• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Kinda stinks how there's more pessimism and tension in the air than there is excitement and hype for this ARMS character. I've been just as impatient as everyone else, but it's been an excited sort of impatient. This is has been giving me something to look forward to. Everyone else seems...frustrated, I guess?

I dunno. I guess I wish more people didn't have this, "Hurry up and get it over with!" attitude.
I think there’s multiple reasons why I think people are pessimistic.
1. Time. A 3 month debate with basically the same characters said over and over
2. ARMS as a game. Some did not enjoy ARMS and want to move on, others view it as “unworthy” because it wasn’t who they wanted

Personally, I am a bit fatigued over “Guess Who: ARMS edition” but excited to see who got selected.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
It hits people in different ways. For me game-wise it has been relatively quiet for weeks due to not caring about clubhouse games or xenoblade DE, so the hope was that there would be a smash character in June to focus on for my entertainment. Smash was my June game.

instead we got nothing but extremely slow weeks for what would have originally been E3, and with zero hope of anything interesting in the horizon. Now that it’s at the point where they pretty much just waited until the end of June my excitement is exhausted and I just want to be done with it.

At the least I would have appreciated acknowledgement that it’s coming up late in June, like how Pokémon did it. Then at least I wouldn’t be waiting every day for something to happen. The execution has just been terrible all around.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There's a difference between having trouble with marketing due to COVID and just dropping out most marketing plans.

Because at this point, even if most likely untrue, I'm seriously thinking all Nintendo had for E3 was Origami King.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
There's a difference between having trouble with marketing due to COVID and just dropping out most marketing plans.

Because at this point, even if most likely untrue, I'm seriously thinking all Nintendo had for E3 was Origami King.
TBH I feel the big announcement was gonna be the Mario remasters. Those are probably gonna be the big holiday product.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It hits people in different ways. For me game-wise it has been relatively quiet for weeks due to not caring about clubhouse games or xenoblade DE, so the hope was that there would be a smash character in June to focus on for my entertainment. Smash was my June game.

instead we got nothing but extremely slow weeks for what would have originally been E3, and with zero hope of anything interesting in the horizon. Now that it’s at the point where they pretty much just waited until the end of June my excitement is exhausted and I just want to be done with it.

At the least I would have appreciated acknowledgement that it’s coming up late in June, like how Pokémon did it. Then at least I wouldn’t be waiting every day for something to happen. The execution has just been terrible all around.
Relying on a single fighting game character to carry you through a month feels kind of silly. The actual content a fighter comes with is brief and fleeting, and the days shortly following a release can prove repetitive with the surge of players testing the new fighter. They work better in the long term, occasional use.

Even without active releases by Nintendo, the Switch has tons of great indies to look into.

The only title close to release, maybe. E3 directs tend to be more far-reaching in release dates than the average direct.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I've supported an ARMS rep since it was revealed back in January 2017, and am psyched to see it join the battle!

As for the when, I don't expect it to be in June, because they would've done it by now, since these kinds of presentations tend to take place earlier in the month, and we have TWO WEEKS of Pokemon directs in a row, which I don't see them having ARMS/Smash compete with. Hopefully they don't shadow drop it, because I really don't want the character to be spoiled.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
TBH I feel the big announcement was gonna be the Mario remasters. Those are probably gonna be the big holiday product.
I guess that makes sense... which would mean Origami King was the only NEW game they had in store?

Despite all the years of not seeing Bayo 3 or the fact that BotW2 is also a thing?

Then again, Super Mario Bros. is 35 this year, so I guess it makes sense to only care about Mario for the big event.

As for the when, I don't expect it to be in June, because they would've done it by now, since these kinds of presentations tend to take place earlier in the month, and we have TWO WEEKS of Pokemon directs in a row, which I don't see them having ARMS/Smash compete with. Hopefully they don't shadow drop it, because I really don't want the character to be spoiled.
If it was delayed, either Nintendo or Sakurai would've said it by now because if there's anything worse than a delay, it's a delay that no one is ever told about.

Delays are also pretty much the only thing Nintendo is ever transparent about, so... yeah, I think it's still June.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Relying on a single fighting game character to carry you through a month feels kind of silly. The actual content a fighter comes with is brief and fleeting, and the days shortly following a release can prove repetitive with the surge of players testing the new fighter. They work better in the long term, occasional use.

Even without active releases by Nintendo, the Switch has tons of great indies to look into.
Perhaps the way I interact with smash DLC content is different from yours.
For example, when byleth came out I played her every night for about two to three weeks to learn the character and pull her out in tourneys.

what’s silly to me is that you aim to tell people online that how they expect to use their time is silly because they could just do other things. No ****ing **** man, of course there is always something else to do and a billion other games to play, but that adds nothing to this conversation.
If you tell someone their paid for meal is coming up before closing and it’s ten minutes before closing, there is reason for the person waiting to be annoyed that it’s still not there. Coming along and telling that person that they could just have gone to another restaurant is a ****ty way to contribute to a ****ty mood.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think there’s multiple reasons why I think people are pessimistic.
1. Time. A 3 month debate with basically the same characters said over and over
2. ARMS as a game. Some did not enjoy ARMS and want to move on, others view it as “unworthy” because it wasn’t who they wanted

Personally, I am a bit fatigued over “Guess Who: ARMS edition” but excited to see who got selected.
There's also the deal with what it means for the rest of the pass. ATs are okay? Just spirits? Will the ARMS rep just be a special exception?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping we don't have to debate the identity of the ARMS fighter for too much longer

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I understand the frustation about it, keep in mind that we are waiting for it some months (due to the pandemic it can even be worse for some people) and we are running out of time while other Nintendo news pops up. And now, more PKMN stuff is confirmed for the next week, even less space for Smash. It's a strange situation, normally reveals aren't so anticipated, we used to wait announcements with fair dates or guessing if a Direct was possible. The longer periods awaiting were the release or presentation of fighters which already know, like Banjo-Kazooie, Joker or Terry. We know that something is coming but not so much, we got expectation and doubts which lead to some frustation. Maybe they streched the dates too much but it almost done.
And it's true, videogames, Smash in particular, are important to us, but truly, this frustation is a problem which can be easily solved, my advice is try to focus in something different: hobbies, series, reading... I dunno, Netflix launch new stuff every day. Just try to keep yourself busy and happy and days will fly.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I know tensions are high but imagine how much worse things would have been if Nintendo said nothing. It's actually a good thing they told us the fighter was from ARMS. I can only imagine the insanity if we were in the dark all this time!

Staarih

Smash Master
I know tensions are high but imagine how much worse things would have been if Nintendo said nothing. It's actually a good thing they told us the fighter was from ARMS. I can only imagine the insanity if we were in the dark all this time!
Indeed, seeing how lukewarm the reception to the initial ARMS-reveal was, to have been in the dark until now for it to ”only be someone from ARMS” would’ve been quite a show. At least now we sort of know what to expect, and it’s just a matter of when the info will drop.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
The Smash team's hard at work implementing all the clown physics for Lola Pop's inevitable inclusion.
That's why it's taking so long.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

There was no way Origami King was Nintendo's only planned E3 showing. I agree with MooMew64 MooMew64 that Nintendo's big announcement at this year's E3 was going to be the Mario remasters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it's been an eventful week already, one way or another.

Let's see if we get a anything else before Saturday comes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
anyone else started dreaming about the arms reveal?
No but I did have a similar dream about a Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe 2 with Geralt from The Witcher guest starring.
Namely a fight sequence where Martian Manhunter and Geralt fight Scorpion and Superman under Shan Tsun's mind control.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No but I did have a similar dream about a Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe 2 with Geralt from The Witcher guest starring.
Namely a fight sequence where Martian Manhunter and Geralt fight Scorpion and Superman under Shan Tsun's mind control.
What even IS the deal with Geralt? Is he eligible for video game crossovers? Because apparently the original writer filed a lawsuit because he appeared in SoulCaliber 6.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What even IS the deal with Geralt? Is he eligible for video game crossovers? Because apparently the original writer filed a lawsuit because he appeared in SoulCaliber 6.
Well if Darth Vader could be in Soul Calibur 4, Geralt is the least of it.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Nah, that didn't happen at all lmao. The writer of the Witcher books, Andrzej Sapkowski, tried to sue CD Projekt Red because he felt like he got a bad deal back in the day when he sold the rights of his world and characters for less than £10,000. CD Projekt Red has gone on to find huge success creating a trilogy of Witcher titles and spin-offs like Gwent, so Sapkowski felt like he could've gone for more. Yes, stupid, I know...

Sapkowski filed a lawsuit to obtain $16m in royalties. But that lawsuit got settled pretty quickly between them last year and they've struck a new licensing agreement. They're on good terms now however. It had nothing to do with Soul Calibur 6.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nah, that didn't happen at all lmao. The writer of the Witcher books, Andrzej Sapkowski, tried to sue CD Projekt Red because he felt like he got a bad deal back in the day when he sold the rights of his world and characters for less than £10,000. CD Projekt Red has gone on to find huge success creating a trilogy of Witcher titles and spin-offs like Gwent, so Sapkowski felt like he could've gone for more. Yes, stupid, I know...

Sapkowski filed a lawsuit to obtain $16m in royalties. But that lawsuit got settled pretty quickly between them last year and they've struck a new licensing agreement. They're on good terms now however. It had nothing to do with Soul Calibur 6.
Oh, sorry about that. I remember someone mentioning it in a discussion about Soul Caliber 6, and thought it was related.

Though if you mind me asking, what was the new agreement? I know there are people who think he has a chance to appear in Smash, but given the whole "based on a book series" thing, I've never been sure if that was possible...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh, sorry about that. I remember someone mentioning it in a discussion about Soul Caliber 6, and thought it was related.

Though if you mind me asking, what was the new agreement? I know there are people who think he has a chance to appear in Smash, but given the whole "based on a book series" thing, I've never been sure if that was possible...
Depends on Sakurai and Nintendo honestly.
I mean Dracula is one of the most famous characters in literature but his Castlevania version is different enough to be considered his own thing and therefore a boss in Smash. Game Geralt is a pretty different character from the book version but I don't know if they'll count that.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Depends on Sakurai and Nintendo honestly.
I mean Dracula is one of the most famous characters in literature but his Castlevania version is different enough to be considered his own thing and therefore a boss in Smash. Game Geralt is a pretty different character from the book version but I don't know if they'll count that.
Right, but the difference is that Dracula's a public domain story, and The Witcher isn't.

That means Dracula has more flexibility in terms of portrayal. Hell, Nintendo could make their own Dracula if they wanted. The Witcher, however, doesn't have that luxury. Nintendo would have to pay the Witcher author and CD Projekt Red for getting the Witcher in Smash, which would be friggin' expensive even when compared to the SE content in Smash.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

The new agreement now gives him a share of the profits that come from the Witcher Video Game IP. We don't know the exact share, but we do know that it doesn't only apply to the video games, but also the the graphic novels and merchandise based on it.

That means that a share of the profits for CDPR in Geralt's DLC pack will have to go to the original author if Geralt were to ever come to Smash (which would honestly be amazing in my opinion). No clue if this is too big of a deal for Nintendo, but I'm fairly sure that CDPR will have to deal with that side of things, seeing that they will have to share their own share of the profits from the pack with the author.

The biggest hindrance for Geralt seems to just be the fact that he originated in Europe, which makes communication harder, and the fact that he isn't even an original video game character to begin with.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The biggest hindrance for Geralt seems to just be the fact that he originated in Europe, which makes communication harder, and the fact that he isn't even an original video game character to begin with.
Didn't Banjo & Kazooie originate in Britain, though? Just curious. Because on one hand, it's still hard communication, but on the other hand, they're in Smash already regardless.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Didn't Banjo & Kazooie originate in Britain, though? Just curious. Because on one hand, it's still hard communication, but on the other hand, they're in Smash already regardless.
He's from Britain, and Nintendo had to communicate with an Amercian company to settle things on top of the British one.

If anything, Geralt would actually be simpler than Banjo when it comes to communications.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
You know what, I just remembered the fact that CDPR uses a 32GB Switch Cartridge for the Switch port of the Witcher 3, which makes me think there was some heavy collaboration between CDPR and Nintendo to achieve that. The way Nintendo pushed the Witcher 3 port during E3 and other promotional events makes me think that way too. so yeah, they've definitely met and communicated before for this partnership. So yeah, nevermind, communication would be easier than I made it out to be.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Here's a Youtube video discussing the ARMS character rigs that I mentioned a month ago, and speculating on which characters we might see. It basically agrees with everything I said then, but goes into alot more detail.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm still holding out for a special amiibo that features movable arms like the Guardian amiibo from Zelda.

You could do so many cool poses with fully extended arms that move.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
anyone else started dreaming about the arms reveal?
No but I had one where Meryl from MGS was the 4th Konami rep. Why? I don't know.

That game really does need a sequel.

Top Bottom