• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It still is mind boggling to me that the Octolings wasn't put into the base game as a Inkling Echo.
I guess things were finalised in the roster before the Octo Expansion was started.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
ARMS is a great game, but it got overshadowed by Breath of the Wild and Smash Ultimate during it's first year
Um, smash bros ultimate was only announced almost a year after Arms came out. Arms released June 2017, smash ult was a 2018 game.
BotW came out way earlier and was the only thing people were really playing at first, and there was substantial complaints that the Switch was lacking in games to play.

When Arms came out it was doing decently. As other people say, what really killed it was Splatoon 2 completely cannibalizing the more casual player base and significant improvements like extra modes and badges being added too late to bring back those players.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Have you considered the possibility that they might want to feature some of the sequel's weapons and save the Octolings for Smash 6 to do so?
I didn't thought about that. But still since they were planned to be playable in the original Splatoon, they probably had early versions of the weapons cooked up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And with that we're now at 100 pages!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
God we're so close but I wont lie I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if the ARMS character is Mechanica, Byte & Bark, Misango, or Springtron (though this one has no chance in hell as anything but an alt).

Everyone else I could live with.

Hype - Dr. Coyle, Twintelle, Master Mummy, Spring-Man, Ribbon Girl

Cool - Min-Min, Ninjara, Max Brass, Helix

Okay I guess - Lola Pop, Kid Cobra

Meh - The rest I listed above.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I guess things were finalised in the roster before the Octo Expansion was started.
The Inklings themselves focus mainly on Splatoon 1. Look at how Splatoon 2 content is minor stuff like Lil Judd on Moray Towers.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Wow...100 pages. That's a lot. We did it. It's been a journey.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but the Octolings were suppose to be playable in the original Splatoon at one point though. I know they would be a lock if we get more Echos through DLC.
considered not supposed to be

ARMS is a great game, but it got overshadowed by Breath of the Wild and Smash Ultimate during it's first year
smash came out the following year

edit: oops beaten to it

Last edited:

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, I was excited for June, but I sure hope Nintendo doesn't cancel their plans like Sony did. Its been like half a year since we got our last character and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well 100 pages is fine and dandy, but it won't make time go any faster.

Ugh, I was excited for June, but I sure hope Nintendo doesn't cancel their plans like Sony did. Its been like half a year since we got our last character and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.
The launch of a brand-new system isn't an event on nearly the same scale as DLC content for a game that's been out for over a year. Things will go just fine.

Besides, Nintendo doesn't even have a Summer Direct, this year.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think they will. Nintendo's a lot more Japan-centric than Sony is, for better and for worse.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Also, I do believe that the PS5 presentation was meant for the E3 (prior to the corona virus), and therefore a lot for the american audience, hence the report because of the riots.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The RTC thread is currently rating Dr. Coyle, Lola Pop, Springtron, and Concept: Brand New ARMS Character.

https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...eeman-half-life.453357/page-637#post-23955291

Feel free to rate each character in both chance and want, and make sure you give at least 2 sentences for each of them for your ratings to count. Keep in mind that if you don't feel like rating a certain character/concept, you can choose to abstain and still have your scores counted.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
At this point I just want more first party Nintendo characters added to Smash and wanting lesser known franchises to be revived by Nintendo.

Golden Sun, Eternal Darkness, Battalion Wars, Excite Truck, Sin and Punishment, Elite Beat Agents, Disaster: Days of Crisis, Advance Wars, F-Zero, Chibi Robo, Punch out, Kid Icarus, Pilot Wings, Wave Race, 1080 Snow Boarding, Nintendogs, Mother/Earthbound, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Jill Drill Dozer, Geist and the Magical series would be pretty good games for Nintendo to flesh out more of their franchises.

Good news that ARMS is rising up in popularity due to Smash. Brings a smile to my face knowing that a Nintendo Franchise is doing well.
I'd love to see these series at least represented in Smash somehow. Even as collectibles (Trophies, Spirits, etc.)would be just fine.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
In an effort to control the hype, I'm going to wildly predict my version of Arms 2!

New features:
- New Arms attributes:
Trap: when a charged arm doesn't hit, it leaves behind a trap that will affect fighters who step on them. An accidental discovery from a helix prototype that fell apart mid-fight.
Shadow: when charged, the arm goes slighting invisible! Based on Dr. Coyle's technology and refined by Ninja College scientists.
- New mechanic: rush overload. Risky, character-specific rush attacks that require use of a character's default arm. Great to turn the tides beyond the abilities of a regular rush attack, but miss it and it will likely be curtains as rush gauge will be penalized.
- New items:
BarqP.U.P: Barq fans can now have their own PUP (Personal Unit Prototype) to aid them in battle! Please don't jump on these, they're not made for it and might explode
DodgeBowl: Novelty bowling ball! hit it and watch it ricochet around the stage, causing wanton destruction even on shields. Makers not held responsible for broken arms.
Flurry Juice: Wish your HP juice was a little bit more chilled? Wish granted! Except now it doesn't actually heal you, it just creates its own micro-blizzard that may affect the accuracy of your arms. Maybe we made it a bit too cold, you should probably avoid these.

- New mini-games:
DodgeBowl: The crafty invention was popular enough to become an arms league side-event. Using your arms doesn't count as points in this mode, but it should be fine to use them to stun opponents so the dodgebowl does the dirty job! Team of two stand on each side, and whichever team gets the most points wins!
Bowling: Everyone took the bowling bowls to play dodgebowl, so you'll have to use your arms instead to take down constantly changing and moving sets of dozens of pins.
Arcade: Want to develop strategies without getting a black eye in real-life combat? Try out our Arm-cade, where you have a top down view of a retro Arms fight. No special effect, no jumping or dodging, just honest, safe, punching.

- New story mode:
The Arms League championship is back for its next season. However, in a strange twist, reigning champion Min Min is nowhere to be found. Commish Max Brass, with the help of Biff, set out to recruit the next up-and-coming fighter to not only rile up the fans who fear the championship won't take place, but to also locate the missing champion.
As you progress through the story and visit different locales, you unlock more arms that will help for future, tougher encounters.

The obvious story beat would be that, seeing Min Min crowned champion, Dr. Coyle set out to abduct her to conduct experiments on her dragon arm in order to unlock more power out of the Arms ability. These experiments are what result in the discovery of the rush overload.
I'm of two-minds here. You could get the hokey story beat where Dr. Coyle tries to make her own Min Min clone a la springtron, and then you have an evil Min Min as a new character, or you could go the other hokey story beat that echoes Splatoon 2, where you fight a hedlock controlled overloaded Min Min or something like that. And Dr. Coyle. At the same time. Or maybe not, that might actually be obnoxious.

- New characters:
I have no strong feelings here. I think some characters would be NPCs in the story and not playable until later in DLC, like Byte could be an NPC that helps you in the story and becomes unlockable later. I also would sacrifice some OG characters to make way for new ones. Master Mummy in particular would step out of the fight to enjoy his family.

For new characters, I'd have a mix of new blood and characters that expand on lore of established characters. For example:
- Ninja college character based on strings/yo-yo, specializes in shadow arms
- Misangan heavy based on vines/tree trunks
- Hunter-type character based on rope/bolas with arms that specialize on the new trap mechanic
- Min Min rival. Either evil clone made by Dr. Coyle, OR member of a different noodle house rival to Mintendo. In this case, it would be Tsuki Min of house Tsukega. Instead of a dragon arm this character would have a kraken-like tentacle and the noodle arms would be squid ink (black). Name is based on Tsukemen dish. More night-like palette to counter Min Min's bright, sun-like colors.

And that's all I have I think. Established features like party crash bash and badges return, multiple new arms exist but some don't come back, similar online party mode but now allows for players to list game mode preferences. Method to get more arms remains as coins, but arms unlocked in a character's story mode are kept as well.

Now I really want an Arms 2. T-T

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People stating ARMS is dead or was a failure always annoys me. But so does people who say that the mechanics of the game need improving and then make suggestions that are antithetical to the core concept of the game.

I think someone here said they needed to iron out the kinks? What kinks? ARMS is fine. The problem is the lack of content and the slow drip of it when it first came out. It's core gameplay works wonderfully. They could maybe add the ability to switch up ARMS mid-battle. But once you suggest that they give them "more moves" then it stops being ARMS.

EDIT: I didn't see the post before me making suggestions for a sequel. I suppose since I made this post I should also make suggestions for what I'd like to see. At least regarding mechanics. I'll get into other modes another time.

New Mechanics
Gone are the motion controls. Without having to worry about making a game that can work with joycons they can enhance a lot of the core mechanics like:
Full 3D ARMS control
You can now use the right stick for more complex movement. For example, you can now arc your attack up and curve it down.
Switch ARMS Mid Battle
Like I said above, you can now toggle between three ARM types in the middle of a battle. Your arm needs to be fully retratced. You can't swap out while it's in the middle of attacking. Swapping ARMS will leave you a little vulnerable. While you can punch with your other arm you won't be able to move or dodge while swapping.
Sliding Dash
With new ARM movement there's new character movement options too. You can now do a sliding dash under attacks by pressing the sheild and dash button together. This won't work on giant ARMS or if the player is aiming their attack donwards.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
June time! Between the 1st and it's anniversary on the 16th we're finally gonna get that announcement.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I also would sacrifice some OG characters to make way for new ones.
I honestly wouldn't.

ARMS roster is small enough that I think you can keep every fighter and simply add more.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I honestly wouldn't.

ARMS roster is small enough that I think you can keep every fighter and simply add more.
Fighting games tend to have rotating rosters, and I think it's not necessarily a bad thing. Not every fighting game should strive for "everyone is here" and I would rather see the roster grow even if it's at the cost of some original fighters not making it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fighting games tend to have rotating rosters, and I think it's not necessarily a bad thing. Not every fighting game should strive for "everyone is here" and I would rather see the roster grow even if it's at the cost of some original fighters not making it.
The thing is, ARMS already have a small roster for a fighting game.

I don't see how cutting characters will result in a bigger roster when the groundwork for the existing ones is already done.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If the roster was bigger, I'd agree.

But fighting game fans are notoriously loyal to their characters.

When Street Fighter III only kept Ryu and Ken, it nearly killed the Street Fighter series as a whole, even with awesome new characters.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite got huge criticism for the veterans they cut.

When a game only has 15 fighters and they don't bring them all back, you know that'll be a huge point of criticism.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
ARMS is in an intresting place as far as fighters go as none of them have a moveset unique to them. Each character is determained by their stats, their gimmicks and (barring a lot of grinding) their default ARMS. I imagine it makes them easier to balance but harder to come up with new concepts as you have to use the same base moveset of left hook, right hook, grab, block, dodge, jump and air dodge.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ah but the gimmicks make all the difference. Ninjara players don't play like Min Min players who don't play like Spring Man players etc etc.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but Ninjara's playstyle completely revolves around teleporting. Min Min's playstyle is dependant on her dragon arm and kicking. These things change how you play and what strategies you use. It's a game of movement. So giving the player unique ways to move shapes the way of combat.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The thing is, ARMS already have a small roster for a fighting game.

I don't see how cutting characters will result in a bigger roster when the groundwork for the existing ones is already done.
Adding new characters instead of old ones expands the general roster and world of Arms.

And while groundwork is done for the first Arms game, if there's new mechanics and Arms that's extra work that would have to be done anyway regardless of whether it's a new or old character.

Sequels should never be the first game plus more stuff and need to be ok with letting go of some content from the previous game. Also I would argue that in the context of 45 or so arms times 15 characters, the roster of both characters and arms is pretty substantial as it is. I disagree that Arms 1 was lacking in fighters, particularly for the first installment. The Arms factor, in fact, is something I would argue adds significant complexity and means Arms would not be practical with gigantic rosters like other fighting games.

Consider also something like Splatoon 2 where they completely removed all specials from the first game and instead opted for new ones. Nintendo is an innovation company that will not be afraid of tossing away the old for the sake of the new if they feel it will be more fun.

If the roster was bigger, I'd agree.

But fighting game fans are notoriously loyal to their characters.

When Street Fighter III only kept Ryu and Ken, it nearly killed the Street Fighter series as a whole, even with awesome new characters.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite got huge criticism for the veterans they cut.

When a game only has 15 fighters and they don't bring them all back, you know that'll be a huge point of criticism.
Fighting game fans are ALSO used to characters not returning. Again, this is not new, and it's folly to assume literally everyone will come back in a sequel. I also doubt anything as extreme as SFIII would happen again given there are so many fan favorites, so it's not like they're leave spring man and springtron and kill the rest.

And yea, it would be criticism if you have LESS than 15 characters in a future game, but if you have more content I doubt many new players or even a lot of established ones would immediately dismiss the game because of a couple characters not making it in. Smeone will inevitably complain because someone always does, but this is not new to how fighting games or any games with rosters work. Kart Racers, mario parties... multiple games rotate rosters, and thinking in the vein of "everyone is here" is just setting up for disappointment and unrealistic expectations, imo.

edit: one other point. A huge point of critique of the first game was the weakness of it's arcade/story and lack of that type of single-player content. If they keep the character roster limited it will be far more manageable to have individual characters with individual storylines, and that way you address an actually significant complaint that came up regarding the first game. I would argue Arms 2 should prioritize that story and lore over having a significant increase in characters.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If a proper replacement that fits the niche the old character had you can replace them. Misango, for example has a whole civilization of Misangan people who are in touch with the Misangi. In fact, you could replace Misango with someone even MORE in touch with the Misangi.

Helix is the same. If they can make one they can make another.

I wouldn't replace Master Mummy. There's a lot of potential lore with him and still a ton of mystery. But Misango? It's his civilization that is the big deal and their connection with the gods that gave the world ARMS. He's just one guy from it.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
how are you going to go cut fighters in a 15 character game

like yeah sure, maybe they'll cut springtron, but if a sequel actually was in development i heavily doubt they're starting from scratch lol
as stated prior the game's roster is already really small for today's standards

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
People will take cuts if they're the less preferred characters, but with only 15 (and really 14 because Springtron takes no effort) characters, they're very far from the point where they need to choose between new and returning characters. A sequel should by all means have both, at least in this early point in the franchise.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Honestly I think a sequel should have the characters with a new look. Like Spring Man grew a beard and where's a jacket. Maybe the next game has a theme where the world took a turn for the worse and character design no longer looks like they are competing in a tournament and instead look like they are in a world of peril.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Honestly what floors me the most is that in a wall of text of “look at all the new things they could do”, the thing that immediately got to people was the possibility of a couple characters not coming back.

makes me long for the days where game sequels inexplicably dropped mechanics to test new gameplay options and no one batted an eye. You just moved on and went back to the previous game to keep playing what you liked from that one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly what floors me the most is that in a wall of text of “look at all the new things they could do”, the thing that immediately got to people was the possibility of a couple characters not coming back.

makes me long for the days where game sequels inexplicably dropped mechanics to test new gameplay options and no one batted an eye. You just moved on and went back to the previous game to keep playing what you liked from that one.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Zelda II did well in reception outside of the obligatory high score from Nintendo Power.
To say nothing of how Paper Mario was turned into something completely different and Nintendo's refusal to make Gamecube Virtual Console or ports make it increasingly harder to go back to.

People have always had their comfort zones. Change is not an inherently good or bad thing. It's a thing that can happen and everyone has their own response to it.

Top Bottom