• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Octave

Smash Ace
Almost done with Playthrough 2 of Borderlands.

Allllright.

Once I get to the Vault, I'm turning right around and getting my level 48 T.K.'s Wave. I'll be so happy.
I just beat the Secret Armory of General Knoxx last night. I got so many legendaries. I got this one sniper with "I LIKE IT!" and a shotgun with "Bring Out your Dead." I thought my guns were good before this but those two are the only ones I need now.

I went to fight Crawmerax and got **** on twice, so I gave up that for now. He's ridiculous.

Borderlands is incredibly fun, though. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is going through the game again on a new character because I want to raid the treasure chest horde in the armory at the end of the DLC.

Edit: Oh and Whitting's Elephant Gun is ridiculous in playthrough 2.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I just beat the Secret Armory of General Knoxx last night. I got so many legendaries. I got this one sniper with "I LIKE IT!" and a shotgun with "Bring Out your Dead." I thought my guns were good before this but those two are the only ones I need now.

I went to fight Crawmerax and got **** on twice, so I gave up that for now. He's ridiculous.

Borderlands is incredibly fun, though. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is going through the game again on a new character because I want to raid the treasure chest horde in the armory at the end of the DLC.

Edit: Oh and Whitting's Elephant Gun is ridiculous in playthrough 2.
I hear soloing Craw is just a bad idea unless you play Siren. My man John at NYU would frequently get together with three other people to take down Craw, loot all the legendary drops and then just reset his 360 (ugh, I know) and do it all over again.

Also, you do know that you can raid the Crimson Armory three times before it gets disabled forever, right?

(And, hint hint, that you can actually glitch it and get into the armory without triggering the timer?)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
feel free to enlighten me. or not.

=D Okay! I didn't want to seem like I was trying to force anything on you. Nothing resolves well when that happens.

*ahem*

I dunno much about it, tbh.
But. I view it kind of like fan fiction. It just seems to me that these people are kind of desparate to apologize for brawl... it's like they're simultaneously saying it sucks and defending it.
Well, it isn't as much of an apology as much as it is a venture in the ability to bring Melee's gameplay to the next generation. At the moment the transition of tech-skill/ability/muscle memory from one to the other has very little difference, and that gap is constantly closing.

Brawl did plenty of things right among its mass of bad gameplay decisions. The project is purely fun and if anyone wants to host [side]tournaments then they are more than welcome to.

I just don't see the point of a SUPER SRS PROJECT to replace Brawl's physics/game mechanics with Melee's. Do you really want to play an L-canceling ROB that bad? It's always going to look like some weird freak frankenstein of a game that is somehow worse than both melee & brawl.
Well, the idea is that our finished product won't look like a Frankenstein. At worst, it would be a Frankenstein with a fabulous makeup artist. At best its just a texture hacked Melee that happens to have 10 different/new characters.

Everything we add or plan to add can be edited in every way shape and form. To make wave-dashing not look like everyone was using splash attack, we went in and edited each animation to look like the slides from melee. I personally advocated for Luigi's ability to wavedash on his head to remain, but that fell on deaf ears. v_v;

We're not just ripping out the mechanics and replacing them, we are literally going into each character and adjusting everything so that they feel like they belong, and that you literally picked up Nintendo's re-release of Melee.
The one where they kept all the top 5 or so characters pretty much the same, and then adjusted the weaknesses of all the lesser characters to be less detrimental and make them more accessible and less "Fox out-prioritizes everything you think of doing before you do it. You can't approach him."

But, whatever. I just don't want to see any P:M or B+ or B- or whatever setups at my melee tournies :mad::mad::mad:
:3 Because everything we're working with is basically computer-generated frame-by-frame mockups of everything in Melee, it is in our best interest for now to have a setup at Melee tournaments to get feedback. Even at WPI Smashfests alone a lot of progress was made and bugs fixed/being fixed.

If the setup is not being used at all, and you want melee on it, then it takes 2 seconds to switch them out anyways. :p

-DD

Octave

Smash Ace
I hear soloing Craw is just a bad idea unless you play Siren. My man John at NYU would frequently get together with three other people to take down Craw, loot all the legendary drops and then just reset his 360 (ugh, I know) and do it all over again.

Also, you do know that you can raid the Crimson Armory three times before it gets disabled forever, right?

(And, hint hint, that you can actually glitch it and get into the armory without triggering the timer?)
I beat it through glitching it, but can't seem to do it again.

I didn't know that.

Can I has a link? :< This info would be awesome

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
DD I wish I could formulate a response to that but I've been talking about Lost all day and am burned out.
So thanks for writing all that out.

But.

It's still really dumb.
:3
That's why I was trying to avoid having to type anything out if you're not open to changing your view on it.
Everyone's only options really boil down to: play it and form an opinion or decide its stupid and not play it ever.
-DD

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Project melee is not stupid. Brawl + and -...were. melee version of brawl looks cool and similar to melee. I would only play melee characters though....not ddd or any snake mk bullcrap

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
At my office there is a meeting on wednesdays at lunch to discuss lost and their theories. One guy takes notes during the show.

I personally do not watch lost. I know I would probably like it if I watched it, but it would be a complete waste of my time.

Therefore I am very excited for it to end in a few weeks.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Project melee is not stupid. Brawl + and -...were. melee version of brawl looks cool and similar to melee. I would only play melee characters though....not ddd or any snake mk bullcrap
Brawl- seems to me like the most fun out of all the smash games to play while under the influence of any mind-altering substance.

At my office there is a meeting on wednesdays at lunch to discuss lost and their theories. One guy takes notes during the show.

I personally do not watch lost. I know I would probably like it if I watched it, but it would be a complete waste of my time.

Haha, your office is so baller.

-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484

I feel this way too. I know I shill BSG and The Wire pretty hard, but I'm really looking forward to not having to hear about Lost anymore.

In other news, I'm submitting a new editorial to the Hartford Courant today. I'll let you guys know when to look for it (assuming they accept it).

EC_Joey

Smash Lord

You should start a series of meetings about MacGyver.

Octave

Smash Ace
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Loot_Larceny

I've never played it, but if you complete all of Marcus' missions in Knoxx, he'll let you loot the armory again apparently.
He does. I glitched it once but you have to beat General Knoxx every time and he is a ***** to kill because he spawns a bunch of medics at half health that heal him to full in about 4 seconds. Got a lot of good stuff, though. Still looking for a pearlescent.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I've gotten a few Dark Oranges, but I haven't bothered investing in the DLCs yet.

I picked up a $20 PSN card for like $16 (Woot one-day Target sale) and have been meaning to use it. Was def planning on getting Knoxx but I'm still unsure as to whether to get Ned or Moxxi. I want Ned simply for the fun of it all, but for my fiance who doesn't play the simpleness of Moxxi can be pretty good for us.

EDIT: To reiterate the Dark Oranges, I play a Firefly Siren and recently came across an Incendiary Tediore Defender, which is a beastly shotgun with ammo regen. Absolutely fantastic for what I have. Compliments my Maliwan Hellfire (basically the best fire weapon in the game, also Dark Orange) pretty effing well.

a shotgun with "Bring Out your Dead."
Eff I want that shotgun. A Crux. I'm considering switching to Plaguebearer Siren and that would be beastly.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I only download ps1 games from psn...I have nearly one even if I own it because it makes me not need to have the disc on me if I travel w my ps3. Plus ff's definitely deserve my $ for making 7 and 8. FF is one of the best series of all time along w street fighter, metal gear and a few others. Melee is the best if you're going to take illegal stuff such as wed or alcohol. I played spawn while he and I were drunk and he spawned on fod and started attacking the right side of it while I was on the left ledge. I asked him what he was doing and he said "oh, that's why I wasn't hitting you!" I love marc.

Octave

Smash Ace
I recommend Knoxx. I heard bad things about the other two DLCs but Knoxx is excellent imo. I just wish more people I knew had Borderlands on the PC so I could play it with them :L

The Crux is amazing. By far the best shotgun I've ever had. I've got a Combustion Hellfire and actually just upgraded it in my first glitch run (although now its got a scope and the other one didn't, which is going to take some getting used to.)

I'm also probably going to run Siren in my next playthrough. Which skill set is the best?

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Depends on the kind of build you want to go towards. As I'm going towards a Firefly / Plaguebearer, I'm moving towards the Elemental Skill tree. Full Radiance and Phoenix, which are GODLY abilities no matter what build you use.

I want to try going through the left skill tree, Controller. Three of her skills have to do with doing Dazes, and apparently Daze is top tier.

I've dabbled in the right tree a bit, but only for basic skills like increased crit damage.

Let me guess. You're rolling Soldier?

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Rog combo vid would be this:

Stuff to buffalo head to ultra. Lol balrogs too good.

Dudley is gay.

3x-what are your thoughts on ryu dude? I think he's definitely like at least a good 4 spots lower now.

Octave

Smash Ace
Depends on the kind of build you want to go towards. As I'm going towards a Firefly / Plaguebearer, I'm moving towards the Elemental Skill tree. Full Radiance and Phoenix, which are GODLY abilities no matter what build you use.

I want to try going through the left skill tree, Controller. Three of her skills have to do with doing Dazes, and apparently Daze is top tier.

I've dabbled in the right tree a bit, but only for basic skills like increased crit damage.

Let me guess. You're rolling Soldier?
Mordecai (I don't even remember what he's called I picked him so long ago). I wanted to go Roland but my brother picked him and then like 3 weeks later switched to Brick because Brick is OP, I guess. I'll see soon enough whether I want to go Siren or Soldier. I want to get at least one pearlescent before I make a new character.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Any MELEE tournaments in tristate happening in between June 12 and June 20th?

i think the last 100 pages (40ppp) has been borderlands + sf talk

jesus

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I feel like I meant something other than what I originally said, and I'm not sure.

Maybe Falcon Soccer- is the most fun Smash Game in any state of mind?

I'M SO CONFUSED.

Also, GG CT thread for keeping most posts on this page not about SSF4.
-DD

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
sf talk

jesus
Sorry, my dearest apologies.

Capcom has been kicking so much *** lately it makes me cry in joy.

Resident Evil 5
SF 4
SSF 4
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
MVC3
SF HDR.

The problem to me with the Melee scene is that its the same group of kids at every single event and there are no new faces anymore. Is this off? Unless I go somewhere like ****ing Maryland or Florida...its the same kids. (Insert someone quoting me and saying "No Johns")

I'm not johning....I have other things to do (like work, go to school, hang out with my gf) aside from travel to play a video game across the US when I could do it within a state or two. That's stupid unless its a national such as pound 4 or apex. Lately I've come to the conclusion that I pretty much just want to play SPAWN and i'd like to play Cort as much as I can because I love playing with him because SPAWN and Cort I feel are some of the only people close to me that give good advice. Swift, you do too but I think Cort is overall more knowledgable and SPAWN understands my thinking/playstyle a bit more. Plus, hes played me more than you.

I still think Melees a great game but its dying because of the amount of scrubs who don't want to get into it because "so many people are so much better than me right now and it'd take me forever to learn the game." BS mentality. The mentality and mindset of the melee community is also really weak and scrubby.

Fox players complain about Marth, Falco and the fact that PS is no longer a neutral. LOL, what? Marth goes even with Fox and Falco beating Fox is still up for debate IMO with it going either way. Boo hoo you can't **** the entire cast on PS, get over it.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
edit: didn't see budai's post.. lol you beat me D:<!! ANYWAYS.

@ thumbswayup i'll look for a rog combo vid, some of his combos are pretty sick.. jab to ultra is sexy

S l o X

Smash Champion
I hope I'm not one of those people being referred to as scrubby, most "scrubby" players are newer and actually trying to get into the game and if not, have been playing for a while and stuck with the community. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Chances of you seeing completely new faces in the scene every tourney you go to are slim to none because Melee is a somewhat dieing game, in the sense that it's old and the number of people joining isn't much, if at all, higher than the amount quitting. On the other hand SF is always redone, attracts the older players back and sometimes new faces. I'm guessing you haven't been to 9000+ SF tournaments either because after you have, you will recognize the same faces . . . especially if you continuously stay in the Tri-state area. (again, it's SF so you'll get the newer kids coming through but they'll realize the huge gap that you say Melee has. Every game has a gap from low to pro level play. Although, I'm pretty effin' ignorant as to how nice the SF community is. [lol, gpx gaming, shoryuken]

I remember reading
The problem to me with the Melee scene is that its the same group of kids at every single event and there are no new faces anymore. Is this off? Unless I go somewhere like ****ing Maryland or Florida...its the same kids.
from somewhere in CT thread already though, so yeah, basically just restating what was said back then. Can't expect new faces to come up easily in a game that's been out for 9 years.
-
I've been trying to get two seniors from my school who are going to Fairfield U. to go to tournaments with me for the last year. Have been hosting Melee tournaments @ my school for quite some while and basically teaching wavedashing etc . . . to people and getting them to register on SWF. ;_; One person can only do so much, especially in a state like CT.

Chances of me attending locals will be higher in the summer. My grades are **** (-_-) but by the end of the summer / beginning of junior year, I should have a license and be able to drive mi madre's car to tourneys. But who knows, by then everyone might have died and be playing SF >_>

note: no sf hate. i actually want to get into sf . . . after i get good at maylay. i dont even understand basic phrases of fighting games

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I hope I'm not one of those people being referred to as scrubby, most "scrubby" players are newer and actually trying to get into the game and if not, have been playing for a while and stuck with the community. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Chances of you seeing completely new faces in the scene every tourney you go to are slim to none because Melee is a somewhat dieing game, in the sense that it's old and the number of people joining isn't much, if at all, higher than the amount quitting. On the other hand SF is always redone, attracts the older players back and sometimes new faces. I'm guessing you haven't been to 9000+ SF tournaments either because after you have, you will recognize the same faces . . . especially if you continuously stay in the Tri-state area. (again, it's SF so you'll get the newer kids coming through but they'll realize the huge gap that you say Melee has. Every game has a gap from low to pro level play. Although, I'm pretty effin' ignorant as to how nice the SF community is. [lol, gpx gaming, shoryuken]

I remember reading from somewhere in CT thread already though, so yeah, basically just restating what was said back then. Can't expect new faces to come up easily in a game that's been out for 9 years.
-
I've been trying to get two seniors from my school who are going to Fairfield U. to go to tournaments with me for the last year. Have been hosting Melee tournaments @ my school for quite some while and basically teaching wavedashing etc . . . to people and getting them to register on SWF. ;_; One person can only do so much, especially in a state like CT.

Chances of me attending locals will be higher in the summer. My grades are **** (-_-) but by the end of the summer / beginning of junior year, I should have a license and be able to drive mi madre's car to tourneys. But who knows, by then everyone might have died and be playing SF >_>

note: no sf hate. i actually want to get into sf . . . after i get good at maylay. i dont even understand basic phrases of fighting games
Slox mangz, you're learning what its like to be me.
:D Just kick their *** and be a ******* about it, but not so bad that they hate you, but just enough so they respect you. Then just lead them to the oasis of SWF.

-DD

Top Bottom