• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ah blast! I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you kids and your stupid pup!

I guess I just misread it, sorry. Sorry sorry sorry.../breaks down in tears

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
I didn't want to read through 121 pages because I just recently joined this site but...

I'm interested in hearing more about Samus. Will it JUST be Zero Suit or can she spawn donned in her original SSBM gear?

Argent90

Smash Cadet
I didn't want to read through 121 pages because I just recently joined this site but...

I'm interested in hearing more about Samus. Will it JUST be Zero Suit or can she spawn donned in her original SSBM gear?
I think itz gonna be both

but they might go the same way they did zelda though...

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I still think it's a lose-lose situation, here's what we have:

It's not a pure character addition, rather, she transforms under certain conditions. This means a few things:

1) Transforms via Super Attack.
-If Supers are an item: We lose a character if we turn items off? That's just wrong.
-If Supers are permanant or default: We're stuck with them no matter what, but we keep Zamus

2) B-activated Transformation: Original Suited Samus loses a B move. Self-explainatory.

3) Suit falls off at ceratin percentage: Good, let me get beat up for a while so I can get to my main character, THEN we can start actually fight when I'm at a disadvatange.

Actually, that's pretty much it. All of them pretty much suck.....seperate character is the only 'win' situation. Done deal.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^^

Excellent points, and I have the same fears...unless, of course, they figure out a way to make it a new B move (or perhaps a new button?).

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Maybe change it so the L and R arent the same thing.

That would be interesting, I rarly use R, or change it so Z does it, since L/R + A will do a grab and its better that way.

There are many ways to do it.

NovaWave

Smash Journeyman
I didn't wanna go through all the pages either.

But Fox is now confirmed. He's in the video on the official website.

It's probably already known but I didn't see him in the original post.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I didn't necessarily want ot read all those pages either.

I was actually wondering if anything has been confirmed about Link outfits.

*Spoiler alert*

I'd like to see a Zora Armor, Magic Armor outfit.

Also, Fierce Diety Link would be a cool outfit right? Even if he still had a sword and board.

Also, is there any word of editing links movelist to include Hidden Skills gained in TP? It is a pretty big part of Links fighting in TP.

magikarp ex

Smash Rookie
what about making link editable? (e.g. selecting 3 weapons for b, b+l/r and b+d)

and what about yoshi? he is almost definete due to the yoshis island level in the video. will he have new attacks?

Sensai

Smash Master
Everyone will be updated in some form or fashion. Look at the transistion from 64 to Melee. Everyone is changed/altered in some way.

Zink

Smash Champion
Yeah, but Link in TP has a lot more sword moves, as well as differing items. For example, his hookshot is different.

icymatt

Smash Lord
and what about yoshi? he is almost definete due to the yoshis island level in the video. will he have new attacks?
Nope. All of Yoshi's attacks in Smash Bros. (with the exception of the Egg Roll) are from Yoshi's Island already.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I still think it's a lose-lose situation, here's what we have:

It's not a pure character addition, rather, she transforms under certain conditions. This means a few things:

1) Transforms via Super Attack.
-If Supers are an item: We lose a character if we turn items off? That's just wrong.
-If Supers are permanant or default: We're stuck with them no matter what, but we keep Zamus

2) B-activated Transformation: Original Suited Samus loses a B move. Self-explainatory.

3) Suit falls off at ceratin percentage: Good, let me get beat up for a while so I can get to my main character, THEN we can start actually fight when I'm at a disadvatange.

Actually, that's pretty much it. All of them pretty much suck.....seperate character is the only 'win' situation. Done deal.
But Nintendo wouldn't do that, because they should be at least smart enough to realize that your suggestions would all totally suck balls, which I believe was your point. I have 2 suggestions, both of which I would be happy with, but I would be much happier with the second choice.

1) Simply hold A when you pick Samus, and she starts the battle as Zamus. As long as your opponent isn't an *** if you accidentally forget or something, this could work. Then, every time you die, you can stay ZSS by doing nothing, or press and hold A to change back while still on the invincibility platform. That would make the changing between realistic, since you could never actually remove or don a suit in mid-combat.

2) Some characters, like Samus for instance, already have this ability: Smash B attacks and regular. Samus has the power missile(smashB) and homing missile(overB). What if downB was bomb, and SdownB was transform or something like that? Just lengthen the transformation sequence to like 2 seconds. Then you could change more often and have it like a Shiek/Zelda thing.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I'd much rather they just make it like "Hold down+B when you're at 100%."

However, they should also make you capable of becoming ZSS before the match.

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the one that Rhyme used.

However I think both should be in it.

Using both way like they ddi with sheik/zelda.

But idk.

I'd like to see how it works, should be interesting.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
That was one of the purposes of my post, but my other point was that those are actually most of the realities due to the "not a pure character addition." What i was getting at was what that statement meant, and all of the situations were horrible, but i was pointing out that we were gonna be stuck with one of those stupid choices.

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Knowing Nintendos ways, they'll make it awesome.

We all thought WW would suck because of graphics, but it didnt, it worked with the game.

We have had many doubts in past games that turned out to be amazing.

SO I wouldnt count them out just yet, we may be overlooking something.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya know...with crawling being implemented they might make Samus' crawl be her morphballing around and keep her bombs and whether or not she pops up when/if she plants bombs could mean that this way could keep the same fluidity that her SSBB down B has. That could free up down B for her transformation.

Also, both times she's been seen transforming into No Suit Samus(in M:ZM and MP2, as in the times shes actually physcally somewhere not just standing in front of a black backround) she was close to her ship. So maybe for her down B move she would summon her ship (which she can do at certain points in MP3) to swoop down and shoot a beam that damages everyone else but transforms her if it hits her.

Alternatively, perhaps the transformation could be on the up B slot where, on the ground, she shoots a beam up and transforms that way and, in the air her ship (or, more realistically, a small pod or machine) will swoop down and she grapple beams off of it, kicking anyone in her path.

I don't know...I just thought of those one day.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
I suggest Samus' transformation to Zamus be done while standing on the ground and pressing L+R+Z at the same time. That's during combat.

During character selection, I like the idea of holding A or some other button while the level is loading.

Either that or just turn it into a costume option. Press X or Y to toggle through.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
gamerkid, you're not the only one. it's been discussed.

honestly, i only use samus' bombs for recovery, and maybe one here and there, but i'm sure people better with her use them more. i wouldn't be devastated, just slightly disappointed.

spincycle, it's t rue that nintendo has always somehow managed to dig deep and pull out some far-out system for making things work. they've done it countless times, and countless times we were like "wow, that's so simple, why didn't i think of that?"
I'm not saying the way Sakurai is making will be horrible or ridiculous, but seperate character slot will still be better. even though it sounds bad now, the best outcome of all the lose-lose situations will be the one that we get so cheer up....somewhat.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
Can we discuss the guns again? i just wanna scream PISTOL WHIP!! really loud, cuz that's gonna be his fsmash, i just know it. and then it's gonna have fox yelling PISTOL WHIP YOUR ***,[insert opposing character's name here]!!!!!

Rhyme

Smash Lord
honestly, i only use samus' bombs for recovery, and maybe one here and there, but i'm sure people better with her use them more. i wouldn't be devastated, just slightly disappointed.
Any real Samus player, such as myself, knows and understands the true value of bombs, both used in combat and recovery. I like the idea of Samus crawling(morph ball mode) and being able to boost around or lay bombs, power bombs, and whatnot. However, requiring her to be in this mode to lay bombs would just be stupid. That would mean the player needs to be on the ground, crouch, crawl, then lay a bomb. Automatically, they become harder to use effectively in combat, plus now you can no longer use them in the air, since pressing down in midair is fastfall.

Maybe if you hold B while in crawl(morph ball) for around 3 seconds, you could lay a power bomb. This bomb would most resemble bullet bill from Peach's Castle Level, except that rather than drawing you in, the drawn out weak explosion before the main one allows an oprotunity to DI away, avoiding the main blast and providing the opprotunity to upB back to the edge. This method requires the Samus to have very good timing should the player choose to edgeguard with the weapon.

Am I the only one who thinks that Samus' screw attack should more closely resemble the Metroid game's functionality, very high attack power and distance travel?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
If the screw attack was that awesome Rhyme, it would be too good.

And I know that good Samus players know how to use the bombs and how to use them combatively. but the point i was trying to make was that for people who are not experts on her, or total n00bs (bomb spam), people who are casual but understand the game don't use them as much.

but the powerbomb idea seems very cool. nice job! ^^

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, what if (adding on to my post) Samus could crawl/go into morph ball mode in the air by double tapping down, which is why I mentioned the possibility of her "popping up" (to counteract the split second you fastfalled from the first down press) when she did it.

Or maybe you could press different control pad directions to switch "modes". Like -> would make you more offensive, <- would make you more defensive/evasive , and down would make you crawl (or transform). These would have balances, of course. Though, having crawl be a toggled move might not be very intuitive. Also, this would be hard to do with the GCN Controller but easier with the Classic Controller and even easier with the Wiimote and Nunchuk. So...maybe I'm not being conservative enough. :/

Sensai

Smash Master
I would be seriously surprised if you read anything about Dante (Daunte? Dawnte isn't right, fo' sho'.) from DMC.

Unless, of course, it said 'roflrofl, this n0b0s 0utz!111one!'

Plomid

Smash Ace
what about making link editable? (e.g. selecting 3 weapons for b, b+l/r and b+d)

character edit hasn´t been popular in other fighters so id rather keep the preset mode.
as for yoshi he will have atleast one new move like every one else: the super move((s)we dont know if its one or many) i could think of one...... melee opening movie:)

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Yoshen? Yoshus? Yoshiz?

The thing is, all of this breaks down the question 'How does an english speaking person pluralize a japanese word?' Since we don't know how the Japanese do it, we're trying to fit it into different system. It gets even more complicated if you consider that Yoshi was most likely intended to be a proper name refering to the Yoshi of Super Mario World, but has since become the general classification for that particular species of lizard. So, do we treat it as a proper name (Yoshis)? Or treat it as a classification (Yoshi)? Personally, I'm going to defy all gramatical propriety and call them Yoshii. I was gonna go with Yoshiz, but that just looks like I'm trying to be ghetto cool. Which I'm not. And proud of it.

What concerns me more is the unit. Would it be a herd of Yoshii? Or a pack of Yoshii? Maybe a pride of Yoshii? Or perhaps a gaggle of Yoshii? I suppose if you're really good with the character, you could call it a murder of Yoshii...

Andy

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
im i the only one to notice that the new fox holds his gun at all times???wont this affect his move set???
I forsee pistol whipping!

And on the topic of ZSamus transformation *dramatic pause* Nintendo already said somthing would happen after you picked samus to make her armor fall off mid-match. So instead of the Brawl attack-because of no-items=lose a character-what about the "once damage reaches a certain point" her armor would fall off but her damage would be lowered or re-set to 0. I mean ZSamus is weaker then Samus I mean one of the big points of the suit is "increases her stamina and spedd blah blah blah" so she'd, so that makes up for the reset/reduced damage. Think losing 1 ice climber. This is probably unbalanced, but its just an idea, hopefully leading to more believable ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom