• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
One thing I can say for certain:

If we get a single ARMS character (no additional characters as alts or anything), the trailer will have all of the ARMS characters fighting for the invite like in Terry's trailer.
Yeah I can see that happening.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, that's all she wrote for this week:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, that's all she wrote for this week:

I can't believe they just went ahead and deconfirmed the Nintendo 64 as a character for Volume 2 :crying:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Banjo & Kazooie got me to buy the pass partially...I probably shouldn't have though since I rarely if ever play Joker (nor do I like him or his inclusion) or Terry. Heroes are pretty fun at least, and I was happy to at least get some first party content for the Byleths. This time I'll probably just get them individually. even if I do get all them, I'm not out that much and I get to not risk buying something I don't want.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
i wonder if i should get the arms character straight away or wait and see if its worth getting the full pass? what are the rest of you doing?
Personally I only get one fighter at a time with any game because of the fact you never know who you'll get in these season passes. It'd be like buying milk without an expiration date: you may be lucky with the first bottle but no telling if the next won't have chunks in it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I usually buy the whole DLC pass as I enjoy Smash content and if nothing else it's more spirit battles and tracks for the music player.

Unless they all get the Square Enix treatment this time.
Kinda strange how the companies have different policies on what is involved in a crossover licence.

Konami, Sega, Microsoft: All content from said series
Capcom: All content from said series and it's spin-offs
Namco: Take the whole Arcade library
Square Enix: Individually licence every character, song and png.
SNK: TAKE MY IP, TAKE IT ALL!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Square Enix treatment for Dragon Quest wasn't really any different than other packs in the first volume.

Literally only thing it got less content was the music (and even it isn't a huge difference) and it got more playable characters in the form of alternate costumes than any other third party franchise.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Square Enix treatment for Dragon Quest wasn't really any different than other packs in the first volume.

Literally only thing it got less content was music and it got more playable characters in the form of alternate costumes than any other third party franchise.
I was specifically referring to the music that time.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
hopefully arms doesn't suffer the three houses curse of getting very few new tracks for a first party and having said music choices be frequently questionable (only one final boss theme, no tempest of seasons, both versions of gronder field)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
hopefully arms doesn't suffer the three houses curse of getting very few new tracks for a first party and having said music choices be frequently questionable (only one final boss theme, no tempest of seasons, both versions of gronder field)
I think the more comparable one is Punch-Out in that it's a new series being added but they may neglect all the character themes.
Or it could be Street fighter and go "Oops, all character themes" and we miss out on the replay theme.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I think the more comparable one is Punch-Out in that it's a new series being added but they may neglect all the character themes.
Or it could be Street fighter and go "Oops, all character themes" and we miss out on the replay theme.
i don't want to live in a world where the spirit board isn't set to the party crash theme

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Don't forget that Street Fighter have it's character select theme despite not being played on Suzaku Castle. They are only a few of them, but there's definitely tracks there for the online arena's menu (and WoL), mostly Smash original tracks.

On the subject of series per third parties, there's also an After Burner music track for Sega, although it is indeed the Bayonetta version.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personally I only get one fighter at a time with any game because of the fact you never know who you'll get in these season passes. It'd be like buying milk without an expiration date: you may be lucky with the first bottle but no telling if the next won't have chunks in it.
i know someone who sometimes forgets to check the dates on things

I usually buy the whole DLC pass as I enjoy Smash content and if nothing else it's more spirit battles and tracks for the music player.

Kinda strange how the companies have different policies on what is involved in a crossover licence.

Konami, Sega, Microsoft: All content from said series
Capcom: All content from said series and it's spin-offs
Namco: Take the whole Arcade library
Square Enix: Individually licence every character, song and png.
SNK: TAKE MY IP, TAKE IT ALL!
to be fair we dont how much of that is due to the company and how much is due to the smash team

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
to be fair we dont how much of that is due to the company and how much is due to the smash team
SNK wasn't anywhere this generous with Tekken, SoulCalibur or Fighting EX Layer, so Smash is definitely a big influence for SNK specifically.

And two of these games are games made by Namco, just like Ultimate.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
SNK wasn't anywhere this generous with Tekken, SoulCalibur or Fighting EX Layer, so Smash is definitely a big influence for SNK specifically.

well remember the smash team asked for all those songs and do we know how many songs NB asked for in their games?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

I think it's simply a matter of internal game logic. While Haohmaru doesn't bring as much content as Terry in Smash, there's still definitely love for Samurai Shodown in his DLC. The stage is gorgeous, uses voices from SamSho instead of the usual SC narrator, Kuroko is here as a referee, Haohmaru brings a lot of things from SamSho in his moveset... There's even Nakoruru's outfit for character creation as an extra. And while there's only one track, it's a really good remix.

I haven't played Tekken as much, but I've seen that Geese have his own meter mechanic, and the stage uses 2 tracks like all Tekken stages: the original Soy Sauce for Geese, and Remix.

I would almost say that Smash is the anomaly when it comes to content in DLCs, in a good way.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
still there

View attachment 273601

as discussed last week on page 94 it's an error that's been there since june 2019
Considering the first wave of DLC doesn’t even have amiibo yet, one of which even being a first-party character (so the logic of Spring Man being faster to produce because first-party doesn’t apply because where’s Byleth?), I think it’s definitely Squirtle missing and somehow never having been fixed all those months.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Considering the first wave of DLC doesn’t even have amiibo yet, one of which even being a first-party character (so the logic of Spring Man being faster to produce because first-party doesn’t apply because where’s Byleth?), I think it’s definitely Squirtle missing and somehow never having been fixed all those months.
cuirously he was there in april 2019 but then an update broke him completely

1591187668431.png

the fact that it still isn't fixed after over a year speaks more to nintendo completely leaving behind amiibos than anything else

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
cuirously he was there in april 2019 but then an update broke him completely

View attachment 273602

the fact that it still isn't fixed after over a year speaks more to nintendo completely leaving behind amiibos than anything else
Or intern-kun messing up, quite simply.

We should at least wait for and see the ARMS showcase before determining whether anything will be done with amiibo, only Sakurai would know.

That one guy who boosted up FE's music selection by himself apparently didn't care much for Three Houses, heh. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Or intern-kun messing up, quite simply.

We should at least wait for and see the ARMS showcase before determining whether anything will be done with amiibo, only Sakurai would know.

That one guy who boosted up FE's music selection by himself apparently didn't care much for Three Houses, heh. :drshrug:
They clearly forgot Shambala smh

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I mean, I can appreciate wanting to see them realized one last time in Smash as we've seen characters like Banjo & Kazooie get absolutely beautiful returns to the spotlight... but whole revivals of entire games are tough and expensive. It'd be nice if we saw it more often with those IPs, but Nintendo rarely does it even with Smash pushing things. ARMS works a little better because its a brand new game that's still readily available and had only fallen off for a couple years, whereas something like Golden Sun or Sin & Punishment hasn't really been seen in a decade and it's a lot harder to make that relaunch a reality.
It would be expensive, but the potential to add more franchises to their main stays would be beneficial in the long run.

I'm totally with you conceptually, but I just don't know how realistic it is to expect Smash to be able to do this sort of thing very much (and let's see if ARMS manages to actually have any legs this time or not).
It would not be Smash bearing the focus of the franchises, but would just be a bonus for the revival. Nintendo advertising and boosting their smaller franchises into something bigger will take time and effort but will pay off in the long run if handled like Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem were.

Arthur97

Smash Master
As it is, they may want to actually work on the ones in Smash like F-Zero. Or, hey, completely revamp Ice Climbers into an adventure game. Not saying I'm opposed to Golden Sun (it's first or second party, I'll take it), but not everyone is a Marth or a Shulk.

And for Xenoblade's success, it doesn't seem to have been rewarded well in Smash, but either way, yeah, Shulk is a pretty big case for using Smash to turn a series around. Or, in that case, creating a series might be the case depending on the initial plans for X.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't expect we'll get any proper announcements tomorrow but we may get an announcement of an announcement.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As it is, they may want to actually work on the ones in Smash like F-Zero. Or, hey, completely revamp Ice Climbers into an adventure game. Not saying I'm opposed to Golden Sun (it's first or second party, I'll take it), but not everyone is a Marth or a Shulk.

And for Xenoblade's success, it doesn't seem to have been rewarded well in Smash, but either way, yeah, Shulk is a pretty big case for using Smash to turn a series around. Or, in that case, creating a series might be the case depending on the initial plans for X.
As long as F-Zero is dead with Miyamoto insisting that he has no ideas for it, it'd take :ultkrool: levels of support for that to happen.

As far as revivals go, I'm fine with Punch-Out's current position since 4, it got the best closure possible. You could say that his AT in Brawl (alongside his appearance in Captain Rainbow) helped to encourage the Wii game to happen.

In regards to Xenoblade, it's simply a matter of bad timing (as always), but at the very least Rex was clearly kept in mind, so he may become playable next time.

I don't expect we'll get any proper announcements tomorrow but we may get an announcement of an announcement.
Being familiar with the usual Pokémon->Direct/Smash pattern, I think we won't hear of anything until next week at the earliest. While there is a chance for another spirit event to happen, it didn't prevent the :ultbyleth: showcase.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So uh, with everything that's going on right now, is there a chance Nintendo might delay the Smash reveal? NoA did a PR tweet, but didn't say anything about delaying game announcements, yet. Sony has delayed talks about the PS5, and Capcom is going to refrain from posting game related stuff on their social media.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uh, with everything that's going on right now, is there a chance Nintendo might delay the Smash reveal? NoA did a PR tweet, but didn't say anything about delaying game announcements, yet. Sony has delayed talks about the PS5, and Capcom is going to refrain from posting game related stuff on their social media.
They’ll probably stay on schedule and do it on what would have been E3 week: next week

Arthur97

Smash Master
Punch Out could use a new game. It's been several years at this point.

And, yeah, the bad timing argument kind of lost credibility after both TH and the ARMS reveals. Not to mention we've had at least one fighter (Greninja) come from little more than concept material.

I'd say delays are fairly likely. If not on the reveals than on the actual releases which may result in the reveals being delayed.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1268082589560004608

In case it wasn't already obvious, seeing what Sak currently does is not the best way to determine who's coming next.

Punch Out could use a new game. It's been several years at this point.

And, yeah, the bad timing argument kind of lost credibility after both TH and the ARMS reveals. Not to mention we've had at least one fighter (Greninja) come from little more than concept material.

I'd say delays are fairly likely. If not on the reveals than on the actual releases which may result in the reveals being delayed.
I mean more in the sense of base game reveals/content that get affected by the current situation of a given series (e.g. WarioWare after the failure of Game & Wario). Sure, they could rectify the situation for DLC, but there's still like dozens of characters out there, there just isn't enough time and manpower to fit them all, and some compromises have to be made. No way of telling who will be prioritised over whom, and we'll never hear the reason, if any, why some omissions are made.

In the case of Golden Sun, fan demand for the series itself to come back is the next best thing, since we don't know what Camelot are doing nowadays.

Until further notice, Sakurai seems set on completing the pass, no matter what. We still have until December 2021 for FP2 to finish.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
But this was unforeseen, and he does still need his team. Things will probably be delayed. This kind of work isn't as easy to do from home as you might think. It takes some strong hardware to do this kind of thing which they very well may not have access to at home.

Yeah, there are plenty of characters that exist, but how many of them really have much claim to Smash? ARMS would be one, and it's getting its time in the sun, but the two other late to the party games getting repped would make it that much more of a slap to the face if it wasn't rectified.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But this was unforeseen, and he does still need his team. Things will probably be delayed. This kind of work isn't as easy to do from home as you might think. It takes some strong hardware to do this kind of thing which they very well may not have access to at home.

Yeah, there are plenty of characters that exist, but how many of them really have much claim to Smash? ARMS would be one, and it's getting its time in the sun, but the two other late to the party games getting repped would make it that much more of a slap to the face if it wasn't rectified.
In any case, I get the impression that, for some reason that can't be immediately deciphered, Sak went out of his way to apologize to Rex fans for the latter getting in as a Mii costume. Like he genuinely regrets missing the opportunity to give Xenoblade 2 some playable representation with an interesting gameplay concept. Whether Nintendo will grant him the chance to fix that, it remains to be seen.

Although one reason ARMS got in so readily is simply because the Switch doesn't have too many exclusive character-based IPs, in contrast to past consoles (even the Wii U).

In the meantime, it's best to stop talking and start training.

Last edited:
Top Bottom