• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
they weren't in any particular order, all three games have rigid tiers.

_milktea

Smash Lord
i think i might die if i hear smashers whining about kage vs mango for much longer

clearly debating about the issue incessantly online will alter the results

oh wait...

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The best player in the world got double eliminated by a Ganon.

Where do we go from here?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

M2k is back to being the best then? Kage is the new best? Mango needs to learn his Ganon matchup?

*shrug*
-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
i think i might die if i hear smashers whining about kage vs mango for much longer

oh wait...
It's every American Smasher's patriotic duty to deny Kage the respect he earned by beating Mango.

USA!

I don't think that anyone will seriously doubt that Mango is still the best, but on Sunday you can't deny that Kage played better. I think that sums it up pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_67050_13524000&docId=1000455181

3 free MP3s from amazon.

Someone suggest songs for me to get. I got one left and can't decide. Youtube vids encouraged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_sHy9cVH0

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Skler is obviously the best player in the world now because he beat Mango in Link dittos in pools.

Inui logic is fun.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Skler is obviously the best player in the world now because he beat Mango in Link dittos in pools.

Inui logic is fun.
So wait, who is better? Kage or Skler?

I'm thinking Skler because he won with a lower tier character.
*nods*
-DD

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
No, Darc beat jman who beat Mango, therefore Darc = The Champion (of my heart)
D: Good point.
I hadn't considered that.
Darc<3

He was in the 4 minute RoM2 video thing.
I squealed a little on the inside.
-DD

bolt.

Smash Ace
Anyone from ct want to play melee tomorrow from 1-3 pm at my house? I just got my wisdom teeth out and won't have anything to do tomorrow. =(

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Anyone from ct want to play melee tomorrow from 1-3 pm at my house? I just got my wisdom teeth out and won't have anything to do tomorrow. =(
In Branford? I might be able to, but I don't think I would be in the area until around 2-2:30, and I'd need to scoot by 4:30.

D: I live in Killingworth.
-DD

thumbswayup

Smash Master

Inui logic is fun.
What's hysterical about this is that he beat Mango and STILL didn't make it out of pools lmao round 2 of pools was horrendously gay for everyone. They should have gone directly to brackets after the first round just like the first RoM did. Pools are so dumb when you have to beat a top level player to make it out.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
What's hysterical about this is that he beat Mango and STILL didn't make it out of pools lmao round 2 of pools was horrendously gay for everyone. They should have gone directly to brackets after the first round just like the first RoM did. Pools are so dumb when you have to beat a top level player to make it out.
especially when there was a pool who's 1-2 seeds were Pine and M.Z LOLOLOLOLOL.

Love you pine and M.Z, but like, Pakman beat HBK, lost to Bam and lost the 3 way tiebreakers and didn't make it out.

I've come around on pools and have decided that there needs to be a distinction for Pro players so that they don't assrape pools. like, 2nd round, 2 people make it out and if you had cactuar/jman/mango/hbox/PP in your pool, you're playing for 1 spot, which is stupid as ****. Or make larger pools with more people getting out.

thumbswayup

Smash Master

Love you pine and M.Z, but like, Pakman beat HBK, lost to Bam and lost the 3 way tiebreakers and didn't make it out.

I've come around on pools and have decided that there needs to be a distinction for Pro players so that they don't assrape pools. like, 2nd round, 2 people make it out and if you had cactuar/jman/mango/hbox/PP in your pool, you're playing for 1 spot, which is stupid as ****. Or make larger pools with more people getting out.
Exactly, I have a similar bs story on why I didn't make it out of round 2 either. The point is pools are ****ing stupid and there should just one of them at most unless you have a million entrants. I honestly don't see what's wrong with having a super large bracket. It's a lot more fair and interesting.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Thats perfect because I need to leave by 4:40 for class. =D
:3 Text me your address?
860 510 3364.

I'll see if I can make it over there in time. Coming down from Mass :3!

@Pools talk

I don't make it out of pools anyways, but I always found them to be kinda silly in the first place, and I didn't understand the logic/benefits of having 2 sets of pools. Just seems like a bigger headache. >_>; Plus I'm fairly certain brackets take less time because pools aren't very interesting.

I know it took forever to track down Th0rn last time I played in a pools match because he was busy elsewhere, then he just walked over, ***** everyone, and went back on his merry way.
-DD

P. O. F.

Smash Ace

oh wait...
I hope you're kidding around?

Also Kage ****

raaaaaape
I've taken two stocks off of Kage before....Yup, mad proud. :) His ganons spacing is fooging ********. I played him at ROM1 and he ***** me and Phish It so hard. Hes my favorite OOC player.

I use Fei Long :D
This makes me happy.

I knew MaNg0 would not be best in the world for long. No one IMO is really going to be dominating for "long" because the gap between skill level between Kenand everyone else was ******** and thats why he kept his streak and made the money he did. The skill level between M2K and everyone else 2 years ago was like "Yeah, I beat you guys....but i gotta really try hard." and the gap between MaNg0 and everyone now is like "We're ****ing right near you MaNg0!" Everyone is getting better at a much faster rate now than X amount of years ago.

We wait for Skler to win Pound 4.
lol this..
If this happens, I think I'll just kill myself.
I lol'd.

Tomorrow is Tuesday! Who wants to play Meree?

SWIfT????

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I think one of the main reason for pools is so that people don't travel hundreds of miles for regional/national tournaments and go 2-and-out in a brackets only format. That would really suck. I played like utter garbage at VLS and lost every match I played, but I still got to play five matches for my $40.

But yeah, two sets of pools stacks the deck against mid and low-level players. Some of the 2nd pools from VLS were just insane.

bolt.

Smash Ace
No offense, but I think you're wrong pof. Mango is still the best player by a lot. Look at what he did to everyone else other than kage. It will take more than 1 tourny loss to make mango on the same level as everyone else. I think mango has a few more years of #1 under his belt.

Now onto the important stuffz. Cactuar retiring. ;_;

Aesir

Smash Master
I knew MaNg0 would not be best in the world for long. No one IMO is really going to be dominating for "long" because the gap between skill level between Kenand everyone else was ******** and thats why he kept his streak and made the money he did. The skill level between M2K and everyone else 2 years ago was like "Yeah, I beat you guys....but i gotta really try hard." and the gap between MaNg0 and everyone now is like "We're ****ing right near you MaNg0!" Everyone is getting better at a much faster rate now than X amount of years ago.
Do you even know what you're talking about?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. seriously though, you've definitely got it right, Ken didn't have to try because no one was even close to him ever:

Ken lost more tournaments over his "dominance" than Mango has even dreamed of losing since he got on top. And in addition to that, Mango is a tough little *******, this loss is not going to phase him.

I think one of the main reason for pools is so that people don't travel hundreds of miles for regional/national tournaments and go 2-and-out in a brackets only format. That would really suck. I played like utter garbage at VLS and lost every match I played, but I still got to play five matches for my $40.

But yeah, two sets of pools stacks the deck against mid and low-level players. Some of the 2nd pools from VLS were just insane.
I like pools, I just don't like half the pools getting assraped by the players who are inevitably competing for 1st-5th, while the others have 2 up for grabs. We need an MLG style ranking system to seed **** *** players into the bracket so that the scramble in the mid-low levels is more fair.

Perhaps doing rounds of swiss in place of pools would be better too, why have TOs never considered using swiss?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The biggest advantages of pools is to give people a chance to play more than 2 matches before they are out of the tournament, cut down the number of entrants into the bracket and cut them into a useful number of players (usually a power of 2), and seed brackets based on performance rather than reputation.

Without pools, you seed by reputation which is a subjective statistic that the TO has to come up with.

Or make larger pools with more people getting out.
Isn't that what we told Scar to do in the first place for round 2 pools?

Here is my problem with round 2 pools at RoM. There were 3 people per pool coming out of pools round 1. 1st 2nd and 3rd seeds. My pool had 5 people. Round 2 pools should ALWAYS have 2 (or 3 in some cases) times the people who advanced from the previous rounds. My pool had 2 one seeds 2 two seeds and 1 three seed. With this scenario, you would have to have pools with 1 one seed and others with 2 one seeds. Those results are less deterministic.

Pools are good, but they should really be more standard rules for them. There should always be powers of 2 (or 2^x + .5*2^(x) if you want byes) number of pools. If sequential rounds of pools have to happen, this allows for an more streamlined way to do round 2 pools.

@ Mogawi: Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't some of the MLG playoffs have 16 spots for pros who had the most points from previous tournaments and were automatically in the tournament as well as 16 spots for an amateur tournament that would happen on day 1.

EDIT: I was typing this before you posted about MLG.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
The biggest advantages of pools is to give people a chance to play more than 2 matches before they are out of the tournament, cut down the number of entrants into the bracket and cut them into a useful number of players (usually a power of 2), and seed brackets based on performance rather than reputation.

Without pools, you seed by reputation which is a subjective statistic that the TO has to come up with.

Isn't that what we told Scar to do in the first place for round 2 pools?

Here is my problem with round 2 pools at RoM. There were 3 people per pool coming out of pools round 1. 1st 2nd and 3rd seeds. My pool had 5 people. Round 2 pools should ALWAYS have 2 (or 3 in some cases) times the people who advanced from the previous rounds. My pool had 2 one seeds 2 two seeds and 1 three seed. With this scenario, you would have to have pools with 1 one seed and others with 2 one seeds. Those results are less deterministic.

Pools are good, but they should really be more standard rules for them. There should always be powers of 2 (or 2^x + .5*2^(x+1) if you want byes) number of pools. If sequential rounds of pools have to happen, this allows for an more streamlined way to do round 2 pools.

@ Mogawi: Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't some of the MLG playoffs have 16 spots for pros who had the most points from previous tournaments and were automatically in the tournament as well as 16 spots for an amateur tournament that would happen on day 1.
they did something like that. I never went to an MLG, so I wouldn't know the specifics.

and yea, I should've been there to assist Scar on the 2nd round of pools construction more, but I dunno, it was neither of us's god**** tourney so... yea, there's that.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Are you serious?
Others have said what I wanted to say so no need.

Also, pools are fantastic, it just seems like they are almost always put together poorly (both with seeding and with # of players in each)

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I wanted to get ***** by Swift in Fox dittos in our pools matches but he went Marth and stuff. :(

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Man no tourney would be complete without Garrett posting his horribly uninformed interpretation of the results. You're completely wrong on this one.

Mango is still the best in the world. He'll bounce back. It just seems like he's less dominant because M2K was/is better at ****** people who are worse than him.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer

lol whats even more ****ed up about this was that the only reason mdz got out of his first pool was cuz the 3rd seed had to go and forfeited.

But I mean, both Pine and mdz beat chops, a players whose supposed to be an auto #1 spot. So to say they didn't deserve to be in brackets is kind of just wrong. Maybe if pakman did better in his first pool, he'd have less 1st seeds in his second pool which would have made it easier to make it out.

Personally don't see the problem with multiple pools. Brackets are the same but gayer. going 0-2 and out sucks.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
lol whats even more ****ed up about this was that the only reason mdz got out of his first pool was cuz the 3rd seed had to go and forfeited.

But I mean, both Pine and mdz beat chops, a players whose supposed to be an auto #1 spot. So to say they didn't deserve to be in brackets is kind of just wrong. Maybe if pakman did better in his first pool, he'd have less 1st seeds in his second pool which would have made it easier to make it out.

Personally don't see the problem with multiple pools. Brackets are the same but gayer. going 0-2 and out sucks.
I got first seed in my first pool. Like I don't feel like I got screwed, I didn't deserve to be in brackets. It just sucks that I lost one set in the entire singles event and didn't get into bracket.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
oh... that really sucks then lol
grats on beating hbk

wow and you had both bam and hbk in your pool? tough

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This is a total pipe dream, but if Smash is going to be played on a national level, there should ideally be some kind of national ranksing system. It doesn't have to be set in stone, but it could at least provide some sort of framework for large tournaments to work from.

Top Bottom