• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Now that I think about it, Bowser Jr is a lot like 1.0 Smash 4 Ike. At the beginning of Smash 4, they gave Ike good combo ability and good landing lag, but near erased his kill power from Brawl. Later patches fixed this which is why I don't see Bowser Jr as a total no hoper. He needs a bunch of little tweaks, not a total overhaul, to be functional. Restore his kill power and fix his grab and he'd be alright.

Rizen

Smash Legend
He lost tether but what he got in return is a fast OoS option (one of the fastest in the game, in fact) which was undoubtedly one of his biggest weaknesses in Smash4. People are underrating his recovery imo.
I don't agree with that in SSB4. Spin attack was f8 in 4, now it's frame 7 so it got a 1 f buff. T was using spin in 4 to do things like punish Fox's Utilt. Link's OoS isn't bad at all but there are faster. Marth's dolphin slash, for reference, is invulnerable f4 and hits 5.

Link's recovery is like Ridley's: it can go far but in limited ways. Bombs are great for distant recoveries but can't save Link if he's hit out of his double jump. I played vs Link in doubles as Link and gimped him twice that set. I got gimped another set. Link's going to die under 100% sometimes; his recovery is very linear and exploitable. Boomerang is a great offstage defense and upB has big hitbubbles but opponents can jump offstage and drop down on Link from above. Uair is too laggy to defend him offstage.

Last edited:

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
Now that I think about it, Bowser Jr is a lot like 1.0 Smash 4 Ike. At the beginning of Smash 4, they gave Ike good combo ability and good landing lag, but near erased his kill power from Brawl. Later patches fixed this which is why I don't see Bowser Jr as a total no hoper. He needs a bunch of little tweaks, not a total overhaul, to be functional. Restore his kill power and fix his grab and he'd be alright.
His throw is really slow for a set of throws that is so bad. With that said, his down-throw is actually... pretty good? It gets them off stage at a low angle where BJr wants them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In my opinion, this game basically has four categories of characters:

-Really good (major nerfs aren't needed though)
-Good (but don't need much to be really good)
-Decent but with big flaws
-Dysfunctional but can be fixed

Right now, the three characters almost everyone agrees on in the last category are Bowser Jr, Little Mac, and Kirby. Given we haven't gotten a major balancing patch yet, that's pretty impressive that there's so few that are totally written off.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
In my opinion, this game basically has four categories of characters:

-Really good (major nerfs aren't needed though)
-Good (but don't need much to be really good)
-Decent but with big flaws
-Dysfunctional but can be fixed

Right now, the three characters almost everyone agrees on in the last category are Bowser Jr, Little Mac, and Kirby. Given we haven't gotten a major balancing patch yet, that's pretty impressive that there's so few that are totally written off.
I honestly think Jr. and Kirby belong in the third category. Have a good gameplan, but is a little undertuned.

If we are talking about dysfunctional characters, then characters like Mac and Bayo should be included imo [Edit: also ICs, because I think Nana should have some functional brain cells when alone lol].

Last edited:

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
Bowser Jr has the same problems, but also is awful offstage, doesn't have combos, and cannot kill.
Doesn't have combos? Uthrow is a combo throw and nets you a free 50% from uair strings at 0%. Kart still combos really well, kart > dair/fair being true at 0%, kart > fair being used after that, kart > uair after that. Utilt's hitbox starts in front of him, now hitting smaller characters like Kirby, and leads into more uairs and can finish with fair/bair.

Not sure about you, but I usually don't have trouble killing with Jr. RamHam (kart into up b hammer kill confirm) still works at roughly the same percent range it did in S4 (70%-105%) Cannonball walls can catch people recovering or airdodges because of their constant, slow moving hitbox that also obliterates shields. Bair is a great hitbox that autocancels and kills. Friggin' jab is a kill move. A frame 4 jab. That does a lot of damage. Jr. can kill.

And he's not that bad offstage. Like, yeah, getting hit out of up b sucks major Donkey Kong, but since kart doesn't eat your double jump anymore, recovering is a nonissue. He can stall in the air pretty well because of it.

Jr.'s not that bad people. Definitely not bottom 3 and, dare I say it, not even bottom 5.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm on the fence about Ice Climbers and Bayo because they can both still do pretty stupid stuff but it's much more work now. Bayo and ZSS both have the same crux now, a lack of reliable kill options (which is basically Bair for them both). Ice Climbers are such a feast or famine character that it's hard to get a good grounding on them. You're either pulling off 60% strings or Nana dies when you're at 15% and you're just looking at the screen like "I cried for you when you were cut from Smash 4 and this is how you repay me?!" My biggest beefs about the Ice Climbers are the garbage range of their Smash attacks and the absolutely perplexing decision to make the ice blocks reflectable (seriously, why?!).

Today's Tom Sawyer

Smash Rookie
Bayo and ZSS both have the same crux now, a lack of reliable kill options (which is basically Bair for them both).
Zero Suit Waifu has a more reliably-linking up-b now, at the trade off of a smaller initial hitbox and its up-air setup's having exactly one frame more of ending lag. Also down-b and side-b depending on the situation.

Waifunetta...yep.

Leffen was ranting on stream about this balancing trend from Nintendo/Bandai Namco/Sora of nerfing top tiers' kill power and combo throws rather than making judicious moveset changes. It's quite lazy and unfortunate.

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300
Doesn't have combos? Uthrow is a combo throw and nets you a free 50% from uair strings at 0%.
Bowser Jr. upthrow? "Guaranteeing" anything?

Prove it, because I don't believe you. Hell, even if uthrow to an aerial is true, no upair string is getting you a reliable 50%. Not even against the biggest hurtboxes and worst frame data.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I don't agree with that in SSB4. Spin attack was f8 in 4, now it's frame 7 so it got a 1 f buff. T was using spin in 4 to do things like punish Fox's Utilt. Link's OoS isn't bad at all but there are faster. Marth's dolphin slash, for reference, is invulnerable f4 and hits 5.

Link's recovery is like Ridley's: it can go far but in limited ways. Bombs are great for distant recoveries but can't save Link if he's hit out of his double jump. I played vs Link in doubles as Link and gimped him twice that set. I got gimped another set. Link's going to die under 100% sometimes; his recovery is very linear and exploitable. Boomerang is a great offstage defense and upB has big hitbubbles but opponents can jump offstage and drop down on Link from above. Uair is too laggy to defend him offstage.
Most recoveries are pretty linear within the cast though. He just has an extra option available to him to recover which is pretty noteworthy for anyone imo. Link himself is VERY good at gimping and edgeguarding in general, which you already know - and I'd argue that ironically Link's a huge threat to himself offstage.

Of course, I'm sure we've both known Link's recovery was probably better overall in Smash4 due to tether which would have been a big help in a game that really seems to make edgeguarding very relevant. But i do think he at least has the means to defend himself in that situation and at least has another option besides up-b to mix things up. Air dodging is also an option too but i personally always seem to forget that :p

I really dont think his recovery is that bad though, even in this game.

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
Bowser Jr. upthrow? "Guaranteeing" anything?

Prove it, because I don't believe you. Hell, even if uthrow to an aerial is true, no upair string is getting you a reliable 50%. Not even against the biggest hurtboxes and worst frame data.
ok

And before you say DI it's not difficult to follow it with a frame 6 area above your head.

Sorry for the crummy setup, Nintendo won't let me record things on the Switch because reasons. Hopefully the patch tonight fixes that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ok

And before you say DI it's not difficult to follow it with a frame 6 area above your head.

Sorry for the crummy setup, Nintendo won't let me record things on the Switch because reasons. Hopefully the patch tonight fixes that.
But that's Ridley, who is tied for 40th when it comes to air speed and 16th for fall speed and one of the largest characters in the game. I've played Iggy since the launch of Smash 4 and there are no free 60% strings. You have to work for combos with Bowser Jr.

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
But that's Ridley, who is tied for 40th when it comes to air speed and 16th for fall speed and one of the largest characters in the game. I've played Iggy since the launch of Smash 4 and there are no free 60% strings. You have to work for combos with Bowser Jr.
His quote said that it wouldn't work on anyone.

Not even against the biggest hurtboxes and worst frame data.
But ok, here's Jiggs then. Not quite 50%-- only 44%. But it's like floatier characters are harder to combo.
Oh my God, Nintendo, let me record Smash on Switch, please.

Uthrow combos weren't a thing in S4. While I didn't play Jr. since launch in S4, I did play him a good several months before I quit the game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Most recoveries are pretty linear within the cast though. He just has an extra option available to him to recover which is pretty noteworthy for anyone imo. Link himself is VERY good at gimping and edgeguarding in general, which you already know - and I'd argue that ironically Link's a huge threat to himself offstage.

Of course, I'm sure we've both known Link's recovery was probably better overall in Smash4 due to tether which would have been a big help in a game that really seems to make edgeguarding very relevant. But i do think he at least has the means to defend himself in that situation and at least has another option besides up-b to mix things up. Air dodging is also an option too but i personally always seem to forget that :p

I really dont think his recovery is that bad though, even in this game.
UpB also got a distance reduction from SSB4. I agree Ultimate Link's recovery isn't terrible but it's on the lower end of the cast. It's still a lot better than Roy or Belmonts.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
UpB also got a distance reduction from SSB4. I agree Ultimate Link's recovery isn't terrible but it's on the lower end of the cast. It's still a lot better than Roy or Belmonts.
I feel up bs in general took a hit. Papa Bowser, my main got a reduction in up b distance. Literally the way i lose most stocks now cause he's insanely heavy...

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I think one of the main problems with Link’s recovery is it’s really easy not just to drop down and spike it but also drop down on it with a counter (and with so many of the top characters in this game being FE characters they have counters). It’s like DK’s in that way. Of course it’s better than the Belmont’s (who get gimped at like 40%) and maybe Chrom’s and is probably about on par with Wolf’s or Ness’s. Probably a little better than those two actually. It’s a functional recovery though which is enough in Ultimate

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Uh, Link's up b did not get a distance nerf. It's the exact same as smash 4.

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300
I stand corrected on the Bowser Jr. combos, lmao. I really was out here just waiting after the throw, assuming it still had the old endlag. Thank you for going out of your way to enrich everyone's knowledge and prove me wrong Repli.Cant Repli.Cant .

Anyway :ultpokemontrainer:,

I've been playing PT some more, and I'm actually starting to think much more favorably of Charizard. Not only does he have the really good attributes that we've already discussed (run speed, weight, jumps) but his buttons, like Sm4sh, are really dumb in neutral. Jab, bair, usmash, nair, fair, dtilt.... they strike so much fear and damage into the opponent. Especially upsmash -- that move is BUSTED. Insane out-of-shield, insane anti-air, minimal startup and endlag, kills, what more could you want? He's really a massive benefactor of the new dash FAF in general, especially with jab and usmash. I think there are relevant matchups where Charizard is actually more useful than his two cohorts, even before percent gets high. Cloud is the first one that comes to mind: whenever I play against him, Squirtle gets outranged, and Ivysaur is against a character who does everything she does but better (except throw razor leaves but cmon), leaving Charizard to handle the matchup well. His approaches are solid, the usmash covers too much jumping, well-placed nair can prevent Cloud's aerial approaches as well, and Zard can easily force an edgeguard situation with a grab, which is guaranteed to get good damage and can definitely convert into a gimp.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I stand corrected on the Bowser Jr. combos, lmao. I really was out here just waiting after the throw, assuming it still had the old endlag. Thank you for going out of your way to enrich everyone's knowledge and prove me wrong Repli.Cant Repli.Cant .

Anyway :ultpokemontrainer:,

I've been playing PT some more, and I'm actually starting to think much more favorably of Charizard. Not only does he have the really good attributes that we've already discussed (run speed, weight, jumps) but his buttons, like Sm4sh, are really dumb in neutral. Jab, bair, usmash, nair, fair, dtilt.... they strike so much fear and damage into the opponent. Especially upsmash -- that move is BUSTED. Insane out-of-shield, insane anti-air, minimal startup and endlag, kills, what more could you want? He's really a massive benefactor of the new dash FAF in general, especially with jab and usmash. I think there are relevant matchups where Charizard is actually more useful than his two cohorts, even before percent gets high. Cloud is the first one that comes to mind: whenever I play against him, Squirtle gets outranged, and Ivysaur is against a character who does everything she does but better (except throw razor leaves but cmon), leaving Charizard to handle the matchup well. His approaches are solid, the usmash covers too much jumping, well-placed nair can prevent Cloud's aerial approaches as well, and Zard can easily force an edgeguard situation with a grab, which is guaranteed to get good damage and can definitely convert into a gimp.
Whenever I play PT I have a habit of always underestimating Charizard (I’ve been hit by stray Flate Blitzes an embarrassing amount of times not to mention Usmash). I always underestimate his air options and how good he is at edgeguarding, I’m learning not to do that quick. He definitely gives me more trouble than Squirtle and a lot of the time more trouble than Ivysaur because people get predictable with Ivysaur’s approaches, edgeguards, and projectiles. Definitely making a mental note to respect Charizard more

Last edited:

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
Yeah man, all good. I like the character a good bit! Feels good to let people know about some the cool stuff he can do.

In other news, server maintenance has started!!

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't have anything I can add to the Pokemon Trainer talk but seeing people mention how Pokemon Switch acts as a second air dodge of sorts got me thinking, what do people think of Villager and Isabelle? They've got something similar with Pocket although it doesn't halt momentum. In return, it can be b reversed and wavebounced. I haven't used Villager at all and I'm pretty sure Ranai was one of the playtesters for Ultimate so I'm not sure who the best Villager or Isabelle is. I know Villager suffered in Sm4sh as the DLC came out since he couldn't handle the range of the likes of Cloud or Corrin too well and with the Marthlings doing well in Ultimate that issue might still be present. As for Isabelle, I feel she needs buffs to be worth using over Villager. She can't approach as well as he can since she lacks the Lloid Rocket and while the mine is nice, it's too easy to either destroy or activate without actually getting hit by it. It also has a really small timer and Isabelle doesn't have the best means of forcing approaches since she can only slingshot so fast and the fishing rod is also beat by shielding. It takes close to a full second to set the mine up and while I haven't timed it down to a T, it seems to only last for about 30 seconds and it just disappears after that whereas the likes of Duck Hunt's can, Snake's C4 and grenades and the bombs of all 3 Link's actually explode when their timers expire.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yeah man, all good. I like the character a good bit! Feels good to let people know about some the cool stuff he can do.

In other news, server maintenance has started!!
Let’s hope for the best and that nobody gets nerfed into the ground

I don't have anything I can add to the Pokemon Trainer talk but seeing people mention how Pokemon Switch acts as a second air dodge of sorts got me thinking, what do people think of Villager and Isabelle? They've got something similar with Pocket although it doesn't halt momentum. In return, it can be b reversed and wavebounced. I haven't used Villager at all and I'm pretty sure Ranai was one of the playtesters for Ultimate so I'm not sure who the best Villager or Isabelle is. I know Villager suffered in Sm4sh as the DLC came out since he couldn't handle the range of the likes of Cloud or Corrin too well and with the Marthlings doing well in Ultimate that issue might still be present. As for Isabelle, I feel she needs buffs to be worth using over Villager. She can't approach as well as he can since she lacks the Lloid Rocket and while the mine is nice, it's too easy to either destroy or activate without actually getting hit by it. It also has a really small timer and Isabelle doesn't have the best means of forcing approaches since she can only slingshot so fast and the fishing rod is also beat by shielding. It takes close to a full second to set the mine up and while I haven't timed it down to a T, it seems to only last for about 30 seconds and it just disappears after that whereas the likes of Duck Hunt's can, Snake's C4 and grenades and the bombs of all 3 Link's actually explode when their timers expire.
I think Isabelle is just worse than Villager overall. Without the rocket to mix up her recovery she gets edgeguarded super easily. The bowling ball two frame and ledge drop also really helps villager as well as the tree and axe. I’ve never had trouble with the fishing rod and it’s slow and punishable and I just PK Fire or dtilt the mine with a disjoint and it goes away. Villager just seems better to me

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Here's hoping to many rousing discussions of :ultpiranha:'s hopeful tourney success!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
First impressions of the plant.
Good specials and tilts.
AWFUL aerials (except nair).

Gérard Majax

Smash Cadet
Yay Bowser Jr discussion.
Damn the amount of misinformation though. And I don't mean only in this thread ("Jr has non combos" "bad set of grabs" lmao), I've played against several people at my locals who were like "man I thought they nerfed Jr from 4 to ultimate!", which is blatantly false.

Random list of strenghts:
- Excellent aerial game. Fair and bair just eat jumps for breakfast, nair works as a quick "gtfo" option, + combos at low/mid%, uair combos into itself like 50 times, dair gives an occasional landing option (and has some combos!)
- Good edgegarding. You can either throw stuff at them (canonball, mechakoopa, even up b lol), or just run and press fair and if it hits congratz you probably won the stock.
- Good damage racking. Grab, side b and utilt all set-up for a lot of damage at low to mid %.
- Reasonable killing power. You can cheese stocks with fsmash, side b offstage and side b -> up b (yo this kills at like 80), then at 120 bair/fair/jab will kill depending on your position. Also you can get random up b hammer hits sometimes (good against people recovering high).
- Overall good neutral, albeit matchup dependant. Mechakoopa can be horrible to deal with (mix it up with some canonballs for the lulz), otherwise dtilt and fair are pretty safe to throw around and nair works okay as an oos (except against tiny characters).
- Lol he takes reduced damage from most attacks for some reason.

His main weakness is his garbage recovery which forces him to recover high most of the time. You can mix it up a bit with the airdodge out of the mech, but I've died so many times to a random hit at 20 it's infuriating. Also his neutral can fall off against a patient opponent who knows the matchup (bonus points if he has a reflector), because his approches are kinda meh.
But he definitely doesn't need a ****ton of buff (believe me you would not want to play against a top tier bowser jr). Make his recovery slightly less trash, maybe buff a few underwhelming moves (usmash and dsmash are kinda bad, ftilt might use a little more damage), but that's about it.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I almost feel bad for K Rool. Almost

Looks like they buffed a lot for Rosa we’ll see if any of it translates into her being a decent character (I really hope not lmao). Looks like they also really buffed Inciniroar

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Bayonetta
Neutral Air Attack
Shortened the amount of time you cannot grab edges after using the move.
The only listed change for Bayo.

I've long thought that S4 Bayo was a lot like Melee Puff, a comparison that was only made more apt by Bayo getting gutted in the transition, but this is just uncanny. If Bayo doesn't get a single proper buff in any of the patches, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

In other news, according to the patch notes, Ken Nair has less landing lag, which is odd given that it was already only 5, which I thought was as low as it can be. Any lower than that and it pretty much just always autocancels.

Glad that Roy, Greninja, and Ness made it through pretty much unscathed though.

Last edited:

Phosphophyllite

Smash Cadet
Just as I expected, people doomsaying all over again. K.Rool's bury isn't the be all and end all of his kit, the fact it got nerfed is disappointing personally but the nerf also isn't automatically going to make him trash tier. If anything it should be a good learning experience for bad K.Rool players to not be predictable and fish for grabs all the time.

Foie

Smash Apprentice
They actually have half-way decent patch notes, wow! I'm gonna have to try Jackie Chan :ultbrawler: again, looks like he got quite a handful of buffs. Jigglypuff got some changes too! Faster bair being the best most likely, perhaps fthrow combos?

Looks like they focused more on buffs than nerfs, which is great. Only a few of my nerf predictions came true.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
The only listed change for Bayo.

I've long thought that S4 Bayo was a lot like Melee Puff, a comparison that was only made more apt by Bayo getting gutted in the transition, but this is just uncanny. If Bayo doesn't get a single proper buff in any of the patches, I'm gonna laugh my *** off.

In other news, according to the patch notes, Ken Nair has less landing lag, which is odd given that it was already only 5, which I thought was as low as it can be. Any lower than that and it pretty much just always autocancels.

Glad that Roy, Greninja, and Ness made it through pretty much unscathed though.
Ness actually got a couple “buffs” in reduced landing lag for uair which could lead to new combos possibly and more damage for dair. The biggest nerfs to Ness would be if Shiek and Rosa’s changes make them viable

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300
I will caution right away to not look at the amount of Brawler buffs and say 'wow this is the most buffed character.' Remember that he, being a Mii, has more special moves to buff than other characters, so the volume of buffs isn't the same as they would be for a 'normal' character. I wish they would specify which special moves they were talking about in the notes though, because if they don't make it clear by mentioning a 'kick' or something, they're too ambiguous.

Even with caution and careful reading, though, Brawler is still getting away with a truckload of buffs to normals and even the useful specials, so good for him. Few needed it as badly as he did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom