• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

BlackInk

Smash Lord
There’s something extremely weird. Base :ultjoker: is supposed have bad kill power but his kill confirms are way more consistent and reliable than any of the characters that supposedly have a “little trouble” at killing. The character himself also has a pretty amazing damage cap as a combo character despite having a mode when he becomes absurd in his damage and kill power. I honestly don’t understand why this is the case at all if the general philosophy of characters like him is being unable to kill opponents who are at 170%-190%. If this is the stuff they go with base :ultjoker:, why don’t they apply it to :ultinkling:, :ultyounglink:, :ultbayonetta:, and :ultsheik: when base :ultjoker: hasn’t caused people to flip out for being killed with simple down confirm at 130%?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There’s something extremely weird. Base :ultjoker: is supposed have bad kill power but his kill confirms are way more consistent and reliable than any of the characters that supposedly have a “little trouble” at killing. The character himself also has a pretty amazing damage cap as a combo character and a mode when he becomes absurd in his damage and kill power. I honestly don’t understand why this is the case at all if the general philosophy of characters like him is being unable to kill opponents who are at 170%-190%. If this is the stuff they go with base :ultjoker:, why don’t they apply it to :ultinkling:, :ultyounglink:, :ultbayonetta:, and :ultsheik: when base :ultjoker: hasn’t caused people to flip out for being killed with simple down confirm at 130%?
You aren't supposed to wait until 170% to kill with any of those characters, you're supposed to edgeguard or go for reads with most of them instead. Whether or not they were successful designs is a different discussion.

Anyway we get it, you want your mained buffed. But that's not really the purpose of this thread.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
You aren't supposed to wait until 170% to kill with any of those characters, you're supposed to edgeguard or go for reads with most of them instead. Whether or not they were successful designs is a different discussion.

Anyway we get it, you want your mained buffed. But that's not really the purpose of this thread.
Actually, I am questioning the design choices because the game is trying too hard to have its cake and eat it too. This game pretends that a lot of recoveries are not extremely absurd, there are no mechanics that make characters last way longer (weight, di, teching), or hard hitting moves will not be affected by rage to become more absurd. If it didn’t, characters like Inkling and Sheik would have their issues addressed properly before the game came out by having one consistent kill method. The fact that Joker technically does address the issue but ends up being perfectly fine means that something is fundamentally wrong with the archetype he belongs in and the Smash team themselves might be aware of it.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I am questioning the design choices because the game is trying too hard to have its cake and eat it too. This game pretends that a lot of recoveries are not extremely absurd, there are no mechanics that make characters last way longer (weight, di, teching), or hard hitting moves will not be affected by rage to become more absurd. If it didn’t, characters like Inkling and Sheik would have their issues addressed properly before the game came out by having one consistent kill method. The fact that Joker technically does address the issue but ends up being perfectly fine means that something is fundamentally wrong with the archetype he belongs in and the Smash team themselves might be aware of it.
At first you were saying that the problem was rage now the problem is DI, tech and recoveries, and can you tell us what archetype these characters belongs to? And I dont know what are you talking in your last part, if Joker is succeful doesnt that mean that the problem is not the archetype but the undertuned character??

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
If this is the stuff they go with base :ultjoker:, why don’t they apply it to :ultinkling:, :ultyounglink:, :ultbayonetta:, and :ultsheik: when base :ultjoker: hasn’t caused people to flip out for being killed with simple down confirm at 130%?
Who honestly feels this would be fair and fun to play against if these kinds of characters were designed to have consistent 130% kill confirms...

I doubt there would be many.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
There’s something extremely weird. Base :ultjoker: is supposed have bad kill power but his kill confirms are way more consistent and reliable than any of the characters that supposedly have a “little trouble” at killing. The character himself also has a pretty amazing damage cap as a combo character despite having a mode when he becomes absurd in his damage and kill power. I honestly don’t understand why this is the case at all if the general philosophy of characters like him is being unable to kill opponents who are at 170%-190%. If this is the stuff they go with base :ultjoker:, why don’t they apply it to :ultinkling:, :ultyounglink:, :ultbayonetta:, and :ultsheik: when base :ultjoker: hasn’t caused people to flip out for being killed with simple down confirm at 130%?
Here is a secret, you can go offstage with Inkling and do this thing called edgeguarding. She has a Fair that eats jumps, since her recovery is so amazing she could care less how far she goes offstage against anybody because she will come back. She also has a bomb that she can deploy near the ledge to control where her opponent goes. Lets say you predict they will grab the ledge anyway. Jump to the ledge, get a trump, use Inkling's busted Bair to hit them out of there. Did I mention Inkling's damage output increases if you opponent is inked? More damage output = more knockback, proximity to the blastzone = chances of KO increase. This goes without mentioning you can gimp recoveries with Inkling's Up B. Oh, if they recover high you can use Uair to kill them even. It is like this character demands you to know what you are doing!

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Here is a secret, you can go offstage with Inkling and do this thing called edgeguarding. She has a Fair that eats jumps, since her recovery is so amazing she could care less how far she goes offstage against anybody because she will come back. She also has a bomb that she can deploy near the ledge to control where her opponent goes. Lets say you predict they will grab the ledge anyway. Jump to the ledge, get a trump, use Inkling's busted Bair to hit them out of there. Did I mention Inkling's damage output increases if you opponent is inked? More damage output = more knockback, proximity to the blastzone = chances of KO increase. This goes without mentioning you can gimp recoveries with Inkling's Up B. Oh, if they recover high you can use Uair to kill them even. It is like this character demands you to know what you are doing!
Here’s a secret, the fair is an inconsistent mess, inkling’s bair doesn’t even have kill power of any kind and it’s not even so busted to cover all the damn recoveries, Inkling’s up-air barely has range and doesn’t really kill in edgegaurding or even land well. You know who actually has better edgegaurding than Inkling despite having decent kill power? Lucina, GamjngWatch, Palutena, Pikachu, and possibly more. I know what I’m talking about because I actually play the damn character and analyze their top players.

Oh, and if you ever going to seriously say that Inkling’s up-b can lead to gimps, not every character is wolf or Lucina, so they have the capability of easily recovering from it. It’s strange, I know, it’s like the game has a lot of characters and many of them are actually not gimpable. This game is not melee, the punish game from off stage play isn’t as consistent or deadly in that game and characters now have recoveries that makes Fox’s recovery look like a complete joke in comparison. Why do you think the melee players commonly suggest to nerf the overall recoveries in ultimate? Because the recoveries are pretty dumb. In this game, it’s necessary to have a decent kill move unless the recoveries are overall worsen. We all know the smash team don’t have the balls to do the latter so we have to do the formal.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Here’s a secret, the fair is an inconsistent mess, inkling’s bair doesn’t even have kill power of any kind and it’s not even so busted to cover all the damn recoveries, Inkling’s up-air barely has range and doesn’t really kill in edgegaurding or even land well.
You should play the character you claim to be maining some time.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
You should play the character you claim to be maining some time.
I am, you’re just acting rude as hell despite obviously not playing the character at all or even understanding the game’s major design issues. If you think pulling off asshole behavior is ever going to make me back off and say “I sorry, I don’t understand ANYTHING”, you’re living in a fantasy where Inkling laughably has consistent kill power with their fair, back air, and up-air when all moves don’t even kill consistently in edgegaurding scenerios and the third one move is objectively the worst option you can use for an enormous amount of reasons with some exceptions to the rule. Why should I listen to you when you were suggesting me to do stupid **** in my edgegaurding?

If you are asking to nerf Inkling or the archetype in some way for better kill power, I will completely understand it. But no, you’re trying to pull “you don’t understand your character” nonsense. That’s not actually a fair argument or even what I’m complaining about. I say it’s ironic that even base Joker has consistent kill confirms and I feel that it’s completely ridiculous considering that he has Arsene and characters similar to him do struggle way much more with killing than base Joker. I establish legitimate reasons on why you have to have more than edgegaurding to seal off stocks in Ultimate and correctly point into the game’s flawed game design in regards to off stage play. We’re here to discuss the game’s mechanics and how they relate to the characters or discuss what changes might be necessary for characters for better game design.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I am, you’re just acting rude as hell despite obviously not playing the character at all or even understanding the game’s major design issues. If you think pulling off ******* behavior is ever going to make me back off and say “I sorry, I don’t understand ANYTHING”, you’re living in a fantasy where Inkling laughably has consistent kill power with their fair, back air, and up-air when all moves don’t even kill consistently in edgegaurding scenerios and the third one move is objectively the worst option you can use for an enormous amount of reasons with some exceptions to the rule. Why should I listen to you when you were suggesting me to do stupid **** in my edgegaurding?

If you are asking to nerf Inkling or the archetype in some way for better kill power, I will completely understand it. But no, you’re trying to pull “you don’t understand your character” nonsense. That’s not actually a fair argument or even what I’m complaining about. I say it’s ironic that even base Joker has consistent kill confirms and I feel that it’s completely ridiculous considering that he has Arsene and characters similar to him do struggle way much more with killing than base Joker. I establish legitimate reasons on why you have to have more than edgegaurding to seal off stocks in Ultimate and correctly point into the game’s flawed game design in regards to off stage play. Where’re here to discuss the game’s mechanics and how they relate to the characters or discuss what changes might be necessary for characters for better game design.
There's this mode called "Stamina" where damage is the only factor in winning and you don't have to worry about pesky early deaths in any fashion if you must view things as closely to a traditional fighting game as possible.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
There's this mode called "Stamina" where damage is the only factor in winning and you don't have to worry about pesky early deaths in any fashion if you must view things as closely to a traditional fighting game as possible.
Why don’t you just leave when it’s obvious you’re trolling?

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Round Robin 1 results are in:

ESAM :ultpikachu: 3-2s MKLeo :ultmarth:
ESAM :ultpikachu: 3-1s Armada :ultinkling:
ESAM :ultpikachu: 3-0s Light :ultfox:
MKLeo :ultjoker: 3-2s Light :ultfox:
MKLeo :ultmarth: 3-1s Armada :ultinkling:
Light :ultfox: 3-2s Armada :ultinkling:

Though it looked like Armada got steamrolled this pool, he actually did a really good job of keeping up with MKLeo and Light.

1st Seed: ESAM :ultpikachu: 2nd Seed: MKLeo :ultmarth::ultjoker: 3rd Seed: Light :ultfox: 4th Seed: Armada :ultinkling:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Why should I listen to you when you were suggesting me to do stupid **** in my edgegaurding?
I think you're mixing me up with someone else because I never suggested anything of the sort.

Maybe you'd realize as much if you stopped projecting so hard about playing a busted character who's only flaw is an inability to go fishing.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I think you're mixing me up with someone else because I never suggested anything of the sort.

Maybe you'd realize as much if you stopped projecting so hard about playing a busted character who's only flaw is an inability to go fishing.
If you honestly think that’s Inkling’s only flaw, you haven’t been paying attention. They have terrible/weak oos options, a non-offensive recovery, an inconsistent projectile, extremely weak throws, a ridiculously slow spike, only one pretty good offensive aerial with the others extending the hurt box or having extremely weak range, weak tilts, smash attacks that lose knockback when ink is unavailable despite being risky and hard to land, and they have to manage an ink tank or most of their moves don’t work. I actually want them to have a better kill option but in exchange for a strength or readjustment. In cases of the other “hard to kill with” characters, I think they need straight up buffs.

I’m sorry for mistakenly targeting you, it’s just ridiculously frustrating when a person comes out to act like an ass when they obviously don’t really know what they’re even talking about.

At first you were saying that the problem was rage now the problem is DI, tech and recoveries, and can you tell us what archetype these characters belongs to? And I dont know what are you talking in your last part, if Joker is succeful doesnt that mean that the problem is not the archetype but the undertuned character??
The latter things contribute back to the rage issue. It’s basically how longevity works in this game. I thought that the argument would be obvious if you understood the rage mechanic. So infinite teching would be a huge no when rage and the recoveries were already pretty ridiculous in this game.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just watched a couple Cosmos sets against evasive characters with good recoveries, Esam's Pikachu and Marss's ZSS, and while he lost both they rarely lived above 150%. Against Pikachu he did a fantastic job playing around the Rat's range with spaced smash attacks, and against ZSS he was good at getting Boo-yahs. If they started getting to around 150-ish though, he was still often able to kill them right at the ledge.

It is true that they did once or twice survive to very high percents around 160% with Pika and 175 with ZSS, so it'd still be a lie to say Inkling's kill power is totally consistent (although its worth noting this was against some of the most evasive characters in the game).

I can sort see where you are coming from, B BlackInk , but I think your attitude is a bit too negative here. You're saying Inkling's kill power is inconsistent, which is true, but your tone makes it sound like you're saying Inkling has has some massive kill power issues when they're more of an annoyance then anything. You're also conflating a frustration with your character's flaws as an issue with the entire game's engine and design, while feeling the need to drag characters like Charizard and Joker into it.

You can't always predict or count on buffs, but you can try to push your character's meta as far as you can. I saw Cosmos get some creative kills today. Pessimism towards Inkling and towards the game will just hurt your ability to innovate and try new strategies.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
[
I just watched a couple Cosmos sets against evasive characters with good recoveries, Esam's Pikachu and Marss's ZSS, and while he lost both they rarely lived above 150%. Against Pikachu he did a fantastic job playing around the Rat's range with spaced smash attacks, and against ZSS he was good at getting Boo-yahs. If they started getting to around 150-ish though, he was still often able to kill them right at the ledge.

It is true that they did once or twice survive to very high percents around 160% with Pika and 175 with ZSS, so it'd still be a lie to say Inkling's kill power is totally consistent (although its worth noting this was against some of the most evasive characters in the game).

I can sort see where you are coming from, B BlackInk , but I think your attitude is a bit too negative here. You're saying Inkling's kill power is inconsistent, which is true, but your tone makes it sound like you're saying Inkling has has some massive kill power issues when they're more of an annoyance then anything. You're also conflating a frustration with your character's flaws as an issue with the entire game's engine and design, while feeling the need to drag characters like Charizard and Joker into it.

You can't always predict or count on buffs, but you can try to push your character's meta as far as you can. I saw Cosmos get some creative kills today. Pessimism towards Inkling and towards the game will just hurt your ability to innovate and try new strategies.
It’s not I can’t see Inkling players do well with Inkling but I think they have to carry them pretty hard just like the characters with similar kill issues and try harder than the average player to consistently avoid pretty degenerate moves. Void can get really creative kills with Sheik but it doesn’t mean their kill issue is an “if” or he doesn’t run into jank moves. Also, ZSS and Pikachu are actually pretty light characters, it’s much more unlikely to stumble into Inkling’s kill issue with them. However, it’s easier to see the ridiculousness of it with Wario and Shulk.

I only connect Charzard and Joker into the topic because they do show off the flawed design of ultimate, forced and completely undeserved come backs despite being pretty good with consistent kill confirms or Ivysaur. It makes Ultimate’s design look pretty cheap and it just happens that characters with struggling kill power will run into these issues and maximizes them the most. So even if you fix the characters to fit more into Ultimate’s design with good and consistent kill power, we will still have some pretty dumb ****. At best, buffing the characters to have better kill options is pretty much a glorified band-aid to the real issue of this game.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here are the matches for pool 2:

Marss:ultzss: 3-1 Maister:ultgnw:
Marss:ultzss: 3-0 RFang:ultpichu:
Marss:ultzss: 2-3 Samsora:ultpeach:
Samsora:ultpeach::ultzss: 1-3 Maister:ultgnw:
Samsora:ultpeach: 3-0 RFang:ultpichu:
Maister:ultgnw: 3-0 RFang:ultpichu:

Seeding:
1. Marss:ultzss:
2. Maister:ultgnw:
3. Samsora:ultpeach:
4. RFang:ultpichu:

Poor RFang got massacred out there. Anyways, Maister's momentum from Nightmare is indeed going strong.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Is this the first time we've seen Samsora pull out :ultzss: as a secondary? I don't blame him, :ultgnw: has a history of giving :ultpeach: a hard time, just like how :ultzss: has a history of giving :ultgnw: a hard time as well.

EDIT: On the subject of :ultmarth:, MKLeo has actually been doing a very good job of landing tippers with Marth rather consistently, based off of what I've seen recently. Props to him to nearly perfecting the time of a Dancing Blade tipper, and the knockback of that move arguably surpasses even :ultroy:'s sweetspotted Double-Edge Dance; that and FTilt are looking to be the two big things Marth has over his Echo Fighter counterpart.

While Summit's going on, there's also going to be a fairly stacked PGR event known as the Overlords of Orlanda. It's only a C-Tier, but it's still got quite a fair share of notable players.

Notable Players;

- Dark Wizzy :ultmario:
- MVD :ultsnake:
- Salem :ultsnake::ulthero:
-Pandarian :ultpokemontrainerf:(:ulttoonlink:)
- Kobe :ultyounglink:(:ultlucina:)
- Myran :ultolimar:
- Epic_Gabriel :ultrob:
- Goblin :ultroy:
- Mr E :ultlucina:
- Morpheus :ultmegaman:
- Mew2King :ultwolf::ultbowser:
- Daybreak :ultwolf:
- uncivil ninja :ultshulk:
- ChocoTaco :ultlucas:
- Dath :ultrobin:

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Here are the matches for pool 2:

Marss:ultzss: 3-1 Maister:ultgnw:
Marss:ultzss: 3-0 RFang:ultpichu:
Marss:ultzss: 2-3 Samsora:ultpeach:
Samsora:ultpeach::ultzss: 1-3 Maister:ultgnw:
Samsora:ultpeach: 3-0 RFang:ultpichu:
Maister:ultgnw: 3-0 RFang:ultpichu:

Seeding:
1. Marss:ultzss:
2. Maister:ultgnw:
3. Samsora:ultpeach:
4. RFang:ultpichu:

Poor RFang got massacred out there. Anyways, Maister's momentum from Nightmare is indeed going strong.
Why's RFang at Summit again?

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Yeah, let’s pile on Rfang for not taking out the three top player mains of characters that both Pichu and his evolution have massive struggles with.

That whole pool is basically anti-rat.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Yeah, let’s pile on Rfang for not taking out the three top player mains of characters that both Pichu and his evolution have massive struggles with.

That whole pool is basically anti-rat.

Not to try to dump on RFang. But I thought The electric rats did well vs :ultzss: at least. Being the small, slippery characters she is known to have issues with.

Then again Pichu is like dead at 70-80 if ZSS does manage to land a boost-kick or Flip-kick. So....

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Not to try to dump on RFang. But I thought The electric rats did well vs :ultzss: at least. Being the small, slippery characters she is known to have issues with.

Then again Pichu is like dead at 70-80 if ZSS does manage to land a boost-kick or Flip-kick. So....
In that case it’s more that Marss has a positive record on ESAM, rather than an MU thing in particular.

NairWizard

Somewhere
People say that Pichu beats ZSS just because he's small and hard to hit. That's true, but it's actually only half the story, because he can't hit her either. Almost everything he does on shield can get up-b'ed, and outside of fall speed Pichu is medium-speed, with limited range. He's not good at punishing Flip Jumps across the stage, and he's going to get z-air combo'd if he tries to approach through the air. If both ZSS and Pichu play not to get hit in the MU, ZSS always wins it.

In bracket I actually actively use ZSS as a Pichu counterpick.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

A big problem in any match up is that Pichu has no neutral and will also take a lot of self-damage. This will not be a problem if isn’t for the fact their up-b is ridiculously vulnerable, their weight is super bad, and they have lost a great deal of kill power. I wish for a patch to take away the self-damage so Pichu doesn’t do 20% to himself for using their kit because they already have pretty awful weaknesses without the self-damage. It’s not like a maybe situation like slightly buffing the kill power for characters like Inkling to consistently kill at 150% instead of 180%-200% because of potential rage jank or dumb comeback mechanics. It’s a situation where they legitimately need it to happen so they’ll have a much stronger nuetral in exchange their weakened kill power and increased vulnerability.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Trying to say this politely, but this isn't really a request patches thread... I mean it is sometimes, but the goal is not that. We talk about what we have, and if something changes we talk about how it will effect the meta.

Also, we reactively call characters the best each time they win a large tournament, but that's just smash in general =]

Consistent killing is a positive or negative trait for characters, many trade consistent setups for the ability to turn the game around in an instant. You can't get chipped or jabbed to death in smash, you have to get hit with a kill move... which are constantly expanding as your damage increases. Its part of the appeal of the game.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Trying to say this politely, but this isn't really a request patches thread... I mean it is sometimes, but the goal is not that. We talk about what we have, and if something changes we talk about how it will effect the meta.

Also, we reactively call characters the best each time they win a large tournament, but that's just smash in general =]

Consistent killing is a positive or negative trait for characters, many trade consistent setups for the ability to turn the game around in an instant. You can't get chipped or jabbed to death in smash, you have to get hit with a kill move... which are constantly expanding as your damage increases. Its part of the appeal of the game.
Actually, there are jabs in this game that kill. I honestly cannot understand why but they are in this game. The big problem with “hard to kill with” characters is that they don’t have any kill moves at really high percents so it’s makes their damage gimmick pretty dumb and renders nearly all of them as unviable because of it. There are some exceptions but they’re not the rule.

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Actually, there are jabs in this game that kill. I honestly cannot understand why but they are in this game. The big problem with “hard to kill with” characters is that they don’t have any kill moves at really high percents so it’s makes their damage gimmick pretty dumb and renders nearly all of them as unviable because of it. There are some exceptions but they’re not the rule.
Except for maybe Bayonetta, every character in this archetype is doing fairly well for themselves. Sonic has been tearing it up with KEN and Sonido. VoiD has been slamming PGR players with Sheik. Little needs to be said about Inkling, (Cosmos and Space) Pikachu busted, (Esam) etc. They really aren’t struggling. And Inkling buffs? In her case it’s starting to feel like someone who takes in 2 million a year complaining about taxes making that ‘only’ 1 million. Face reality. Inkling can kill. A good example is Cosmos against Leon at MSM. https://youtu.be/Yoa11htTIL8 Cosmos is playing Inkling against literally the heaviest character in the game and consistently takes stpicks before 150 except for the last stock. Remember Leon is the literal best :ultbowser: in the world by a large margin and a PGR player. Or here against fatality who plays another heavy in :ultfalcon:. Fatality lives to 150 one time and dies at or below a hundred consistently https://youtu.be/h9sSBadD7nU. Or even Space against Leo https://youtu.be/8cA9dxycf9A. Leo lives above 150 twice as one of the most elusive characters in the game and the undisputed best player in the world. Inkling’s kill power isn’t the issue, it’s your mindset. Matter of fact even Sheik doesn’t even have issues nearly as bad as you claim. Look at VoiD vs Yeti. Against a heavy character who also specializes at keeping the opponent out like :ultmegaman:, he still manages to kill him consistently around 120-130 and only lets him live past 150 once. Especially after lamenting about the issues of these characters for days on end now, you’re really just sounding whiny to me. You’ve complained more about a top 10 character in the past week than any of the low-mid tier mains have in the past month. Again, this seems like something that you need to fix with a mindset change instead of patch 5.1.0.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
A big problem in any match up is that Pichu has no neutral and will also take a lot of self-damage.
Pichu absolutely has a neutral. Nair comes out frame 3 and is -4 on shield. Bair comes out on frame 5, crosses up and leaves his hurtbox close to the ground which makes it hard to punish. The character struggles a bit with movement speed and range, but T-jolt, while not spammable like his big brother's, can still be used to cover approaches. Then you have their good air acceleration and tiny hurtbox on top of their strong frame data and they can be a real pain to hit in any gamestate.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Inklings killpower is pretty much fine. You have a frame9 oos upsmash which is ok, Your airials can setup into techchases which can easily lead to roller or jablocks you can also observe their roll pattern for landing a easy roller, the window for it is small but you do have a killconfirm. Learn percentages and if you complain about rage then do what smash4 players did and lab how rage affects the combo and i won't say anything to gimping since this already happened but you have some sick ledgetraps with splatbomb. If you place the splatbomb in the neutral getup position you can space yourself for covering ledgeroll and ledgejump without having to worry about neutralgetup or getup attack you can also place it at the roll distance and cover neutral, attack, jumpgetup and ledgedrop airial while holding shield. You will probably find kills on the ledge. You have dtilt and dsmash which both 2frame idk what the inklings labbed if it works on everyone but i guess dtilt at least works on pretty much every non tether recovery and gets your opponent into pretty uncomfortable situations while dsmash might outright kill because they don't have a jump or have the percentages for it.

Btw i swear if you complain about your jab one more time i'll hit you irl. Inkling jab is completely busted. (so is her dash)

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here are the results for pool 3 of Summit.

Dabuz:ultolimar::ultrosalina: 3-1 Zackray:ultrob::ultridley:
Dabuz:ultolimar: 3-1 Tweek:ultwolf::ultwario:
Dabuz:ultpalutena: 3-0 MuteAce:ultpeach:
Zackray:ultjoker::ultrob: 3-2 Tweek:ultwario::ultpokemontrainerf:
Zackray:ultgnw: 3-2 MuteAce:ultpeach:
Tweek:ultwario: 3-0 MuteAce:ultpeach:

Seeding:
1st: Dabuz:ultolimar::ultpalutena::ultrosalina:
2nd: Zackray:ultrob::ultjoker::ultgnw:
3rd: Tweek:ultwario::ultpokemontrainerf:
4th: MuteAce:ultpeach:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Dabuz has been a roll this Summit, even getting his revenge against zackray, yikes; gotta feel for Tweek when Dabuz landed that grab on him despite the crossup, though. It feels like there’s always some new janky thing that pops up about Olimar.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I read earlier that it was stated that inkling's oos game is subpar. Upsmash, nair (it has a small hitbox), and bair are good options out of shield.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Inklings killpower is pretty much fine. You have a frame9 oos upsmash which is ok, Your airials can setup into techchases which can easily lead to roller or jablocks you can also observe their roll pattern for landing a easy roller, the window for it is small but you do have a killconfirm. Learn percentages and if you complain about rage then do what smash4 players did and lab how rage affects the combo and i won't say anything to gimping since this already happened but you have some sick ledgetraps with splatbomb. If you place the splatbomb in the neutral getup position you can space yourself for covering ledgeroll and ledgejump without having to worry about neutralgetup or getup attack you can also place it at the roll distance and cover neutral, attack, jumpgetup and ledgedrop airial while holding shield. You will probably find kills on the ledge. You have dtilt and dsmash which both 2frame idk what the inklings labbed if it works on everyone but i guess dtilt at least works on pretty much every non tether recovery and gets your opponent into pretty uncomfortable situations while dsmash might outright kill because they don't have a jump or have the percentages for it.

Btw i swear if you complain about your jab one more time i'll hit you irl. Inkling jab is completely busted. (so is her dash)
Roller is pretty terrible bury tool if you ask me and it seems to show what’s wrong with Ultimate. I honestly don’t understand why it’s so unsafe and brings in little to no gurrenteed rewards when the much safer buries offer way more rewards and do a lot more to make them much more offensive and defensive. It’s like the game loves to lower down risk and heavily reward the safest and cheap crap.

I know how Inkling’s ledge set up is supposed to work. The problem is that the splatbomb itself isn’t consistent at all and you can jump from ledge and not get hit by it. The frame data of get ups is completely different with each characrer and some of them are actually 1-frame get ups with small hurt boxes and that’s pretty terrible game design when 80 characters is way too much, so every character has to deal with the same kind of ledge trash. I do think think Inkling should get their kills specifically from the ledge set up or around the ledge but with some stronger tools like a stronger back throw (which kills around 150%). I’m sorry that I haven’t really explained how exactly Inkling is supposed to get kills beforehand because I am more focused on the general picture of the characters in the same category as Inkling instead of Inkling herself. The idea I have is that the characters with bad kill power can kill their opponent at their most vulnerable position with a decent, usable kill tool that depends on one strict condition. I’m only trying to debate if that’s a good idea for the meta because I really like a lot of the characters with bad killing power for some reason.

I didn’t even talk about Inking’s jab, I just said that some jabs actually do kill in the game (like Palutena’s). Plus, I don’t want any kill options to ever be that easy to land because that’ll be really dumb. I believe that a kill should depend on conditions.

I read earlier that it was stated that inkling's oos game is subpar. Upsmash, nair (it has a small hitbox), and bair are good options out of shield.
Backair is not an out of sheild option. Upsmash is pretty situational, has limited range, leave you vulnerable for punishes, and will waste ink. It’s considered as a clutch option. Neutral air can’t hit opponents unless the opponent is pretty close and in the same velocity as the neutral air. With Inkling, you really need to learn parries to stay out of the pressure. This might be why Inkling has a great and fast jab, to punish opponents more easily for good parries.

Last edited:

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Eh i won't buy into your answer because it's literally kinda useless but another tip: You are supposed to cover the jump not your bomb. you react to either the roll or jump and punish accordingly.
When inkling bair is officially not a oos option then Palu nair isn't either lol.

Also i do agree that Bayo could use some killpower(shiek has a multitude on killconfirms around the percentages you demand her being able to kill so yeah) but the character that actually really needs more killpower is duck hunt. Duck hunt players would probably murder someone to get inklings backthrow.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Eh i won't buy into your answer because it's literally kinda useless but another tip: You are supposed to cover the jump not your bomb. you react to either the roll or jump and punish accordingly.
When inkling bair is officially not a oos option then Palu nair isn't either lol.

Also i do agree that Bayo could use some killpower(shiek has a multitude on killconfirms around the percentages you demand her being able to kill so yeah) but the character that actually really needs more killpower is duck hunt. Duck hunt players would probably murder someone to get inklings backthrow.
Inkling’s backthrow doesn’t even kill at 190%... It’s actually really frustrating to keep hearing this crap.

Seriously, if Inkling’s backair was an oos option, Inkling mains would use it more.

Sheik has kill confirms but once the confirms are gone, she’s screwed over.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Dabuz has been a roll this Summit, even getting his revenge against zackray, yikes; gotta feel for Tweek when Dabuz landed that grab on him despite the crossup, though. It feels like there’s always some new janky thing that pops up about Olimar.
What are you talking about? Everything about Olimar is working as intended.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Roller is pretty terrible bury tool if you ask me and it seems to show what’s wrong with Ultimate.
I'd love to see what you consider a good burying tool.

Also I main K. Rool and I'd gladly trade any of his aerials for Inklings.
(At least they short-hop auto-cancel compared to K. Rool's which don't)

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here are the results for round 3:

Nairo:ultpalutena: 3-0 Tea:ultpacman::ultroy:
Nairo:ultpalutena: 2-3 VoiD:ultpichu:
Nairo:ultpalutena: 3-0 Leffen:ultpokemontrainerf:
Tea:ultpacman: 3-0 VoiD:ultjoker::ultpichu::ultsheik:
Tea:ultpacman: 3-1 Leffen:ultpokemontrainerf:
VoiD:ultpichu::ultsheik: 3-1 Leffen:ultpokemontrainerf: (Won games 1 & 4 with Pichu, and game 3 with Sheik)

Seeding:
1st: Nairo:ultpalutena:
2nd: Tea:ultpacman:
3rd: VoiD:ultpichu::ultsheik:
4th: Leffen:ultpokemontrainerf:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the main bracket:
ESAM:ultpikachu: vs MuteAce:ultpeach:
Maister:ultgnw: vs VoiD:ultpichu::ultsheik:
Nairo:ultpalutena: vs RFang:ultpichu:
Zackray:ultrob::ultjoker::ultgnw: vs Light:ultfox:
Marss:ultzss: vs Leffen:ultpokemontrainerf:
MkLeo:ultmarth::ultjoker: vs Tweek:ultwario::ultpokemontrainerf:
Dabuz:ultolimar::ultpalutena::ultrosalina: vs Armada:ultinkling:
Tea:ultpacman: vs Samsora:ultpeach:

Top Bottom