• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Rizen

Smash Legend
I won't bother replying to the Zelda discussion. It's getting pretty tiring not because there isn't more to say but thinking about what to write is so time consuming :p.

Anyway, a rather interesting Tweet from Leo about Palu and other characters:
I'm curious to see who Leo thinks is top 5 if :ultpalutena: isn't. Especially after the nerfs to other characters she's been getting results all over. He's right about Joker although not exactly Mr.Humility calling himself a god, lol.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I'm curious to see who Leo thinks is top 5 if :ultpalutena: isn't. Especially after the nerfs to other characters she's been getting results all over. He's right about Joker although not exactly Mr.Humility calling himself a god, lol.
I don't know who he thinks of but I can imagine that these characters have good chances beating her:
:ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultfox::ultpokemontrainerf::ultroy::ultsnake::ultjoker::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultgreninja::ultzss::ultwario::ultolimar:(:ultyounglink::ultrob::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmario:)
These are actually quite a lot characters that he might consider as better. Not sure about those in the ()
Like, that are nearly 20 characters and I may have missed out on some. Shows again how much potential each of these characters have.

E: I left out :ultpichu: on purpose. Don't really think he can keep anymore with the higher self-damage and removal of fTilt...

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't know who he thinks of but I can imagine that these characters have good chances beating her:
:ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultfox::ultpokemontrainerf::ultroy::ultsnake::ultjoker::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultgreninja::ultzss::ultwario::ultolimar:(:ultyounglink::ultrob::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmario:)
These are actually quite a lot characters that he might consider as better. Not sure about those in the ()
Like, that are nearly 20 characters and I may have missed out on some. Shows again how much potential each of these characters have.

E: I left out :ultpichu: on purpose. Don't really think he can keep anymore with the higher self-damage and removal of fTilt...
Definitely not ROB. I don't think he's anywhere close to as good as Palutena. He's got a couple of obnoxious boxing tools and a side b that can kill very early offstage but he's a massive character who has deceptively small hitboxes on his non burner moves for his size, a horrific disadvantage and who loses to most of the characters who are in relevant discussion for being top/high tiers, often badly. The ability to kill spacies stupidly early isn't adequate trade for how badly he loses to Pikachu, ZSS, Peach, Palu, Greninja, and most of the FE cast.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I woke up today and checked the results for LTC7. Here is the notable results that I have noticed throughout the weekend.

:ultpokemontrainerf: Tweek's Trainer, aside from Dabuz resetting the bracket, swept through the entire tournament. Pandarian also getting 7th is an added bonus. The Trainer has been gaining even more ground lately than he/she already has. Needless to say, the Trainer is the FotM.
:ultluigi: Luigi's results just keep rising and rising with time. This weekend provides a good example of such, with Elegant and Navy getting 4th at LTC7 and SSP6, receptively. Excited to see what future advancements they bring to the table.
:ultryu::ultken: Sandstorms' impressive performance with the Shotos are pretty notable. It especially shows the power of being able to switch between them can bring.
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: Joker also did a pretty nice performance with Samus as well. After YB's performance of Prime Saga, Samus kind of went silent for a while in bigger events (YB went back to his cocoon of being a Japanese Wi-Fi player), so it is cool to see another notable U.S.A. performance for the character.
:ultsonic: KEN is back, and with a victory at SSP6. Considering how solid Sonic is now, imagine how powerful he can be when his multi-hits are fixed.
:ultdiddy: Dakpo pulled off a decent performance at LTC7 as well, so that is something to look out for.

Btw, 2GG: Breakthrough 2019 has occurred during all of this under the radar. The winner of the tournament happens to be Kiraflax:ultrob::ultdarkpit:.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Wasn't someone asking for a Zelda MU chart from Ven? Well', it's not exactly from Ven but from Mystearica (best Zelda with Ven).
Note that this is apparently a pessimistic take from Myst, so dunno. But it's pretty much identical with what I think about her Mu spread.
Still putting it in spoilers so it doesn't litter that topic:
I'd do some minor tweaks (moving Belmonts into 55:45).

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I won't bother replying to the Zelda discussion. It's getting pretty tiring not because there isn't more to say but thinking about what to write is so time consuming :p.

Anyway, a rather interesting Tweet from Leo about Palu and other characters:
Funny, I remember disagreeing with MKLeo's old tier chart where he originally put Palutena at Top 5.

I don't really know what a top 5 would look like anymore. My guess is Snake, Wolf, Olimar, Peach and Joker, with Top 10 rounding out at Palutena, Inkling, Pokémon Trainer, ZSS and Wario. A lot of these characters are either way too well rounded or in close proximity through stellar results for me to think that anyone in that particular realm of characters can be ordered. They're just too scarily close to each other, and as of now it really does feel like it's the strength of the players that's determining the edge. MKLeo can be expected to outpace those below him, followed by Tweek, followed by Dabuz, followed by Marss, etc. And it's hard to say it's on the back of the character picks when the two best players right now place so well through multiple characters.

I'm actually kind of interested how Snake will fare in the new season, especially if Salem sticks with Shulk and Mr.R commits to being a swordie.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace

You forgot :ultchrom:.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I don't really know what a top 5 would look like anymore. My guess is Snake, Wolf, Olimar, Peach and Joker, with Top 10 rounding out at Palutena, Inkling, Pokémon Trainer, ZSS and maybe Lucina.
My current Top 5 is :ultpikachu: :ultsnake: :ultpeach: followed by either :ultwolf:, :ultfox:, :ultroy:, and/or :ultlucina:. It's hard to order those four characters as they are all good enough in their own way to make an argument for including them. My Top 10 would also include :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultjoker:, and :ultzss:.

I have a really hard time considering characters with such an awful recovery in these realms (personal preference).
Having a bad recovery does harm a character, but there have been Top 10 characters with really bad recoveries in past Smash games (and even in Ultimate) like :olimar:, :falco:, and :4cloud:.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
I'm with Leo in thinking that Palu being top 5 is wack. Out of the currently perceived top 10, she's the one with biggest holes in her gameplan since her lack of tilts or a quick jab make her overly reliant on burst options (dash grab/attack) and ShFf aerials. Sure they're great, but without a ground game to unify those options, she ends up taking risks just to exert her presence in neutral which can be exploited by characters with strong midrange games who don't need to approach or commit hard in neutral (Gren, Wolf, Marthcina, probably Megaman and Inkling too) or characters with similar burst range to catch landings and break zones, but with superior CQC (also Gren, Joker, Pikas and probably Fox). Her positive state allows her circumvent these issues due the reward she gets from reads, but I think her issues in neutral will catch up with her sooner or later and bite her in the butt.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Gosh this Zelda discussion is still going? Jeez.

A buff is a buff. Even if it's a buff that doesn't especially synergize with a kit, it's still a buff. Having a little extra movement to run away with or occasionally chase a roll, landing or air dodge can't be a bad thing no matter who your character is. So yes, if you put ZSS's mobility stats on Zelda she'd be better.

I don't know why we have clutter up the thread with massive walls of text to argue about a pointless hypothetical like this.

blackghost

Smash Champion

this list is extremely generous. although maybe it's just the included bracket characters that make it so. i'd replace either greninja or wario with ken. and keeping fox in the top 10 is looking like it's not going to hold as well long term.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I'm actually kind of interested how Snake will fare in the new season, especially if Salem sticks with Shulk and Mr.R commits to being a swordie.
Speaking of Salem, I'm surprised he didn't go :ultshulk: at all at Aurora Blitz 2; it would've been good practice for him, especially since the tournament didn't have a lot of stakes involved.

I figured he would at least use him once against Dark Wizzy, especially considering that Shulk has an arguably easier time against Mario than Snake does, and D. Wizzy treats Shulk as if he's an unstoppable god lol

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Funny, I remember disagreeing with MKLeo's old tier chart where he originally put Palutena at Top 5.

I don't really know what a top 5 would look like anymore. My guess is Snake, Wolf, Olimar, Peach and Joker, with Top 10 rounding out at Palutena, Inkling, Pokémon Trainer, ZSS and Wario. A lot of these characters are either way too well rounded or in close proximity through stellar results for me to think that anyone in that particular realm of characters can be ordered. They're just too scarily close to each other, and as of now it really does feel like it's the strength of the players that's determining the edge. MKLeo can be expected to outpace those below him, followed by Tweek, followed by Dabuz, followed by Marss, etc. And it's hard to say it's on the back of the character picks when the two best players right now place so well through multiple characters.

I don't really see Peach being top 5 material anymore due to her awful Joker matchup and the shortcomings she gained after her nerfs

Top 3 is unquestionably a combination of Snake, Joker, Olimar with any of ZSS, Wario and Pokemon Trainer potentially rounding out top 4 & 5 respectively.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think Olimar can be top tier again until his shield gets fixed.

Snake is likely the best in the game and Joker could be second. The rest of top tier in no specific order is :ultfox::ultinkling::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainerf::ultwario::ultzss::ultwolf: and maybe :ultroy::ultchrom::ultgreninja:

D

Deleted member

I don’t think Olimar can be top tier again until his shield gets fixed.

Snake is likely the best in the game and Joker could be second. The rest of top tier in no specific order is :ultfox::ultinkling::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainerf::ultwario::ultzss::ultwolf: and maybe :ultroy::ultchrom::ultgreninja:
I think Olimar is still a top tier. Looking at Dabuz at Albion 4, and also Shuton an Sumabato SP 6, the nerfs don't seem as bad to me. He's doing absolutely phenomonal and he's absolutely frightening to see how quickly he racks up damage with his Pikmin and KO as early as 90% against someone like Wario.

Not sure is Joker and Snake could be second and best characters respectively. Still a lot of debate and momentum being thrown all over the places, not to mention attributes being strong in different places.

Last edited by a moderator:

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
I think Olimar is still a top tier. Looking at Dabuz at Albion 4, and also Shuton an Sumabato SP 6, the nerfs don't seem as bad to me. He's doing absolutely phenomonal and he's absolutely frightening to see how quickly he racks up damage with his Pikmin and KO as early as 90% against someone like Wario.
Maybe he could be on the lower end of top tier, but I don’t see him being top 3 at the moment, as I’ve definitely seen some cases(mostly with Myran) where he got killed due to the shield issue despite holding shield.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:ultfox: I honetlstly questioning is "top tier" at the rate he seems to be falling. Around the top-of high tier yeah. But some cracks are beginning to show in his game plan. I think :ultwolf: is also suspectable to dropping

:ultsnake: is definelty top 5, still might even be best in the game losing one or 2 notablevplauers is not going to change that. But his wall is not impenatrable. Characters like :ultinkling: :ultzss: :ultjoker:who jave the mobility and tricky manuverability to jive around and keep peck away at him around him can give him some trouble at times

:ultolimar: is still top tier. Still likely top-5 material of his sheildpoke issue gets resolved

:ultpeach: is top 10, likely not top 5. Her MU's she had issues with before the patch are a bit worse.

Last edited:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I don't value results as much as other people do. When I think a character is top tier it's not just because a pro player uses him, but what that character can do. I don't think Joker is top tier because his tools don't really scream top tier to me. I don't see whats so great about his projectiles and his normal attacks, Arsene is a different story but I don't think it means the whole character is top 5 or something like that. Basically the actual character first, their matchup spread, and then the results is what the order is for me.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Gosh this Zelda discussion is still going? Jeez.

A buff is a buff. Even if it's a buff that doesn't especially synergize with a kit, it's still a buff. Having a little extra movement to run away with or occasionally chase a roll, landing or air dodge can't be a bad thing no matter who your character is. So yes, if you put ZSS's mobility stats on Zelda she'd be better.

I don't know why we have clutter up the thread with massive walls of text to argue about a pointless hypothetical like this.
Might be because you all jumped on me for stating specific characters didn't benefit significantly and I felt compelled to explain my reasoning. Despite you all more or less saying the same thing later on and yet still arguing against me for reasons I can't fathom. Don't get all offended over a conversation you started, just because you didn't like how it turned out.

Don't worry though, I was thoroughly reminded why I don't set foot in places like this very often, despite their being some cool posters here. I'll **** out of here and you can go back to your regular programming of bickering over which of the same few top tiers should be placed where, occasionally broken up with random tweets and charts from top players.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Roy for top 5-10? I thought we considered him high tier. I mean, I think hes an amazing character but does he stack up well to the perceived top tiers? He must have trouble with Snake and Lucina especially but guess I can see him giving characters like Joker, Wolf, and Wario some trouble himself.

I also think he's better than Chrom but that's my opinion.

Speaking of Lucina, how is Marth? Lucina completely took over his reign it seems but I think the guy at least has some potential no?

Last edited:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
I always thought Roy and Chrom were top tier, specifically top 15. Their kill power, speed, damage, is just that good.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Calling PT simply a flavor of the month when Tweek plowed through and swept through brackets with no difficulty seems.....well I don't know how to put it.
PT placed high in a seriously large tourney and you still doubt them because "LOL disadvantage state sucks" or "It's just because they're popular".
I'm actually fairly annoyed by this because as Thinkaman pointed out PTs have been making waves long before this and even if more patches are released PT hasn't hit a skill wall yet. (Sorry for not using the icons. Using my smartphone for this is tough)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
S StoicPhantom perhaps my tone implied that I considered that some match up breaking strategy, I didn't - nevertheless it does increase the interactivity. Baiting something isn't going to work more than once against competent players, but the dynamic does change if you have a lead and Zelda does have to take risks.

You didn't state how long that cooldown was though (I was interested!) - but knowing that my next choice afterwards isn't overlapping with a medium or higher charge phantom, is a lot of REACTIVE power taken away from Zelda. Even if only half a second or less, considering how much charge phantom needs to 'zone' people out or cover most options, it's the difference between a blade-less phantom being thrown at me and/or Zelda not being able to act independently by the time I reach my ideal mid-range spacing - it adds up. Dismantling projectile zoners in such a way (encroaching their space safely and then taking advantage of start ups rather than trying to force something in their optimal game state) is common practice against all the zoners

Perhaps you don't have enough experience vs players who understand zoners rather than just basing things on character match ups where their unaltered gameplans automatically put her on the back foot? Or that making assumptions doesn't really advance a discussion or argument.

P.S. If not obvious, I do think Zelda is a solid character in this game.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
S StoicPhantom perhaps my tone implied that I considered that some match up breaking strategy, I didn't - nevertheless it does increase the interactivity. Baiting something isn't going to work more than once against competent players, but the dynamic does change if you have a lead and Zelda does have to take risks.

You didn't state how long that cooldown was though (I was interested!) - but knowing that my next choice afterwards isn't overlapping with a medium or higher charge phantom, is a lot of REACTIVE power taken away from Zelda. Even if only half a second or less, considering how much charge phantom needs to 'zone' people out or cover most options, it's the difference between a blade-less phantom being thrown at me and/or Zelda not being able to act independently by the time I reach my ideal mid-range spacing - it adds up. Dismantling projectile zoners in such a way (encroaching their space safely and then taking advantage of start ups rather than trying to force something in their optimal game state) isn't unique to her.

Perhaps you don't have enough experience vs players who understand zoners rather than just basing things on character match ups where their unaltered gameplans automatically put her on the back foot? Or that making assumptions doesn't really advance a discussion or argument.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you thought that. I meant that by the time Zelda got into a position where she can safely charge it again, the cool down would be over. It's not like Luma, where Rosa is vulnerable for a bit, the cool down is pretty much redundant when you factor in other things. I can't seem to find the cool down numbers off hand, I think they are lumped together with the destruction animation in our board resource(105F).

I was mostly just letting you know from my personal experience and watching high level Zelda play, that intentionally destroying Phantom isn't that useful, outside of when you have no way to evade it otherwise. Phantom lingers for a bit, so Zelda won't be able to use it again until after it disappears. Depending on what you meant by destroying it of course. If you are trying to destroy it after it already completed it's attack and is lingering, that's what I'm saying isn't beneficial and might open you up to a punish, because as I mentioned above, Phantom's body slows and prolongs your hitbox. Higher charges will also be pretty much impossible to destroy, Charge 5 and 6 can tank Flare Blitz and carry Charizard off for instance.

As for the rest of your post, I'm afraid I don't know what you're trying to say. It reads like you are addressing something entirely different than the first half, but I'm afraid I'm out of the loop. Yes I do have experience with people who understand zoners, no I don't know what assumptions you are referring too. I'm also not sure what this:
Dismantling projectile zoners in such a way (encroaching their space safely and then taking advantage of start ups rather than trying to force something in their optimal game state) isn't unique to her.
is referring too either. I don't know that I mentioned anything about Zelda dismantling projectile zoners, can you clarify?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Might be because you all jumped on me for stating specific characters didn't benefit significantly and I felt compelled to explain my reasoning. Despite you all more or less saying the same thing later on and yet still arguing against me for reasons I can't fathom. Don't get all offended over a conversation you started, just because you didn't like how it turned out.

Don't worry though, I was thoroughly reminded why I don't set foot in places like this very often, despite their being some cool posters here. I'll **** out of here and you can go back to your regular programming of bickering over which of the same few top tiers should be placed where, occasionally broken up with random tweets and charts from top players.
Alright maybe I got a little aggressive.

But you didn't say she and Robin wouldn't benefit significantly, you said they wouldn't benefit at all and even implied Zelda might be hurt by it more then helped. That's what I thought was so silly.

That's the argument that I though was so silly. If you just said "Zelda wouldn't benefit from mobility boosts as much as other characters" or "her kit isn't especially designed to take full advatage of extra mobility", I would have agreed.

Either way I don't see how this conversation has dragged on as long as it did.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm also not sure what this:

is referring too either. I don't know that I mentioned anything about Zelda dismantling projectile zoners, can you clarify?
Sorry, my wording there sucked (I changed it!). But strategies to overcome projectile zoners focusing on gaining whatever frame advantages you can gleam. 15f is roughly covering most of the cast's dash to shield, so anything larger than that does have some practical relevance, imo. To step back a little, this was originally in reference to "what are you going to do about phantom shot out at max range" (or any range that you weren't forced to shield/etc) - I think we would both agree isn't "that useful", but it can give a slightly extra edge than otherwise.

As the subject accidentally got brought up, how does Zelda do against Rosalina at the moment?

Rather than big moves like Charizard Flare Blitz, I'd tend to use be using tilts instead. I could be wrong, but does taking hits stall how long Phantom stays out before disappearing or is it always 105f (if I understood you correctly)? As a swordy I tend to get at least two hits on it.

The assumption I referred to was that I wasn't playing competent Zeldas. To BE FAIR, high-ish/top level zeldas are outside my perusal for sure, but at least feel confident I've played people who aren't generic about their phantom use and and compete with them.
Thanks for the response!

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Calling PT simply a flavor of the month when Tweek plowed through and swept through brackets with no difficulty seems.....well I don't know how to put it.
PT placed high in a seriously large tourney and you still doubt them because "LOL disadvantage state sucks" or "It's just because they're popular".
I'm actually fairly annoyed by this because as Thinkaman pointed out PTs have been making waves long before this and even if more patches are released PT hasn't hit a skill wall yet. (Sorry for not using the icons. Using my smartphone for this is tough)
Tweek can sweep through brackets with any good character, same with Leo. You want to talk about long term performances?
https://smashboards.com/attachments/smash_stats_6-15-19-png.228137/
^PT has by far the most usage of any character, even more than Wolf, yet he preforms as well as characters with a fraction of that usage. Granted those results have gone up recently but that's why he's FotM.

Meanwhile :ultpalutena:'s 3rd on Orion rank, popping up multiple times in top 32s everywhere and people are saying she's worse than :ultpikachu:who has about a 3rd of her points.

I'm starting to think unless Leo or Tweek sweeps through everyone with them, some characters just won't get recognized.

D

Deleted member

Information can be misinterpreted really easily...which is why tier lists are usually meant to be taken with a grant of salt ("OHHHHH HEY YOU X is better than Y").
Also I'm not sure why but some people (even professionals) don't even recognize Mii Fighters when they review characters. I really respect the revamp to the Miis' movement and all, but just because they're not good in 4 doesn't mean they can make good impacts here. It's everyone's race here. Some might have a lead in the beginning, others that are behind may catch up.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
at this rate the "Top-tier" is going to be 20-30 characters, yeesh.

Speaking of which, is Pikachu going to end up the new Shulk, a character that everyone puts in top-tier because of theory but does not quite have the results to back it up, or really has that big of a top-level playerbase (besides ESAM) to show for it. Well one difference think Pikachu really has potential to be top-tier. As far as a lack of overall results at least Pikachu did have the excuse of being overshadowed by his pre-evolution until 3.1.0, but I dont really see any Pichu users, or really anyone else flocking now to Pikachu.

Ehhhh who an I kidding, Shulk will always be the new Shulk, "potential" is the Smash meme that will never die

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
But you didn't say she and Robin wouldn't benefit significantly, you said they wouldn't benefit at all and even implied Zelda might be hurt by it more then helped. That's what I thought was so silly.
I said the speed was irrelevant. Meaning regardless of any potential boost to specific situations, it wouldn't affect their game play to any extent. Potentially saving 10% on an escaped combo or landing punish isn't really going to sway the match in the vast majority cases. That's before getting into kit specific cases, like Robin's ground moves being ass, so it's better to stick to the Levin Sword aerials and approach by air, similar to Palutena.

Either way I don't see how this conversation has dragged on as long as it did.
As far as I can tell, lots of misunderstandings around what I felt was a simple to understand statement.

His ground speed is irrelevant and he absolutely does not have slow air speed.
In the world where you have tools to work around that? My character is also pegged as having low mobility, but has had no problem cracking top 32/64 at major events. Not everything needs to go fast in order to be successful. Just look at Ivysaur or Olimar.
Those are the relevant quotes. Even without going into the detail I did explaining my position, mentioning Robin's respectable air speed in relation to his ground speed being irrelevant, would hopefully hint that you could use that to move instead. In StoicPhantom's possibly warped mind, having your best spacing tools in your aerials, would naturally have you using the air to approach or retreat. Making your ground speed irrelevant. The whole increased mobility is never beneficial was put in my mouth later. I didn't say it was never beneficial in any case ever, I said it was irrelevant to the characters I was talking about specifically.

It's all good though, might have been a little too dramatic in that last post, but I've said my piece and am willing to let sleeping dogs lie.

To step back a little, this was originally in reference to "what are you going to do about phantom shot out at max range" (or any range that you weren't forced to shield/etc) - I think we would both agree isn't "that useful", but it can give a slightly extra edge than otherwise.
Oh, you mean Lacrimosa's post. Yeah, sorry I was just meaning to specifically address destroying Phantom in my reply, not to comment on what you were replying to. It definitely depends on play and counter play, how useful it is. Kind of been running on little sleep the last few days, so my reading comprehension might be a little shot.

As the subject accidentally got brought up, how does Zelda do against Rosalina at the moment?
I don't know if there's a general consensus, but Mystearica and some of the Zelda board members, myself included, believe this to be even. I'm far too tired right now to go in depth (but I can later), so I'll paste a quick thing I mentioned on the Zelda board:
I've played some pretty good Rosalina players that made her Smash 4 version seem inferior. It's much easier to do the desync stuff than in 4, and they can do some pretty crazy stuff. While Zelda can knock Luma away pretty easily, Rosa can punish Zelda for doing so pretty easy too. She can also play keep away against Zelda pretty easy, since she can negate Phantom, so it can be difficult to take advantage of Luma's absence. She can also use Luma to cover the ledge, while she punishes any other getup options Zelda can take. Of course, she is very tall, light, and floaty so I think it's even, but it isn't free.
Now before anyone gets trigger happy, I was being a bit hyperbolic at the beginning. As I stated in the quote, not only is Phantom negated, but it's not easy to do something about Luma, without being punished by Rosa. Rosalina doesn't have an easy time killing Zelda though, and she isn't exactly a small target. I feel like this comes down to whether Rosa can land the kill or not, because it can take Zelda a while to get through Luma.

Full disclosure, I haven't played any notable Rosalina players. I don't know what experience our top Zelda players have either. I want to say Dabuz thinks it's even, but that's probably outdated, I don't know his recent thoughts.

Rather than big moves like Charizard Flare Blitz, I'd tend to use be using tilts instead. I could be wrong, but does taking hits stall how long Phantom stays out before disappearing or is it always 105f (if I understood you correctly)? As a swordy I tend to get at least two hits on it.
I don't think so? I guess I can't say I'm 100% sure, but I've never noticed anything significant enough to matter. It's pretty rare I ever give my opponent time to do so, meaning I'm usually at a distance where I wouldn't be able to safely charge it again, going back to what I said about it not mattering much.

May have to consult our board moderator when she wakes up about what she means by death animation. I thought it meant when it's destroyed(collapsing animation). That's the 105F thing. The lingering should be tied to charge level, so I don't believe you can prolong it.

The assumption I referred to was that I wasn't playing competent Zeldas. To BE FAIR, high-ish/top level zeldas are outside my perusal for sure, but at least feel confident I've played people who aren't generic about their phantom use and and compete with them.
That was probably my bad. I kept it vague specifically to not imply you were playing bad Zeldas and probe for further clarification, but I might have been a little too vague. The gap between high level and low level Zeldas is immense, and thus they are rare, so I wouldn't blame anyone for not encountering one. Ven and Mystearica are on another level compared to the rest of us, to the point their play is drastically different from ours. I kind of gave a glimpse when I did that ZSS match analysis, all that is some very difficult stuff to do. There's definitely a reason you don't see many top Zeldas.

Apologies if I've offended.

Thanks for the response!
No problem, thanks for clarifying.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Fun update: PT's usage has been in a decline except for a small spike thanks to LTC. But the results are higher--so PT's stats seem to be normalizing to that of other top tiers.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Fun update: PT's usage has been in a decline except for a small spike thanks to LTC. But the results are higher--so PT's stats seem to be normalizing to that of other top tiers.
Is it because like mentioned a few posts ago players are optimizing their pokemon strategy and becoming less predictable in the situations in which they use their pokemon?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Roy for top 5-10? I thought we considered him high tier. I mean, I think hes an amazing character but does he stack up well to the perceived top tiers? He must have trouble with Snake and Lucina especially but guess I can see him giving characters like Joker, Wolf, and Wario some trouble himself.

I also think he's better than Chrom but that's my opinion.

Speaking of Lucina, how is Marth? Lucina completely took over his reign it seems but I think the guy at least has some potential no?
The theory buster in me thinks that Roy is effectively worse than Chrom. At least in terms of risk/etc
Although Chrom without a jump is a lot worse than Roy without a jump, I think it is otherwise easier to deal with and intercept Roy's than Chrom's by far - you won't die trying to fair Roy's up-b. If the Chrom player has their sweetspot timing right, most counters I've seen won't hit him (in fact you end up getting swiped by a late hitbox and suddenly have his up air between yourself and the ground).

So could there be tier difference? It's weird/tricky. The ways that Roy are more rewarding can outweigh Chrom in practice. And yet there's extreme overlap between the two, with Chrom needing to learn how to sweetspot his recovery consistently, while Roy has to utilize tippers. Although I prefer Roy, I don't feel there's much stopping me from playing Chrom (barring the up-b sweetspotting thing which I would need to lab). A lot of this comes down to, in my view, just how well-compensated Chrom's damage and knockback values are - most of Chrom's are either as strong or STRONGER than Roy's non-body sweetspots, which seem kinda whack to me BUT results in a generally fair argument that you're not really gaining or losing by choosing between them on average.

If you're wondering what I'm trying to argue here, it's whether or not the two deserve to be next to each other, potentially amalgamated into "just one" for statistical purposes. It might not be 100% fair to do so, but it would make a lot of things easier.
At the end of the day they seem like a solid contender for the top10ish range, especially if you're looking at how well they do at just sub-top level and below.

I don't think the same could easily apply to Marth and Lucina. Marth hilariously has ended up being more polarizing in my view than Roy to his echo (whoosh).
Marth is arguably "incomplete", and there might be a hint or two to indicate as such - old in-game tips indicated that Marth's upwards dancing blade finisher is a strong KO move and Marth's tipper forward air having a noticeable KB reduction. Fair was perhaps done to increase it's combo-potential [the hard-read is they might've contemplated changing the angle ala Melee], although the engine change so that KB angles aren't normalized like in S4 can allow sweet combo-prone hits based on where you hit it in the arc - if you hit 'within' the tipper of the last (or first) frame of marth's fair it can send them almost INTO you ( only pseudo set up I'm aware for this is doing a rar cross over fair, but you'd want to hit this angle on someone mid air, ideally ;_; ).

Marth can do just as well as Luci, but the incentives for it at the moment are kinda bland - forward tilt is the notable exception.
If they made Marth's non-smash attack sour spots/sweetspots contrast in power like forward tilt, it would be a much funner experience. Keeping the length of time at which a string into dancing blade or a smash attack is possible would highlight the "uniqueness" of his kit's capabilities.
... like, landing fair into dancing blade at 10% (final % of around 30-40%) almost killing lightweights is amazing, would love if fair allowed that for a while longer. Oh wait, that's broken? hmmm yeah, maybe. But considering how tipper dancing blade's sweetspot is roughly as wide as one of the hairs on Marth's head plus rage and DI and hitstun animations impact things so much, like, it'd be fine!!!!

So uhhh.. potential is there, just the rest of his non-fsmash/dancing blade tippers themselves aren't rewarding enough in practice, and to make them easier to land like they had done in s4 would probably nullify Lucina's existence once more.
There's also a lot of other [kinda subtle] things they could do - interpolation is active on all of their moves, while for some reason Chrom has moves which do not. Seeing as how precision and spacing is a lot more important for Marth than it is for Chrom, it would be nice if his up smash moving upwards into a midair falling body would have the sword's tip reach them first like you'd expect it to in a real, existing, universe.
There might be a move or two where that change would be a nerf for Marth (ftilt and fair maybe?) but if they did it for everything, it would likely be a net gain to us.

</rant>

Last edited:

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Meanwhile :ultpalutena:'s 3rd on Orion rank, popping up multiple times in top 32s everywhere and people are saying she's worse than :ultpikachu:who has about a 3rd of her points.

Pikachu might be the overall better character, but based on results, Palutena is just the more Meta character pick. Decent speed and hitboxes cater to more people than characters with more precise hitboxes and technical flair it would seem.

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
Correction. VoiD's Pichu is possibly gone. Pichu is still viable and still has devoted mains, though its popularity is almost definitely much less compared to Pikachu now.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Pichu is gone?
VoiD's Pichu evolved is gone. On his stream for the past 2-3 weeks he's been grinding Pikachu, Joker, and Wolf, with an emphasis on Pikachu because he hadn't practiced the character much before then. Now that he feels his Pika is ready for tournaments we might start to see Pikachu's results rise some more as one fault of that character was that it relied heavily on ESAM to bring results at majors, which can sometimes be very successful (GOML run) or very inconsistent (Frostbite or LTC 7). There's also Captain L still repping Pikachu but he hasn't made Top 16 in a major in this game I believe so he still has some room to improve.

As for Pichu, I honestly thought even before the nerfs that he was gonna fall off eventually as the meta became more defensive. You could see with VoiD's faltering results in the latter half of Season 1 that he was having trouble getting in with Pichu against characters like Peach or even Villager. (Reminder he did lose to BobbyWasabi, a Villy player at Pound iirc) And even though Pichu's reward for getting in is still amazing it's still quite polarizing because of how Pichu can just die at 60 to some moves. Now with the nerfs... definitely not Top 10 but probably still in the Top 20 imo.

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
The opinions about most fighters is rapidly changing. I actually kinda like it. Some or most pro players give valid reasons for why they think a certain fighter is put in a specific spot in their personal tier lists. Pikachu's case is pretty interesting. First considered top tier at the very beginning, then high tier, then top tier again by some but some still see it as high tier. And of course ESAM is always going to put Pika in top 5, there's no escaping it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom