• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ips, I'm completely clueless as to what you mean. Do you mean that those counter Mewtwo's Up B?

And the_air_up_there, there was a rumor going around about that due to someone posting the 'voice of Ganon' on some site. Unless you're talking about something else, know it's untrue.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I disagree, or else there wouldn't be any truly 'great' moves.

For proof I point to Mewtwo's Up B and also to Sheik's Fair.
Mewtwo's Up B has to be the worse recovery move ever since it's not even an attack....it's only predictable evasion while Shiek's Up B is a tricky since of evasion and an attack....you can't beat that.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Ips, I'm completely clueless as to what you mean. Do you mean that those counter Mewtwo's Up B?
Well, Mewtwo's up B doesn't do damage, so it can't really be countered. Or at least I don't think it does... but my point here is that if there's a move that you really think is unstoppable, just remember that Marth, Roy, Peach, Doc/Mario all have built-in counters.

Mewtwo's Up B has to be the worse recovery move ever since it's not even an attack....it's only predictable evasion while Shiek's Up B is a tricky since of evasion and an attack....you can't beat that.
I'm not sure where your logic is here. It's not that predictable because it depends on the direction you send him, and where you start the up B. And how can you say it's horrible if it takes an already floaty character half-way across the screen (slightly exaggerating but you get my point). Who's up-B are you comparing Mewtwo's to anyways? What about Zelda's up-B, or the Ice Climbers? Do you ever use Pika/Pichu's as an attack? If anything Pika/Pichu's is worse because he can be hit out of it rather easily.

I hate Fox's side B, I just can't find a use for it.
Didn't we already go over this one and why it's neccessary? Just go a few pages back you'll see it there somewhere. (in-short... it's useful as a recovery option that is easy to sweetspot the edge with).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes you can, Mewtwo's Up B travels futher and comes out faster than Sheik's. Yeah, Sheik's Up B does damage, but seriously... Who has ever been hit by that move...? =/ Mewtwo's Up B is VERY good, clearly one of the best! Only Peach and Jigglypuff can beat him in recovery.

I hate Fox's side B, I just can't find a use for it.
Yeah I hate it to, it's not like it's a swift non predictable recovery move... ;>_>

Rhyme

Smash Lord
ZSS will be much better than Shiek is. IMO, Shiek is a last resort. I would NEVER choose him over any of the other characters...except maybe Pichu. *shudders*
I would almost always choose Pichu over Shiek. Pichu can be a good character in the hands of an oprotunistic smasher. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the only time I would ever choose Shiek before Pichu was if I had to face a nasty Falcon.

Yes you can, Mewtwo's Up B travels futher and comes out faster than Sheik's. Yeah, Sheik's Up B does damage, but seriously... Who has ever been hit by that move...? =/ Mewtwo's Up B is VERY good, clearly one of the best! Only Peach and Jigglypuff can beat him in recovery.

Yeah I hate it to, it's not like it's a swift non predictable recovery move... ;>_>
I like the recovery move. Besides, Fox's upB is predictable enough anyway, might as well give him an alternative. You can also catch your opponent off guard with overB, and it sets them up for punishment like a good Usmash/Uair. You just have to be conscious of how much you use it because if your opponent starts second guessing you the overB recovery will fail.

I would agree that Mewtwo was given one of the better upBs in the game. Besides (Y)Link, possibly Marth and maybe DK, I never see upBs being used in battle. That being said, it makes for an amazing recovery that is hard to edgeguard. Mewtwo can't be hit before he sweetspots the edge like Shiek can and Mewtwo suffers less landing/start up lag. The only way to stop this move is to hit him before he gets a chance to use it or know 90% where he's going to appear and be able to hit him very far from the edge. And I would say that a good Pikachu or Samus could best Mewtwo in recovery.

Also, yay, Sensai is back!

[boredom]

EDIT: Ipslne, I use Pika's upB to stun recovering opponents. Especially against a fastfaller like Shiek, Falcon or Fox, it can be used quite effectively to hinder their recovery. Also, Pichu/Mewtwo only characters with an upB that doesn't damage?

I decided to be ambitious and list all practical uses for upB attacks so we have a reference point. Ya' know, just in case anyone here cared. *Recovery included for all but Jiggs/Yoshi*

Luigi: reverse upB kill, Bowser: counter shffl abusers, Peach: juggling move?, DK: edgeguard, Ness: tailwhip, Samus: counter shffl abusers, Link: edgeguard, counter shffl abusers, combo ender?, YLink: counter shffl abusers, Sheik: edgeguard, tricky edgehogs, Jiggs: edgehop rest, Mewtwo: reverse upB kill, Roy: [/URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNUwOv3h3Xw]special[/URL]*

As I recently discovered, Roy has the special ability to KO Jiggs at 0% with a reverse upB if done correctly.

For Sheik's edgehog, it's a short bit into the vid, so just watch if you're curious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Bowser's Up B as a move is clearly the best of them all... Link's Spin Attack is also often abused by newer players, and yeah... DK's Up B is sexy. :)

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986

Very good? Are you serious? I can spike him down to oblivion when ever I want. (unless Mewtwo is in the hands of a really skilled veteran) That's the only exception. Other than that, you have to be very creative when coming back to the edge such as using his aerial evasion, or grabbing on to the edge to prevent certain disaster. Also, I think Fox's, Peach's, and Marth have the best methods to coming back to the stage, especially Marth's since his is instant and very hard for him to get spiked.

Sensai

Smash Master
FOX?! Are you serious? Every single recovery Fox has is near terrible...

Sure, it goes along way, but it's still easily countered and manipulated.

(We're talking about confirmed characters, yep.)

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
FOX?! Are you serious? Every single recovery Fox has is near terrible...

Sure, it goes along way, but it's still easily countered and manipulated.

(We're talking about confirmed characters, yep.)
Hopefully they won't make Fire Fox so predictable in Brawl. Also, I hope that he isn't subseptable to being spiked down to oblivion so easily.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
A good Fox doesn't get spiked too easily unless he's against a rather good Smasher. It usually takes at least two attempts to successfully spike a Fox as long as he/she can meteor cancel well enough.

Sensai

Smash Master
I think Fox's Up B is pretty much the only reason he's not God tier.

Earthbenderjump, I really like your sig, haha. The confirmed characters are on the first page, and even though it's not updated often, it's accurate (we haven't had any news in how long now?).

Speaking of that...isn't it about time that we get another trailer...or something? Maybe at the GDC conference?

Stryks

Smash Hero
I think Fox's Up B is pretty much the only reason he's not God tier.

Earthbenderjump, I really like your sig, haha. The confirmed characters are on the first page, and even though it's not updated often, it's accurate (we haven't had any news in how long now?).

Speaking of that...isn't it about time that we get another trailer...or something? Maybe at the GDC conference?

They will probably show a new trailer, but havent give any info like they did with the 1st trailer back at E3, I believe we'll get one trailer at GDC, then a 4th trailer showing new moves from the guys of the 3rd trailer probably shown at E3 or some other expo/conference b4 it...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
God I hate Firefox's predictability. I got owned because their was nothing I could do other than Firefox into Ganondorf's Fsmash. It was either that all fall to my death.

Sorry about the lack of colour, I forgot lol

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
God I hate Firefox's predictability. I got owned because their was nothing I could do other than Firefox into Ganondorf's Fsmash. It was either that all fall to my death.

Sorry about the lack of colour, I forgot lol
Hm... if you up-b'ed into Ganon's f-smash, than you probably weren't too low to side-b and sweet-spot the edge. Yeah, Firefox is pretty predictable; but that's why I endorsed his side-b as a good alternative. It's easy to sweet spot the edge with. Or you could have fallen more, and slid up the wall with your up-b, hopefully sweet-spotting the edge that way. A little more skill involved there, but still a possibility.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I had a great dream last night. In fact, I had 2 dreams last night, but one of them is completely irrelavent. I dreamt that I was listening to the new Metal Battle Theme for the new Battlefield stage. Oh man, it was awesome!

Sensai

Smash Master
And you didn't record it? Jesus, how inconsiderate.

I swear, if Brawl isn't orchestrated, I'mma kill Nintendo. They pulled that **** with Twilight Princess, but not my Smash, dammit!

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Oh if you only knew. I wish I could have recorded it. Lets see.....it sounded like that tune off of Virtua Fighter 3 when you get up to the last boss.....Dural.

Stryks

Smash Hero
And you didn't record it? Jesus, how inconsiderate.

I swear, if Brawl isn't orchestrated, I'mma kill Nintendo. They pulled that **** with Twilight Princess, but not my Smash, dammit!
Well the guy that worked on final fantasy's music will work on brawl, so theres a high chance some stages, primarily IMO the LOZ stages, FE stages, and maybe some metroid stages will get orchestrated music...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Mr. Uematsu only composed the main theme that has been in the trailers. He said in an interview that he was asked by Mr. Ando, who did the music for both of the other games, to compose it, so Mr. Ando will probably be returning as the lead composer/arranger person.

Also, the official site says that they will be using a full orchestra and a choir (which, like every other instrument, doesn't have to be used for every song) for the songs. Orchestral doesn't mean classical, either, it just means accoustic or really high quality synth (like an electric guitar) depending on the song. So...they should fill up any free space with music because...what else do we play this game for?

Sensai

Smash Master
Now now, Devastlian. I like my music. And God knows that music makes the Zelda series, so why not have good music for Smash, too?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I wasn't being sarcastic, actually...I loved the music in SSBM and would sometimes just put it in and listen to the sound test for quite awhile at a time. :x Mr. Ando (and the other people who did the music in SSBM, though I guess some could be synthesizers etc.) made wonderful music and arrangements in both previous games.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Nobuo Uematsu may also choose to compose for his "metal" band, The Black Mages. It'd be an interesting mix of music; but he's always been able to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom