• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Today at work when I delivered this ladies food...her son was playing Brawl...and he was Marth. It was awesome. Made my night.

It was w items and stuff but i heard the music and looked in the house to the right and it was amazing.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
if the only fighting game you ever played for an extended period of time is smash bros, it is extremely hard to learn a 2d fighter.

Cort

Apple Head
hmmm

I got my capture device working on my newer PC

but to get sound I need to use my headset's mic

*searches drivers*

Spawn come over =D

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I just torrented the PC version of SF4 and started playing it yesterday. Inputs are the hardest thing for me, and incorporating blocking/grabbing appropriately.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
whats the general learning curve for sf4 as a game for someone whos never played sf b4? i'm finding it extremely hard to understand the game, its mechanics, concepts, and ish like that other than just inputs. jw if it was just me
Ahhh you never played Mortal Kombat or any other fighters when you were younger? Did you have a childhood? :psycho::psycho::psycho:

What sports games do you play? Please say NBA Live, Madden and NHL...... <3 <3

The most important thing for you to learn is that the "wake up" game is extremely important. What you do when your opponent is knocked down and you are on the ground is very important. Think of it like tech chasing. You can either space yourself so you're safe, grab them, attack them as they rise, or block as they get up to counter their get up attack (if they choose to do one.)

Never do a grab on wake up when they have ultra ready...you'll regret it. There have been a couple of times when I've done that and have gotten *****. :ohwell:

Like I said before; pick Ryu, Sagat, Zangief or Ken and go into trials and complete those. They are the quickest characters to learn. In fact, if you want to truly find "your character" I suggest doing as many trials as you can with every character. You will learn soooo much about the game. what moves do what, where characters excel, their weaknesses, etc.

Go here as well to see tier lists, strategies, help on trials, descriptions of moves, combos, and so much more.....

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/

You will also find Street Fighter 3rd strike and 2 Turbo info on there as well.

Also, smashboards looks like crap now.

Maybe the reason why i'm not getting better at smash is because I play so many god **** different fighters. MK II, SF 3, SF 4, Blaz Blue, Tekken 4-6, Brawl, Melee, 64, SF 2 Turbo, and Soul Calibur 2.

Anyone play Modern Warfare II? It's ****.

SleepyK

playing multiple games will only expand your overall knowledge of fighting games, a la justin wong.
no johns.

anyway, prob the most important thing for you to understand right off the bat is
1) you don't always have to approach in the air. jumping all the time is actually a bad thing.
2) while it's hard to see it as such, the concept of safe spacing and then getting in a bread and butter (aka bnb) is largely the same.
3) in fighting games, if something works a specific way, it will always work that way provided you can input it correctly. it doesn't have the smash randomness where there are a bunch of different factors might change how something works.

just general mental concepts to grasp for a completely new to fighters kinda guy.

for the record, i played a bunch of 2ds when i was a kid and they didn't help me any since the only one i played for more than a few weeks was smash.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
ahhh, good point. I guess my point is is that my reaction time/tech skill isnt growing as quickly because I don't really practice that sort of stuff. I need to watch Zhus **** more, he does fancy smancy ****.

Yeah, I forgot about scrubs jumping. lol. Scrubs jump into my ultras alllll the time. I love Ken.

I had an 8 game winning streak w my Abel last night. Marsquilles roll mind games! LOL.

SleepyK

you're probably not at a level where outright practicing things by yourself is important any more.
your reaction time probably isn't the issue, it's probably lack of experience when it comes to situations. if you don't have an appropriate reaction to a scenario, even if you're super fast at reacting to it you're gonna do the wrong thing.

also zhu is like
the pinnacle of the wrong falco playstyle. he's exactly how i would probably be playing if lambchops didn't teach me how to falco.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
@ Trade- Jumping in ever in SF 4 is usually a really bad idea. There are just so many ways to get utterly destroyed on jump in when there's no air blocking, air dodging, or air teching. The ground is your friend.

That's probably the hardest thing for us as Smashers to grapple with as we transition to SF 4, that the air is bad. There really are no aerial combos in SF 4, and you're totally unsafe, which is pretty much the exact opposite of Smash. That, and the poke game. There really are no pokes in Smash, at least not the kind that lead to auto-combos like in Street Fighter. It's pretty much poke or be poked in alot of 2-D fighters.

Lastly, as much as people complain about camping in Smash, it really is a rush-down game, at least in comparison to SF 4. Rush down in SF 4 gets you killed.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Focusing on tech skill during game play instead of utilizing the small things? Can't speak for him but I can see the difference in Chops' and Zhu's game play. (but Chops play is equally as sexy, and i haven't seen any new videos of Zhu)

edit: after thinking about it, Chops plays pretty(really) technical too so I know I'm wrong.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
efficiency, it feels like I can make a tech mistake in smash and it isn't the end of the world. In sf4 I make a mistake it's match lost.

Generally I feel like you have to know exactly what you have to do in any given situation.
It depends on the character you are playing and match up IMO.

Zangief, Abel, Ryu, Sagat, Gouken, Blanka have very high defense/stun ratings.

In smash i will agree in the Fox Vs Falco, Marth Vs Sheik, and pretty much most of the high tier match ups.

I think the air in SF 4 is bad but its not entirely useless. Cross ups are good...that's about it though.

Aesir

Smash Master
It depends on the character you are playing and match up IMO.

Zangief, Abel, Ryu, Sagat, Gouken, Blanka have very high defense/stun ratings.

In smash i will agree in the Fox Vs Falco, Marth Vs Sheik, and pretty much most of the high tier match ups.

I think the air in SF 4 is bad but its not entirely useless. Cross ups are good...that's about it though.
Cool story, bro.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
correct me if i'm wrong but it doesnt seem as if sf characters are as limited by their place on the tier list as in smash
That's definitely true, not just for SF 4 but for most of the more recent 2-D fighters. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Smash has some of the most rigid tiers.

SleepyK

Focusing on tech skill during game play instead of utilizing the small things? Can't speak for him but I can see the difference in Chops' and Zhu's game play. (but Chops play is equally as sexy, and i haven't seen any new videos of Zhu)

edit: after thinking about it, Chops plays pretty(really) technical too so I know I'm wrong.
Basically, the playstyle that chops and shiz (now going to refer as chiz or shopz) is based on years of playing falco. they perform efficient combos that are guaranteed/minimize the number of reads you have to perform and have advanced laser games and other tricks. basically the falco metagame.
zhu is a few years behind chiz as far as falco mechanics go. his combos tend to rely on a good bit more reading and guessing and they don't ztd all the time since he kind of makes them up as he goes.
on a basic level it's pretty much an efficiency issue. on an advaned level there are a lot of small falco things that he just doesn't do. I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, he may even be better than shopz considering his tournament placings, but his falco just isn't as advanced.

smash has pretty rigid tiers.
3rd strike also has very rigid tiers.
mvc2 has very rigid tiers.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
pof: yea ive been doing the trials. not quite thru with everyone yet to see whos combos i can execute all the way
Who do you like the most thus far? (please don't say Ryu....) Everyone uses ryu. lol. Mos. PC and Th0rn use Boxer. KDJ uses Ryu and so does Chillin. Jam uses Chun Li and I use Ken, Abel, and Akuma. Ehhh I pretty much use everyone. I'm in a bit of a Fei Long phase now. Hes so fun.

That's definitely true, not just for SF 4 but for most of the more recent 2-D fighters. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Smash has some of the most rigid tiers.
There are definitely match ups which are VERY unwinnable.

Vega VS Zangief
Zangief VS Seth, Akuma, or Dhalsim
Dhalsim VS Akuma
Ken Vs Blanka
Ken Vs Boxer
Fei Long VS Ryu
Dan Vs anyone who is not Sakura, Vega or El Fuerte
El Fuerte VS anyone with good pokes

I'd have to say that SF 4 is definitely really balanced though. Some match ups are ******** but thats typically any fighter though.

smash has pretty rigid tiers.
3rd strike also has very rigid tiers.
mvc2 has very rigid tiers.
This. Didnt you mean to swap the second and third though? Makes no sense.

Top Bottom