• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Skler

Smash Master
Somebody needs to make a feature length movie about Sora Keyblade Master. That made my day so **** well, I can't believe the kid was serious. What a ****ing champ.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
As art, anime is great. Too bad everything else about it is awful.
I, too, enjoy discarding an entire medium because of a few bad apples. Why, just the other day I caught a screening of that new picture, Old Dogs starring Robin Williams and Sir John Travolta. It was so horrendous that I immediately burned my copy of Rashomon and then flew to France and pooped on Francois Truffaut's grave. TO HELL WITH YOU, MOVING PICTURES! TO HELL!!

american comics > japanese comics
I agree with you. Although Britain puts out some fine talent.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Honestly I probably shouldn't have an opinion because I generally don't watch any TV or read comics. I mean I think Anime is overrated, but in the same vein I think Lost, Dexter, and most other TV isn't worth my time.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I started watching MacGyver again.

Now that is the epitome of entertainment.

No one rocks a mullet like Mac.

I am waiting for Wes to make a post about Angel .

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
How did you get

Are you seriously suggesting that percentage of good/bad things in a medium has anything to do with its potential? There's more bad anything than good anything ever, doesn't mean the human race should stop making art.
out of this?

As art, anime is great. Too bad everything else about it is awful.
And yes, I definitely am saying that the percentage of good/bad in a medium speaks to its potential. How could it not?

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I'd say that theres more serial/predictable/cliche' anime out there than there is something with good animation, good voices(english and/or jpnse), somewhat original plot and/or theme, a compelling OST and believable characters.(believable not material-wise but psychologically...something one can be attached to).

not nearly as much catches my eye as it used to. but that can be in part my changing taste as well. I will say that after I saw a certain anime that will remain undisclosed I felt like I didnt need to see anything else ever(of course I did) but like it rly fine tuned my taste and since then and a few others b4 it. I have become kinda picky. Might start watching monster, and still waiting on new Gits stuff. I get so that I like movies more than series cuz the overall quality is better even tho its a 2.5hr thingy at max. I'd take the tradeoff nowadays since I work and stuff. rly tryin to get into stand alone movies that arent tied to a series

need to see:

paprika
gits innocence(sitting in my library)
princess mono
wings of Honnêamise(omg cog I keep forgetting to DL it!!!!)

great movies that I am glad I watched:

mind game
akira
first gits
3rd gits
Appleseed
blue sub 6
tree of might(get at kaoken attack)

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I, too, enjoy discarding an entire medium because of a few bad apples. Why, just the other day I caught a screening of that new picture, Old Dogs starring Robin Williams and Sir John Travolta. It was so horrendous that I immediately burned my copy of Rashomon and then flew to France and pooped on Francois Truffaut's grave. TO HELL WITH YOU, MOVING PICTURES! TO HELL!!

I agree with you. Although Britain puts out some fine talent.
I like how you changed back to your Rashomon avatar :p

Was Old Dogs really that bad? Roger Ebert (best critic ever) completely trashed that thing in his review, and some of my friends (whose opinion I do NOT trust fully for the record) said it was very good. I am shocked at how they could like it if it truly is that bad.

I'd say that theres more serial/predictable/cliche' anime out there than there is something with good animation, good voices(english and/or jpnse), somewhat original plot and/or theme, a compelling OST and believable characters.(believable not material-wise but psychologically...something one can be attached to).

not nearly as much catches my eye as it used to. but that can be in part my changing taste as well. I will say that after I saw a certain anime that will remain undisclosed I felt like I didnt need to see anything else ever(of course I did) but like it rly fine tuned my taste and since then and a few others b4 it. I have become kinda picky. Might start watching monster, and still waiting on new Gits stuff. I get so that I like movies more than series cuz the overall quality is better even tho its a 2.5hr thingy at max. I'd take the tradeoff nowadays since I work and stuff. rly tryin to get into stand alone movies that arent tied to a series

need to see:

paprika
gits innocence(sitting in my library)
princess mono
wings of Honnêamise(omg cog I keep forgetting to DL it!!!!)

great movies that I am glad I watched:

mind game
akira
first gits
3rd gits
Appleseed
blue sub 6
tree of might(get at kaoken attack)
Monster has one of the absolute worst endings in all anime. The rest of the show is pretty good though.

Oh, and I asked one of my co-workers the other day to bring in a dvd copy of the Fantastic Four and I've been skipping around scenes of it all morning and laughing harder than I've ever laughed while watching a bad movie. I mean this thing is really, really, really bad.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Suck that too.
but I only have one mouth...? :(

Jam: first of all, your post said "As art..." which I took to mean just the visual component of the work. Then you said "Too bad everything else about it is awful." which I took to mean that you find no redeeming quality in anything about the anime medium other than pretty pictures, aka you have a low opinion of the entire medium.

And yes, I definitely am saying that the percentage of good/bad in a medium speaks to its potential. How could it not?
Because anyone can create anything these days (or ever, really)? By its very definition, great Art is rare, and that's part of the reason it's great; it stands apart from its peers. There were a thousand doodling half wits for every Picasso and there's approximately eight quadtrillion shtty laptop 'artists' for every Arcade Fire. And even if the low end of the spectrum happens to be the most popular (as is the case with anime), what the f does that matter when discussing the nature of the medium itself and its potential? In this case all discussions of popularity should be mostly set aside. Animated films (and filmmakers) from Japan will be and already have been accepted into the pantheon of great international Cinema. It's not "awful", just a lot of it is.

Was Old Dogs really that bad?
Are you kidding me? I didn't see that.

Top Bottom