• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Nah

Smash Champion
I think that if beating Game & Watch was truly as simple as "have a disjoint", people wouldn't be considering him for high or even top tier at this point. Even if it really is that simple, you still have better options than Byleth for your G&W counterpick.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Well speaking of buffed characters im the 7.0.0 Patch. Xcal :ulttoonlink: just beat Jw:ultgreninja: 3-1 at Frostfire to get into GF Winners side

UPDATE: Xcal :ulttoonlink: beat Blacktwins13 :ultpichu::ultmario: 3-2 to win Frostfire

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well I mean be can try to see Top-High Tier Byleth may actullay do good against. The only one I can think of is maybe :ultgnw:. Due to him stuggling in general with big disjoints and that he will die really,really early vs Byleths strongest attacks.
Byleth can also possibly deal well with G&W up-b since she has the range to be able to hit his sheild without having to worry about being hit by it.

Samsora was musing about picking up Byelth just for the G&W counterpick seeing as that MU has been the bane of his existence
:ultrosalina: Tall, lightweight and floaty. Floaty characters are easier for Byleth to match altitude with. Also a bona fide Luma killer with the range and power on Byleth's moves.

:ultpeach::ultdaisy: The positions the princesses want to be in to land their best combos tends to be in side b and and short hop fair range. They can pester from afar with veggies, but not fast enough to stop Byleth from approaching and they themselves don't move quite fast enough to easily slip past him.

:ultwolf: Wolf thrives on his mid-range game, a range that's exactly where Byleth wants to be. It will mostly come down to who is better and more patient at baiting.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How is the Byleth matchup Vs other sword characters, as :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultroy:? And maybe the likes of :ultlink:? I imagine :ultshulk: being terrible because of the Speed Monado Art alone. And how would they fare against other mid range fighters as :ultness:, :ultryu::ultken:, :ultsamus:? I'm sort of starting to think these wouldn't be too bad for Byleth either. Theoretically of course.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
On the subject of "previous buffs we can now say definitely mattered", I think Isabelle jab has to be towards the top.

Reference this VOD of kept vs. Zackray. kept's Villager is soundly 2-stocked by Zackray. But then his Isabelle goes 1-1, with kept making more mistakes than Zackray! And of the 5 KOs he gets against Zackray's Joker, 2 were the Jab-Dsmash kill confirm.

We're over here praising Doc for having a 5/27/-14 (startup/total/on-block) kill confirm, while Slingshot Satan is packing 3/19/-13. (-7 on multijab!) Look how much kept gets away with in that match because of how much Zackray has to respect that stupid jab. And the confirm works one-frame sooner if you have a KO projectile pocketed fyi.

The only thing keeping everyone from realizing how crazy Isabelle jab's confirms are the double execution barriers: You have to know the percents for each opponent, and you have to be able to do a frame-perfect (unbuffered) jab followup. Mess up on either, and you are doing a -28 d-smash into a shield.

Isabelle Lloid trap buff also mattered a ton, given how much of a joke that move was before.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
On the subject of "previous buffs we can now say definitely mattered", I think Isabelle jab has to be towards the top.

Reference this VOD of kept vs. Zackray. kept's Villager is soundly 2-stocked by Zackray. But then his Isabelle goes 1-1, with kept making more mistakes than Zackray! And of the 5 KOs he gets against Zackray's Joker, 2 were the Jab-Dsmash kill confirm.

We're over here praising Doc for having a 5/27/-14 (startup/total/on-block) kill confirm, while Slingshot Satan is packing 3/19/-13. (-7 on multijab!) Look how much kept gets away with in that match because of how much Zackray has to respect that stupid jab. And the confirm works one-frame sooner if you have a KO projectile pocketed fyi.

The only thing keeping everyone from realizing how crazy Isabelle jab's confirms are the double execution barriers: You have to know the percents for each opponent, and you have to be able to do a frame-perfect (unbuffered) jab followup. Mess up on either, and you are doing a -28 d-smash into a shield.

Isabelle Lloid trap buff also mattered a ton, given how much of a joke that move was before.
Both of those execution barriers have answers actually. The first being the thread I've linked before and keep in my signature which lists all percents the current jab combos into every move in her arsenal aside from uair, bair, Fishing Rod and dair although I haven't gone fully into accounting for rage for each character yet. For anyone curious, feel free to click here. As for the second barrier, unless it's been patched out, there's a way to buffer dsmash and presumably usmash and fsmash out of jab which this video mentions around 4:47:
That video was made back before Isabelle's jab was buffed so the percentages and such are outdated but the concepts such as being able to full hop or dash back still apply.

Oh and as for Isabelle's Pocket, it is one frame faster than dsmash most of the time (and it can be freely buffered since buffering B won't result in another jab) but there are some moves such as G&W's fair, Zelda's Phantom charges and Inkling's Splat Bomb which don't have a hitbox as soon as they're released from Pocket. Information on all Pocketable projectiles is also listed in my thread beside PTOSA which stands for Pocket Throw On Shield Advantage along with mentioning of if a projectile hitbox comes out later than usual.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
MkLeo just won a local going solo Byleth.

That said, Leo could probably win a local going Corrin or Little Mac.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
As for the second barrier, unless it's been patched out, there's a way to buffer dsmash and presumably usmash and fsmash out of jab which this video mentions around 4:47:
Unless I'm severely misunderstanding, this is not a way to buffer a smash (and no such method exists).

You can try it yourself--A+B smash inputs (regardless of previous button state) will execute an additional jab up until frame 19, and must be delayed until frame 20 to get your frame 20 smash. (Just like normal)

All this (holding A, pressing and releasing B, and pressing B again with A still held) is doing is changing the sensitive input to just a single button press, instead of a normal smash input or C-stick. This may be easier for some people to time. However, it does come at a cost--the total number of inputs you are doing is higher. You still have to press the stick down, and you now have to have pressed + depressed the B button an additional time in those 20 frames. It also fails if you accidentally release A.

If you ask me, I think this method is decently harder than inputting a smash either of the other ways. And since it still has to be frame-perfect, I don't see any real benefit.

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
MkLeo just won a local going solo Byleth.

That said, Leo could probably win a local going Corrin or Little Mac.
True, but he isn't the only one whose either won or placed high going solo Byleth. They are doing better than most of the DLC in their first week.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
True, but he isn't the only one whose either won or placed high going solo Byleth. They are doing better than most of the DLC in their first week.
I dunno, I feel like a character with poor mobility and bad frame data isn't going to be worth it competitively. Best we get would be being as good as Ike at the start of this game. I feel like Pink Fresh's win is also about not knowing the MU.

Nah

Smash Champion
So far all of these placings afaik brought up to say "hey look, byleth's actually really good!" have been top players stomping locals. Beating Javi is nothing to sneeze at of course, but we're also talking about the #1 player in the world against someone he's had a lot of experience with, playing a character no one's figured out how to fight yet because they're like a week old, that has a lot of raw kill power.

When several different Byleths start beating people where there isn't a large disparity in skill, when they overcome MUs that should be bad for her, then we can start talking about how/why we were all wrong about a character that should've obviously been nothing better than mid tier at best.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
So far all of these placings afaik brought up to say "hey look, byleth's actually really good!" have been top players stomping locals. Beating Javi is nothing to sneeze at of course, but we're also talking about the #1 player in the world against someone he's had a lot of experience with, playing a character no one's figured out how to fight yet because they're like a week old, that has a lot of raw kill power.

When several different Byleths start beating people where there isn't a large disparity in skill, when they overcome MUs that should be bad for her, then we can start talking about how/why we were all wrong about a character that should've obviously been nothing better than mid tier at best.
Ironically, we keep finding out that Byleth’s kit keeps punishing stuff that seems safe and can go even further with mix-ups and damage output without being super risky.

It turns out that playing the projectile/zoning game is actually great for Byleth as long you don’t have a reflector because their projectiles are faster than super sonic, travel at ridiculous distances, and are non-commitments because they can be canceled. It also means that Byelth’s edgegaurding, tech-chases, frame traps are more likely and that Byelth can mix up like a troll with this move. Their neutral-b is probably a top 10 projectile despite its long start up and reflector weakness. Byleth seems like the slowest character in the game with the most broken moves, yet doesn’t feel cheap or boring as Game and Watch. Another thing to note is that Byleth’s down-b is not useless, it’s the best punish move they can do from a shield break.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Nair is certainly better for Byleth than i anticipated. Hitbox aside, the jab lock setup off a nair (!!!, although tech away is better than vs Pika its still scary and makes the corner even scarier, unless youre close enough to DI off the stage... which still isnt great) is a great answer to how can she set up anything. And maybe im just slow / its a timing thing but that move feels like falco fair where the landing/last hitbox has a delay that is super useful.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think that if beating Game & Watch was truly as simple as "have a disjoint", people wouldn't be considering him for high or even top tier at this point. Even if it really is that simple, you still have better options than Byleth for your G&W counterpick.
It's not as simple as having a disjoint, but effectiveness against G&W seems tied to how honking big that disjoint is. And in this respect, Byleth is all above average.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
It's not as simple as having a disjoint, but effectiveness against G&W seems tied to how honking big that disjoint is. And in this respect, Byleth is all above average.
Byleth also can kill game and watch with an up-air at 70%.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
While this doesn't apply to most characters in Ultimate, with :ultgnw: and (to a degree) :ultmario: and :ultness: having a big disjoint can heavily affect the MU a lot more than you'd think although I think this more so applies to :ultgnw: since his frame data and air movement aren't the best so he can have trouble approaching at times.

On the topic of Byleth MUs, I don't think her MU spread against high and top tier will end up shaping out to be very good. I can see her doing OK against :ultgnw::ultness: and maybe :ultolimar:, but outside of them, everyone else will probably be even or losing MUs for Byleth. Most characters can either abuse her poor close range options (:ultpeach::ultmario::ultjoker::ultluigi::ultken:), run away from her (:ultbowser::ultsonic:), outcamp her (:ultyounglink::ultlink::ultsamus::ultsnake::ultpacman:), contest her range (:ultshulk:), edgeguard her (:ultpikachu::ultpichu:), or some combination of the three. Granted, some characters like :ultluigi: and :ultken: may have trouble approaching, but Byleth will have the same problem against them so as long as they can land a hit, they should be able to do fine.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
While this doesn't apply to most characters in Ultimate, with :ultgnw: and (to a degree) :ultmario: and :ultness: having a big disjoint can heavily affect the MU a lot more than you'd think although I think this more so applies to :ultgnw: since his frame data and air movement aren't the best so he can have trouble approaching at times.

On the topic of Byleth MUs, I don't think her MU spread against high and top tier will end up shaping out to be very good. I can see her doing OK against :ultgnw::ultness: and maybe :ultolimar:, but outside of them, everyone else will probably be even or losing MUs for Byleth. Most characters can either abuse her poor close range options (:ultpeach::ultmario::ultjoker::ultluigi::ultken:), run away from her (:ultbowser::ultsonic:), outcamp her (:ultyounglink::ultlink::ultsamus::ultsnake::ultpacman:), contest her range (:ultshulk:), edgeguard her (:ultpikachu::ultpichu:), or some combination of the three. Granted, some characters like :ultluigi: and :ultken: may have trouble approaching, but Byleth will have the same problem against them so as long as they can land a hit, they should be able to do fine.
Byleth’s nair and jab are legitimately way better than any of the swordies fast close-range options. Plus, they are actually supposed to use nair in neutral to start combos, deep edgegaurding, drag downs, shield pressure, sheild poking, and tech situations. They also seem the most consistent at combos than any of the swordies, making Bowser a punching bag.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Two of the GnW players I follow - ParaCane and Snickeldorf - listed the match-up as even and a slight advantage for GnW respectively.

Range is definitely important, but I feel like Byleth is too deficient in many other key areas (start-up/end lag, air/ground movement, burst options) that are needed to keep :ultgnw: out super well, compared to the likes of say, :ultpalutena:or :ultzss:.

I could be wrong, though, the only GnW-Byleth gameplay we have to work off is MKLeo’s online sets against Nairo, which isn’t exactly the same thing as an offline experience lol.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Early impressions painted the picture of a very vertical Byleth (up-b/up-air/up-smash). But this was a red herring. Byleth's a bit too slow to play the juggle game indefinitely, and up-b has a host of problems. Horizontal Byleth by comparison ends up being better than expected. Somehow, Byleth's ledgetrapping is actually much better than it looked--and it already looked pretty good! f-smash kills as early as 30-40 with near impunity against most of the cast, and at higher percents those who can punish f-smash have to worry about side-b/f-air/b-air too, which together cover every option several times over.

"Top 5 ledgetrapping game" would probably be pretty accurate--Byleth's up there with Piranha Plant as the best DLC ledgetrapper (and DLC characters are all great at ledgetrapping; this was the case even in S4).

Release Byleth also has one other important attribute that we didn't see from trailer Byleth: killing from neutral. f-air and b-air kill raw from across the stage. These are safe-on-shield moves with enormous range we're talking about--neutral staples! side-b and up-smash are heavier commitments, but some of the best options in the game bar none at calling out a jumping opponent. Essentially, if Byleth gets you to kill percent, he's got the lead. Most characters in the game would kill for this very top-tier quality.

So advantage-state Byleth turns out to look like a top 20 character.

On the flip side, Byleth's landing game features just one pretty good option: f6 n-air that curves under, simulating a d-air. The rest is pretty poor. Airdodge is slow, and overall air mobility is poor. Typically slower airdodges are paired with good air mobility--for example, Peach's airdodge is atrocious, but her air mobility is top tier. Among swordies, Byleth's air dodge is way worse than Chrom's and Roy's, ~4 frames worse than Cloud's, and 3 frames better than Lucina's--but all of these characters have better mobility. Comparisons to Ganondorf are apt; Ganon's n-air offers worse coverage below, but if you have even a few frames to drift to the side it can beat way more moves, and is more threatening than Byleth n-air.

Byleth probably has a bottom 10 disadvantage state.

The advantage and disadvantage states are so polarizing that "how good is Byleth?" will depend entirely on the evolution of Byleth's neutral. Will conditioning for f-air/b-air hits work once characters stop jumping? What can you punish with dash attack? How will parrying affect his aerials? I don't know the answers to these questions right now. I'm leaning toward "neutral game is alright; average, probably," which would make Byleth overall pretty average, or maybe slightly below.

I disagree with B BlackInk that n-air and jab are "way better than swordies fast close-range options." As far as swordsman normals in close range go, Byleth's are middle of the pack. Better than some options but clearly worse than others:
  • Chrom and Roy jab is only 1 frame slower than Byleth jab 1 but have more reach, disjoint, and safety (Chrom by 5 frames, Roy by 3-6); their jabs are immensely threatening, leading into aerials and kills. d-tilt also essentially functions as close-ranged for them (and leads into even more!)
  • Corrin n-air is just as fast as Byleth's n-air but covers both in front of and behind her simultaneously, while also being safer on shield; Byleth's n-air covers in front on f6, but doesn't hit behind until frame 10-11. This means frame 13-14 OOS.
  • Ike's jab1 has almost the same frame data as Byleth--4f startup, -15 on shield, active on 4-5. It lasts 1 frame longer but jab2 starts 1 frame earlier to compensate.
  • Marth and Lucina have their wickedly strong f5 OOS Dolphin Slash (less general applicability than Byleth n-air but faster, kills, and invulnerable f4-5; 1-4 if already in the air). Jab1 has slightly worse framedata but has more range and disjoint, even being able to cover aerials; the transition to jab2 is way better. Their n-air is equally fast; the hitbox is better in some situations compared to Byleth n-air, and worse in others, but it's safer on shield.
  • Cloud has Climhazzard OOS, which is probably the best thing on this list. n-air is 1 frame faster, and better for hitting opponents directly above/behind Cloud than Byleth's n-air.
  • Link can have item toss situationally and one of the best n-airs (safe on shield when spaced; not so unsafe when unspaced!)
  • Samus isn't a swordie, but plays like one in some matchups; her jab1 is better on paper (though weak in practice), and she has f4 up-b OOS and Charge Shot to threaten all manner of death combos up close (half-charge shot -> f-smash; small shot -> d-smash; etc).
It turns out that playing the projectile/zoning game is actually great for Byleth as long you don’t have a reflector because their projectiles are faster than super sonic, travel at ridiculous distances, and are non-commitments because they can be canceled. It also means that Byelth’s edgegaurding, tech-chases, frame traps are more likely and that Byelth can mix up like a troll with this move. Their neutral-b is probably a top 10 projectile despite its long start up and reflector weakness.
You're talking about a frame 45 move. For comparison to another top projectile, Wolf's blaster ends on f52; Byleth's uncharged arrow ends on f80. That's 28 frames later.

But what if you choose to cancel it? The earliest you can shield cancel is f21. Dropping shield is going to take at minimum another 11 frames, 9 if Byleth chooses to OOS n-air. That means that the earliest that Byleth can do anything is f31-33. That's a guaranteed half second of movement you've just given your opponent while you've committed to doing nothing, not even short hopping.

Fully charged arrow is 114 frames, by the way, almost 2 whole seconds. You'll be able to react to this even when you're 70 years old.

To the move's credit, it's pretty safe on shield. It's certainly not the worst projectile in the game; it has uses in advantage and when canceled in the air. But top 10 projectile in the game? I can't see it.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
MkLeo made a tier list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ISJS1nKQc

Some notes: Top tier: Peach/Daisy the best, Pikachu #2, Joker #3, Wario #4, Zero Suit Samus #5, Pokémon Trianer #6, Mr. Game & Watch #7, Pac-Man #8, Palutena #9, Inkling #10, Mario #11, Lucina #12.

In high tier, we see characters like Hero, Ryu, Ken, Terry, Cloud, Bowser, Samus/Dark Samus, Diddy Kong, Marth, Yoshi, and all the Links.

In mid tier, we see Byleth, Ridley, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Ganondorf. Bowser Jr. also manages to snag a spot in mid tier.

Low tier and "Worse than low tier" doesn't seem to have anything too surprising. Both Corrin and Pit in bottom 5, something that might've seen surprising on release but now isn't really.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Some notes: Top tier: Peach/Daisy the best, Pikachu #2, Pikachu #3, Wario #4, Zero Suit Samus #5, Pokémon Trianer #6, Mr. Game & Watch #7, Pac-Man #8, Palutena #9, Inkling #10, Mario #11, Lucina #12.

In high tier, we see characters like Hero, Ryu, Ken, Terry, Cloud, Bowser, Samus/Dark Samus, Diddy Kong, Marth, Yoshi, and all the Links.

In mid tier, we see Byleth, Ridley, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Ganondorf. Bowser Jr. also manages to snag a spot in mid tier.

Low tier and "Worse than low tier" doesn't seem to have anything too surprising. Both Corrin and Pit in bottom 5, something that might've seen surprising on release but now isn't really.
You put Pikachu twice, one for second and one for third. Pretty sure third is Joker.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I don't get why players make already tier-lists for 7.0.
We don't even had Frostbite yet.

But at the C-tiers that happened this weekend, every buffed character made at least one-two Top 8 appearances except Dr. Mario, some have even won the tournament (:ulttoonlink::ultcloud:). (Was the tournament Sparg0 won a B-tier?)

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Some notes: Top tier: Peach/Daisy the best, Pikachu #2, Pikachu #3, Wario #4, Zero Suit Samus #5, Pokémon Trianer #6, Mr. Game & Watch #7, Pac-Man #8, Palutena #9, Inkling #10, Mario #11, Lucina #12.

Some rather odd placements, such as :ultfalcon::ultfalco::ultduckhunt: being ranked that low in mid tier (Falcon lower than Bowser Jr.?), :ultganondorf: in lower mid tier instead of low tier, :ultlucas: being ranked literally next to :ultness:, and :ulthero: in high tier.

Overall, the list seems alright overall, but it also has some placements that peak my interest.

The first thing is the recent trend of people putting :ultkirby: higher than :ultjigglypuff:. I believed that this was the case long ago imo, mainly due to him obtaining more results than Puff (who continues to stagnate), but also his buffs being more helpful to Kirby to address his weaknesses than were Puff's buffs. People were convinced for a long time that Puff was going to be much better thanks to 6.0, but not much has changed since then.

The other thing is his optimism with Byleth, as well as :ultcloud: and :ultzelda: after the buffs. He has been grinding Byleth for a long time now, and the latter two has so far put their buffs to good use (maybe not Zelda yet, but Zelda's results were already decent prior to the buffs).

(Was the tournament Sparg0 won a B-tier?)
It was C tier.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Some rather odd placements, such as :ultfalcon::ultfalco::ultduckhunt: being ranked that low in mid tier (Falcon lower than Bowser Jr.?), :ultganondorf: in lower mid tier instead of low tier, :ultlucas: being ranked literally next to :ultness:, and :ulthero: in high tier.

Overall, the list seems alright overall, but it also has some placements that peak my interest.

The first thing is the recent trend of people putting :ultkirby: higher than :ultjigglypuff:. I believed that this was the case long ago imo, mainly due to him obtaining more results than Puff (who continues to stagnate), but also his buffs being more helpful to Kirby to address his weaknesses than were Puff's buffs. People were convinced for a long time that Puff was going to be much better thanks to 6.0, but not much has changed since then.

The other thing is his optimism with Byleth, as well as :ultcloud: and :ultzelda: after the buffs. He has been grinding Byleth for a long time now, and the latter two has so far put their buffs to good use (maybe not Zelda yet, but Zelda's results were already decent prior to the buffs).

It was C tier.
To be fair, I think he said mid tier was unordered, so he probably doesn't think :ultganondorf:is better than :ultduckhunt:. Also, at the end he dropped :ultness: and :ultlucas:down into mid tier, saying he thinks they're on the cusp of being high tier.

And you're right about the :ultkirby: buffs. Jesuischoq got 2nd at a PGR event with him, even beating many prominent French players like Leon and Glutonny (though the later beat him 6-0 in GF). Even Ferretkuma is performing better thanks to the buffs. I definitely think Kirby can no longer be a contender for worst character in the game thanks to these results and buffs.

Firox

Smash Master

Some notes: Top tier: Peach/Daisy the best, Pikachu #2, Joker #3, Wario #4, Zero Suit Samus #5, Pokémon Trianer #6, Mr. Game & Watch #7, Pac-Man #8, Palutena #9, Inkling #10, Mario #11, Lucina #12.

I can't seem to open the link on my computer. Could someone tell me where Wolf and Greninja landed on MKLeo's tier list?

Nah

Smash Champion
btw NairWizard NairWizard you don't actually have to bring up shield to cancel Byleth neutral B, you can cancel it with a jump or just by tapping shield, like you can with some of the store-able projectiles

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Early impressions painted the picture of a very vertical Byleth (up-b/up-air/up-smash). But this was a red herring. Byleth's a bit too slow to play the juggle game indefinitely, and up-b has a host of problems. Horizontal Byleth by comparison ends up being better than expected. Somehow, Byleth's ledgetrapping is actually much better than it looked--and it already looked pretty good! f-smash kills as early as 30-40 with near impunity against most of the cast, and at higher percents those who can punish f-smash have to worry about side-b/f-air/b-air too, which together cover every option several times over.

"Top 5 ledgetrapping game" would probably be pretty accurate--Byleth's up there with Piranha Plant as the best DLC ledgetrapper (and DLC characters are all great at ledgetrapping; this was the case even in S4).

Release Byleth also has one other important attribute that we didn't see from trailer Byleth: killing from neutral. f-air and b-air kill raw from across the stage. These are safe-on-shield moves with enormous range we're talking about--neutral staples! side-b and up-smash are heavier commitments, but some of the best options in the game bar none at calling out a jumping opponent. Essentially, if Byleth gets you to kill percent, he's got the lead. Most characters in the game would kill for this very top-tier quality.

So advantage-state Byleth turns out to look like a top 20 character.

On the flip side, Byleth's landing game features just one pretty good option: f6 n-air that curves under, simulating a d-air. The rest is pretty poor. Airdodge is slow, and overall air mobility is poor. Typically slower airdodges are paired with good air mobility--for example, Peach's airdodge is atrocious, but her air mobility is top tier. Among swordies, Byleth's air dodge is way worse than Chrom's and Roy's, ~4 frames worse than Cloud's, and 3 frames better than Lucina's--but all of these characters have better mobility. Comparisons to Ganondorf are apt; Ganon's n-air offers worse coverage below, but if you have even a few frames to drift to the side it can beat way more moves, and is more threatening than Byleth n-air.

Byleth probably has a bottom 10 disadvantage state.

The advantage and disadvantage states are so polarizing that "how good is Byleth?" will depend entirely on the evolution of Byleth's neutral. Will conditioning for f-air/b-air hits work once characters stop jumping? What can you punish with dash attack? How will parrying affect his aerials? I don't know the answers to these questions right now. I'm leaning toward "neutral game is alright; average, probably," which would make Byleth overall pretty average, or maybe slightly below.

I disagree with B BlackInk that n-air and jab are "way better than swordies fast close-range options." As far as swordsman normals in close range go, Byleth's are middle of the pack. Better than some options but clearly worse than others:
  • Chrom and Roy jab is only 1 frame slower than Byleth jab 1 but have more reach, disjoint, and safety (Chrom by 5 frames, Roy by 3-6); their jabs are immensely threatening, leading into aerials and kills. d-tilt also essentially functions as close-ranged for them (and leads into even more!)
  • Corrin n-air is just as fast as Byleth's n-air but covers both in front of and behind her simultaneously, while also being safer on shield; Byleth's n-air covers in front on f6, but doesn't hit behind until frame 10-11. This means frame 13-14 OOS.
  • Ike's jab1 has almost the same frame data as Byleth--4f startup, -15 on shield, active on 4-5. It lasts 1 frame longer but jab2 starts 1 frame earlier to compensate.
  • Marth and Lucina have their wickedly strong f5 OOS Dolphin Slash (less general applicability than Byleth n-air but faster, kills, and invulnerable f4-5; 1-4 if already in the air). Jab1 has slightly worse framedata but has more range and disjoint, even being able to cover aerials; the transition to jab2 is way better. Their n-air is equally fast; the hitbox is better in some situations compared to Byleth n-air, and worse in others, but it's safer on shield.
  • Cloud has Climhazzard OOS, which is probably the best thing on this list. n-air is 1 frame faster, and better for hitting opponents directly above/behind Cloud than Byleth's n-air.
  • Link can have item toss situationally and one of the best n-airs (safe on shield when spaced; not so unsafe when unspaced!)
  • Samus isn't a swordie, but plays like one in some matchups; her jab1 is better on paper (though weak in practice), and she has f4 up-b OOS and Charge Shot to threaten all manner of death combos up close (half-charge shot -> f-smash; small shot -> d-smash; etc).

You're talking about a frame 45 move. For comparison to another top projectile, Wolf's blaster ends on f52; Byleth's uncharged arrow ends on f80. That's 28 frames later.

But what if you choose to cancel it? The earliest you can shield cancel is f21. Dropping shield is going to take at minimum another 11 frames, 9 if Byleth chooses to OOS n-air. That means that the earliest that Byleth can do anything is f31-33. That's a guaranteed half second of movement you've just given your opponent while you've committed to doing nothing, not even short hopping.

Fully charged arrow is 114 frames, by the way, almost 2 whole seconds. You'll be able to react to this even when you're 70 years old.

To the move's credit, it's pretty safe on shield. It's certainly not the worst projectile in the game; it has uses in advantage and when canceled in the air. But top 10 projectile in the game? I can't see it.
You are not thinking correctly. Byleth’s nair is better because the multi hits actually do combo into other moves and provide way more rewards more consistently than any of the swordies. By landing the nair, they will get a crap ton of damage on whoever is hit, some kill confirms, tech chases, blah blah. The important part is that their nair helps to boost up their rewards much higher than than a couple of pokes (do I have to mention that missing the nair doesn’t leave Byleth vulnerable as Lucina’s up-b and covers the area above and below them?)

Their neutral-b also only starts slow but isn’t predictable as you expect at first glance because the release is far faster than any projectile in the game and it helps a lot on being very dishonest on offstage/landing/camping opponents since you can release it early, not use it at all (which punishes approaches), or hold on to the charge after conditioning the opponent to dodge (as Byleth’s nuetral-b is fast enough to punish the lag). You’re thinking too much about start lag and end lag frame data instead of the big picture that makes this move far more practical for sniping (which is fantastic since the rewards for landing the move are outrageous).

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Okay first, obviously [Top Player] winning [Local Event] with anyone isn't a big data point. But as far as Byleth is concerned, it's still non-trivially--confirmatory if nothing else. (If top players had been getting 4th, that would be a data point, so getting 1st as expected is still meaningful.)

You are not thinking correctly. Byleth’s nair is better because the multi hits actually do combo into other moves
Do they...?

and provide way more rewards more consistently than any of the swordies. By landing the nair, they will get a crap ton of damage on whoever is hit, some kill confirms, tech chases, blah blah.
We're talking about Byleth nair, right?

The important part is that their nair helps to boost up their rewards much higher than than a couple of pokes
Byleth nair does 10.5% and hits people away on landing. Fair and bair tippers do 12.75%/15% and force the target horizontally, where they may be subject to her A+ ledgetrapping game.

(do I have to mention that missing the nair doesn’t leave Byleth vulnerable as Lucina’s up-b and covers the area above and below them?)
No, you don't have to mention that a nair is safer than Lucina's up-b. SolidSense listed it in a comprehensive look at other sword character's (superior) OoS options, but these moves have basically nothing in common.

Their neutral-b also only starts slow but isn’t predictable as you expect at first glance because the release is far faster than any projectile in the game
What? Failnaught is 45f startup.

:ultfalco: 8f
:ultvillager: 10f (aerial)
:ultsheik: 11f
:ultryu: 12f
:ultyounglink: 14f/27f
:ultwolf: 16f
:ultpit: 16f
:ultsamus: 16f/18f/21f
:ultmario: 17f
:ultcloud: 18f
:ultpikachu: 19f
:ultgreninja: 20f
:ultlucas: 21f
:ultpalutena: 24/28f
:ultrob: 25f
Byleth: 45f

I'm going to assume to meant that Failnaught's arrow moves faster than other projectiles, which is 100% true and does help mask the slow startup a bit. It's strong and very long range, so people do have to respect it.

The ability to cancel as soon as f21 (through f44) is what makes the move good/useable, combined with Byleth's general range game that makes that an acceptably safe amount. Shielding Failnaught is a losing proposition, so it's parry, rush, or jump, and Byleth likes it when you jump. It's not a game-changer, but it's a useful tool. f21 is lower commitment than it takes pretty much anyone else to threaten you with a projectile; it reminds me of Phantom a bit.

and it helps a lot on being very dishonest on offstage/landing/camping opponents since you can release it early, not use it at all (which punishes approaches), or hold on to the charge after conditioning the opponent to dodge (as Byleth’s nuetral-b is fast enough to punish the lag).
Bruh, Failnaught 2 comes out on frame 114; that's 69 frames after the initial charge window.

Fast enough to punish the lag of spot dodge? Mate, you could spot dodge three times in that window. You could Ganon u-tilt in that window.

(Incidentally I wanted the move to work that way, and even posted here and privately before release that the 2nd charge would be valuable if it caught spot dodge. But well, she's out now, and it doesn't--not even close.)

We need to reframe. There's no "release it early"--that's just releasing it normally. Failnaught 2 is projectile Warlock Punch, and has zero relevance to experienced 1v1s.

You’re thinking too much about start lag and end lag frame data instead of the big picture that makes this move far more practical for sniping (which is fantastic since the rewards for landing the move are outrageous).
There are competent, experienced players offering genuine high-level perspective dissecting the real strengths of Byleth, and using concrete numbers to communicate in clear, non-subjective ways. You are over here talking about punishing dodges with Failnaught 2. Disengage your current mentality, re-read SolidSense's posts, and go master SH fair with Byleth.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

I'm sorry to just point out one thing in all of this but did somebody just claim Byleth gets the most reward off of Nair out of the swordies?

Did somebody forget Ike exists? You know, the Nair that combos into itself or Uair or Fair or Bair for kills or mad damage + stage control? While being fairly safe on shield?

I'm pretty sure Shulk can do some nutty things with Nair as well. Its great that Byleth's Nair isn't literal hot trash or Pit Nair Version 0.5 and all of that but its still a rather precise and picky Nair that's lacking a bit in range compared to what you'd expect from it visually.

Maybe a bit less hypetrain?

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
So, all of Byleth's stats are on Ultimate Frame Data and it's not looking good.

• 76th fastest air acceleration.
  • Tied for 34th for weight (97, tied with Luigi and Shulk)
  • 76th fastest walk speed.
  • Tied for 75th in run speed (same as Zelda)
  • Below average initial dash (tied with Villager and Robin)
  • 75th fastest air speed.
So yeah, now that all of the official values for Byleths stats are out... yikes. Possibly the worst overall mobility in the game outside of Incineroar and at least he has the weight to back it up.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Failnaught has a really interesting relationship with Reflectors.

It's basically impossible to surprise anyone with Failnaught--any human could react to it and get a reflector out by frame 45 if they so choose. And yeah, if Failnaught is reflected, Byleth is getting a lot of pain. But Byleth can cancel Failnaught so generously, that she is likely to come out ahead on anyone who comitted to their reflector. I posted a list of Reflector commitment times, which is not directly Byleth's advantage in this situation but gives you a rough idea.

Of course, if you do accidentally lock into Failnaught 2, the following characters just delete Byleth from the game:
:ultdoc::ultfalco::ultfox::ulthero:*:ultjoker:*:ultkrool::ultmario::ultmewtwo::ultswordfighter:*:ultgunner:*:ultpalutena::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultwolf::ultzelda:

These get their respective gimmicks activated:
:ultjoker::ultincineroar::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultness:

...and these characters can also get a very potent Counter (or similar) if they can, in 2 seconds, just make it into melee range.
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultbrawler:*:ultshulk::ultroy::ultchrom:

Note that these guys can't actually do anything special with Failnaught 2, since it's purely a hitbox:
:ultisabelle::ultkingdedede::ultrosalina::ultvillager:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
“You are over here talking about punishing dodges with Failnaught 2. Disengage your current mentality, re-read SolidSense's posts, and go master SH fair with Byleth.”
What? I didn’t even say anything a damn thing about failnaught 2. It’s a charging projectile, failnaught 2 is just the max charge of the move and it’s not even necessary to use in order to get kills off from failnaught.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
you can release it early, not use it at all (which punishes approaches), or hold on to the charge after conditioning the opponent to dodge (as Byleth’s nuetral-b is fast enough to punish the lag).
I interpretted this list of 3:
  1. Release Failnaught 1
  2. Cancel out of Failnaught 1
  3. Hold the charge until Failnaught 2
If you meant:
  1. Cancel out of Failnaught 1
  2. Just not use Failnaught entirely
  3. Hold the charge until Failnaught 1
...then that makes more sense, but is still wrong. Failnaught 1, like any 45f startup move, is not going to be punishing a 25-frame spotdodge. It would also be counterintuitive to call cancelling a move "release" (which is how you described projectile speed earlier?), and weird to refer to not-doing-a-move as "punishes approaches."

Ultimately, Failnaught 1 serves a similar purpose as Zelda Phantom--"You can deal with this however you want, but you can't do nothing." Like Zelda, that's all Byleth truly wants anyway.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Nah Nah Thanks for the correction!

Nidtendofreak Nidtendofreak I think he's only talking about n-airs OOS, but even then it's hard for me to see Byleth as having the most rewarding OOS/close-range game.

Thinkaman Thinkaman Thanks for the reply post, saved me a lot of typing. +1 to everything you said (though worth noting that I think Zelda Phantom is much better for what it does).

On the last point, I think what he means is:
1. Fire Failnaught 1 as early as possible, i.e., f45
2. Cancel out of the move on f21 or beyond
3. Fire Failnaught 1 after f45 but before it becomes Failnaught 2

But this interpretation implies that B BlackInk misunderstood the mechanics of the move. Evidenced also by:

"It’s a charging projectile, failnaught 2 is just the max charge of the move and it’s not even necessary to use in order to get kills off from failnaught. "

It's not a charging projectile like Samus Charge Shot or Lucario Aura Sphere. It has only two levels of charge. Failnaught 1, or Failnaught 2. No matter what, Failnaught 1 will release on frame 45. Failnaught 2 will release on frame 114.

There is no in between, such as Failnaught 1 releasing on frame 60 to punish a spotdodge. If you stop holding B on frame 15, you're going to fire on frame 45. If you stop holding B on frame 42, you're going to fire on frame 45. If you've passed frame 45, and you stop holding B, you're going to fire on frame 114, no matter what.

Don't think of it as a charge. Think of it as two different moves (similar to the two versions of Samus' side-b), the second of which will never be used.

So either you fire exactly on frame 45, or you cancel. That's it, that's the mixup. Alright as far as mixups go, but not neutral-defining in any sense.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Nah Nah Thanks for the correction!

Nidtendofreak Nidtendofreak I think he's only talking about n-airs OOS, but even then it's hard for me to see Byleth as having the most rewarding OOS/close-range game.

Thinkaman Thinkaman Thanks for the reply post, saved me a lot of typing. +1 to everything you said (though worth noting that I think Zelda Phantom is much better for what it does).

On the last point, I think what he means is:
1. Fire Failnaught 1 as early as possible, i.e., f45
2. Cancel out of the move on f21 or beyond
3. Fire Failnaught 1 after f45 but before it becomes Failnaught 2

But this interpretation implies that B BlackInk misunderstood the mechanics of the move. Evidenced also by:

"It’s a charging projectile, failnaught 2 is just the max charge of the move and it’s not even necessary to use in order to get kills off from failnaught. "

It's not a charging projectile like Samus Charge Shot or Lucario Aura Sphere. It has only two levels of charge. Failnaught 1, or Failnaught 2. No matter what, Failnaught 1 will release on frame 45. Failnaught 2 will release on frame 114.

There is no in between, such as Failnaught 1 releasing on frame 60 to punish a spotdodge. If you stop holding B on frame 15, you're going to fire on frame 45. If you stop holding B on frame 42, you're going to fire on frame 45. If you've passed frame 45, and you stop holding B, you're going to fire on frame 114, no matter what.

Don't think of it as a charge. Think of it as two different moves (similar to the two versions of Samus' side-b), the second of which will never be used.

So either you fire exactly on frame 45, or you cancel. That's it, that's the mixup. Alright as far as mixups go, but not neutral-defining in any sense.
As someone who formally played Zelda, Byelth neutral-b is better because you can cancel it into a defensive option (sheild, nair, or fair). Zelda has to commit hard when she uses the phantom and she can’t troll people with cancellations.

NairWizard

Somewhere
As someone who formally played Zelda, Byelth neutral-b is better because you can cancel it into a defensive option (sheild, nair, or fair). Zelda has to commit hard when she uses the phantom and she can’t troll people with cancellations.
It takes a lot to get me frustrated, but repeatedly half-reasoning based on selective reading does the trick. If this is an attempt to troll (and I can no longer tell, genuinely), it's in really poor taste. If you are being genuine, then where are we mis-communicating, exactly? What parts of the previous posts (mine and Thinkaman's) do you agree with? Are our interpretations of what you intended correct or have we missed something? It'd be nice if you gave us more to work with. I don't intend to be hostile; I'd like to have a frank discussion without bias.

Last edited:

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
So, Frostbite is this month. Anyone know the tiering of the event? I suspect S Tier, but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, I'm sorry, I am going to have to strongly disargee that Failnaught is better than Phantom. Phantom bodyblocks projectles, Zelda does not have to commit like Byleth does, she can release it fast, it's strong, it two frames, Zelda is free to move around and threaten with 50/50 scenarios, and while he can't cancel it into a defenseive option, she can, you know, release it almost instantly and lose pretty much nothing as it either hits the opponent, or forces them to shield/spotdodge as it covers jumps and if it doesn't cover the jump, they were probably trying to land and you shouldn't have used it in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom