because tekken 6 is the best fighting game i've ever played IMO
i can understand why it's not well-liked by everyone, though.
It's just not my thing. No matter how good the players are, it just seems really slow and clumsy. There are other things that I don't feel like explaining now. We talk on AIM sometime kthx.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Inception was great but it definitely had its flaws.

For one, it took waayyyyy too long to explain why everything was happening in the first place. Lol. I was sitting there for an hour and 20 thinking to myself "this is all cool abd all but why are they doing this ****?"
Don't blame the movie for your own shortcomings as a viewer.

the "the entire movie was a dream" cliche is just bad writing. makes the reader/audience feel they wasted their money. It's a bad plot twist usually reserved for the end of Hannah Montana episodes. Thankfully it was kind of ambiguous at the end.

The camera pans over to draw attention to it still spinning... A better screenplay decision would be to end it after he runs off to play with the kids, without ever checking back on the top. then the people in the audience could be like "What happened to the top? what happened to that last drop of symbiote in the lab in spiderman 3? etc."

Was it just me, or could they have completely cut out Ellen Page's character?
Missed the point = you. The point is not whether the top kept spinning or not, the point was that after obsessively spinning it the entire film, staring at the results like his life depended on them, at the most pivotal moment of his life he walked away from it. Listen to what Joey says below:
How is it bad writing? Seeing the whole movie as a dream makes it a commentary about how great movies, like dreams, transport you from reality. It's only bad writing when it's used as an excuse to do ridiculous things with no point. With Inception, the message is that even if you know it's a dream, you can still get something out of it. Just like how you can get something out of a movie, despite it not being real.
this.

It is a good movie, but lived up to the hype? imo it was definitely not better than the Dark Knight like everyone was hyping it up to be and I'm not even a DC comics fan at all.
Inception did not have a Ferry scene.

for whatever reason everyone hates my pessimism when I talk about movies but I have a few credentials:

1)I've seen over 200 prerelease screenings for movie critics(bumming off actual movie critics)
2) I've won over $500 in bets related to movies' weekend gross rankings. best one? Night at the Museum 2 over Terminator Salvation for $5 lol.
-____- wut ...I... huh? what? this is pof logic, dude.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I actually kind of agree with you about Tekken.

Everyone gives me the evil eye on this one but I think Tekken 4 is the best one they've ever made for a couple of reasons.

-Before the fight you could space, get into stances, and even begin mind games by tricking your opponent into thinking you are going to start in stance A but really just go to stance B or C at the last second.
-The presentation and graphics were the best without a doubt. Everything looked extremely crisp and realistic for its time. Both the background and Foreground looked incredible. I find that with most Tekkens the background looks amazing but the fighting up close is choppy. Like Tekken 5 for example. The fighting engine seemed too tight per se.
-The cut scenes and story line IMO were pretty much the most exciting and when Tekken 5 added in Raven and Feng etc I pretty much could give a flying **** what they had to do with the Tekken story line. Hwoarangs ending was ****** and is probably one of my favorite ending cut scenes in a fighting game.

After Tekken 4 it seemed like they just went back to the Tekken 3 and engine and went backwards and didnt progress. It was like they said, "No, were not going to move this idea forward. We're just going to stick to the same crap we've been doing for 10 years."

Tekken needs a gameplay change that will WORK like the change from SF2T to SF4 did for the SF scene. It brought the scene back strong. And I think Tekken VS SF is a game that will do just that. IMO, Capcoms game will be better though and i'll be buying that simply because Capcom is on a **** train as of lately.

Devily May Cry 4
MVC2 HD
SF2T HDR
SF 4
SSF 4
MVC3
SF VS Tekken
Resident Evil 5
Phoenix Wright
SSF 4 on the new 3DS

Incase some of you are care 7 DLC characters are coming to SSF4. Rolento, Hugo, Q, R Mika, Elena, Charlie, and Alex. I'm picking up Rolento.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I gotta say Tekken Tag takes the cake for me still.

But I can see what POF's saying, and I actually agree that 4 was not as bad as people make it out to be.

Six, though... I just could not get into it at all. The engine was just... it rewarded oki way way WAY too much.

otg

Smash Master
Garrett, when I say, "I think it's a dumb idea," I'm saying just that. I'm not trying to apply my whims and opinions to everybody else. It's just what I think.

I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine.

If you must know, I think it's a dumb idea because I doubt that the totally disparate styles of the two franchises will mesh well. Kind of like in MvC2, where the Street Fighter characters mostly seem horribly underpowered and out of place. Also, I just plain don't like Tekken.

Although, I do think the idea of having a Tekken game with SF characters and a SF game with Tekken characters is interesting, so I look forward to seeing how that turns out.
I agree with this post, the trailer looks kinda hot tho so who knows, it might not suck.

Now on a more relevant note to this thread, there is a chance I'm moving to Danbury CT in the near future and I was curious who was where in CT. I know that hab is relatively close in waterbury and a bunch of you guys are out in New Haven which is like a half hour away, but who else is around?

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Garrett, when I say, "I think it's a dumb idea," I'm saying just that. I'm not trying to apply my whims and opinions to everybody else. It's just what I think.

I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with me, and that's perfectly fine.

If you must know, I think it's a dumb idea because I doubt that the totally disparate styles of the two franchises will mesh well. Kind of like in MvC2, where the Street Fighter characters mostly seem horribly underpowered and out of place. Also, I just plain don't like Tekken.

Although, I do think the idea of having a Tekken game with SF characters and a SF game with Tekken characters is interesting, so I look forward to seeing how that turns out.
I'm with you completely on this Dave, BUT when 3s does come out, I will be playing it, learning it... and that ryu of yours will have no dignity ;) can't wait man.

Incase some of you are care 7 DLC characters are coming to SSF4. Rolento, Hugo, Q, R Mika, Elena, Charlie, and Alex. I'm picking up Rolento.
yeah, that's still a rumor. Nothing is confirmed about 7 characters, only 2 are confirmed..and we're still unsure about them. Possibly Alex and Rolento :D

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I'm with you completely on this Dave, BUT when 3s does come out, I will be playing it, learning it... and that ryu of yours will have no dignity ;) can't wait man.
Sounds good, man.

Also Q in SSF4 would be AMAZING.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Arturo heard from Gootecks that there are seven characters coming. My friend Brian who I play in New London says its extremely possibly it will be seven characters because gootecks's "source" has not been wrong yet for the SSF4 information. (costumes, who the final roster will have, old characters new ultras, etc)

I believe we'll see bare minimum....four characters. I'm definitely going to use Rolento. His ultras would be epic. Blow you up with a grenade or some crazy ****.

I hate the idea of adding new characters but at the same time its cool.

I believe that Hugo, r Mika, Charlie, and Rolento will definitely come. Capcom has been releasing SSF4 avatars on the psn and just the other day they released those characters.....I think its a tease.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
soooooo guys..I spent a majority of my night getting counter picked in 7-3 and 6-4 mismatches in ssf4 by a guy who is significantly better than me.(if Im a 5 out of 10 hes like an 8 out of 10). I lost 28 straight then got styled on when he bragged about it to the next guy.

I have yet to meet anyone in the ssf4 community that I'd actually hangout with or just chill with. one is like a maybe but its a shame cuz he lives in danbury and because everyone I've met talks so much **** behind his back when he is not around.(he likes the nicest guy ever too.)

I think I had a great night. how about you guys?

I fcuking love smash

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
soooooo guys..I spent a majority of my night getting counter picked in 7-3 and 6-4 mismatches in ssf4 by a guy who is significantly better than me.(if Im a 5 out of 10 hes like an 8 out of 10). I lost 28 straight then got styled on when he bragged about it to the next guy.

I have yet to meet anyone in the ssf4 community that I'd actually hangout with or just chill with. one is like a maybe but its a shame cuz he lives in danbury and because everyone I've met talks so much **** behind his back when he is not around.(he likes the nicest guy ever too.)

I think I had a great night. how about you guys?

I fcuking love smash
Please tell me that you cant stand Frank. I think hes a jerk. I think Wills alright though. Feels like I have to warm up to him though.

The New London crew is amazing man. I'm telling you. My friend Scott in Wallingford plays Rose and hes hilarious dude. Cool guy. Come play Thursday nights with us down in New London. If I go i'll give you a ride. Just spot me like 5 for gas and im straight.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Please tell me that you cant stand Frank. I think hes a jerk. I think Wills alright though. Feels like I have to warm up to him though.

The New London crew is amazing man. I'm telling you. My friend Scott in Wallingford plays Rose and hes hilarious dude. Cool guy. Come play Thursday nights with us down in New London. If I go i'll give you a ride. Just spot me like 5 for gas and im straight.
hell yea we are on the same page. I will hit you up about new london one of these days.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
@Swift- The guys at Vernon that I play with are pretty cool. I would actually hang out with most of them.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I think Tekken Tag was one of the greatest fighters ever. In hind sight, T4 wasn't that bad, but everyone wanted a sequel to Tekken Tag. Tekken 4 was barely a sequel to Tekken 3 in terms of gameplay. They added walls, uneven terrain, and made the game more about poking and positioning rather than combos. I was REALLY into Tekken Tag. I went to tournaments and had a crew and all this stuff.

I agree that Tekken 5 was pretty bland. They added characters and moves, but didn't really take any risks. It was Tekken 3 with walls more characters better graphics and new moves, but nothing revolutionary in the gameplay. With the bound mechanic in 6 they added a new element to the combo system. Characters were given more health, so even though the combos are longer, they aren't as game breaking as in 5.

6 is really good, but for some reason it got stale pretty fast for me. I blame my age and the fact that I can't stand online play.

I am excited for Tekken vs SF and SF vs Tekken or whatever they are calling the games. But it is going to be tough to please the Tekken and SF crowds at the same time. Regardless the result will be interesting. Imma be side stepping hadukens all day.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I think Tekken Tag was one of the greatest fighters ever. In hind sight, T4 wasn't that bad, but everyone wanted a sequel to Tekken Tag. Tekken 4 was barely a sequel to Tekken 3 in terms of gameplay. They added walls, uneven terrain, and made the game more about poking and positioning rather than combos. I was REALLY into Tekken Tag. I went to tournaments and had a crew and all this stuff.

I agree that Tekken 5 was pretty bland. They added characters and moves, but didn't really take any risks. It was Tekken 3 with walls more characters better graphics and new moves, but nothing revolutionary in the gameplay. With the bound mechanic in 6 they added a new element to the combo system. Characters were given more health, so even though the combos are longer, they aren't as game breaking as in 5.

6 is really good, but for some reason it got stale pretty fast for me. I blame my age and the fact that I can't stand online play.

I am excited for Tekken vs SF and SF vs Tekken or whatever they are calling the games. But it is going to be tough to please the Tekken and SF crowds at the same time. Regardless the result will be interesting. Imma be side stepping hadukens all day.
Tekken Tag was fun but I never really got into it too much. I like it though.

I feel the exact same way about 6....It's good...but im not as excited about it as I am with SSF4.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
Missed the point = you. The point is not whether the top kept spinning or not, the point was that after obsessively spinning it the entire film, staring at the results like his life depended on them, at the most pivotal moment of his life he walked away from it. Listen to what Joey says below:
this.

-____- wut ...I... huh? what? this is pof logic, dude.
I didn't even think about that one.(the walking away from it point) I stand corrected on that one

so... seeing virtually every move that has come out in the last 12-13 years(including twilight:urg:) does not qualify me as a credible opinion on movie quality

I'm telling you its gonna be like the Matrix 1. Gets you thinking, novel movie idea, philosophical theories and interpretation etc. after the dust settles and the smoke clears, it's only an above average action flick with noticeable flaws.

And as much as everyone hates on the POF, please don't go there. Just like with LOST fanboys, people that play the "If you don't get it you're stupid" card don't have a valid counterargument to begin with.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
so...seeing virtually every movie that has come out in the last 12-13 years (including twilight:urg:) does not qualify me as a credible opinion on movie quality
correct
seeing every MAJOR MOTION PICTURE is like hearing every BILLBOARD HOT 100. it's a pretty big feat but is not an automatic qualifier for knowing anything about either media. it's actually a pretty pedestrian way to argue.

nickleback's been a band for probably 12-13 years. they are the last people i would want to learn composition from (i already know how to palm mute).

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
correct
seeing every MAJOR MOTION PICTURE is like hearing every BILLBOARD HOT 100. it's a pretty big feat but is not an automatic qualifier for knowing anything about either media. it's actually a pretty pedestrian way to argue.

nickleback's been a band for probably 12-13 years. they are the last people i would want to learn composition from (i already know how to palm mute).
yes majority was mainstream wide releases but I've also seen indie films, international films, and limited release films. It's just there are so many more screenings of major motion pictures just by the nature of the industry. not by my choice obv

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Just throwing this out there, I've been playing and studying music for like 100 years now, and I still don't think I'm any more qualified to evaluate "music quality" than anybody else.

Top Bottom