• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
MGS: Twin Snakes just takes a bunch of stuff from MGS2 (IE the tranquilizer, hanging from rails, first person view, hiding in lockers, that kind of stuff). It does have some over the top cutscenes that have some bullet time shots and some super human stuff. Some of the voices are different, too, which some people didn't like. But, all in all, it's still a really good game. I liked MGS3 the best but you should still play all three of them. Since you haven't been following them, you might actually like MGS2 (which is just as awesome as the first).

Sensai probably means Pit or Meta Knight as the broken character. Their fast dodges and quick attacks may make them hard to beat and if some tourneytard loses to them pretty badly early on they may very well be banned for a while. However, I never saw Pit use an attack with much knock back and Meta Knight didn't do anything better though, without seeing the percentages, it's hard to tell. But, perhaps Pit and/or Meta Knight end up like how Sheik was supposed to be and have very little knockback.

And I'm sure Sora and The Studio have/are researcheding how people play. There's this interview that was done with Mr. Sakurai after he left HAL about how he believes that developers are too distanced with the consumers and, well, this was evident in the poll that was done to see what characters and music and other stuff people wanted. So, I'm sure wave dashing is being taken into consideration; whether it's being left alone, moderated like lag cancelling was, or being removed, something this pivotal to the way people smash now won't just be shrugged off. They probably spent hours looking at it already. They're probably more on top of the game than we are.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
However, I never saw Pit use an attack with much knock back and Meta Knight didn't do anything better though, without seeing the percentages, it's hard to tell. But, perhaps Pit and/or Meta Knight end up like how Sheik was supposed to be and have very little knockback.
I will follow your advice and check out MGS2 if you believe it is the best. Also, havn't we discovered already that giving attacks very little knockback makes them amazing when it comes to comboing? Especially SHFFLing, but such might no longer be within the realm of possibility. Unless the character's are uber weak(Roy's Bair and Dair) then they can be used to combo the crap out of unsespecting opponents, and resultantly be broken.

They probably spent hours looking at it already. They're probably more on top of the game than we are.
One would hope so, after all they are creating the game!

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Just because nobody else is going to address this: There is absolutely nothing special about the GC version of MGS. (If you were talking about TP, than ignore this... I haven't played it yet ^-^)

Twin Snakes (the GC version) was just a remake of MGS1 on the PS1. Yeah it looked all pretty and played very similarly to MGS2... but the controls were quite ****ty, and all the added movie sequences overdramatized the story line. No MGS game can be played without pressure sensative buttons... not if they are to play like MGS2 and 3.

My suggestion, play them on the PS2. Just make sure you play through MGS1... I know the downside to playing it on the PS1 is that you don't get a first person view and sometimes it's just difficult to tell what the hell is going on because of the graphics... but hey it's better than not being able to control your character at all.

EDIT: DAMMIT Devastlian it just took me too long to type this (and I had the window open for a little while...)

D: lol, beating me to everything these days... ;p

Sensai

Smash Master
Rhyme, I knew you were being sarcastic. I was just jokin' along.

And when I said that thing about the banned character, I didn't really mean anyone in particular. I was just saying that with a new game comes a huge list of bugs and things that will be exploited, thus allowing one or two characters to shine (PUN) above the rest.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
My suggestion, play them on the PS2. Just make sure you play through MGS1... I know the downside to playing it on the PS1 is that you don't get a first person view and sometimes it's just difficult to tell what the hell is going on because of the graphics... but hey it's better than not being able to control your character at all.
You suggest playing on the PS2, then say that you can't control your character on the PS2 and can on the PS1? I'll just start with the PS2 because I know my system is mostly operational and I have all the necessary wires.

The internet is full of rampant spoilers now for me and Ipslne.:laugh:

Rhyme, I knew you were being sarcastic. I was just jokin' along.

And when I said that thing about the banned character, I didn't really mean anyone in particular. I was just saying that with a new game comes a huge list of bugs and things that will be exploited, thus allowing one or two characters to shine (PUN) above the rest.
Like I said, I suck at internet sarcaism.:embarrass You like puns, don't you? It will still take at least a year before we figure out what can be profitably exploited.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
MGS3 is my favourite actually, it just has this feel to it. But you should definately check out the other two if you like the first one you play.

I don't really think we can judge a character being broken or not yet at least until we see all their moves and see actual, unstaged gameplay. Hell, they could do something crazy like make it so some characters can't fast fall or you can't move your air dodge or lag cancelling sends you rolling backwards or they could reverse the relation of traction and wave dashing distance. It's really up in the air. They probably just took the SmashBoards or GameFaqs list of advanced techniques and did a whole set of meetings on them, picking them apart one by one. "Oh, land slide special? Let's half the current distance for the medium and light tractioned characters and double it for the heavy characters. Lag cancelling? Let's bump it up to 3/4ths of the lag cancelled but it sends them rolling backwards 3/4ths their dodge roll distance." (I just did that at random.) It's definately highly probable that they looked at all this. Maybe we'll see just power shielding and smash charging removed? (That's all I want...<.<) Maybe everything will remain but tweaked to death? Or balanced in consideration to every single character? Well, I'm gonna stop running my mouth but I'm sure they know what they're doing. More than most people here and sure as hell more than me. ;)

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
LOL Rhyme you misunderstood. I was saying the controls suck on the Game Cube version, so play the PS1 version (which you could on your PS2 as well) and then move on to it's respective sequals.

If you can't stand the way the PS1 version looks, you may as well play Twin Snakes to at least get the story line (however over-exaggerated it is on the Cube).

I think that made sense?

And I'd have to agree with Devastlian... MGS3 for sure a winner it is. que?

And how did Confirmed Character Discussion move on to "Possible Advanced Techniques for Brawl"

T-major

Smash Champion
LOL Rhyme you misunderstood. I was saying the controls suck on the Game Cube version, so play the PS1 version (which you could on your PS2 as well) and then move on to it's respective sequals.

If you can't stand the way the PS1 version looks, you may as well play Twin Snakes to at least get the story line (however over-exaggerated it is on the Cube).

I think that made sense?

And I'd have to agree with Devastlian... MGS3 for sure a winner it is. que?

And how did Confirmed Character Discussion move on to "Possible Advanced Techniques for Brawl"
the controls were fine on the gamecube MGS (granted, I havn't play the original... yet).

as for how the topic changed... well, it was because someone brought up Metaknight and Pit's quick dodge thing, and labled it as a replacment to WD. I then said that it was just a dodge roll that happend to be fast. someone then said that it would be unbalenced and I asked them why. after they explaned why, they then supported their belief that it was a WD replacment, which was followed by people talking about why they wouldn't remove wave dash because people are used to it and... ect. ect.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Ah I see. This is what I get for not checking up in a few days.

And I'm not saying the controls of Twin Snakes sucked compared to the original, but compared to MGS2 (because that's what the style of gameplay was based on). The problem is the lack of pressure sensative buttons, so you have to use button combinations just to keep your gun up... not to mention the sort of "clicky" z button they want you to use for first-person aiming. It's just not quite as sensative as the PS2 controllers, which I would find ideal for a game like that.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I was just elaborating on how there is just too little info for us to be trying to figure out how inherently good a character is due to all the possible tweaks they could implement.

New topic, then...That move that Pit does in the little montage-y thing at the end, the sort of horizontal spin, what move is that? Is it his forward smash? It looks like a combo-y move.

Sensai

Smash Master
I enjoy the PS1 version, thank you very much. And we're all Nintendo fanboys (or girls): the graphics aren't terribly important to us. Play the original one, if for nothing else but a feeling of authenticity.

And I have no idea what any of the moves are in the trailers, as I haven't seen any of them in a while, nor am I making the game.

How long 'til they show us a new one, anyways?

T-major

Smash Champion
I was just elaborating on how there is just too little info for us to be trying to figure out how inherently good a character is due to all the possible tweaks they could implement.

New topic, then...That move that Pit does in the little montage-y thing at the end, the sort of horizontal spin, what move is that? Is it his forward smash? It looks like a combo-y move.
I agree. we can't say anything about how the game will turn out because we have hardly no information to go by. all the characters we think are good (or will be good) now based on the videos, is nothing but hopeful thinking. personaly, I like Metaknight because I love Kirby characters (rooting for DeDeDe in Brawl), so even if he turns out worse then I expected I'll probably still use him. but from what I've seen most people say things like "this guy should be in because he would be a good character" you don't know that... so quite you!

as for Pit's move... thought to say. it looks "combo-y" as you call it, so I don't think it would be a smash attack. I think it's his neutral A attack when he has his swords together (as aposed to the two daggers).

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, Meta Knight seemingly uses a multihit foward tilt which, unless you could C. Falcon and Samus' upward tilt (which is just an axe kick done in two motions), hasn't been done before (a multihit tilt, that is). I don't think Pit switches between his dual blades and his swallow fighting and has a seperate attack set for both; he just seems to have them together for some attacks and apart for the rest.

Also, Kirby characters FTW.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well, Meta Knight seemingly uses a multihit foward tilt which, unless you could C. Falcon and Samus' upward tilt (which is just an axe kick done in two motions), hasn't been done before (a multihit tilt, that is). I don't think Pit switches between his dual blades and his swallow fighting and has a seperate attack set for both; he just seems to have them together for some attacks and apart for the rest.

Also, Kirby characters FTW.
Bowser's Dtilt hits twice, all IC's tilts hit multiple times(Utilt is 4 i think), and Shiek's Utilt hits twice. Just to answer your question about no other tilts having multiple hitboxes.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Oh yeah...Well, forget the first sentence then...I meant attacks being multiple "swings" and forgot about Bowser's and Sheik's. I guess four characters doesn't make it very unique. ; ;

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So am I the only guy who hasn't playing any MGS game to the end? I never had my own MGS and I only got my PS2 in 2006 so I guess I'm excused *runs away before people find out he's not from earth :urg*

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
Big Boss and Solid Snake both have love for the box! Although, I think Snake is dropping the box for the Barrell in MGS4.

MGS:TTS for the GC is a great game, but is usually looked down upon by the hardkore fans of the series because of voice acting and the over the top style (which are both opinion things when it comes down to it). Gameplay-wise, it does add a lot to the original MGS , and it makes the game easier in general. The graphics also updated, which is always a plus!

I love all the MG games, but be on the look out when you play MGS2; the plot gets really confusing if you don't follow it (took me 2 play throughs to fully understand the plot, but its really cool when you think about how Raiden is like the player...)

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Hahahaha, yeah... MGS3 had a lot of rather amusing radio conversations. Try wearing the "naked" camo and "naked" face-paint and talking to sigint. Snake starts complaining that he cant take off his pants.

Or eat a glow mushroom... and then call Para Medic... enjoyable conversation ensues.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
and there you have it! if Snake dosn't have the box, he won't be at inner peace. which would decrease his fighting potential because of stress buildup.
Well, luckily enough for us(and him), Snake gets to keep his precious box. You know something, for years I have spelt original "origional". Not exactly sure why, or why I found this out tonight, but I have learned the error of my ways, and learning is the first step on the path of understanding.

Hahahaha, yeah... MGS3 had a lot of rather amusing radio conversations. Try wearing the "naked" camo and "naked" face-paint and talking to sigint. Snake starts complaining that he cant take off his pants.

Or eat a glow mushroom... and then call Para Medic... enjoyable conversation ensues.
Naked face-paint? Is describing the circumstances a spoiler?

Cheers! For being the only person on Smashboards with an actual location. Here we all thought we were being original...with our whitty comebacks...

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
It did, I was thinking the same thing, I can see people in tournaments now...

Zamus player: Nooooooo I lost! Ahhhhh
Pit player: Haha I beat you with my lucky default coloured Pit! HAZZAH!!
Zamus player: If I had my skin coloured ZS Samus I'd whop yo' *** boi!
For some reason I only perform my best with a particular color as well. Yeah, I know it just doesn't add up, but for some unknown reason I can only give a peak performance in Falco's white outfit, Link's white tunic, & Falcon's green costume. That's just me! Urgh, I really have to break this habit....

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
lol, the naked face paint is pretty much "no paint" and is practically useless in the context of the game. As well as the "naked" camo. Unless anyone knows of any other context it make be useful in?

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Hmmm...Just a thought, has anyone seen Snake's super move yet? I have no clue of what it's gonna be. Also, that funny box that he's famous for, I call it just plain hilarious, not tactical espoinage! Heh heh!

T-major

Smash Champion
lol, the naked face paint is pretty much "no paint" and is practically useless in the context of the game. As well as the "naked" camo. Unless anyone knows of any other context it make be useful in?

well, the "naked" face paint and camo could be used to add more of a challenge to the game. since it makes you easier to find... other then that, I don't think it's good for anything.

speaking of useless things in MGS, does anyone know what the cigarettes do? there in every game, but I've never know the purpose of them (except in MGS3, where you could use the cigar as a torch), except to make your health go down. maybe their just there to make the game harder to... hmmm...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
speaking of useless things in MGS, does anyone know what the cigarettes do? there in every game, but I've never know the purpose of them (except in MGS3, where you could use the cigar as a torch), except to make your health go down. maybe their just there to make the game harder to... hmmm...
They steady your hands when you use a sniper rifle.

It's weird that the super moves weren't in the second trailer. Maybe they're being revamped or even removed? Who knows...maybe they were deemed to awkward and overpowered like in Mario Tennis on the GCN? Hopefully the main site'll get an update soon.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986

well, the "naked" face paint and camo could be used to add more of a challenge to the game. since it makes you easier to find... other then that, I don't think it's good for anything.

The cigarettes are just for comic relief. Nothing more. Now that you mention it, Snake is a bad influence to the younger folk cause he smokes. That's called subiminal advertising. However, him smokin a cigarette does not make me want to go get one because I don't want lung cancer. Other than that, Snake's cool in my book.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the ciggs also make infared lasers visible.

I think the 2nd one was more of a gameplay trailer, and maybe they haven't actually made the moves gameplay ready.

T-major

Smash Champion
They steady your hands when you use a sniper rifle.

It's weird that the super moves weren't in the second trailer. Maybe they're being revamped or even removed? Who knows...maybe they were deemed to awkward and overpowered like in Mario Tennis on the GCN? Hopefully the main site'll get an update soon.
oh. well I wished I'd know that in MGS2

and I kind of though that the Super moves were just put in the first video to make it look snazzy. I mean most (if not all) of them were cinimatics. I'm sure Sakurai will lets us know whats going down with them eventualy.

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
The cigarettes are just for comic relief. Nothing more. Now that you mention it, Snake is a bad influence to the younger folk cause he smokes. That's called subiminal advertising. However, him smokin a cigarette does not make me want to go get one because I don't want lung cancer. Other than that, Snake's cool in my book.
Nintendo wasn't thinking at the time if snake was a bad influence or not they just like how it sound (This Games Winner IS............SNAKE!!!!! think of the sound when snake came out of the box in and he said showtime!)

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
They aren't even going to let snake use any real-like guns (and if Samus gets rockets, why not Snake?).

If you're worried about Snake being a bad influence, don't let your kid play this game. But wait, you probably already bought them Halo... you already lose at parenting.

Sensai

Smash Master
Snake has a rocket launcher already....

And I'm desperately waiting for any type of update, also. If they're planning on releasing it before Xmas, they should be slowing starting to drop us some info.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I think I heard somewhere where they were gonna show new info on either january or on the 1st quarter of the year, but seriuosly, im tired of watching the 2 trailers over and over, like im hoping to see a new character by some act of god appear on the old trailers, if sakurai IS gonna show us the roster b4 the game is released (he said so, cause the internet would just reveal the chaacter in a matter of dasy, thus there will be surprise) in trailers, then start showing!...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom