• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, IMDB is fan edited so if it doesn't list sources it's about as credible as Wikipedia is...when they don't list sources.

Semi-confirmed has to be inferred from official material, not just out of the blue.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
And that's why I asked. I never use IMBD, so I don't know where they get their sources.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
Heres a scary tidbit from wiki

"Sakurai has stated that some of the characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee may not return. He also states that he may not want to put much emphasis on Japan-only characters, but is not opposed to them entirely, noting the success that the Fire Emblem characters enjoyed internationally thanks to their inclusion in Melee. He also said that third party characters will tentatively amount to one or two, excluding Snake.[24]

In August 2006, Sakurai and Miyamoto stated that Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog was the most requested third-party character to be included.[25] Around the same period of time, Tips & Tricks reported that Miyamoto has stated Nintendo has actually contacted Sega regarding this, and that they're awaiting a final decision.[26] Then, in the October 2006 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, he mentioned that "Sega's hedgehog would be the perfect addition to Brawl's cast." An article in the first issue of a Swedish Nintendo Magazine named "+N" makes a report that the aforementioned characters will be in Brawl, along with Sonic the Hedgehog as a playable character
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSBB was fetched from here its the last 2 paragraphs at the bottom

im sorry but sonic eh...most i can look forward to is wrecking sonic with Ganondorf

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Chrono. Or Arthur. Or Simon Belmont. There are a ton of 3rd party characters that people would LOVE to see, so it's hard to choose just one. Sonic is just the most obvoius choice, but I hope they make the last one a nice retro chracter, or one that people have loved for a long, long time. Like Chrono!

Stryks

Smash Hero
*CoughMegamanCough*...
Anyway of all the 3rd party suggestions/choices, gotta say Sonic has the best chance, that a no brainer, and the 2nd I say megaman, hes the 2nd most requested (he is rite?) and well, with all the moves from his games, not to mmention moves from MvC, a moveset could be quite easy to make, not to mention sakurai likes old school games, what better old school game than original megaman?... I just wish they can show us a new trailer soon, so they can at least confirmed sonic... or something...

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Honestly..........I don't really want Megaman in the game. I think it's mainly because there are cooler 3rd party characters that could be in instead. Or it could be that I just don't see him brawling very well. Or maybe that flash version of SSB ruined MM for me. But whatever the reason, I'd rather not see Megaman in Brawl.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Then most people are idiots. Shadow didn't come out till long after the SNES, and that's what I would consider the line for retro. In fact, I'm pretty sure his first game was on the Xbox, and that is definately not retro.

So next time you see someone claim Shadow is retro, smack him......Hard.

Sensai

Smash Master
Don't believe that IMDB site, nor should you believe Wikipedia for the addition of new characters. While I don't agree with Zink (Wikipedia is not always incorrect), it's more of a place to start gathering general information, not a place to get cold hard facts.

The fact is that Sonic DID appear in a magazine, but it doesn't mean he was confirmed.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
We all know how the press loves to rumor. National Enquirer, anyone? I would regard Sonic's appearance in the swedish magazine as right up there with "Holy Grail found" and "Baby born with antlers".

T-major

Smash Champion
Honestly..........I don't really want Megaman in the game. I think it's mainly because there are cooler 3rd party characters that could be in instead. Or it could be that I just don't see him brawling very well. Or maybe that flash version of SSB ruined MM for me. But whatever the reason, I'd rather not see Megaman in Brawl.
Mwgaman is a very likely candadate. he's incredably recognisable, important to videogames, and his moves would be easy to come up with. I personaly, would like to see him in, but I would love to see Simon Belmont WAY more then MM.

on thie topic of Sonic. I didn't wan't him in at first, but then I saw the Sonic CD intro and that changed my mind.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Scav said:
Please keep this discussion to confirmed characters only. Talk about whatever you want... possible moves, how awesome they look with new graphics, links to articles confirming new characters, etc. Just don't talk about non-confirmed characters!
Wario is a pimp...

Stryks

Smash Hero
Most ppl define the word RETRO with these chars Sonic (already mentioned), Shadow, Megaman, Zero, and Grey Fox.

Woah wait... shadow and zero are retro, and link, samus and mario arent? how in the world does that makes sense?... shadow was introduced in a GBA game, or am i wrong? (seriously dont know), all the retro characters are from the NES-SNES era, all of those creqated afterwards need a few more years to be considred retro...

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
I WOULD LOVE MEGAMAN to be here, but i highyl doubt it because of sonics popularity!

Whats happened to the rule of not talking about unconfirmed characters!?!?!?!?!?

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
lolol how about for the pure fact that it would be a cheap mimic of a certain character thats already been in Smash from the beginning...hmm what other character has a gun for an arm already?

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
lolol how about for the pure fact that it would be a cheap mimic of a certain character thats already been in Smash from the beginning...hmm what other character has a gun for an arm already?
Hmm no one had a problem with clones in melee:dizzy:

Bombco101

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people had problems with clones in melee. Now if they made the different costumes replace the melee clones, it may fix the problem. Then give each of the clones their own moveset. (I still think that Doc. should be an alternate Mario costume.)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Shadow's first appearance was Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast. Metroid came out over a year before Megaman. As debated a lot in The Official "Megaman in SSBB" Topic!, Megaman and Samus have the potential to be pretty different which everyone should have realised when they played both of their games.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
@ Riot

having one weapon similar does not make them clones (mega man & samus), thats like sayin marth and link will be clones cuz they both have swords. c'mon people, either use your brains or play thier games to see that they're different

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
@ Riot

having one weapon similar does not make them clones (mega man & samus), thats like sayin marth and link will be clones cuz they both have swords. c'mon people, either use your brains or play thier games to see that they're different
so your telling me megaman wouldnt have something just like samus's "Big Blast" his move set wouldnt be interesting unless they gave him the abilities of his fallen foes from previous games but i dont see pressing Down + B and all of a sudden hes shooting boomerrang like scissors at people like cutman
lolol suck me he'd blow.

T-major

Smash Champion
so your telling me megaman wouldnt have something just like samus's "Big Blast" his move set wouldnt be interesting unless they gave him the abilities of his fallen foes from previous games but i dont see pressing Down + B and all of a sudden hes shooting boomerrang like scissors at people like cutman
lolol suck me he'd blow.
I laugh at the fact that you've never played a Megaman game. because if you had, you would know that he would be completly different from Samus in almost every way.

Megaman's buster would be capable of weak rapid fire shots that have no stun (like Fox's laser), but he would be able to charge it up for a stronger attack. also he would be able to move and jump while shooting and charging (the charge can't be held. you will fire the shot when you release the charge button) . that alone would make MM's buster extremly differnt from Samus power beam.

T-major

Smash Champion
There's the possibility of Zero-style Z-sword, boomerang sheild, etc as well as the copied abilities.
I think they should use Classic Megaman's design, then base his move set off of all the megaman games. like moves that were in Megaman X, and maybe a beam sword smash attack based off battle network (or what ever it's called). he has so many games with different moves, taking moves from several different games would be the best way to do it in my opinion.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Most ppl define the word RETRO with these chars Sonic (already mentioned), Shadow, Megaman, Zero, and Grey Fox.
What in the world are you talking about? The only people on that list who are retro are Sonic and Megaman. Retro generally refers to SNES/Genesis and anything prior (the systems that were primarily 2D, remember that the word retro means old fashioned/classic) Pong for example, is one of the most retro games of all.

Shadow was introduced in a GAMECUBE game, and Zero and Grey Fox in a Plastation game. Both Playstation and Gamecube are 3D consoles, so anything on them (save for collections of older games) cannot be retro.

Stryks

Smash Hero
lolol suck me he'd blow.
Seriously u gotta be kiddin, Megaman adn samus WILL NEVER BE CLONES!!

fact are the Attacks:
megaman cant do screw attack
"" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" morph ball
he can move while charging

samus cant copy abilities
samus cant change her canon into a hand
samus (at least in smash) cant move while charging

also note that memagamn is a guy while samus is a woman, they will pretty much have similarities in the buster, thats it, for his speacil he can use the astro crush (think thats the name for the giga crush-like attack in MM8), not to mention leaf shield for downB, copy ability for <>B, buster upeprcut for upB, flame sword for Fsmash... the possibilities are endless...

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
What in the world are you talking about? The only people on that list who are retro are Sonic and Megaman. Retro generally refers to SNES/Genesis and anything prior (the systems that were primarily 2D, remember that the word retro means old fashioned/classic) Pong for example, is one of the most retro games of all.

Shadow was introduced in a GAMECUBE game, and Zero and Grey Fox in a Plastation game. Both Playstation and Gamecube are 3D consoles, so anything on them (save for collections of older games) cannot be retro.
Correction!!!!!!! Shadow was introduce since the dream cast, zero was introduced in snes but i guess 3 out of 5 ain't bad.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Correction!!!!!!! Shadow was introduce since the dream cast, zero was introduced in snes but i guess 3 out of 5 ain't bad.
lol i meant dreamcast, i never got a chance to buy it so I got the Gamecube version w/ Battle mode. Although, I didn't know that Zero was on SNES. Still, there were like 6 megaman games before him on NES, so I still feel like he shouldn't be called retro.

my bad though ^_^

Sensai

Smash Master

This thread is dissapointing all of a sudden. So, for ****s and giggles (as well as to make an incredibly valid point), I want everyone who's played the SNES's Mega Man X to make it obvious that they've done so, by doing this:

/raises hand

I'm pretty sure that this EXTENSIVE research will find those that have played MMX realize that MM would certainly not be a clone of Samus. Sure, there's a possibility, but as someone earlier said, Link and Marth have similarities, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom