• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Honestly, I wouldn't really care which characters are in the next Fighters Pass. I'm practically happy with what the roster is right now, and all these DLC characters are icing on the cake for me. I bought the whole second pass because the tagline is "Everyone is HERE!", and I personally want my copy to live up to that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
i wonder if i should get the arms character straight away or wait and see if its worth getting the full pass? what are the rest of you doing?
I'll wait to see what's in it, or at least see the direction. Last Pass I waited because there were big rumors of Steve and I didn't want to be paying for him, so as soon as Banjo was announced I bought it. This time around I might only wait for the second character's announcement and take a leap of faith on how I expect the Pass to go, because I can't be wasting money buying the characters individually.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
inspect element mockup of the impending oooOOOooOOoo

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In that case, go for the DLC that are interesting to you only. While you do save a bit of money on the pass, it stills requires to pay for everything at once, and for characters that are indeed unsure to be to your liking. To quote Sakurai about FP1 and the characters being a mystery at that time: "I hope only those who are confident in it's value will purchase it"
that does seem like the most reasonable course of action for me, im not confidant that theyll all be characters id love or even half of them.

I'll wait to see what's in it, or at least see the direction. Last Pass I waited because there were big rumors of Steve and I didn't want to be paying for him, so as soon as Banjo was announced I bought it. This time around I might only wait for the second character's announcement and take a leap of faith on how I expect the Pass to go, because I can't be wasting money buying the characters individually.
well i felt a little burn for taking the leap of faith with B&K after terry and byleth

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I really hope that the delay wasn’t solely because it was difficult to create and/or balance the ARMs Fighter, but also because they’re going to add one or more echoes alongside the main fighter.

Anything is possible for an initially-unplanned second wave of DLC in a series where a lot of unprecedented things have already happened and shattered expectations or perceived rules.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really hope that the delay wasn’t solely because it was difficult to create and/or balance the ARMs Fighter, but also because they’re going to add one or more echoes alongside the main fighter.

Anything is possible for an initially-unplanned second wave of DLC in a series where a lot of unprecedented things have already happened and shattered expectations or perceived rules.
Except that the most many of us expect are alts, not Echoes...The big guys would have said so if this batch included Echoes.

Echoes/clones/what have you are only saved for the base game when there's a little leftover time for a few bonuses. Meanwhile, DLC focuses mainly on introducing new types of moves and new mechanics.

9 PM Eastern time on Tuesdays, though there have been times where it's 8:30 PM instead.
Much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They didn’t say “NO Echoes” either unlike last time
If the structure of this pass is similar to the previous one, then I can reasonably expect the usual format (1 fighter, 1 stage, some tracks, Mii costumes notwithstanding) to remain. If there were Echoes, I'd only expect them to come with the final fighter at most, when there wouldn't be time enough left to make elaborate uniques.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
If there's echoes coming, I hope it will not be obligatory tied to the new fighter. It would be limiting, while also not being able to give a chance to previous candidates, such as Octolings.

On the downside, I also expect echoes to not be part of the fighter pass... If there's even echoes in the first place.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, it would be nice to have more Echo Fighters in Smash, especially if there's one for an existing fighter for each Challenger Pack released in this Pass.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Honestly what floors me the most is that in a wall of text of “look at all the new things they could do”, the thing that immediately got to people was the possibility of a couple characters not coming back.

makes me long for the days where game sequels inexplicably dropped mechanics to test new gameplay options and no one batted an eye. You just moved on and went back to the previous game to keep playing what you liked from that one.
It's a testament to how egregious the notion of them cutting anybody is haha.

And just how game development works, because at the end of the day characters are what sell fighting games. Well, that and story modes I guess.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Characters sell fighting games, gameplay keeps them alive.

Some can recover like Street Fighter 3 which came back after people learnt to appreciate the new guys. Others like MVC: I... we'll get back to you on that one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Some can recover like Street Fighter 3 which came back after people learnt to appreciate the new guys. Others like MVC: I... we'll get back to you on that one.
Given that, we gotta consider ourselves lucky when some series are willing to bring back lesser-featured characters from past entries. Cases like the modern MK trilogy are practically ashamed of even acknowledging those, sometimes, or simply can't due to legal reasons (see Street Fighter EX).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

And Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Yeah good idea Neatherrealm, have an crossover with something where you're toned down despite violence being what makes Mortal Kombat what it is...Couldn't had crossover with Killer Instinct or something huh?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Yeah good idea Neatherrealm, have an crossover with something where you're toned down despite violence being what makes Mortal Kombat what it is...Couldn't had crossover with Killer Instinct or something huh?
Things aren't so simple though.

Midway was pretty desperate to not get bankrupt and took the opportunity of some of its staff knowing some people who work at DC.

That's pretty much the only reason that the game exists.

NetherRealm Studios was created alongside MK9, btw, so good job blaming something that didn't exist at the time. :p

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Things aren't so simple though.

Midway was pretty desperate to not get bankrupt and took the opportunity of some of its staff knowing some people who work at DC.

That's pretty much the only reason that the game exists.

NetherRealm Studios didn't exist at the time either.
The only good thing that came out of that was Midway being bought out by Warner Bros. otherwise we never would had gotten the rebooted MK games.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The only good thing that came out of that was Midway being bought out by Warner Bros. otherwise we never would had gotten the rebooted MK games.
And the only reason the reboot is as good at it is? Warner Brothers is actually super respectful of their time.

You'd think that games getting the time they deserve to be properly done would be a no-brainer, yet this very fact was one of the most hype things about MK9, which really speaks of just how ****tily Midway treated the Mortal Kombat staff in the PS2 days for the sake of money.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Speaking of fighting game characters; if all of the original 15 ARMS characters came back for ARMS 2, what kind of redesign would you give to every character?
For most characters, I suppose that we could see a simple extension of what they actually are so far. Ninjara could get a new ninja outfit, if he is not a student anymore, Twintelle could simply have a new flashy outfit, Mechanica could get a new, more sleek design for a 2.0 mech, Min-Min could reflect her status as a party crash champion...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Speaking of fighting game characters; if all of the original 15 ARMS characters came back for ARMS 2, what kind of redesign would you give to every character?
I could imagine Lola Pop having a more ringmaster kind of aesthetic to her, Dr. Coyle could look even more insane with rusty ARMS, more messy hair and a Hannibal Lecter-type mask.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Ribbon Girl as a pop Idol would have to have a whole new outfit, Ninjara could graduate from Ninja U and dress more like a conventional one in black (or navy blue if they wanna be accurate), Max Brass could pass the belt on but be back to reclaim it, enjoying being the challenger for a change.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And the only reason the reboot is as good at it is? Warner Brothers is actually super respectful of their time.

You'd think that games getting the time they deserve to be properly done would be a no-brainer, yet this very fact was one of the most hype things about MK9, which really speaks of just how ****tily Midway treated the Mortal Kombat staff in the PS2 days for the sake of money.
Meanwhile, we got the Injustice games out of the deal, allowing the DC heroes and villains to shine on their own merits.

I could imagine Lola Pop having a more ringmaster kind of aesthetic to her, Dr. Coyle could look even more insane with rusty ARMS, more messy hair and a Hannibal Lecter-type mask.
Seeing how Lola's hair seems like hard candy, I wonder if it'd be possible for it to be down at all.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/856317316621986609/

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I but every characters because I'm on the more competitive side and even my least wanted characters will get some play time from me.

They got me hook, line and sinker. :4falco:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
One thing I can say for certain:

If we get a single ARMS character (no additional characters as alts or anything), the trailer will have all of the ARMS characters fighting for the invite like in Terry's trailer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In my opinion if not by character 2, character 3 is when it's decision making time.

If there's echoes coming, I hope it will not be obligatory tied to the new fighter. It would be limiting, while also not being able to give a chance to previous candidates, such as Octolings.

On the downside, I also expect echoes to not be part of the fighter pass... If there's even echoes in the first place.
Yeah, it would be nice to have more Echo Fighters in Smash, especially if there's one for an existing fighter for each Challenger Pack released in this Pass.
I would accept the Echo coming along with said FP fighter if they could be a Echo off of any character from that newcomer's series. Imagine a unique Dixie Kong fighter with a Funky Kong/DK Echo to boot. Or Krystal with a Leon Powalski/Wolf Echo.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember that the pass is the cost of all the sets in it minus one so you can use that to gauge whether you buy it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Makes all the comments of Byleth ruining the pass hilarious in hindsight.
Side-note: I wonder if Byleth's inclusion was the character they could afford to take a loss on, i.e. not royalties needed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It would be the actual reason why not every third-party can be allowed in the same game at the same time: ****'s expensive man. At least some sound like they'd be lent for a song.
I can imagine that Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were the most expensive 3rd party newcomers in Ultimate to get the license for as well as the veteran Cloud due to all the different copyright owners that own all the different stuff in the Square-Enix franchises and Banjo & Kazooie being a Mircosoft franchise now. Through a business prospect, they all made sense to be introduced into Smash as DLC fighters because of all the money their companies would make off of them.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Oh now you're starting to sound like Marson. Who cares about the tier list, enjoy the character because you like them.
Amen. I think people forget that Smash is more than just a competetive fighting game. I always bring my Switch to friend or family gatherings and we have a blast. It's a mess of fun and I intend to add as much fun as possible to this game. More characters. More stages. More laughs. More memories.

After the pandemic is over I'm throwing a big party and we're playing Mario Kart and Smash! (And sometimes I can convince my friends to play a game of ARMS too)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In my opinion if not by character 2, character 3 is when it's decision making time.
I agree but this time around it may be a while before we know the third character's identity, and if the ARMS rep is cool enough I don't know if I'll be able to wait for so long, so the second character might have to be my barometer.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I really don't care about competitive Smash, it's too restrictive for my liking. Prefer to have fun

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can imagine that Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were the most expensive 3rd party newcomers in Ultimate to get the license for as well as the veteran Cloud due to all the different copyright owners that own all the different stuff in the Square-Enix franchises and Banjo & Kazooie being a Mircosoft franchise now. Through a business prospect, they all made sense to be introduced into Smash as DLC fighters because of all the money their companies would make off of them.
I think Terry was one of the cheaper ones in terms of up front cost but was probably the most expensive in man-hours when SNK said yes to all songs.

Top Bottom