• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Everyone getting these jab buffs but Samus Jab1 to Jab2 still isn't a combo.

I like how they finally fixed it for Smash 4 and then unfixed it for Ult.
It wasn't fixed for SSB4 Samus. However, SSB4 Samus' jab had jab canceling capabilities that was nerfed in Ultimate.
I am glad that they finally fixed Samus' up smash in 3.1.0., which is pretty nice buff overall. Just two more multi-hits to go for her :p

Speaking of 3.1.0., ZeRo and pretty much every :4diddy: main is already super happy about the :ultdiddy: buffs.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

:4ryu: mains are already going wild for the :ultryu::ultken: buffs they got, especially Ken's. Jab 1 -> Jab 2 -> Shoryu is now an easy KO confirm. Various other new KO confirms and combo confirms have been discovered, especially when messing around with their close heavy jab's mad combo potential, Ken's newly buffed Shoryu (it now KOs earlier than Ryu's lol), and other things. For example, Ken has this now...

Fatality, to the surprise of absolutely no one, is happy with :ultfalcon:'s buffs.

Unlike :ultolimar: mains right now, :ultpichu: mains seems to be "eh whatever" with their character nerfs.

:ultpeach::ultdaisy: players are also "eh whatever" with their character nerfs, although a few do lament the loss of their kill throw (back throw).
Also, ikep found this random kill combo with the newly buffed forward smash. lol

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What is the concensus moving forward on :ultwario:? There's a stark shortage of mention of him (edit: except for the post written as I typed this), for a character played by a guy who keeps getting #1 seeds. How good are these top-tier nerfs for this guy? Just as good as they are for everyone else?
The worst top tier match ups for Wario were Lucina, Olimar, and Pichu, and all three got hit by nerfs. I believe the nerfs made against those three have made Wario marginally better simply because they weakened Wario's worst match ups in the game.
Pichu and Olimar in particular were annoying to deal with since Wario's aerials usually whiffed against them. Using nair on Pichu was inconsistent and usually missed, after the patch now it connects more consistently which leads to open combos. The hurtbox change for Pichu and Olimar is a big boost to Wario since now his combos can connect more securely. With that out of the way, I believe Wario is a top 10 character due to his weight, horizontal and vertical combo game, great recovery with bike, tons of kill set ups and kill options, and a comeback factor with waft that can be combo'd into by uptilt or falling uair.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Got some good news guys: Samus players are really enjoying the devs fixing their up smash. XD

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Genuinely feel like Shotos are ones to watch out for now. I'm really digging the fireball changes to Ryu to particular, even if he's still not quite the fireball zoner he is in SF, it's a step closer to that, and gives him more reasons to get used over Ken even if Ken ends up better. More than anything it makes me optimistic knowing that they seem to have an idea of what they want Ryu to excel in.

Last edited:

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10XNTMy5xAPS2MvYeNGtD--Uq7SRyaqZVu5-uK8l53AM/edit?usp=sharing

Here you go lads, this is how Bayonetta's recovery landing lag frames got changed. Nothing too major, 2, 3, or 4 frames taken off of specific moves or combos. Most combos (excluding some DABK ones) are now quicker than their S4 counterparts (single ABK, Double Witch Twist, WT ABK WT ABK, etc).

She still has massive massive massive flaws, but at very least she won't be immediately punished for winning the neutral. It feels like a really amazing QoL improvement to the character rather than a straight buff: she still has the same massive issues, but these issues are slightly less absurd now. I have high hopes for future patches now.

I'd keep her at the same spot for now, maybe slightly higher. It all comes down to how pros use her new rapid jab kill option: is the frame 9 grounded late kill enough to carry her some spots? Stay tuned.

Also the Witch Time buff is hot

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

Well

Nintendo Fked up Bell ->Upsmash. Thankfully you can F-smash instead but lol. At least Up-smash without bell is fixed now and the new angle is even better for launching hydrant.

This has been a think since smash 4 but its way worse now. I just know a top Pac is going to lose a set because they autopiolt Up-smash instead of F-smash.

Edit:

The Ongoing Cat-and-Mouse game Nintendo and Ices players is Amusing

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Well

Nintendo Fked up Bell ->Upsmash. Thankfully you can F-smash instead but lol. At least Up-smash without bell is fixed now and the new angle is even better for launching hydrant.

This has been a think since smash 4 but its way worse now. I just know a top Pac is going to lose a set because they autopiolt Up-smash instead of F-smash.

Edit:

The Ongoing Cat-and-Mouse game Nintendo and Ices players is Amusing
At least opponents stunned over Pac-Man will still get hit by the strong hit of up smash (because that is all they are getting hit by lol).

The Nintendo and ICs cat-out-mouse game is amusing indeed. When they patch something, something new shows up in their place.
It is similar to patching Olimar or Isabelle glitches: they patch something, but something new takes it's place.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I'm curious on everyone's opinions on Fox right now. He's hardly been changed in the patches while all of the characters near the same area on the tier list have (Pichu, Peach, Lucina, Olimar, Wolf, etc.) and I actually think that if he wasn't a contender for Top 5 character before, he probably is now simply due to the fact that some of the characters that he struggles against were nerfed.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It can be really difficult to quantify how potent buffs could be, so the extent at which Ryu/Ken/Diddy/etc were buffed.

But I will say with utmost and absolute confidence, that barring some monstrosity like ROB's jab1 becoming like S4 ryu up tilt/release fox jab -
Zero Suit's Flip Jump buff is the most significant/largest single change buff in this patch.

20%+ further distance traveled (from just the ground), can even make it extend a lot shorter in distance too (aiming it at recoveries from on stage/any position seems easier to time/space).

It almost completely nullifies the previous patch's nerf on it (which I believe was primarily aimed at making the way it bounced off of shields more punishable). AND THEN SOME. A significant SOME.

One of the low key areas of nerfs that hurt ZSS between game transitions was she couldn't edge guard as easily: tether was nerfed significantly, her ability to go down vertically low was curtailed one way or another (I'm not sure why, but she used to be able to go down as deep as marth/luci can now, but she doesn't have the vertical reach to get back to the ledge in ult; some sort of nerf to up-b or fall speed buffs hurt her). BUT NOWWW, in lieu of losing both supreme horizontal and vertical edge guarding capabilities, we're getting most of the horizontal back and maybe then some, the distance is hugely improved, it's great.

ZSS be looking pretty top tier.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
It can be really difficult to quantify how potent buffs could be, so the extent at which Ryu/Ken/Diddy/etc were buffed.

But I will say with utmost and absolute confidence.
Zero Suit's Flip Jump buff is the most significant/largest change buff in this patch.

20%+ further distance traveled (from just the ground), can even make it extend a lot shorter in distance too (aiming it at recoveries from on stage/any position seems easier to time/space).

It almost completely nullifies the previous patch's nerf on it (which I believe was primarily aimed at making the way it bounced off of shields more punishable). AND THEN SOME. A significant SOME.

One of the low key areas of nerfs that hurt ZSS between game transitions was she couldn't edge guard as easily: tether was nerfed significantly, her ability to go down vertically low was curtailed one way or another (I'm not sure why, but she used to be able to go down as deep as marth/luci can now, but she doesn't have the vertical reach to get back to the ledge in ult; some sort of nerf to up-b or fall speed buffs hurt her). BUT NOWWW, in lieu of losing both supreme horizontal and vertical edge guarding capabilities, we're getting most of the horizontal back and maybe then some, the distance is hugely improved, it's great.

I would say Side-B buff could also be pretty big. characters would sometimes fall out of it randomly pre-patch but all hits of it may connect more consistely now making it a better kill option. But yeah the Flip Jump buff can potentially be pretty huge.

But yeah I was saying earlier that ZSS was already around top of high-tier. With many top-tiers getting nerfed while she got buffed , well ascending to top-tier may be a possibility

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I'm curious on everyone's opinions on Fox right now. He's hardly been changed in the patches while all of the characters near the same area on the tier list have (Pichu, Peach, Lucina, Olimar, Wolf, etc.) and I actually think that if he wasn't a contender for Top 5 character before, he probably is now simply due to the fact that some of the characters that he struggles against were nerfed.
I don't think Fox is a character that ever had any particular power creep working against him in his kit. Most of his flaws come from actual tangible weaknesses in his design (generally low survivability), and he's overall one of the characters that's privileged with already being able to counter almost any close quarters engagements, while also being blessed with some great landing options. Realistically I think the only thing that really changed for him this patch is he now most likely has an even MU with Pichu, but with the exception of that I suspect he's still in basically the same position as he has been for the better while.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I would say Side-B buff could also be pretty big. characters would sometimes fall out of it randomly pre-patch but all hits of it may connect more consistely now making it a better kill option. But yeah the Flip Jump buff can potentially be pretty huge.

But yeah I was saying earlier that ZSS was already around to of high-tier. With many top-tiers getting nerfed while she got buffed , well ascending to top-tier may be a possibility
Side-b was (imo) inconsequential in comparison.
BIG EDIT: I think the fixes were mainly for the held version of side-b, which was definitely underwhelming/underutilized in the previous patches. For some reason I thought you mentioned killing potential. My apologies.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox is strong right now, but he's held back by similar things as before. I think the characters that have more rounded advantages will stay stronger than him, notably Peach and Lucina.

Fox's disadvantage in a game where 100-0's are truly possible consistently keep him in check. He's likely not been touched because his kit is very powerful but lots of windows for counterplay and he is very susceptible to human error.

Might be top 5, but still outcompeted by the characters who are less polarized. He's probably better than Pichu now, however.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Aside: I'm full-stop just overlooking any posts of people complaining about "buffs" or "nerfs" that are just QoL changes.

Your thesis is correct but I'm gonna nitpick your tone.

There's nothing wrong with someone enjoying playing a character, for whatever reason. It's only silly to feel entitled to a certain character performing in a certain way, and even more silly to demand this in a specific context. (Like top-level 1v1 with items off on specific stages.)

I think being thankful for updates is the right attitude. While there is some expectation that large, competitive games do this, it would be presumptuous and projecting imaginary promises onto the product you bought to cross the line into feeling entitled to them. (There's that word again)

As for Sakurai's tone, it would be great if this 2008 meme could die. Sakurai's messaging has been very clear that "there is no wrong way to play the game" and he loves all his children equally. Yet aspects of our competitive community wield a myopic, self-focused view of our top 1% of the player base, and interpret this as hostility. When Sakurai muses in an interview "Gee, there are thousands of tournaments with the same rules; wouldn't it be nice if there was one with items on, for those players who like that?", there's a hundred angry reddit posts "SAKURAI THINKS ALL TOURNAMENTS SHOULD USE ITEMS, HATES COMPETITIVE PLAY."

If Sakurai hated competitive play, he'd just have taken out the item switch from day 1. Easy peasy, duh.

Instead, we got Omega versions of every single stage. And then Battlefield versions. And Smash 4/Ultimate patches that nerfed the exact characters the competitive scene cares about, instead of Kirby or Ganondorf or whoever is popular with the plebians.
I should have been a bit clearer with my first post. I think if you are getting into competitive and you aim to do well, while simultaneously feeling that you need to play a certain character no matter how bad they are due to loyalty, then you are setting yourself up for failure and disappointment. And something else I detest is when a player gets bashed from moving from one character to a better one.

Edit: I'm not too concerned about the Shotos. They are still impaired when it comes to them achieving their win condition (closing the gap). Sure they blow you up if they get in, but plenty of characters have tools or evasion to keep them out.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
So the Olimar Smash Attack chicanery (his pre-patch Smashes) I feel led me and probably many others to deny some of the character's other strengths. I've been playing around with Pikmin order and such now, and people seem to forget the buffs he received to his aerial attacks are all still present. People who know the Olimar MU tend to only pay attention to three Pikmin colors, Purple, Blue and Red.. Yellow and Whites don't really get minded much from what I can see.

This is fantastic, because I've literally found a system of space-baiting people out by falsely 'committing' to things like FAir's and such with low lag, then when they come in to get what they think is a well spaced punish, Yellow Pikmin to the face. Yellow Pikmin have a pretty substantial hitbox increase as well as more hitstun on their attacks, and there's a whole lot of stuff you can abuse this for if you know how to play mind games.

Since the Olimar meta is now less 'spam 2 win' and you actually have to think about stuff.. we could see some optimization toward this character's meta that nobody really expected to see.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice

Zero Suit's Flip Jump buff is the most significant/largest single change buff in this patch.

I'll point out that the Japanese patch notes state that they reverted it specifically because last time they changed it without notice, implying it wasn't intentional or something weird like that. They specifically state they reverted it back to normal. The English translations left this out for some reason. They left a lot out/mistranslated a lot of things actually.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'll point out that the Japanese patch notes state that they reverted it specifically because last time they changed it without notice, implying it wasn't intentional or something weird like that. They specifically state they reverted it back to normal. The English translations left this out for some reason. They left a lot out/mistranslated a lot of things actually.
Yeah this is the confusing thing going around.
The speculation that more was changed/buffed comes down to the kick part; as I was under the impression that the previous patch's nerf did not impact kicking momentum/maneuverability, only the "jump" parts.
I searched back through the zss discord and the "kicking" distance was apparently the same or so similar it was negligible to tell by the person who tested it - this is definitely not the case between the last patch and now (the distance gained or regained from neutral flip jumping is doubled for the kick).

Placebo vibe intensifies, but I must have already been soooo used to the new nerfed values that my surprise at ledge jump fjing to centre stage [again] completely memory-wiped it being possible at game release for me.

Even if it is ONLY a reversion, the nerf itself was felt significantly more (for recovering, etc) than they likely intended and aligned with the view ZSS "was top tier" and needed that nerf (anecdotes of early tournament game play in Japan coincides with that view). With other top tiers nerfed and this "every game state relevant" (+ is outright one of the best moves in the game already) 'buff', the change is being felt immensely.

"You don't know what you have, until it's gone, and then comes back".

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Hey shaya you double posted

As to whether or not it's true that people who play higher tier characters don't have to work as hard, I feel that, by definition, it is true, as that's what a tier list means - assuming the highest known level of play, which character gets the best results? As such, a simple corollary is that a lower tier character must play closer to the optimal level of play to achieve the same results (no one is perfectly optimal all the time). This is also how matchups are defined. If a matchup is 6-4, it means the player with the 6 has a significant advantage, so the player with the 4 has to work harder to win. Of course, there are some cases in some games where a certain high tier character may be exceptionally difficult to play well (some examples would be Fox and Greninja), but many high tiers are relatively easy to play due to their many advantages over the rest of the cast and tend to show similar dominance at all levels of play.
Sounds good in theory, but:
  • Top tiers, in any game, are the most popular characters. Therefore, everyone and their mom will know the MU. A 6-4 or 7-3 matchup not only indicates relatively even skill, but familiarity as well. A 7-3 MU against pac-man may exist, but no one will beat Tea because there's only one Pac-man his level (which is himself), and nobody knows how to beat that pac consistently. It can be risky to go to top tiers for this reason.
  • Following this concept loosely, imagine saying Brawl MK took less skill than any recent smash game top tier (since he was by far the best character in his game). Then, you play in a tourney with this "easy" character and you're facing otori, mikeneko, Salem, mew2king, etc. Even worse, there was a clear handful of top tier players amongst the field of competitive players that won majors (mew2king, ally, ZeRo, ADHD, Nairo, ESAM iirc, MVD, and some more). It'd take all the skill in the world to beat ZeRo or Otori in a MK ditto.

What does "less skill" mean? It can't be Equated to "work" as that fluctuates depending on the PLAYER.

Can't be tech skill, as that benchmark goes up as you climb higher in competitive player (a requirement driven by PLAYERS). tech skill isn't doing crazy tech, as crazy as that might sound, it's simply doing what you're thinking about doing accurately. As your ideas about neutral and other states of the game grow, so does your tech skill requirement.

Can't be MU knowledge, as the requirement could argued is higher for top tiers, since everybody knows them, the onus is on them to protect themselves from being blindsided.

There's no "more skill, less skill" requirement since all of that is dependent on PLAYERS and COMMUNITY.

I would talk about lucina, but I don't main her.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Top tiers, in any game, are the most popular characters.
Continuing to nitpick otherwise correct posts--this is generally true but not strictly. And at lower level of play, it's anyone's guess.
  • The most popular character at tournament level play by VOD representation is PT.
  • Go just outside tournament level and it's Ganon city, further down is Cloud town, and then it's Kirby for days.
  • Obtuse, hard-to-adopt characters like Rosalina, ICs, and Ryu have always been very underrepresented relative to their universally agreed tier + top tourney performance.
...but again, your main point is very true. Without getting into a ton of balance theory:

Bad - Raw win rates
Good - Straight usage numbers
Better - Trends in adoption

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

The flip kick buff was pretty big. But damn, the ROB Jab buff got me sweating bullets.

For a character with such strong stage control and kill power to have not one but TWO excellent CQC buttons is suuuuper sus to me. Or maybe I’m overreacting.

:150:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
So the Olimar Smash Attack chicanery (his pre-patch Smashes) I feel led me and probably many others to deny some of the character's other strengths. I've been playing around with Pikmin order and such now, and people seem to forget the buffs he received to his aerial attacks are all still present. People who know the Olimar MU tend to only pay attention to three Pikmin colors, Purple, Blue and Red.. Yellow and Whites don't really get minded much from what I can see.

This is fantastic, because I've literally found a system of space-baiting people out by falsely 'committing' to things like FAir's and such with low lag, then when they come in to get what they think is a well spaced punish, Yellow Pikmin to the face. Yellow Pikmin have a pretty substantial hitbox increase as well as more hitstun on their attacks, and there's a whole lot of stuff you can abuse this for if you know how to play mind games.

Since the Olimar meta is now less 'spam 2 win' and you actually have to think about stuff.. we could see some optimization toward this character's meta that nobody really expected to see.
Are you geuninely implying olimar mains didnt have to think about anything before and it was a lot of spamming? Or are you just being extremely hyperbolic for the sake of persuasion in justifying the patches? Or are you just talking about quickplay olimars? Pikmin management was always intregal and yellow pikmin have been talked about and emphasized by the pros many times because of their bigger hitboxes and great use in aerials. The olimar meta is infinitely beyond just spamming smash attacks, and if you dont think so you really havent been following a lot of the olimar pros closely. They have taught me a lot about olimar, and it ranges far beyond spamming smash attacks. I understand if you didnt really mean it like this, but there are many many people on places like twitter who genuinely believe that olimar mains dont have to think and just c stick smash, and i really just dont want to let that sort of idea pass.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Deluge just seems to be overreacting to an overreaction, chosing to view the (modest but non-trivial) Olimar nerfs through rose-colored glasses instead of feces-colored ones.

While I can't endorse one view as inherently more based in reality, the former does strike me as healthier for both the player and the community. Let's just avoid feeding the anti-popular-character troll mob.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Are you geuninely implying olimar mains didnt have to think about anything before and it was a lot of spamming? Or are you just being extremely hyperbolic for the sake of persuasion in justifying the patches? Or are you just talking about quickplay olimars? Pikmin management was always intregal and yellow pikmin have been talked about and emphasized by the pros many times because of their bigger hitboxes and great use in aerials. The olimar meta is infinitely beyond just spamming smash attacks, and if you dont think so you really havent been following a lot of the olimar pros closely. They have taught me a lot about olimar, and it ranges far beyond spamming smash attacks. I understand if you didnt really mean it like this, but there are many many people on places like twitter who genuinely believe that olimar mains dont have to think and just c stick smash, and i really just dont want to let that sort of idea pass.
Hyperbole and joking are a consistent theme of my posts. It once was a part of my signature, but when my premium expired there the cutoff went up and it was taken out.

The segway was still serious, though. It has pushed me to explore more of the meta he has going for him, the Smashes being AS SAFE as they were before led to people ignoring some of his other options. Even top players, I would imagine. How bad this was, I can't say, there's only a handful of top Olimar players I consistently watch and all of them can vary pretty intensely in the exact, nuanced way they use the character.

I did not literally mean you can win a tournament by jamming the C-Stick in a given direction, nor did I mean to imply nobody truly understands how Pikmin work. Just a goofy post to say that the nerfs have led me to explore other parts of my character.

I'm used to being assblasted into the ether for my character choice, particularly at the locals where I live, so I've developed a particular outlook / sense of humor to go alongside me talking about him. The C-Stick stuff was basically just hyperbolic, self-depreciating humor.

I think the nerf to USmash was 100% fine, though I will say I think FSmash is a tad bit laggier than it should be.. this still doesn't change the fact landing it will net you insane rewards in a lot of situations, just means you can't thrust them toward shields with safety for days or not get punished for going for riskier reads / whiffed tech chases and such. The main one is the Up-B nerf, I don't think it's as bad as some have said but I will agree it was pointless and I do wish they'd take it back.

If I could nix two nerfs and keep two nerfs, I'd get rid of the Up-B and the FSmash nerf and I'd keep the USmash and the hurtbox increase nerfs. The latter two were extremely fair nerfs, and FSmash could've still been nerfed, I just think it was given a hair bit too much endlag.. but again it doesn't gut the move. The sourspot increase has actually led to me getting grabs out of lower % FSmash reads far more often now at a higher range, before it was more an instance of if they're above like 10% they'll be launched too far, but now I don't have that problem until about 20-35% depending on MU / weight.

I just think it's a bit silly people are talking about dropping him outright, or acting as if he's no longer viable. At worst he's at the top of high tier now, at best the bottom of top tier. That's not a bad place to be at all, justified or not, so the reactions I've seen do rub me a little oddly all said.

Did the nerfs hurt Olimar? Yes. Did they wreck his overall viability? No. That's my main point with this. Olimar will be fine, but I do wish they'd make his FTilt and UTilt actual moves with real uses still. Either way, USmash is still as ridiculous as it was before, the main thing that changed is it's not safe on block. It still nets the same rewards and is just as fast to whip out for a read in terms of startup. Side-B and the wonders of what that does are still a thing. His aerial game is still amazing. He can still kill you for missing a tech with jab lock > FSmash, he still has his insane grab setups, Down-B is still a thing to get out of disadvantage.. a lot of his good tools are still there. Olimar was not just FSmash / USmash the character, that's the takeway I'd like to give here.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Hyperbole and joking are a consistent theme of my posts. It once was a part of my signature, but when my premium expired there the cutoff went up and it was taken out.

The segway was still serious, though. It has pushed me to explore more of the meta he has going for him, the Smashes being AS SAFE as they were before led to people ignoring some of his other options. Even top players, I would imagine. How bad this was, I can't say, there's only a handful of top Olimar players I consistently watch and all of them can vary pretty intensely in the exact, nuanced way they use the character.

I did not literally mean you can win a tournament by jamming the C-Stick in a given direction, nor did I mean to imply nobody truly understands how Pikmin work. Just a goofy post to say that the nerfs have led me to explore other parts of my character.

I'm used to being assblasted into the ether for my character choice, particularly at the locals where I live, so I've developed a particular outlook / sense of humor to go alongside me talking about him. The C-Stick stuff was basically just hyperbolic, self-depreciating humor.

I think the nerf to USmash was 100% fine, though I will say I think FSmash is a tad bit laggier than it should be.. this still doesn't change the fact landing it will net you insane rewards in a lot of situations, just means you can't thrust them toward shields with safety for days or not get punished for going for riskier reads / whiffed tech chases and such. The main one is the Up-B nerf, I don't think it's as bad as some have said but I will agree it was pointless and I do wish they'd take it back.

If I could nix two nerfs and keep two nerfs, I'd get rid of the Up-B and the FSmash nerf and I'd keep the USmash and the hurtbox increase nerfs. The latter two were extremely fair nerfs, and FSmash could've still been nerfed, I just think it was given a hair bit too much endlag.. but again it doesn't gut the move. The sourspot increase has actually led to me getting grabs out of lower % FSmash reads far more often now at a higher range, before it was more an instance of if they're above like 10% they'll be launched too far, but now I don't have that problem until about 20-35% depending on MU / weight.

I just think it's a bit silly people are talking about dropping him outright, or acting as if he's no longer viable. At worst he's at the top of high tier now, at best the bottom of top tier. That's not a bad place to be at all, justified or not, so the reactions I've seen do rub me a little oddly all said.
Yeah i just wasnt sure exactly what you meant and it turned into a rant on some of the general attitudes towards olimar. Im glad this has allowed you to better explore olimar and this nerf will probably teach a lot of people to play olimar more in depth. I think your views on the patch are more than fair. And i agree with much of it. Imo, the recovery nerf is significant, but it isnt as huge of a deal as i thought when i first saw the nerfs. About pro reactions to the patch, I think myran is just salty because of the olimar haters. Dabuz was also apparently only playing olimar because he was a top tier, and now he is just arguably a high tier. I think he just wants to play rosa and he likes her more. I still think olimar is great, and i hopefully this patch leads to less olimar hate lol.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

Meanwhile ROB gets big ninja buffs

Edit:

Its a kill confirm to

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
First competitive sets that use 3.1 and you can already see how much Diddy's recovery buff matters.
Dakpo would've died much earlier in 3.0 if it weren't for the buffs, especially in game 1. Made it back despite the off-stage pressure Fow was giving him.
He also used it multiple times outside of recovery.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
1.) :ultpeach:

Note: If Peach out-neutrals you; you still lose the MU regardless of these nerfs.

I don't know why they magically decided that Peach needed kill power nerfs when that wasn't her perceived issue. Her buttons are perceived to be oppressive as well as her actual turnips / RNG. Now you just make her more inconsistent, mad, and CAMPY.

The only time you would be seeing Peach Fair killing at was when the opponent was either at ledge / jumping near ledge at reasonably high percents, or off-stage. Peach fair was powerful until you realize that it was one of her main neutral options, and therefor was staled a lot. Peach did not have *free* time getting kills, in fact it could be quite the opposite when all her kill options (bair, fair) will be stale by the time they're at kill percent. A sour-spot fair would not kill a opponent even at 150% near mid-stage or 2/3 the length of FD on any character that had weight. An actual nerf would have been if they reduced the range of it then the kill-power since the move is horribly staled (nearly all the time). You notice this a lot when you fight any character with a weight of 100 and up. I never understood why people complained about the power since it only kills you at ledge / off-stage, has long start-up, is most likely staled and with the sweet-spot. Not my fault if your letting me edge-guard with fair.

2.) She can quickly eviscerate your stock if she make the correct reads while you make all the wrong options but that would with any good character (:ultalph::ultsnake::ultlucina::ultzss::ultwario::ultfox::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultjoker:).

3.) Turnip was nerfed by 3 frames which isn't really a factor. Peach should almost never pull turnip at mid-range and definitely not against any character that had any resemblance of speed. Peach should only pull turnips when other characters are clearly camping / not approaching at long range. Mid-range is dependent on MU. Peach bomber is still probably safe vs most characters; just can't follow up with fair/nair. I will miss this as I found this to be actual pressure.

4.) Back-Throw IMO was the biggest nerf to her that will be felt. Honestly, I'm not sure why they felt the need to nerf by that much considering it only killed a late percent when you're at the LEDGE and with some rage; don't even get me started on the percent for heavyweights. (tip: don't let ANY character with a killing back-throw grab you near the ledge at high percent with them facing the ledge and they likely will fish for it as well; this happens way too much)

5.) Many people are forgetting that they gave peach one compensation buff which was the buff in kill power to her largest smash attack; golf club. IMO this is a very nice change since you would be surprised how often we can land the move thanks to the range it gives. Overall kill power was reduced for Peach with a slight compensation in smash attacks.

Overall Peach is either slightly worse or the same tier wise. (:ultolimar::ultpichu:) got nerfs and they certainly weren't free MU's by any means (Dabuz sucks vs Peach js, look at Myran play) so that help eases the pain.:ultwolf: blast getting 3 frames is SOOO huge for us actually lmao. The entire reason why that MU was soo annoying was due to that damn blaster and the fact that we have 3 more frames to act accordingly is huge. (Please add another 3 frames Sakurai yes....)

Now let look at some characters that got buffs and compare them to Peach.
:ultken::ultryu:: Now unless their recovery becomes better and neutral improves A whole lot, then this MU is still the same minus dying from Up-B earlier for Ken. Turnips stuffs out their side-b and movement and we out-neutral them too hard along with uair negating focus attack. Edge-guarding is very valid here for Peach; key here is to hit with a turnip off-stage and precede to smack with fair or even nair. Ryu getting better hadokens might be a problem (PEACH HATES PROJECTILES)

:ultlucario:: Honestly complete toss-up. Sometimes Lucario bodies Peach and sometimes Peach bodies Lucario. The MU can be very annoying if peach dies first. Aura Sphere is annoying but not as bad to deal with UNLIKE Mewtwo or Samus's because Mewtwo is much faster in movement while Samus has fair, zair and grab to contest our movement options. Will never gimp Lucario but turnips still = free damage /potential kills depending on RNG. Buffs might put this into slightly Lucario favor just because Peach is slow.

:ultfalcon:: Extremely susceptible to our combos (will almost never get out of them without us messing up). Edge-guards with turnip for the most apart unless he's really out there. Falcon main problem was actually getting in on Peach in the first place. A bait and punish Peach / Campy Peach was very tough for Falcon since he wanted to do falling nair 1 or grab. His bair getting buffed will help out a ton since that was his best aerial vs us. Kill power nerfs will be noticed here since Falcon is quite heavy. Back-throw nerf really helps him.

Special Mentions:
:ultlucina:: Kek F-Smash weaker and Fair weaker (even though she mainly kills with BAIR Nintendo but okay). Lucina still will remain one of Peach worst MU's due to the main issue was her bair being very easy for her to intersect Peach with off-stage resulting in early kills along with being one of her main kill option vs us. Why nerf fair tho...... bair is the problematic one, not fair ;-;. This MU is worse since Peach has a very hard time contesting her sword and now has to work even more to earn the stock.

P.S Note: It is very false to believe that Peach had strong kill moves. Killing lightweights is entirely different (Olimar, Pikachu, ZSS, Pichu, Fox,) ARE all some of the lightest characters in the game. Of course they're going to die much earlier than characters like Falcon, SNAKE, Mario, Cloud, Samus, Mega Man, RoB). All the super lightweights / lightweights are META in this game so therefore the perception is skewed that Peach had strong kill power. 9/10 times I am killing with Peach at ledge or off-stage and the only time I'm not killing in those areas is when the opponent is at 160+ percent with a sweetspot fair maybe bair or up-smash, but up-smash is a commitment. Moves are not that strong when in practice they're being staled too much.

Honestly this patch was very good, but I do question some things.

- Pichu getting increased self-damage along with being easierer to hit might be a bit overkill.

- Peach nerfs looks all fine except for back-throw randomly getting nerfed HARD. I could see a 5-10% nerf but 15-20$ is a lot considering it's one of the weaker killing back-throws that really needs rage.

- Olimar should be mostly fine, just not free to whack your shield with a smash attack 0 repercussions. Still going to body most people who never actually gave a damn to improve in the MU.

- Wolf getting blaster nerf and d-smash slightly mixed nerf/buff is fitting. IMO his blaster is the main culprit with D-smash needing less base KB.

- Nerfking killpower just makes the character campier, Olimar will just camp more since he's less inclined to go in with smashes, Peach is less inclined to approach at higher percent since her kill options are worse. Pichu can't camp now so he becomes even more inconsistent. The game is already defensive at Top Level bar some known players (Samsora / Light) and that isn't a bad thing. Just be careful on what you wish for.

- Snake seems fine tbh unless you really want to gut nikita (MU dependent, it destroys some characters while others can maneuver around it fairly easy.) Grenades, C4, and Up-Tilt are not going away. They may be overturned but his disadvantage is awful that it relies on him going high (wait for him to land and punish accordingly or better yet pick a better character for the MU). If your're still getting grenades exploded on you then that's a YOU problem. Snake mains HEAVILY practice with their character. Maybe their effot is actually paying off while the people complaining are?????????????????

- Judging characters based off of online is bad, happy to see them look at offline for changes.

- Don't rely on patches to magically make a bad MU go away. Just because a character might obliterate some characters doesn't mean the said character is OP prime example is Paech. You can literally use :ultike::ultsamus::ultpalutena::ultzss::ultlucina::ultmewtwo::ultyoshi::ultrichter::ultroy::ultchrom::ultjoker::ultkirby::ultmario::ultivysaur::ultlink::ultgreninja::ultgnw::ultduckhunt::ultshulk: to contest Peach with and shutdown one of her strengths. She struggles vs disjoints so nearly all sword characters automatically forces her to change her game-plan. Projectiles camping is legit strat vs her (she's too slow). This is why you only see Samsora placing Top 8 with her and at top level play she seems tame while also being able to explode (notice how you see next to 0 d-tilt or long combos at top level with Peach). I don't know why people were calling her Top 3 when her MU chart is sketchy asfuq.

Peach is only good if the player with her has dedicated time with her. If you found yourself getting bopped; consider that you may be 1.) bad (MU wise or just plain bad) or 2.) the person playing her is actually better than you, or 3.) your playing a character that is crap or is crap in the MU. Most likely it's a combination of the 3.

- Top players will always pick the best characters (mostly) and there's a reason why Nairo / ZeRo / Anti / Dabuz / Mkleo / Tweek / Void / Mr. R are quick to drop a character if they believe them to be average. No amount of patches is going to prevent a group of characters from clearly being better than the rest of the cast. Best to hope for is that your character is buffed heavily with patches if they're not top tier but don't count on it.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789

Edit:

Its a kill confirm to
I'll call it Robble.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The flip kick buff was pretty big. But damn, the ROB Jab buff got me sweating bullets.

For a character with such strong stage control and kill power to have not one but TWO excellent CQC buttons is suuuuper sus to me. Or maybe I’m overreacting.

:150:
Never mind, they gave ROB the Release S4 Fox jab.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

It’s certainly a big buff (regardless of whether it’s a reversion or whatever) but pales in comparison to the monstrosity that is now ROB’s jab 1 (EDIT: you made your above post while I was writing this but it appears you agree with me).

That buff consistently takes 10-20% interactions to 40-60% interactions, or even kill confirms. I’d argue it’s halved the number of times ROB has to win neutral. The ROB discord was trying to keep it quiet for a reason.

I feel like the combos from this move are unintentional though? I wouldn’t be surprised to see a slight nerf to this move’s FAF in a later patch, or even an emergency patch, to prevent them from working. And by not surprised, I mean I’d be shocked if they don’t change it.

As far as the amalgamated buffs go my immediate impression, having had a chance to mess around with him, is that Diddy’s buffs are the most consequential. He was already pretty option rich with a strong neutral decent vortex game, he just sucked horribly at killing and recovering. Both of these issues have been addressed with Usmash being a fairly potent kill option (retaining most of its confirms from S4) and the up B buff. The buffed Dair and dash attack allow for some extended combos and a healthy portion of spiking cheese by the ledge. He seems pretty effective overall.

Side note, having had a chance to play Wolf, the Dsmash nerf(?) is entirely inconsequential to the point that I wouldn’t have even noticed if it wasn’t in the patch notes. You can feel the Blaster nerf for sure though. It doesn’t wreck him or anything, but considering how many times Wolf uses Blaster in a match, those 3 frames really add up. The shine buffs are being overhyped a bit, it’s a minor QoL buff that doesn’t give him anything he didn’t have before particularly in the way of combos (none of the combos were 1 frame away from working) although the quicker invincibility gives the move a useful niche in disadvantage and as makeshift close range counter. The jab buff is really nice though, Wolf’s fastest ground option actually being functional is helpful for his CQC and shield pressure.

Last edited:

Flon

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I also doubt they're going to let ROB keep his jab confirms. The balance team definitely seem OK with repeated minor adjustments to specific attacks as we've seen with Rod, Flip Kick and Wolf's down smash. They're no stranger to reverting things.

I'm actually quite surprised how the team have already reverted some patch changes instead of leaving them as is, was that ever the case in Smash 4?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I played some diddy kong today and he is felling very nice too me
I feel like he's pretty well off right now
He seems very much like a High Tiger character right now, and I couldn’t be happier about it! That new D Air does wonders!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

Twitter stuff, but some cool concepts.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Edit:

Its a kill confirm to
I recant my statement, Inkling did get nerfed.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Little Mac's ability to combo jab into jab finally, finally makes him seem like the Little Mac from the Punch-Out!! games. He was never about a single massive hit or simple one-two combos.

But it's interesting that the superior jab is locked behind a small skill test: you have to precisely tap attack three times instead of just holding down the button, because the non-hold version actually had less end lag. If you just mash, you instead get the rapid jab.

Assuming this is not just a programming error, I'm curious as to what people think of this? My first reaction upon seeing this is that it seems like a way to make Mac stronger at higher-level play but keeping him manageable at lower levels where he can be a menace. Most regular players are not going to master the precise tapping required to optimize the move.

Would people like to see MORE moves like this?

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I wonder for a pretty long time who the worst character is. The consensus looks like it's Mac but I don't really know if that still holds up. I also doubt that before the buffs but Mac has gotten some pretty nice changes. Not to his recovery, unless the larger hitbox on sideB helps that much. But his ground game is much, much better and he has a lot of killpower.
On the other hand, there is someone like Isabelle who has one, if not the worst downB and the fishing rod is incredibly easy to avoid, even at lower level play. Her pocket is also rarely of any use: Against a character without any projectile, this move is completely useless. Same could be said about Villager's pocket but his rocket and tree are much better specials.
She can recover but nothing besides of fSmash really kills and that's kinda sad. An occasional gimp with slingshot is possible but also this isn't a good kill move.
Anyway, I think Mac has finally left the spot of being the worst character but he isn't that great, either.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I wonder for a pretty long time who the worst character is. The consensus looks like it's Mac but I don't really know if that still holds up. I also doubt that before the buffs but Mac has gotten some pretty nice changes. Not to his recovery, unless the larger hitbox on sideB helps that much. But his ground game is much, much better and he has a lot of killpower.
On the other hand, there is someone like Isabelle who has one, if not the worst downB and the fishing rod is incredibly easy to avoid, even at lower level play. Her pocket is also rarely of any use: Against a character without any projectile, this move is completely useless. Same could be said about Villager's pocket but his rocket and tree are much better specials.
She can recover but nothing besides of fSmash really kills and that's kinda sad. An occasional gimp with slingshot is possible but also this isn't a good kill move.
Anyway, I think Mac has finally left the spot of being the worst character but he isn't that great, either.
Ultimate most likely won't have a commonly agreed worst character in the game. Right now if I'd have to guess the worst characters in the game, :ultbowserjr::ultisabelle::ulticeclimbers: are most likely the contenders for the very bottom, with characters like :ultpiranha::ultridley::ultlucas::ulttoonlink::ultkirby::ultjigglypuff: encompassing a slightly higher subset of characters outperformed by power creep and marketing trends. Ultimate has an extremely wide pool of mid-tier characters which is kind of incredible, so it gets hard to say at what point characters aren't up to snuff for a lack of trying.

Top Bottom