• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

pockyD

Smash Legend
What's hysterical about this is that he beat Mango and STILL didn't make it out of pools lmao round 2 of pools was horrendously gay for everyone. They should have gone directly to brackets after the first round just like the first RoM did. Pools are so dumb when you have to beat a top level player to make it out.
I've come around on pools and have decided that there needs to be a distinction for Pro players so that they don't assrape pools. like, 2nd round, 2 people make it out and if you had cactuar/jman/mango/hbox/PP in your pool, you're playing for 1 spot, which is stupid as ****. Or make larger pools with more people getting out.
Exactly, I have a similar bs story on why I didn't make it out of round 2 either. The point is pools are ****ing stupid and there should just one of them at most unless you have a million entrants. I honestly don't see what's wrong with having a super large bracket. It's a lot more fair and interesting.
But yeah, two sets of pools stacks the deck against mid and low-level players. Some of the 2nd pools from VLS were just insane.
This is all based on the idea that making it "into the bracket" is some sort of significant accomplishment

Let's say that instead of doing a 2nd round of pools, they put all the players that made it out of 1st round directly into a bracket, then you go 2 and out in the bracket...

did you really accomplish any more in that case, playing 2 more matches, as compared to you getting 4th or 5th in the 2nd round of pools after playing 5 more matches?

the answer is no; there's nothing special about making it 'into the bracket' if you're just 2-and-out fodder anyway, just as there's nothing special about entering a tournament that didn't have pools to begin with

Even in a tournament with 1 round of pools, your accomplishment is that you made it out of 1st round of pools, not that you made it into the bracket. the fact that they are synonymous is just part of the system

I agree that taking 2 out kind of sucks, but frankly, i typically LOVE having the unbeatable 1-seed in my pool, if only because that generally correlates with having a very very beatable 2-seed... the hardest pools to advance from are those that do not have a clearly defined best player and instead have a glut of closely matched players at the top

...pools like pakman's. I personally think this is more of a problem with the tie-breaker system than anything; I think that we have all be trained to not value individual games (I have seen multiple players forfeit game 2 in a set just to keep the momentum) and instead just care about the set result, so I don't know that having games be a tiebreaker is legit. Obviously, there's nothing tangibly better and 3-way ties are just nightmares for the TOs to begin with, as even if you make them play it out again (a sort of 3-man pool), that will take at least half an hour and there's no guarantee that you'll come any closer to a 1-2-3 ordering.

Losing one set and being out of the tournament is really rather atrocious, but I don't see an easy way around it

edit: taking 3 out doesn't truly fix the problem because it's just as likely that the tie will be for 2nd place (between 2-3-4) as it is for 1st (1-2-3)

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Making into the bracket is not an accomplishment, but your wins from there on out will be much more significant than your wins in pools. You beat anyone notable in your pool it probably won't matter because they'll get 2nd seed and still make it out. However, if you cause a huge upset in brackets, it has MUCH more meaning and knocks a well known player into loser's/out of the tournament.

pockyD

Smash Legend
what's your opinion on Swiss Pocky?
great in theory, too hard to run, and also leads to a ton of ties (which will be resolved with even worse tie-breaking methods than pools)

Making into the bracket is not an accomplishment, but your wins from there on out will be much more significant than your wins in pools. You beat anyone notable in your pool it probably won't matter because they'll get 2nd seed and still make it out. However, if you cause a huge upset in brackets, it has MUCH more meaning and knocks a well known player into loser's/out of the tournament.
not quite; if you beat the 2nd seed in pools (and obviously you aren't the first seed), that's VERY significant; that means that if you hadn't simultaneously lost to someone theoretically worse than you, you would be the 2nd seed, not him

anyways, your argument is that the bracket is better because fluke wins make a bigger impact? the reason we do pools to begin with is to NEGATE the impact of such fluke wins. Having mango run through the loser's bracket without giving anyone else a chance is much worse for the tournament as a whole than him dropping a fluke match in pools but not having that affect 94% of the players there

conclusion: mango's link ditto skill (or lack thereof) shouldn't affect the tournament and the placings of a significant amount of other playres, though it clearly had a far larger impact at pound3 than it did at rom2

thumbswayup

Smash Master
great in theory, too hard to run, and also leads to a ton of ties (which will be resolved with even worse tie-breaking methods than pools)

not quite; if you beat the 2nd seed in pools (and obviously you aren't the first seed), that's VERY significant; that means that if you hadn't simultaneously lost to someone theoretically worse than you, you would be the 2nd seed, not him

anyways, your argument is that the bracket is better because fluke wins make a bigger impact? the reason we do pools to begin with is to NEGATE the impact of such fluke wins. Having mango run through the loser's bracket without giving anyone else a chance is much worse for the tournament as a whole than him dropping a fluke match in pools but not having that affect 94% of the players there

conclusion: mango's link ditto skill (or lack thereof) shouldn't affect the tournament and the placings of a significant amount of other playres, though it clearly had a far larger impact at pound3 than it did at rom2
True, but the kind of bs that Pakman experienced can't happen in brackets. You lose to someone and that's the end of it. ONE round of pools is good, after that things start getting insane with the stacked pools and makes it impossible for non-top level players to make it out sometimes.

What's wrong with doing one round of pools and then having a giant bracket? That way you get to play like 6 or 7 people in your pool and then if you make it out you won't feel bad about getting 0-2 if you do.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
There's no system that can account for players just deciding to play whoever/however they want. Throwing sets and choosing joke characters is more of a problem of professionalism IMO (I'll probably get flamed for that), and it's unfortunate that it has an effect on other players.

pockyD

Smash Legend
True, but the kind of bs that Pakman experienced can't happen in brackets. You lose to someone and that's the end of it.
that's true, but that's more of an issue with the tiebreaker system than anything

consider a 3-player tournament

if you do it round robin, you end up in the situation we have, so what can you do? you either use a (likely faulty) tiebreaker system, or you play another round robin, and another, until the results are correct

if you do it as a bracket, then the results are decided almost entirely by the randomness of deciding the match order

pools aim to eliminate randomness and promote fairness

pakman's situation sucks, but he did (and he admitted this) fairly lose, as that 2-1 is there for everyone to freely see.

and just fyi, a 3-way tie could just as easily have happened in round 1 of pools, so cutting it to 1 round of pools doesn't fix anything; do you want to have straight brackets of 200 people? (i'm actually asking, because a lot of people do want that)

ONE round of pools is good, after that things start getting insane with the stacked pools and makes it impossible for non-top level players to make it out sometimes.
Good! That's why pools exist! The bracket is meant to be the best of the best, and if no "surprises" make it out, then POOLS HAVE DONE THEIR JOB.

What's wrong with doing one round of pools and then having a giant bracket? That way you get to play like 6 or 7 people in your pool and then if you make it out you won't feel bad about getting 0-2 if you do.
Whether you feel bad or not is completely on you, and it's not up to the tournament format to cater to your feelings... the tournament format is meant to obtain results that are as accurate as possible within the timeframe allotted (and maybe provide a little excitement along the way :), but that's just a bonus).

thumbswayup

Smash Master
that's true, but that's more of an issue with the tiebreaker system than anything

Good! That's why pools exist! The bracket is meant to be the best of the best, and if no "surprises make it out", then POOLS HAVE DONE THEIR JOB.

Whether you feel bad or not is completely on you, and it's not up to the tournament format to cater to your feelings... the tournament format is meant to obtain results that are as accurate as possible within the timeframe allotted (and maybe provide a little excitement along the way :), but that's just a bonus).
While all that is true, tournaments would never be as exciting or worth going to if there weren't upsets. If the top 10 was the same at EVERY tournament it wouldn't be interesting at all. BUT if you give a player who isn't quite top level a chance in brackets, well then who knows. But sometimes players capable of being amazing get screwed over by pools and that's all I'm saying.

And upsets wouldn't happen unless the player who won had the potential to be amazing ;)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
So how about that GU opening shop back up in a different location?
-DD

pockyD

Smash Legend
While all that is true, tournaments would never be as exciting or worth going to if there weren't upsets. If the top 10 was the same at EVERY tournament it wouldn't be interesting at all. BUT if you give a player who isn't quite top level a chance in brackets, well then who knows. But sometimes players capable of being amazing get screwed over by pools and that's all I'm saying.

And upsets wouldn't happen unless the player who won had the potential to be amazing ;)
upsets happen in pools too

but once again, you're kind of dancing around the fact that the entire point of pools is to minimize the impact of upsets; if you want high-intensity matches all the time, then a straight bracket is the way to go

and personally, as a mediocre middling-level player, every single match i play in pools is high-stakes to me

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
No offense, but I think you're wrong pof. Mango is still the best player by a lot. Look at what he did to everyone else other than kage. It will take more than 1 tourny loss to make mango on the same level as everyone else. I think mango has a few more years of #1 under his belt.

Now onto the important stuffz. Cactuar retiring. ;_;
Cactus is/was like one of my favorite Marths. I should have known that switching to Fox was a gateway sign of "i'm quitting guys."

Do you even know what you're talking about?
Are you serious?
Others have said what I wanted to say so no need.

Also, pools are fantastic, it just seems like they are almost always put together poorly (both with seeding and with # of players in each)
I don't think MaNg0 will be the best for long. That's all I'm saying. We are already seeing signs of this.

I remember I said "Brawl will die" and you all were like "LOL pof, you know nothing." Hows that attendance lookin for pound 4 Brawl VS Melee guys? Hows MaNg0 doing in his EVEN match ups? (Peach, Ganon)

Did any of you see his set w Armada? The kid SHOULD HAVE lost that and we all know it.

I don't need to play Melee all the time and go to tournaments to know how a game is played. :)

Yeah, MaNg0 got FOURTH. Not SECOND Not THIRD.....FOURTH.

Ok, so pools at ROM II were stupid?

(Insert Aesir cool story bro)

Pools: Pools are better than brackets. End of discussion. It makes brackets smaller/faster, gives the lesser talented players more matches to play serious and with heart, and it also increases your chances of getting out.

Average pool looks something like

M2K
Cactuar
Misc A
Misc B
Misc C

with two people making it out. Lets say person A 2-0s B and C... and wins one match each on cactuar and m2k. Cactuar 2-0s B, C, 0-2 against A and goes 1-2 Vs M2K...you make it out of pools. Pools are still seeded and its harder to get out but it gives you more matches. Bottom line.

Pools put you under more pressure situations/serious matches and help you grow as a player faster than brackets. (two-three matches)

EDIT-

Throwing sets and choosing joke characters is more of a problem of professionalism IMO (I'll probably get flamed for that), and it's unfortunate that it has an effect on other players.
No, I agree. I hate when players throw matches and pick stupid characters because they A-know they are going to make it out of pools or B-don't care about the match. Cactus and Swift have done this...and it makes me cringe.

Example-I saw Cactus pick Roy against Frames at ROM and I was like...."Seriously dude? That's ****ing rude."

Pine

Smash Ace
the only reason i sucked in brackets was cuz i was dehydrated and couldnt move my hands johns...i did actually have to leave halfway through my game with tech and get water cuz i was about to faint johns

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I remember I said "Brawl will die" and you all were like "LOL pof, you know nothing." Hows that attendance lookin for pound 4 Brawl VS Melee guys?
Is this a joke?

Prince of Fire said:
You honestly think Brawl is going to have a better run than Melee dude? You honestly think people are going to be playing Brawl for years? I give Brawl about a year and than it will be over.

I'll bet $200.00 bucks on that one.
Just keep swinging buddy, you'll hit eventually.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I don't think MaNg0 will be the best for long. That's all I'm saying. We are already seeing signs of this.
Him getting fourth at one tournament isn't a "sign" of anything. At best it's a sign that he is bad against Ganon, which he repeatedly said long before he ever played Kage. He hasn't placed LOWER THAN FIRST at a single tournament since Pound 3. That includes sets against M2K, Darkrain, Chu, Hbox, Armada, Zhu, Jman... you name it.

I remember I said "Brawl will die" and you all were like "LOL pof, you know nothing." Hows that attendance lookin for pound 4 Brawl VS Melee guys?
Genesis had nearly 300 entrants for Brawl. CLEARLY a dead game YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG GARRETT GOOD JOB.

Hows MaNg0 doing in his EVEN match ups? (Peach, Ganon)

Did any of you see his set w Armada? The kid SHOULD HAVE lost that and we all know it.
He won the last six games in a row comfortably. What the hell are you talking about?

I don't need to play Melee all the time and go to tournaments to know how a game is played. :)
The funny part is that you do play Melee pretty frequently with really talented players (way moreso than me) and you're still total garbage.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
He won the last six games in a row comfortably. What the hell are you talking about?

The funny part is that you do play Melee pretty frequently with really talented players (way moreso than me) and you're still total garbage.
If he missed that rest, he would have lost. Momentum. It's really important in smash.

No, the only really good players near me are ummmmmm Swift. He maybe plays me once a month and for good reason....hes much better than me. I don't play with Cort.

I play with bolt, Noodles, and Vintage. Three people you don't/hardly know. When I do play with them its maybe once a week.

You all have no higher input than me when dealing w smash......so stop acting like you do. I don't act like I have a higher input than any of you....you just think I sound like that.

This is why the CT thread is stupid.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
ITT: Poffy doin' his thing.

Also, did anyone even notice the thing about GU opening again? Maybe Mass Madness will happen some more?!
Its opening in Somerville.

:D
-DD

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
You all have no higher input than me when dealing w smash......so stop acting like you do. I don't act like I have a higher input than any of you....you just think I sound like that.

This is why the CT thread is stupid.
I can think of another reason why this thread gets stupid sometimes...

Like trying to change the subject to GameUniverse. lolol

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I can think of another reason why this thread gets stupid sometimes...

Like trying to change the subject to GameUniverse. lolol
=[</3
I'm always wrong and everyone knows it, it's under my ****ing name for Christ's sake!
Yeah, and Umbreon said it, and its in your sig.

EDIT:
HOLY **** ITS HAZY! HIII ALEX!!!!

-DD

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Nick I'm sorry for posting without thinking.

Man, I gotta stop doing that! But it's so hard...

bolt.

Smash Ace
POF has actually gotten a lot better since I first started playing with him. =/
Oh and I'm going to start getting a lot better soon. I dunno why I'm announcing it, but I feel like the ct thread has to know this. =D

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
He's a Falco player from NC. He got third at TO5, beating Colbol and some other good players.

From what I've seen of him, he's a super nice and cool guy, too.

Edit: Super ninja'd while I was replying to a text.

Top Bottom