• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Andy...
That's nonsense. *tilts head to the side*
At least I think it is.

It's just Adventure Mode. You start as Mario and Kirby and then pick up other characters along the way... so you can play as them in Adventure Mode. That's all there is to it.
I very strongly doubt that this has any effect on who you can play as when you first call up Multiplayer, and I saw no indication of it in the update.

What I did see an indication of, however, was...

INTENSE!!

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well it looks like the predictions about starting out Brawl with only one or two characters and unlocking the rest through adventure mode (Subspace Emissary) are true. Who else said that? Rhyme? Aeris? Dyce? I remember discussing it with someone awhile back.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of that development. Something tells me it will take awhile to unlock my beloved Pikachu. And since virtually ALL the characters are unlockable, rather than starters, I feel like this could mean less characters are included overall.
Yup. I was one of the people who said we should start with hardly anyone, maybe 4 chracters, and have to unlock the rest in adventure. I don't think any of us predicted two, but if someone did than I'll tip my fedora to that individual.

That kinda makes sense. If the story worked this way, we'd be running a base2 exponential tree. Each stage of the SE storyline presents two additional characters for each branch you could have taken. That bar is 6 character pictures long, which means five stages where you can potentially unlock characters. 2^5 = 32 unlockable characters, plus the two starters Mario and Kirby, plus 1 "super secret" G&W type character = 35 total characters in Brawl.

Sounds good to me.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Well a way of Powering yourself up??????? If I find out Im gonna say OVER 9000!!!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys

Mr. Saturn appear in MOTHER 3, too, so...kinda like with the Franklin Badge, he doesn't help much for either party.
Granted, I only recently started EarthBound, but I know for a fact that the Franklin Badge plays a VERY big role in the end of MOTHER3. And I also believe that Sakurai used the MOTHER3 coloration on the Franklin Badge, but I could be mistaken.

Well it looks like the predictions about starting out Brawl with only one or two characters and unlocking the rest through adventure mode (Subspace Emissary) are true. Who else said that? Rhyme? Aeris? Dyce? I remember discussing it with someone awhile back.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of that development. Something tells me it will take awhile to unlock my beloved Pikachu. And since virtually ALL the characters are unlockable, rather than starters, I feel like this could mean less characters are included overall.
I like the idea of starting out with a few characters in Adventure Mode, but I don't like the idea of a default roster of 2-4. It's an interesting concept, don't get me wrong, but I can assure you that I never suggested that. :lick:

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I originally said 4-8 characters. And that's probably just as "keeping busy" and it's still a small portion of the full roster. And those boxes are not going to be as clear cut. I expect them to be abstract on the # each team has. Which I also thought we'd get a total of 4 at once in co-op. meh, two doesn't take as much away I guess.

INTENSE will be fun. Maybe you get different characters on different levels o_O

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Ok, I wrote out a whole bunch of stuff in school, but I was logged out right before I was going to send it. So I'm not going to write ALL of that again, but I'll paraphrase it quickly:

@Dynamism:
If aerial dodging onto the ground were to turn into some sort dodge instead of WDing, I think it would be more like a "tuck-n-roll" rather than a spot dodge.

@Devastlian:
Oh, he is, crap. I should have read a bit more deeply into his summary on Wikipedia.
This sucks. My dreams of Ness are slowly withering away as the days go on... I pray he comes back.

@rAt:
Yessir, t'was I who called it.
But from the looks of things, the story could change along with how your story progresses. Who your party will consist of, who you meet, and how your story will ultimately unfold. From the looks of it, I'm guessing anything that takes place in the Arena will be the prologue. Anything after that will be part of the main story and will be more easily malleable to your decisions, actions, and consiquences.

@Rhyme:
I don't know about 6 characters per "bench"... to me, it looks more like 7!
(My finger width is the size of one character's icon, I guessed using the finger method. :tongue:)

And on a side note, it could very well be possible that you will be able to change the difficulty of each level on the fly, as opposed to the entire game just at the start. This could be an easier way for us to unlock things in Brawl. As opposed to the old "Go through however you want, you'll get basically the same things anyway..." methodology, we'll be getting something more along the lines of a "See if you can beat this level on a higher difficulty, you might get something cool..." type of deal.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Dyce man, your predictions are becoming uncanny. Maybe you should make www.dyce-dojo and give us the update ahead of time lol. But seriously... Tag matches would be a nice upgrade from the ironman match. co-op will be epic.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Well a way of Powering yourself up??????? If I find out Im gonna say OVER 9000!!!
didnt the guys from the genyu force from dbz say that. i cant quite remember where that ariginated from, i know alvin used it in super mario bros. z....... anyway this update tiss cool.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Granted, I only recently started EarthBound, but I know for a fact that the Franklin Badge plays a VERY big role in the end of MOTHER3. And I also believe that Sakurai used the MOTHER3 coloration on the Franklin Badge, but I could be mistaken.
Ya...actually...the fact that they've only shown inter-game items could hint that they're using characters and/or stages from more than one of the games. Kinda like what they could be possibly hinting at with Castle Siege. Or something.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Ya...actually...the fact that they've only shown inter-game items could hint that they're using characters and/or stages from more than one of the games. Kinda like what they could be possibly hinting at with Castle Siege. Or something.
Well actually the Golden Hammer is from Wrecking Crew only.

Also, I know the Pitfall is from every Animal Crossing, but what about Super Spicy Curry?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well actually the Golden Hammer is from Wrecking Crew only.

Also, I know the Pitfall is from every Animal Crossing, but what about Super Spicy Curry?
I meant for just the MOTHER and FE series. :1

I believe that Super Spicy Curry was only in the first Kirby's Dreamland 'cause in every game after that you got abilities from enemies instead of food.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I don't know what the making you character stronger or however it's worded will mean. Any thoughts?
Like maybe it will work like the way a handicap affects your strength and knockback and so forth.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Maybe it just Goves you Falco and Says

You Have Gone OVER 9000!

Falco Joins the Fray

And now Falco is super duper cheap lolz or mayber Character widgets/gimmicks??? such as different knockback directions??? Customizable attacks??? Remember Mario's Down B??? This is a legit theory lolz

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Maybe it just Goves you Falco and Says

You Have Gone OVER 9000!

Falco Joins the Fray

And now Falco is super duper cheap lolz or mayber Character widgets/gimmicks??? such as different knockback directions??? Customizable attacks??? Remember Mario's Down B??? This is a legit theory lolz
lol, repryz your getting closer and closer to getting a post sigged by someone.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
MINE TOO :) YEY!

Yeah, Bowser is the only one he actually stated that would have a "new flavor" and all we seen is the fire (obviously he'd still have it) and one kind of puch that's appeared in a few pics. Other than that he's just jumping or standing in all the screenshots. It pisses me off

I say,
DB - same with imobility and distance controlled gliding before the slam
UB - same, but higher when used in the air
B - same, but lasts even longer
FB - ember, shoots those fire balls in the air and they land on surfaces burning for a while

His melee forward be can be his throw in the air still. A didge into it like a grapple. :p

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I say,
DB - same with imobility and distance controlled gliding before the slam
UB - same, but higher when used in the air
B - same, but lasts even longer
FB - ember, shoots those fire balls in the air and they land on surfaces burning for a while
Here's what I think:

B - Same (obviously), but if it's going to take a long time to start-up and cool-down then it shouldn't die out and should keep enemies trapped better; *OR make it one of those "heavy armor" moves.*

fB - Same (obviously), but give it the ability to combo steadily (left, right, left, right) and extend the hit-box and grab-box.

uB - Same as is, great move.

dB - Same, but with "heavy armor" and the ability to "slide" across the air while at the apex.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Andy...
That's nonsense. *tilts head to the side*
At least I think it is.

It's just Adventure Mode. You start as Mario and Kirby and then pick up other characters along the way... so you can play as them in Adventure Mode. That's all there is to it.
I very strongly doubt that this has any effect on who you can play as when you first call up Multiplayer, and I saw no indication of it in the update.

What I did see an indication of, however, was...

INTENSE!!
Okay, so after I initially read your interpretation of the Adventure Mode exclusive unlocking, it made sense to me. Actually, I was originally going to post props for coming up with a different idea (which I still give ya, there's just more to the post than that).
However, I was thinking about it mere seconds ago and a thought occured to me; if you're right, then wouldn't we have to unlock secret characters twice? Once for Adventure Mode and once for Multiplayer? Also, wouldn't it then be counter-productive to use Adventure Mode as a way of unlocking secret characters, as it has been in previous games, since the Adventure Mode unlockings are specific to Adventure Mode?
Anyhow, I hope you're right, but at the moment I'm expecting the worst. Or what I think is the worst, anyhow.
On a side note, props on using my real name.

Yup. I was one of the people who said we should start with hardly anyone, maybe 4 chracters, and have to unlock the rest in adventure. I don't think any of us predicted two, but if someone did than I'll tip my fedora to that individual.

That kinda makes sense. If the story worked this way, we'd be running a base2 exponential tree. Each stage of the SE storyline presents two additional characters for each branch you could have taken. That bar is 6 character pictures long, which means five stages where you can potentially unlock characters. 2^5 = 32 unlockable characters, plus the two starters Mario and Kirby, plus 1 "super secret" G&W type character = 35 total characters in Brawl.
Dangit Rhyme, you discovered my only weakness (besides death); math. I'll just have to trust that you're right on that. And that you will never take advantage of previously mentioned weakness. That's going to come back and bite me in the *** isn't it?

I like the idea of starting out with a few characters in Adventure Mode, but I don't like the idea of a default roster of 2-4. It's an interesting concept, don't get me wrong, but I can assure you that I never suggested that. :lick:
It isn't the idea of starting out out with few characters and unlocking the rest which bothers me so much as the capacity for such a method justifying the inclusion of fewer unlockable characters. After all, why in Melee were so many unlockable characters included? To give us the excitement of unlocking them. But if everyone except Mario and Kirby are unlockable, then we already have nineteen unlockable characters to be excited about unlocking.

@rAt:
Yessir, t'was I who called it.
But from the looks of things, the story could change along with how your story progresses. Who your party will consist of, who you meet, and how your story will ultimately unfold. From the looks of it, I'm guessing anything that takes place in the Arena will be the prologue. Anything after that will be part of the main story and will be more easily malleable to your decisions, actions, and consiquences.

And on a side note, it could very well be possible that you will be able to change the difficulty of each level on the fly, as opposed to the entire game just at the start. This could be an easier way for us to unlock things in Brawl. As opposed to the old "Go through however you want, you'll get basically the same things anyway..." methodology, we'll be getting something more along the lines of a "See if you can beat this level on a higher difficulty, you might get something cool..." type of deal.
If Fawriel ends up being right about Adventure Mode not affecting character use in Multiplayer, then I am very intrigued by your suggestion. If not, I'm disappointed, because it inevitably puts unecessary steps between me and my beloved rAt. I mean, what if saving Peach dooms Pikachu to a feiry death? I couldn't live with myself after that! Then again, if I happened to find a choice which would doom PICHU to a feiry death, then something good might just come out of this Adventure Mode unlocking dealio.

Also, I like your speculations on difficulty changes. Reminds me of the difficulty settings in Perfect Dark and Goldeneye (although, my memory is getting hazy, so if the comparison doesn't hold up don't shoot me. I bruise easily. By bullets anyhow).

Well, that's all for tonight. Sorry I didn't add much besides responding to people. I've been working a lot on my book, and by the time I stop to check in here, my brain is usually about as useful as a steak at a vegan convention. Fortunately, I don't go to vegan conventions, but at least I know that if I did, they wouldn't eat my brain. Now if I could only say the same thing about those Zombie conventions...

Andy

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
On a side note, props on using my real name.

It isn't the idea of starting out out with few characters and unlocking the rest which bothers me so much as the capacity for such a method justifying the inclusion of fewer unlockable characters. After all, why in Melee were so many unlockable characters included? To give us the excitement of unlocking them. But if everyone except Mario and Kirby are unlockable, then we already have nineteen unlockable characters to be excited about unlocking.
Ohh, I didn't know you preferred that! I was afraid to do so only because I dunno if there are other frequent posters named Andy that would misinterpret my usage of your name. If you prefer Andy to rAt for all intents and purposes, I'll be more than happy to oblige. :)

You make a valid point. We are currently operating under the assumption that all of the characters revealed on the DOJO thus far--save Snake and possibly Meta Knight--are on the default roster. I can certainly see how having to unlock these characters would kill some of the excitement that naturally comes with unlocking a secret character.

Well, that's all for tonight. Sorry I didn't add much besides responding to people. I've been working a lot on my book, and by the time I stop to check in here, my brain is usually about as useful as a steak at a vegan convention.
So, essentially, you are temptation--or at least your brain is. :chuckle:

Dynamism

Smash Lord
If anyone has played SF 64 you'll know what I'm talking about :
When you play the first two levels, there are "special" events that happen in each one, (like following Falco through a hidden waterfall) and these events send you to a different planet/area on the map. These events could possibly be compared to those in the SE like saving the other princess. If this is the case, there may be 1 or 2 unlockable characters or stages etc on each path. And many events happen through the game that can either lead you back to the original path or a bran new one.

This can also come into play in the way that not all characters etc will be unlocked in SE. Many of them aren't in the SE until you unlock them in multi-player or classic mode or else where. When a new char is unlocked outside, either the new event happens in the SE or a new plot on the side is set and merges with the original. Possibly only on the harder difficulties. And on harder difficulties, there are more events and levels, like the last boss in easy won't be the same last boss in hard, which won't be the same last boss for Intense because it extends more into the story.

The map is also in favor of this. It looks like it's open for plenty of undiscovered area and when something is unlocked outside, or you take a different path from completing an event, more areas are open to enter. This map looks much like the one in SF but it's more hidden and doesn't show what comes ahead. Because it doesn't know which way you'll go? Or because it's the same everytime but the first time you do it, you don't need to know? Unlockables in the SE and outside are both probable and would make quite a bit of diversity to the hidden chars in the game.

Co-op also makes me hope for something that was missing from melee. A royal rumble type of Brawl. Like time and stock, not special. Every time you're stocked in the SE, you change characters for your next stock. I want an option like this in vs. 1 v 1 battles, 3 char, 3 stock per char. I don't see why they wouldn't have it now that it happens in Single player.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Come to think of it... maybe they'll go even further with GaW and downgrade his graphics to a pixely level.
Though that might not make sense in a historical sense since he's made of liquid crystal or something... but on the other hand, doesn't he appear in some remakes of Game&Watch games for the GBA? If so, they could copy from the sprites of those games...

ManArmstrong

Smash Rookie
I'm all up for new characters in Brawl and everything, but Snake dissapoints me... Call me a purist, but I think Brawl should stick to Nintendo characters. I guess he'd bring an edge to the game...

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm a nintendo fanboy too, but if you want to get into semantics, you can rest your head on "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes", which was released for the NGC a while back. Top quality. Y Link underestimated, on the flipside, couldn't this also mean there is a chance that he could be an AT himself? Perhaps he would preform an action like those from the games.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Basically Nintendo has been having an affair with Konami/Kojima for 19 years now. Just been hush-hush.

All I can say, Bowser's special moves. I'm feelin' it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom