• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ COMPLETE! ] Smashboards Creates: All-Star Strife (An indie-based platform fighter!)

Isaac Garcia/Kawai Sprite (Friday Night Funkin)

He is a composer for 2020 Newgrounds game Friday Night Funkin and he would handle the music for indie game Allstar Strife. He may not make song similar to Brawl's theme, but still he would make energetic main theme for the game (Maybe from Electronic music genre).

FazDude

Smash Master
(No. 96) Trap Item: Dust Bunny (Celeste)

This item spawns as a little ball which can be picked up and thrown. Upon hitting the ground, the ball expands into a "puddle" of dust bunnies which cover a portion of the platform. Opponents who stand on top of the dust bunnies take constant damage, are unable to jump, and suffer from decreased movement speed. Luckily, all of these symptoms disappear once the opponent escapes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Composer nomination: Jake "Virt" Kaufman

Known for his work with WayForward, Virt has been composing video game music since 2000, giving an outstanding soundtrack to several of the games that we already have represented, like Shantae and Shovel Knight.

Sample songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEifuLCSIY (he didn't write the song, but he remixed it for the remaster)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hideki Naganuma

Hideki Naganuma has a past working for Sega to compose soundtracks for games like Sonic Rush and the Jet Set Radio games, though he currently works on indie games like Lethal League, Hover: Revolt of Gamers, and the upcoming Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. His music has been praised for its funky rhythms and unique incorporation of voice samples.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions are closed!
  • Our second stage from the last stage job will be The Saucelands, submitted by Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP !
  • My submissions for Madeline and Hat Kid win by default.
  • Both the Bear Trap and Dust Bunny will be added to the item lineup.
  • Please vote here for our composer. You are allowed to vote for up to three artists, but only one can win.
----
Alrighty, who's ready for some jobs?

Job 98-99: Submit six music tracks for Headspace and/or The Subway!
Select six music tracks for either or both stages. Only music from OMORI will be allowed in Headspace, but since I cannot find any Subway Midnight music for the life of me, any music from indie horror games will be allowed for The Subway.

Job 100: Submit a non-final boss character for a boss position!
In layman's terms, submit a character who is a boss, but not a final boss. For example, if you wanted to submit an UNDERTALE boss, you'd be able to submit Undyne the Undying, but not Sans or Photoshop Flowey.

Submissions close tomorrow afternoon!

(Also, to go on a brief tangent... 100 jobs. Wow. That's a pretty impressive milestone. I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone who's contributed to the thread so far. We've had some rough patches and jobs I could have handled better, but overall, I'm really proud of what we have accomplished so far, and I'm willing to see this through until the end. Cheers, y'all!)

NanayaGaming

Smash Journeyman

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Boss: Lernaean Hydra/"Lernie" (Hades)

The hydra of Greek mythology, slain by Hercules and currently residing in the fiery rivers of Asphodel. It's one of the major obstacles that Zagreus has to face during his many, many escape attempts.

The Hydra has five heads, much like in Hades:
-Bone Hydra: the default head - it can lunge at the player, slam into the ground, or shoot a volley of slow-moving darts that home in on the player
-Slammer: a blue head that slams onto the ground more forcefully, causing rocks to fall from the roof
-Magma: an orange head that shoots magma onto the stage; the magma stays there for a bit, causing damage over time if you step on it
-Summoner: a green head that will spawn skeleton enemies, though only a limited amount can be on stage at once to keep the player from being overwhelmed if they're dealing with other heads
-Wave Head: a purple head that shoots out waves of energy, which move faster than the main head's darts but don't home in

Any of the heads can lunge at the player, and you have to defeat them all to win. (they each take up 1/5 of the health bar)

---

Not familiar enough with Omori or horror games in general to submit any music this time - the only indie horror games that I'm familiar with are Dead By Daylight and Carrion.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Job 100: DJ Music Man(FNAF)(Was going to submit Right Hand Man from Henry Stickmin but wasn't sure he counted as a final boss)

Continuing on with this job's thing of giant bosses, There's DJ Music Man! This battle will be unique for two reasons:
  1. The boss will instant kill you if you get close enough so rely on ranged attacks
  2. This boss is a chase sequence
There is an end to your corridor to you should be quick

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions / voting have closed!
  • Toby Fox will be composing our game's main theme!
  • Please vote here for the Headspace music. Disregard this; NanayaGaming has won through Infinity Sorcerer dropping out.
  • The Subway music list by Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP wins by default.
    • However, there were two broken links which I had to fix manually. I'm not sure if I found the right track for Slender, but if I didn't, please let me know.
  • Due to the low number of submissions, only one boss will be added. Please vote here.
----
You may have noticed that each of our weekly newcomer jobs also comes bundled with a stage job. However, this will not be happening this week. We will still have a newcomer job this Friday as per usual, but I wanna try something a bit different that just can't coexist with one of those.

Job 101: The Stagestravaganza!
Horrible name aside, today's job is dedicated to adding a ton of stages! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to nominate up to three stages of your choosing. The catch is that each stage must be related to one of the following themes in some way:
  • Underground / Dungeon
  • Magic
  • Space
  • Pixel Art
  • Fighting Game
  • Puzzle
You also can't double dip into one category (as in, you can't submit two stages for one category), so be careful.

Submissions will close tomorrow night. Have fun, and get creative!

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Oh wait wait wait, I guessed that we can merge our music, then no, I will delete myself of the votation, my cousin already included the most popular tracks.

In terms of this "Stagetravaganza" my submissions are:
THE GUNGEON - ENTER THE GUNGEON (DUNGEONS/PIXEL ART)
In this stage we will be going down to each Chamber of the Gungeon, starting in the Breach where most NPCs would do cameos looking the fight, after that we will go to the Keep of the Lead Lord, the Gungeon Proper, the Black Powder Mine, the Hollow and the Forge. In each stage apart of see the inhabitants of the Gungeon like Bullet Kins, Bullet Sharks, Gun Nuts, Gunjoners, etc. There is a chance that a Boss appears in any of these stages being the options the Gatling Gull, the Ammoconda, Cannonbalrog and the High Priest, should be noted that only one of these bosses will appear in each repetition of the floors so after one appears there will not be another one until we start once again in the Breach.

NIDHOGG (FIGHTING GAMES/PIXEL ART)
I honestly don't known what I would do with this. I just think it would be neat to have something of Nidhogg.

BABA (PUZZLE/PIXEL ART)
Ok I think this would be a fun stage, the stage would be very simple at the start with Baba and some buttons around in places that the players can't reach, after certain time Baba will start to move these buttons to affect the stage, for example ROCK is DAMAGE making all the characters take damage if they touch a rock or FLOOR is LAVA changing the regular floor for lava that obviously will made the characters take damage.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Oh wait wait wait, I guessed that we can merge our music, then no, I will delete myself of the votation, my cousin already included the most popular tracks.
I see - You and Nanaya mentioned you had cousins, but I didn't think you were referring to each other. I'll just go ahead and give Nanaya the win then.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Stagestravaganza Submissions:
  • Toppat Ship(Henry Stickmin) - Space
    • The Soon-to-be Base of the Toppat Crew in an attempt to escape the government.
  • Hades - Underworld/Dungeon
    • The aptly named base of Zagreus and his father and will be based on the hub world.
  • Week Six(Friday Night Funkin') - Pixel Art
    • A Retro Style High School Sim like Doki Doki and Yandere Simulator and like both, it gets spoopy.

FazDude

Smash Master
Pixel Art Stage: Lava Factory (Annalynn)

Holy cow, FazDude submitting Annalynn content? Who could have seen this coming?

In all seriousness, though, I think a stage based off this area in particular could be fun. I'd imagine it'd have a similar layout to what's pictured. This stage's main gimmick is provided by the Venom Brood, consisting of the snakes Randy, Handy, Candy, and Satan Mike. They would enter the stage through the doors seen in the image and deal damage upon contact. However, Blinding Rubies will appear on the top two platforms on occasion; Once picked up, a fighter gains the ability to kick the Venom Brood off-screen via touch, as well as increased attack power!

In short, it's pretty much Pac-Maze. And who doesn't love Pac-Maze?

Underground Stage: The Underground (UNDERTALE)

We already have Frisk as a fighter and Sans as an assist, but I don't think UNDERTALE representation is complete until we get a means to display its world and music. The Underground would do just that; It would begin in the Ruins, then transition to Snowdin, Waterfall, Hotland, and finally New Home before looping back to the Ruins. Assume some SAVE shenanigans are at play here.

Puzzle Game Stage: Cobalt Plateaeus (Angry Birds 2)

This stage is All-Star Strife's answer to Smash's Super Mario Maker stage. While the general layout remains the same, pig fortresses are randomly generated at the start of each match. While usually acting as walls, they can be toppled over by strong attacks or being launched into them, potentially creating a lot of chaos with the resulting debris (even if the actual falling down isn't as fluid as the source).

(this might just be my most self-indulgent set of submissions yet)

FazDude

Smash Master

In this stage we will be going down to each Chamber of the Gungeon, starting in the Breach where most NPCs would do cameos looking the fight, after that we will go to the Keep of the Lead Lord, the Gungeon Proper, the Black Powder Mine, the Hollow and the Forge. In each stage apart of see the inhabitants of the Gungeon like Bullet Kins, Bullet Sharks, Gun Nuts, Gunjoners, etc. There is a chance that a Boss appears in any of these stages being the options the Gatling Gull, the Ammoconda, Cannonbalrog and the High Priest, should be noted that only one of these bosses will appear in each repetition of the floors so after one appears there will not be another one until we start once again in the Breach.

I honestly don't known what I would do with this. I just think it would be neat to have something of Nidhogg.

BABA (PUZZLE/PIXEL ART)
Ok I think this would be a fun stage, the stage would be very simple at the start with Baba and some buttons around in places that the players can't reach, after certain time Baba will start to move these buttons to affect the stage, for example ROCK is DAMAGE making all the characters take damage if they touch a rock or FLOOR is LAVA changing the regular floor for lava that obviously will made the characters take damage.

Despite all three stages being pixel art, all of them will be accepted since each have a seperate type attached to them, which I consider their "primary" type.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 101

Pixel Art

Miami (Hotline Miami)

This would take place on the menu screens of Hotline Miami or Hotline Miami 2

It would be a KOF Arena clone

Fighting Game

Slap Arena (Slap City)

It would appear how it does in that game

Puzzle Game

CROSSNIQ+ (CROSSNIQ+)

The stage would take place on top of the bars and icons of the game while a game of CROSSNIQ is played.

When a cross is made and you are in front of it you take damage

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions and voting are closed!

The boss vote ended in a draw between Hydra and DJ Music Man. After getting some off-site help to break the tie, it looks like DJ Music Man, submitted by Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP is bringing his terrifying tunes to the brawl!

Now, we vote on our stages from the Stagestravaganza!
  • Toppat Ship (Henry Stickmin) (Qwerty UIOP)
  • The Hub (Hades) (Qwerty UIOP)
  • Week Six (Friday Night Funkin') (Qwerty UIOP)
  • Lava Factory (Annalynn) (FazDude)
  • The Underground (UNDERTALE) (FazDude)
  • Cobalt Plateaeus (Angry Birds 2) (FazDude)
  • The Gungeon (Enter the Gungeon) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  • Nidhogg (Nidhogg) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  • Baba (Baba is You) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  • Miami (Hotline Miami) (cashregister9)
  • Slap Arena (Slap City) (cashregister9)
  • CROSSNIQ+ (CROSSNIQ+) (cashregister9)
Please pick your top six from the above list for a ranked vote (1st place gets 6 points, 2nd gets 5, etc.) Since this is already an experimental job as is, you are allowed to rank your own submissions in any of your slots. The top six stages will enter the roster! Please see this post for specifics on stages.

Voting closes tomorrow afternoon. There will not be a new job today, but tomorrow will see a new fighter job. Please stay tuned!
----
Here are my votes:
  1. The Underground
  2. Lava Factory
  3. Nidhogg
  4. Cobalt Plataeus
  5. The Gungeon
  6. Slap Arena

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Yet again, I forgot to include the submission specifics list.

BABA (PUZZLE/PIXEL ART)

Stagestravaganza Submissions:
  • Toppat Ship(Henry Stickmin) - Space
    • The Soon-to-be Base of the Toppat Crew in an attempt to escape the government.
  • Hades - Underworld/Dungeon
    • The aptly named base of Zagreus and his father and will be based on the hub world.
  • Week Six(Friday Night Funkin') - Pixel Art
    • A Retro Style High School Sim like Doki Doki and Yandere Simulator and like both, it gets spoopy.
Pixel Art Stage: Lava Factory (Annalynn)

Holy cow, FazDude submitting Annalynn content? Who could have seen this coming?

In all seriousness, though, I think a stage based off this area in particular could be fun. I'd imagine it'd have a similar layout to what's pictured. This stage's main gimmick is provided by the Venom Brood, consisting of the snakes Randy, Handy, Candy, and Satan Mike. They would enter the stage through the doors seen in the image and deal damage upon contact. However, Blinding Rubies will appear on the top two platforms on occasion; Once picked up, a fighter gains the ability to kick the Venom Brood off-screen via touch, as well as increased attack power!

In short, it's pretty much Pac-Maze. And who doesn't love Pac-Maze?

Underground Stage: The Underground (UNDERTALE)

We already have Frisk as a fighter and Sans as an assist, but I don't think UNDERTALE representation is complete until we get a means to display its world and music. The Underground would do just that; It would begin in the Ruins, then transition to Snowdin, Waterfall, Hotland, and finally New Home before looping back to the Ruins. Assume some SAVE shenanigans are at play here.

Puzzle Game Stage: Cobalt Plateaeus (Angry Birds 2)

This stage is All-Star Strife's answer to Smash's Super Mario Maker stage. While the general layout remains the same, pig fortresses are randomly generated at the start of each match. While usually acting as walls, they can be toppled over by strong attacks or being launched into them, potentially creating a lot of chaos with the resulting debris (even if the actual falling down isn't as fluid as the source).

(this might just be my most self-indulgent set of submissions yet)
Job 101

Pixel Art

Miami (Hotline Miami)

This would take place on the menu screens of Hotline Miami or Hotline Miami 2

It would be a KOF Arena clone

Fighting Game

Slap Arena (Slap City)

It would appear how it does in that game

Puzzle Game

CROSSNIQ+ (CROSSNIQ+)

The stage would take place on top of the bars and icons of the game while a game of CROSSNIQ is played.

When a cross is made and you are in front of it you take damage

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. The Underground
2. Niddhog
3. Hades' Underworld
4. The Gungeon
5. Miami
6. Slap Arena

FazDude

Smash Master
Stagestravaganza has ended, and the results are in!

Here are our six stages that will be added:
  1. The Gungeon (Enter the Gungeon) ( Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer )
  2. The Hub (Hades) ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
  3. The Underground (UNDERTALE) (FazDude)
  4. Baba (Baba is You) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  5. Slap Arena (Slap City) ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
  6. Nidhogg (Nidhogg) (Infinity Sorcerer)
Overall, a ton of great submissions!
----
With that out of the way, it's back to business as usual!

Job 102: Submit a fighter whose name starts with the same letter that your username starts with!
For example, I, FazDude, could submit Frisk, Freddy Fazbear, or Fancy Pants Man. (Yeah, Frisk is already in the game, but I needed an example.) You might need to do some digging, but I bet we can get a bunch of cool fighters out of this!

(Also note that titles are counted as part of the name; For example, a user whose username starts with the letter M would be able to submit Mr. Hat.)

Job 103/104: Submit alternate costumes for Meat Boy and/or Fireboy & Watergirl!
Please describe 8 or 16 costumes for either or both (technically three) characters.

Submissions close tomorrow afternoon!

Job 102:
Terrarian (Terraria)

1652471918030.png

The protagonist of minecraft-inspired 2D indie game Terraria and he is a human that tries to survive in dangerous world filled with monsters and bosses like Moon Lord for example. His game's gameplay is similar to minecraft, but it's 2D and it feels like a retro game.

He would play similarly to Steve and he coud use moves based on weapons from his home game. He also could use blocks like Steve does in Smash and he could upgrade his gear & weapons as shield move.
One of final smash examples would be, where he could summon Cthutlu's eye to attack the opponents.

Since he starts with letter T, it makes sense to include him in Indie crossover game, given the fact that it's a game inspired by another indie game.

FazDude

Smash Master
Character Starting with F: Fancy Pants Man (Fancy Pants Adventures)

While he's no Dart Monkey, Fancy Pants happens to be another Flash character I have a certain nostalgia for, and I think he could make a cool "retro" rep.

Meat Boy Alts:
  1. Default
  2. Brown (Brownie)
  3. Black
  4. White
  5. Green
  6. Yellow
  7. Meat Ninja (model swap)
  8. Bandage Girl (model swap)
Fireboy & Watergirl Alts:
  1. Default (Red Fireboy, Blue Watergirl)
  2. Blue Fireboy, Red Watergirl
  3. Green Fireboy, Purple Watergirl
  4. Purple Fireboy, Green Watergirl
  5. Yellow Fireboy, Orange Watergirl
  6. Orange Fireboy, Yellow Watergirl
  7. White Fireboy, Black Watergirl
  8. Rainbow Fireboy & Watergirl

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Character with a name that starts with the letter as my username: QWOP

Today is one of those days where I had to dig really deep

QWOP is a lesser known sister game to Getting Over It as both have hard ways to move the character and are both named by Bennett Foddy. QWOP could use both moves from Getting Over It and QWOP

Top Bottom