• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Leffen has been going through a little bit of a character crisis and has said he might switch to Wolf after Genesis. Living in Sweden and not getting as many opportunities to practice matchups, Pokémon Trainer is a lot more work without an obvious payoff. Charizard also could use a tweak or two.
Because Pokemon Trainer is only good at best, and the amount of effort required to play the character doesn't match the reward.

:ultivysaur: carries the other two hard, :ultsquirtle: is a Sheik in a game where Sheik's are only OK and :ultcharizard: tools are slow/committal in a game where most tools do not share a heavy commitment (lethal OOS though!)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Leffen has been going through a little bit of a character crisis and has said he might switch to Wolf after Genesis. Living in Sweden and not getting as many opportunities to practice matchups, Pokémon Trainer is a lot more work without an obvious payoff. Charizard also could use a tweak or two.
I like the pre Gensis johns coming out of Leffen. If he wants the practice against high level pros move to the US. Unless there's some valid reason for him not to be able to move.

As for Robin I don't really understand why he's do slow. A better run speed would help him out. I also feel like his specials should be a bit better than they are currently. Since you can get locked out of them for durations they should be stronger to compensate. Makes no sense for him to lose abilities and they not be overwhelming.

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
I like the pre Gensis johns coming out of Leffen. If he wants the practice against high level pros move to the US. Unless there's some valid reason for him not to be able to move.

As for Robin I don't really understand why he's do slow. A better run speed would help him out. I also feel like his specials should be a bit better than they are currently. Since you can get locked out of them for durations they should be stronger to compensate. Makes no sense for him to lose abilities and they not be overwhelming.
Robin is in the giant clump of not-great Smash 4 characters that remain not great, despite getting a bunch of the roster-wide changes. They're definitely on the short list of who should get some love in 2.0.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Robin is in the giant clump of not-great Smash 4 characters that remain not great, despite getting a bunch of the roster-wide changes. They're definitely on the short list of who should get some love in 2.0.
I kinda feel like Robin is like Ultimate version of brawl Zelda. I'd really like to hear what they were going for with his design.

ProfessorVincent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alexim
3DS FC
2105-8719-2070
Matches like these really should be streamed. I understand why these players shouldn't be competing for money, but I don't see why they aren't constantly streaming or something. They're all beloved players of underrepresented characters.

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
who do you think need buffs? (for me it's :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf: and maybe :ultlittlemac:)
The clear list of low-tier characters that need buffs:

:ultrobin: Start with Levin sword, please. Just... why? I don't get it. The ammo system is already a limitation that is justified for only two of the moves, IMO (Levin and Nosferatu).

:ultlittlemac: He's just totally ****ed. No buffs will save him.

:ultkirby: Needs a significant damage buff to compensate for his sluggish air speed. Characters like Ness got massive damage boosts across the board to compensate for their notable other weaknesses, but Kirby remains too weak to justify his problems.

:ultduckhunt: Their projectiles are nifty, but the hitboxes on their normal attacks is so ridiculously small without any other upside to them.

:ultbowserjr: Kart needs more super armor. He has a ton of really bad matchups on characters and stages due to how many fast projectiles break his kart's armor. "Young Link hiding under a platform" is pure nightmare fuel for the Koopalings.

:ultrosalina::ulticeclimbers: Puppets have problems, and not a lot of reason to justify them. Their strengths are too niche.

Characters like :ultcorrin: aren't great, but aren't totally dire like the above.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
If iirc the professional playtesters aren't banned from competing, they all choose not to compete for a while due to the advantage they would have over others by being prerelease (and possibly post release) playtesters. After a while has passed (it's only been a month and a few weeks since Ultimate came out) I would expect them to start competing.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Because Pokemon Trainer is only good at best, and the amount of effort required to play the character doesn't match the reward.

:ultivysaur: carries the other two hard, :ultsquirtle: is a Sheik in a game where Sheik's are only OK and :ultcharizard: tools are slow/committal in a game where most tools do not share a heavy commitment (lethal OOS though!)

Yea :ultivysaur: is the only one out of the PT trio that I fear at times. Razor Leaf is almost as strong and abusable projectile as :ultwolf:blaster , not to mention all its huge hitboxes and disjointed buttons that can make most swordies envious. I honestly think Ivysaur could be easily high-tier, maybe even top-tier if it was a solo character

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
The clear list of low-tier characters that need buffs:

:ultrobin: Start with Levin sword, please. Just... why? I don't get it. The ammo system is already a limitation that is justified for only two of the moves, IMO (Levin and Nosferatu).

:ultlittlemac: He's just totally ****ed. No buffs will save him.

:ultkirby: Needs a significant damage buff to compensate for his sluggish air speed. Characters like Ness got massive damage boosts across the board to compensate for their notable other weaknesses, but Kirby remains too weak to justify his problems.

:ultmetaknight: His specials leaving him prone is totally ridiculous, and makes him a high-skill character without any real reward.

:ultduckhunt: Their projectiles are nifty, but the hitboxes on their normal attacks is so ridiculously small without any other upside to them.

:ultbowserjr: Kart needs more super armor. He has a ton of really bad matchups on characters and stages due to how many fast projectiles break his kart's armor. "Young Link hiding under a platform" is pure nightmare fuel for the Koopalings.

:ultrosalina::ulticeclimbers: Puppets have problems, and not a lot of reason to justify them. Their strengths are too niche.

Characters like :ultcorrin: aren't great, but aren't totally dire like the above.
First of all, you are labeling characters randomly off as low tier. While characters like Kirby and Mac are more widely agreed to be in the lower end of the tier list, putting characters like MK and DH as low tier is more controversial.

:ultrobin: Yeah. The Levin Sword change is kinda uncalled for. While annoying, I wouldn't really call Robin a character that desperately needs buffs, especially giving his rewarding moves and high learning curve.

:ultlittlemac: The main issue with Mac is that his grounded jump doesn't reach the lower platform of stages. This causes him to be bodied by stage counterpick. A simple fix to that is already a huge boon to him. Giving back a few of his grounded KO confirms that he lost doesn't hurt either.

:ultkirby: I wouldn't say he needs a significant damage boost, but his reward does need to be tuned up a little to compensate for his mediocre air speed and stubby feet.

:ultmetaknight: First of all, MK's special moves putting him into freefall has been a thing since Brawl, so no, that doesn't need a change. Second, what makes you say MK is low tier?

:ultduckhunt: What gives you the impression that their hitboxes are "ridiculously small"? The duck's attacks gives them about as much range as TLink and YLink's sword attacks. Either way, what makes you think that simple fact ruins the character, especially since Pichu exists.

:ultbowserjr: Lack of armor doesn't cripple the character at all, but it indeed creates some annoying matchups, especially against YLink. I do agree with more armor on the side B.

:ultrosalina::ulticeclimbers: No argues here. Two big bags of huge potential (whether it is from Attack Canceling or Desync Combos), but is hindered one way or another. Luna tethered needs more damage, while Nana should have better AI.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ivy is ******** brain dead.

Cannot wait till she gets bodied.

She has a d-throw confirm into up b that kills as low as 80%. She has to sweet spot, but she risks nothing to go for this.

And if she whiffs up b in the air she does not enter free fall. How is that ok?

Oh, right.

It's not ok.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Ivy is ******** brain dead.

Cannot wait till she gets bodied.

She has a d-throw confirm into up b that kills as low as 80%. She has to sweet spot, but she risks nothing to go for this.

And if she whiffs up b in the air she does not enter free fall. How is that ok?

Oh, right.

It's not ok.
You forgot about Ivy's u-air and d-air(that spikes) which have hitboxes the size of Texas.

Also the lack of free fall on Vine whip makes her recovery more obnoxious since if her 900 yard tether doesn't snap the ledge, she'll just switch to Zard whose low recovery is difficult to edge-guard.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You forgot about Ivy's u-air and d-air(that spikes) which have hitboxes the size of Texas.

Also the lack of free fall on Vine whip makes her recovery more obnoxious since if her 900 yard tether doesn't snap the ledge, she'll just switch to Zard whose low recovery is difficult to edge-guard.
FACTZ!!

She will get bodied eventually. If only because she outshines her two partners so much.

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
First of all, you are labeling characters randomly off as low tier. While characters like Kirby and Mac are more widely agreed to be in the lower end of the tier list, putting characters like MK and DH as low tier is more controversial.

:ultrobin: Yeah. The Levin Sword change is kinda uncalled for. While annoying, I wouldn't really call Robin a character that desperately needs buffs, especially giving his rewarding moves and high learning curve.

:ultlittlemac: The main issue with Mac is that his grounded jump doesn't reach the lower platform of stages. This causes him to be bodied by stage counterpick. A simple fix to that is already a huge boon to him. Giving back a few of his grounded KO confirms that he lost doesn't hurt either.

:ultkirby: I wouldn't say he needs a significant damage boost, but his reward does need to be tuned up a little to compensate for his mediocre air speed and stubby feet.

:ultmetaknight: First of all, MK's special moves putting him into freefall has been a thing since Brawl, so no, that doesn't need a change. Second, what makes you say MK is low tier?

:ultduckhunt: What gives you the impression that their hitboxes are "ridiculously small"? The duck's attacks gives them about as much range as TLink and YLink's sword attacks. Either way, what makes you think that simple fact ruins the character, especially since Pichu exists.

:ultbowserjr: Lack of armor doesn't cripple the character at all, but it indeed creates some annoying matchups, especially against YLink. I do agree with more armor on the side B.

:ultrosalina::ulticeclimbers: No argues here. Two big bags of huge potential (whether it is from Attack Canceling or Desync Combos), but is hindered one way or another. Luna tethered needs more damage, while Nana should have better AI.
I was wrong on :ultmetaknight: and have removed him from the post. Some people in some communities are actually doing sort of well with him.

I really don't see how the :ultduckhunt: comment would be controversial. They have a really, almost shockingly bad aerial game, with their neutral being the only real standout. The overall range may be good on the bird stabs, but there's not a lot of lateral spread or active frames compared to swordies or electrics, I think. Pretty much every tier list I've seen has the duo in the bottom half, bottom third, or bottom rung. They are not bad enough to have no chance of doing well, but I suspect a lot of their few good showings come from people not encountering them often enough to understand how to play around the can.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
It's funny cause I remember in Brawl, Squirtle had to hard carry the team cause the other two were irredeemably bad and now Ivy is hard carrying the team now (though to be fair. Squirtle' s kinda solid) . I guess :ultpokemontrainer: is the kind of player who justs levels up one pokemon to beat the game (I know I did).

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
It's funny cause I remember in Brawl, Squirtle had to hard carry the team cause the other two were irredeemably bad and now Ivy is hard carrying the team now (though to be fair. Squirtle' s kinda solid) . I guess :ultpokemontrainer: is the kind of player who justs levels up one pokemon to beat the game (I know I did).
The funny thing is that Ivysaur in particular was a contender for the absolute worst character in Brawl. The 3-4 Ivysaur players from Brawl must be laughing hysterically now. :p

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
didn't chromicide kill the opponents first? because i did the up b on a :ultgnw: and died first
Chromcide was (is) always more finicky than initially reported. On one local I saw a week back it happened on final stocks and led to Sudden Death.
On rare occasions it can cause sudden death instead of him winning. Not entirely sure what causes it to happen. Its also possible that he didn't get as clean of a catch as he would have liked and that G&W was able to slide out to the side of the sword while getting dragged down.
Sudden death happens most of the time because the Chrom Player:
A) Misstimed the first swing/Second player don't react to it/DI in a weird angle
B) Did it a bit over the stage

As for dying first:
-Chromcide will lead in Chrom Dying first when it's made a bit around the height of the firsts battlefield platform and higher

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Ivy's dair is good, but it's actually kind of weak as far as meteors go. That and noticeable lag means it can be punished on hit at low percents due to being to weak to ground bounce the enemy.

The Sheik comparison for Squirtle is mostly true, but he has a way to hilariously screw recoveries with Water Gun, a ridiculously strong push for how quick it charges. Anyone try spraying opponents towards and under stages?

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
I've picked up :ultpokemontrainer: as my main and I think everyone has already made valid points on each Pokemon. :ultsquirtle: is solid if only for lower percentages, :ultivysaur: definitely carries the team with ridiculous hitboxes, amazing projectile, and vine whip shenanigans. :ultcharizard:is actually solid even if he has a limited moveset. I agree some of the hitboxes on fair/ bair are kinda dumb (in a bad way) but Flamethrower is decent, Usmash is quick, and you can punish opponents quite a bit OOS.

Looking at each individual character you may think Pokemon Trainer as mid-tier at best but the whole idea is to keep your opponent on edge by switching and switching often. If you watch Leffen, he will switch quite often and therein lies the advantage of using this character. I hope Leffen uses him for Genesis because I still think he's very good when used properly together.

In terms of balance, I wouldn't mind Ivysaur nerfs if they buffed the other two (perfectly balanced!)

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The funny thing is that Ivysaur in particular was a contender for the absolute worst character in Brawl. The 3-4 Ivysaur players from Brawl must be laughing hysterically now. :p
I was one of those 3-4 players and I'm actually not too crazy about Ivysaur in this game. Bair range nerf and lack of dair momentum cancel are lame, and I really hate her new dash attack.

I think Ivy only seems broken because Squirtle and Zard are so underwhelming, as a solo character I think she'd be like upper mid or low high at best.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:ultivysaur: Would be the best solo pokemon of the trio because well roundedness but I don't see it being necessarily better or worse than the other 2. Maybe that's because I play a character who out-camps Ivy. PT needs to work as a team to be effective. Squirtle is for early % strings and weaving around zoners. Ivy zones, spikes, has lighter chains and can kill making it best for mid %s. Charizard has big kill moves, a kill throw, good recovery and weight making it ideal for late %s. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. I've seen PT players favor Squirtle in certain MUs and charizard in others.

:ultgnw: is the flavor of the week because Maester but imo is on the weaker end of the cast. He's certainly functional and bucket reflecting turned it from a highly situational tool to a situational tool. Reflectors are good vs zoners; YL can no longer strait camp G&W. G&W has weaknesses of being extremely light, getting outzoned by swords and is generally undertuned.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't believe Sheik needs a lot of buffs, honestly I think that just making her heavier (as heavy as Zelda again) would solve her biggest issue, aka the inherent extra "risk" in her kit that doesn't need to be there
Yeah she has no real kill setups (besides needles into bouncing fish atleast), but her smashes, upb and offstage bouncing fish are all easily workable with
and her lack of dammage I feel is mostly just a problem of adapting to her new kit. yea her fair does a pitiful 4ish%, but you're not supposed to use it to rack up damage to begin with, now it's mostly a (safe) tool to get stage control and setup into other stuff
her jab, specials and smashes do kinda respectable damage and she still has combos (and an incredible juggling and edgeguarding game)
also, use pummels more, in ultimate you can kinda see when an opponent is mashing out of a grab and she needs any source of damage she can get
it's just a matter of implementing these moves more into her gameplan
She also DOES have a few guaranteed set up, her most consistent is tipper Down Tilt to buffered dash Up Smash.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Squirtle has a little more oomph behind his attacks than Sheik. You’re looking at 6-9 damage per hit which racks up quickly over a typical 3 hit string, and he has pretty reliable 0-50s from Dthrow against non-floaties. Compare this to Sheik hitting you with 6 Fairs/Ftilts and barely taking you over 20%.

I think Squirtle would be a lot scarier if he was a little faster (he’s known as the small speedy one but his movement stats are pretty average, similar to Mario’s in most cases) as this would make him tough to consistently zone or outrange in the same way as the thunder rats.

Obviously he can’t really kill which makes him poor in a vacuum but there’s absolutely no point discussing solo Pokemon.

Can’t tell if serious, but it’s ridiculous to suggest that someone can up sticks and move to another country just like that, even if Smash is their career. Moving for work is a huge decision for which many considerations must be taken into account. Ultimate isn’t even his main Smash game.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of weird to see people waiting on PT to get worse while I'm just over here waiting for Peach/Daisy and Roy/Chrom to be declared as overrated yet again. Peach is practically a given because it has happened in every game she is in. There's usually like one player that's stupid good with her and then everybody else eventually gets frustrated and switches because of her huge learning curve. Same goes for Yoshi and Lucario. History shows that ROB will fall too once people figure him out again. I'm not super convinced of anyone's staying power yet aside from Fox, Cloud, and possibly Snake and Palutena.

Last edited:

ProfessorVincent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alexim
3DS FC
2105-8719-2070
Kind of weird to see people waiting on PT to get worse while I'm just over here waiting for Peach/Daisy and Roy/Chrom to be declared as overrated yet again. Peach is practically a given because it has happened in every game she is in. There's usually like one player that's stupid good with her and then everybody else eventually gets frustrated and switches because of her huge learning curve. Same goes for Yoshi and Lucario. History shows that ROB will fall too once people figure him out again. I'm not super convinced of anyone's staying power yet aside from Fox, Cloud, and possibly Snake and Palutena.
I'm pretty convinced by Inkling's staying power because they don't seem to have any glaring issues such as the ones with the characters you mentioned. Their crazy mobility makes up for their small range and their edgeguarding and damage wracking capability make up for their relative trouble killing. Unless they completely ruin roller or nerf up-air, I can't see the Inklings falling below upper high tier.

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300
Now, people seem to be waiting for nerfs to PT in this thread, not metagame development (in fact it's safe to say PT will be optimized with time as people improve at Squirtle's combo tree and just switching/tech in general) but I agree that there are a lot of characters we assume to be good that will fall. I actually think time might be better to Roy than Chrom due to how amazing his up-b is out of shield and how he can be completely suffocating with his sweetspots at close-range. Peach and Daisy definitely feel like they have more staying power than Sm4sh (note their ability to do full-power aerials at shorthop height and already having 2nd at a major) but the rest of your post is right if you ask me (and it's still pretty likely Peach will fall to an extent).

Last edited:

Foie

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle has a little more oomph behind his attacks than Sheik. You’re looking at 6-9 damage per hit which racks up quickly over a typical 3 hit string, and he has pretty reliable 0-50s from Dthrow against non-floaties. Compare this to Sheik hitting you with 6 Fairs/Ftilts and barely taking you over 20%.

I think Squirtle would be a lot scarier if he was a little faster (he’s known as the small speedy one but his movement stats are pretty average, similar to Mario’s in most cases) as this would make him tough to consistently zone or outrange in the same way as the thunder rats.

Obviously he can’t really kill which makes him poor in a vacuum but there’s absolutely no point discussing solo Pokemon.

Can’t tell if serious, but it’s ridiculous to suggest that someone can up sticks and move to another country just like that, even if Smash is their career. Moving for work is a huge decision for which many considerations must be taken into account. Ultimate isn’t even his main Smash game.
I agree. I for one was super disappointed when I tried :ultsquirtle: for the first time since brawl and his speed seemed cut in half. I was hoping for something like tiny mii brawler speed (which granted, is rather absurd). He just seems rather "honest" which is not really a good thing in this game... I don't know if the jack-of-all-trades, master of none design of PT is going to lead to crazy success.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm pretty convinced by Inkling's staying power because they don't seem to have any glaring issues such as the ones with the characters you mentioned. Their crazy mobility makes up for their small range and their edgeguarding and damage wracking capability make up for their relative trouble killing. Unless they completely ruin roller or nerf up-air, I can't see the Inklings falling below upper high tier.
Ah, right, forgot about them. My main thing about Inkling is that they'll probably get worse because the game is just so oversaturated with them right now. Casual play. Pro play. They're everywhere and, while I don't think they'll fall far, I don't see them staying as a dominanting force. They'll probably wind up like Smash 4 Mario and wind up in this weird nebulous zone of constant arguing of how good they actually are.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Now, people seem to be waiting for nerfs to PT in this thread, not metagame development (in fact it's safe to say PT will be optimized with time as people improve at Squirtle's combo tree and just switching/tech in general) but I agree that there are a lot of characters we assume to be good that will fall. I actually think time might be better to Roy than Chrom due to how amazing his up-b is out of shield and how he can be completely suffocating with his sweetspots at close-range. Peach and Daisy definitely feel like they have more staying power than Sm4sh (note their ability to do full-power aerials at shorthop height and already having 2nd at a major) but the rest of your post is right if you ask me (and it's still pretty likely Peach will fall to an extent).

Well its still early in the meta to say who will fall off for sure, epecially with a potential balance patch coming. But my thoughts so far.

:ultchrom: seems to have fallen off a bit short despite the hype. Mostly likely due to his recovery and that many top and high-tiers have very easy and effective ways to exploit it. :ultlucina: is likely going to overtake him, and that seems to have already kind of started too

:ultpeach::ultdaisy: I dont see falling off at all if they remain the same.. it just..yeah they are just ridiculous.

:ultinkling:. Ehh no, well only by the slightest amount. Even if roller does get nerfed, I doubt it would mean much to the actually skilled Inking players who just dont use the thing as a crutch

:ultrob: May fall off a bit, he seems to have many of his really bad MU's from Smash 4 still. Still a solid high-tier at least. :ultbayonetta: almost seems as bad as it was in Smash 4 Bayo's nerfs she got and R.O.B's buffs

:ultpalutena: Has a slight chance of falling off a bit honestly, once characters exploit her weakness in poor Oos options and lack of a "Get off me" move in general. Has issues vs the spacies and the electric rats

:ultwolf: People though he would fall off, but so far he has not really, like I mentioned his lack of "kill-confirms" is not a big an issue for him at all when he can control neutral as well as he can, and he just has a ridiculous amount of very effective ways to kill once he gets you in his kill percentage range

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree. I for one was super disappointed when I tried :ultsquirtle: for the first time since brawl and his speed seemed cut in half. I was hoping for something like tiny mii brawler speed (which granted, is rather absurd). He just seems rather "honest" which is not really a good thing in this game... I don't know if the jack-of-all-trades, master of none design of PT is going to lead to crazy success.
I miss hydroplaning :crying: Squirtle used to be so good at sliding around. Now he feels too predictable. One reason I haven't picked up PT is Squirtle.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
:ultwolf: People though he would fall off, but so far he has not really, like I mentioned his lack of "kill-confirms" is not a big an issue for him at all when he can control neutral as well as he can, and he a myraid of very effective ways to kill once he gets you in his kill percentage range
I was assuming that he would start to fall off as well. But it just seems like if you just stick to your gameplan and don't overextend to get a kill, you will get that kill before anyone gets too much damage on you.

I'm actually thinking he can only go up from here, unless something is found that is a totally guaranteed gimp on his recovery.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I was assuming that he would start to fall off as well. But it just seems like if you just stick to your gameplan and don't overextend to get a kill, you will get that kill before anyone gets too much damage on you.

I'm actually thinking he can only go up from here, unless something is found that is a totally guaranteed gimp on his recovery.
Ok lets say you argue you can just avoid running into his kill options..ok once you are around 130-140% yeah here is what you need to "avoid" and not run into not even counting his smash attacks.

b-air
up-tilt
f-tilt near the edge

THEN even after a bit more damage..say 150+ %

dash attack
back-throw
sweetspot n-air

So yeah you have to keep in mind Wolf has all those options to kill you, confirms or not. You can maybe find ways to get around some of them all of the time, or all of them some of the time...but not all of them all of the time...

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Please ignore, ran into quoting issues. Tldr Wolf is unexpectedly fantastic and I can see him in top 10 easily.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
As another point of comparison to late-stage Smash 4 Sheik, Wolf’s basic win condition is to be patient. As soon as Wolf starts to try and fish, he starts to lose. He has a ton of contextual set-ups that benefit from a fluid, adaptable mix-up game, but they aren’t required to win.

Zackray makes weird/bad decisions occasionally, but he is the epitome of an opportunist, and seems to anticipate the various set-ups he could get from a given exchange. He hits Nair > Fair exceptionally well, for instance, even off seemingly tangential hits.

In a bizarre case of art imitating life, playing Wolf reminds me of a section off of Planet Earth that featured wolves hunting. Wolves can’t really afford to be directly confrontational with larger prey. They have to condition their prey via the suggestion of aggression, rather than actually committing to it.

Of course, a pack of wolves can afford to be more aggressive in order to condition behavior than, say, a lone wolf. But whether a wolf is alone or in a pack, they use fear to condition their prey into a bad spot, or a bad reaction. Fear strikes at something primal, something that bypasses executive function, and pushes a reaction, rather than a decision.

I don’t know if the devs consciously thought about this, but Wolf’s gameplan is fairly analogous to his real life counterparts.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I don't really get why people keep saying Pokemon Trainer is hard. Besides Ivysaur, the pokemon's individual kit is simplistic and kinda limited. None of the pokemon are really technical, and you only really need to know only some parts of their gameplan since there is no penalty for switching. If you learn Squirtle's low percent combos, Ivysaur, and Charizard's ledge trapping and kill setups, you're pretty much all set.

:150:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don't really get why people keep saying Pokemon Trainer is hard. Besides Ivysaur, the pokemon's individual kit is simplistic and kinda limited. None of the pokemon are really technical, and you only really need to know only some parts of their gameplan since there is no penalty for switching. If you learn Squirtle's low percent combos, Ivysaur, and Charizard's ledge trapping and kill setups, you're pretty much all set.

It doesn’t make sense to me either. None of the three are particularly difficult characters to learn. The skill cap to learning PKT as opposed to Peach or Greninja isn’t even comparable

I like the pre Gensis johns coming out of Leffen. If he wants the practice against high level pros move to the US. Unless there's some valid reason for him not to be able to move
I’m sure Leffen could move to the US if he wanted to and it would probably help his career. I mean he’s sponsored and all they could get him a Visa easy. He does have a life and a girlfriend in Sweden though and he does really well streaming so maybe he just likes living there and doesn’t really have enough motivation to make the move. Armada’s never done it either. I don’t think winning more Smash tournaments is lucrative enough to go through moving countries for. Especially if you’re already happy with where you live. It’s not like you’re making OW, LoL, etc... type money. That said if a player like Leffen did decide to move to a stacked Ultimate region in the US I think he would do very very well

The dude adapted to Melee fast, DBZ Fighter even faster, and even though some people like to deny it, some people do have natural talent and Leffen may have as much raw talent as anyone. I just don’t think we’ll ever get to see him pushed to his limits in Ultimate though which is a shame

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ivy's grab up-b combos are pretty good, but I feel like Ivy needs it.
Razor leaf is also good, but it isn't transcended priority - clanking with it is pretty doable in a pinch. It doesn't have the variation of space covered like boomerangs do and while outputting faster than Wolf's laser feels middling to be hit by (unless of course you're getting hit by it close enough to get combo'd out of it).

All three pokemon really suffer mid air if they're not in advantage state. Squirtle ended up getting shafted in aerial stats whilst still suffering the "if I jump in one direction you're pretty free to pivot grab me" syndrome.
Maybe I'm spoiled by ZSS zair canceling out razor leaf, traveling and hitting ivysaur, and ivysaur not really having any options once that happens bar air dodge/switching or getting fair stringed off stage and forcing a switch.

Ivysaur has a pace-setting neutral vs a lot of characters but really doesn't seem to have much going for her if you/your character can play neutral against it.
Charizard seems to really carry matches because if Ivy/Squirtle aren't able to abuse match up inexperience, his "Swordman-like Neutral" (tm) passivity is a lot scarier. Having one of the fastest run speeds and 4th best initial dash in the game - he can actually break through mid-range zoning faster than reaction whilst Squirtle/Ivy are comparatively limited.

To be fair, PT is ingrained into my soul since Brawl (despite not playing them I was pretty active in their meta), and Charizard has been the only one of the three to ever really consistently put up a fight and apply stress inducing pressure with a domineering advantage state and edge guarding, to me personally at least. Charizard having the potency of his super good grab OoS taken down probably hurts them more than I currently rate, but eh.

Squirtle is the one who needs buffs the most. This boy needs to shmove and right now he cannot shmove.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think it's funny that while talking about how strong Ivysaur is people constantly fail to bring up is that she's got a really bad disadvantage state and can barely deal with juggling at all. She's floaty and despite having good air acceleration has really low air speed. Back air is good, but only hits behind her. To deal with front facing foes she has to use Fair, which while an amazing move in neutral and advantage isn't nearly fast enough to be a good "get off me" tool. You'll be punished for landing Nair if you land too early with it, which limits its application. Down Air is super disjointed but its lag is end is so awful that you'll still be punished for landing it at low percents, or even mid percents if you don't have a platform to land onto after using it. She's a strong character but that disadvantage is a serious Achilles Heel for her.

I think switching to Charizard is actually a valid tactic for getting out of disadvantage. Yeah he also lacks good landing tools but he does have a triple jump for mix up, a slightly better fall and air speed and won't be punished for hitting a landing nair. In fact I'd argue that Charizard is actually better at landing then Solo-Ivy which says a lot. Then there's off course the fact that Pokemon Switch basically cheats Ultimate's air dodge system which is a major saving grace for Ivy and Zard alike.

I don't think that people are struggling so much because each character is that complicated, but rather that they're each so different from one another that you have to be a master at several different playstyles. I've personally been struggling with Squirtle because I'm not used to having such stubby range with no projectile, which forces me to approach match ups against swordsmen differently then I've had to with any of my past mains or secondaries. Meanwhile a lot of players who are more far skilled more then I are uncomfortable with Charizard because they're used to playing safer characters and don't know how to think like a superheavy.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Would Shulk be technical without Manodo? PT's hard because you must be good with all 3 characters. Say Charizard's going to be juggled and you swap to get out, suddenly you have to kill with Squirtle. A good PT player knows all 3 pokemons' full gameplan and how to manage them cooperatively.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Would Shulk be technical without Manodo? PT's hard because you must be good with all 3 characters. Say Charizard's going to be juggled and you swap to get out, suddenly you have to kill with Squirtle. A good PT player knows all 3 pokemons' full gameplan and how to manage them cooperatively.
I understand that definitely and I don’t think PT is by any means an easy character. There are a ton of players who have one main and two secondaries though that they can play optimally with. If you take that same mindset to PT I don’t know why they would be so much harder to learn than three separate characters. I know you have to learn their synergies and when to use which Pokémon and in what situations to use which Pokémon but I feel like that would just come with experience. I definitely don’t think they’re a pick up and play character and I haven’t tried learning them so I really don’t have too much basis to go on but they seem like a character that you just need to put a lot of time into matchups as opposed to labbing tech, etc... which is a different type of difficult. I think they have a ton of room to just grow and grow in potential from people playing them more and getting more comfortable with them in tournament

Last edited:
Top Bottom