• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

zxeon

Smash Lord
Wish I could upload vids =(
Just pulled off a sick kirby downthrow to many up tilts to about 3-4 up airs following him off to an up B spike, I died too but it was great =)

Sad that it was on a lv 9 comp though =/
but still with only 8% hitstun that's pretty good.

1.3x downwards gravity feels great to get rid of the floatiness and keeps recoveries.
Momentum carried from a run now would be nice as everyone has said.
Can you imagine Sonic? By the way what are the hexes for 9% and 8% hitstun?

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I'm using the sh/ff code at .8 and 1.05 respectively, with downwards gravity at 1.15 and it feels great. SH could be a bit bigger I think but the only negative effect I've seen is snake can't get his full nair out with them this height (but could he ever get a full nair with sh? I have no idea). Haven't tested Gannon yet, but everyone else can perform all their aerials and it seems to help.

Still, I intended to start testing off with .9 sh and I'm not sure why I didn't do that in the first place, so in a bit I'll test that.

I could upload videos but right now my roommate isn't home so it would just be me vs. cpu. If you're interested I could still do it, but it probably shows off how relatively bad I am... :urg:

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Wish I could upload vids =(
Just pulled off a sick kirby downthrow to many up tilts to about 3-4 up airs following him off to an up B spike, I died too but it was great =)

Sad that it was on a lv 9 comp though =/
but still with only 8% hitstun that's pretty good.

1.3x downwards gravity feels great to get rid of the floatiness and keeps recoveries.
Momentum carried from a run now would be nice as everyone has said.
You can DI the uptilts so that you can't get off alot. But good punishment of bad DI can really take you far.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I'm using the sh/ff code at .8 and 1.05 respectively, with downwards gravity at 1.15 and it feels great. SH could be a bit bigger I think but the only negative effect I've seen is snake can't get his full nair out with them this height (but could he ever get a full nair with sh? I have no idea). Haven't tested Gannon yet, but everyone else can perform all their aerials and it seems to help.

Still, I intended to start testing off with .9 sh and I'm not sure why I didn't do that in the first place, so in a bit I'll test that.

I could upload videos but right now my roommate isn't home so it would just be me vs. cpu. If you're interested I could still do it, but it probably shows off how relatively bad I am... :urg:
There seems to be a problem in Brawl with heavies. For some reason they have to wait forever to do an aerial attack when jumping from the ground. If we could allow all characters to attack almost as soon as they leave the ground it would fix a lot of issues.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Can you imagine Sonic? By the way what are the hexes for 9% and 8% hitstun?
Here's 9%: 3EFAE147

Brawl's default float value for hitstun is .4, so when people say "9%" they mean "+.09". Thus, you plug in ".49" into the hexadecimal converter to get the 9% value. 8% would be whatever ".48" comes out to be, and since I happen to have the converter right now, 8% is 3EF5C28F

zxeon

Smash Lord
Here's 9%: 3EFAE147

Brawl's default float value for hitstun is .4, so when people say "9%" they mean "+.09". Thus, you plug in ".49" into the hexadecimal converter to get the 9% value. 8% would be whatever ".48" comes out to be, and since I happen to have the converter right now, 8% is 3EF5C28F
Thanks Plasma.

Alopex

Smash Ace
There seems to be a problem in Brawl with heavies. For some reason they have to wait forever to do an aerial attack when jumping from the ground. If we could allow all characters to attack almost as soon as they leave the ground it would fix a lot of issues.
Remove the buffer code and see if that is still the case.

As I reminded people of earlier, KayJay found that it's impossible to use an instant aerial at 1/4 speed with Ganondorf. He was testing the Dair.

Take out the code and see what happens.

I have a feeling the code is what is buggy and causes heavies to have that problem.
It also might be why the 0 buffer code makes the game feel strange to me - it's not perfect like we first thought.

zxeon

Smash Lord

As I reminded people of earlier, KayJay found that it's impossible to use an instant aerial at 1/4 speed with Ganondorf. He was testing the Dair.

I have a feeling the code is what is buggy and causes heavies to have that problem.
It also might be why the 0 buffer code makes the game feel strange to me - it's not perfect like we first thought.
Oh it's the buffer modifier code's fault? Interesting.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to play with the new shieldstun (although 3 strong 2.8 weak felt mighty good to me), but what values do I plug in for x and y just as a starting point? I'm guessing the basic format of the shieldstun code is "shieldstun = xa + y", where X is the value for XXXXXX, y is YYYYYY, and a = brawl's default? So we either need to know what the default is, or at least, SOME more information. :dizzy:

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't had any aerial issues as heavies, even with buffering at 0. :confused:

You thought it was a game episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKMThHJjl4

You thought it was a game episode 2 (even better)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFtX7TFS_o
Awesome, it makes me feel better about getting my *** kicked a few times tonight. :laugh:

Oh, also, what characters are affected by the Triple Jump Glitch? I'm wondering out of curiosity, because my roommate was complaining about weird lag last night and I wasn't sure if it was due to him not being used to no buffering or triple jump.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Why is this being ignored?

KayJay, have you tried testing every buffer value from 0 to 10 frames until you can instant aerial at 1/4?
That'll help determine if the issue of no instant aerials is with the buffer length or with the actual code.

I don't know why no one is recognizing this issue. If the plan is to keep 0 buffer, then we need to figure out why 0 buffer is preventing instant aerials in Brawl+ when it did not prevent them in Melee under equal circumstances (1/4 speed training mode).
So even at 3 frames of buffer you couldn't instant aerial at 1/4?

No. This happens at brawls default. It is a pure out glitch in the game.

@Kupo
I'm testing various things with the weak shield stun. Like I said earlier 3 was too much stun, as it allowed me to pretty much lock players in shields with jabs. 2.5 wasn't enough as it didn't feel too much different from normal Brawl. Whenever my friend gets back from choir I'll try out 2.75. I think that, or around that figure, will be perfect. I think 3 for the strong shield code is absolutely perfect.

Also, I don't find anything wrong with the shield stun codes. I don't experience the extra sliding people were complaining about, it seems to be working normally to me. I know weak moves don't make you move, and that is the most important thing. Jab to grab is awesome again, and now when I sweet spot a knee I don't get shield grabbed! Yay!

The lagless code definitely needs more invincibility. Like almost twice as much. As it stands if I jump off the ledge I'm almost immediately vulnerable and moves like Pika's jab and G&W's downtilt just **** you. If I had invincibility I could actually get back on the stage. In melee Link had almost as much invulnerability to fully land a fair coming from the ledge before the invulnerability wore off.

The dash dance code needs to allow for shielding during the initial dash animation. Other than that it is freakin gold. I'm LOVING it, although I have to get used to Falcon's distances (sadly it's not quite as good as it was in Melee >_<).
Got it. Ill be testing those values out. And why should you be able to shield from a DD? We don't want to give you so many options. I know that 64 had this, what about melee?
I still think more focus needs to be spent on horizontal air speed, not vertical.
QFT
Hey kupo how do I use it? Do I just plug the hexes into those spots and what do each of the spots represent?
Yes. The multipier (xxxxxx) is the 11 liner code and the additive (YYYYY) is the 1 liner code
Oh, also, what characters are affected by the Triple Jump Glitch? I'm wondering out of curiosity, because my roommate was complaining about weird lag last night and I wasn't sure if it was due to him not being used to no buffering or triple jump.
Most of the old cast

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I know that 64 had this, what about melee?
Yes it did. And it was pretty useful too (like when people just overshoot their attacks to counter your dash dance). It makes dash dancing a little safer (not that much since shielding isn't that good in melee) so it was even more appealing.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Using some numbers pulled out of my ***, I'm going to try .9 for short hop, and 1.2 for Fastfall.

GPDP

Smash Ace
Hmm, should I try 3 for the multiplier and something like 2.75 for the additive on the shield stun code, then? That's what Mookie said might work.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yes it did. And it was pretty useful too (like when people just overshoot their attacks to counter your dash dance). It makes dash dancing a little safer (not that much since shielding isn't that good in melee) so it was even more appealing.
Do we really want this seeing how powerful and easy it is to PS? Im thinking it can be too good since in both games, you never really PS from a DD.

Also, make sure everyone gets the newly updated shield stun code beta 5. There was a bug with beta 4 of PSing having shield stun

zxeon

Smash Lord
Do we really want this seeing how powerful and easy it is to PS? Im thinking it can be too good since in both games, you never really PS from a DD.

Also, make sure everyone gets the newly updated shield stun code beta 5. There was a bug with beta 4 of PSing having shield stun
WTF now I have to copy a new one?

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
Actually that glitch version caused the stun to be squared and then adds a junk value, X and Y had no effect when PSing.

Also for Y use subtract 2 from what you used for the one liner.

BrutalBrutal

Smash Cadet
Oh wow, I go on holidays and one week later, and you've already got almost every single code done, only really jump momentum to fix now. Brawl+ is nearing completion. I can't wait to play when I get back.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
So even at 3 frames of buffer you couldn't instant aerial at 1/4?
At 3 frames of Buffer instant aerials were working well.
@Kupo, no this is not a glitch from the game, in vanilla Brawl you can perform instant aerials. When I have the time, i will record ganon 1/4 speed down air with brawl buffer and with 0 buffer to show you what i mean, it's not working right.

Looks like the recommended value pairs are thus:
1.1 / 10%
1.2 / 9%
1.3 / 8%
That's exactly what i wrote yesterday, I guess nobody noticed. -.-

Basically when you set the downward gravity 0.1 higher, you have to set Hitstun 1% lower.
I posted the way how i adjusted and tested it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Actually that glitch version caused the stun to be squared and then adds a junk value, X and Y had no effect when PSing.

Also for Y use subtract 2 from what you used for the one liner.
Oh gotcha! I hear it works fine now! Thanks so much spunit!! Do you know if keeping your name tags in replays is even possible? Another thing I want to ask if it is possible is changing how the C stick works. Right now, you can fast fall with the c stick. We want that function gone. Thanks!

Lol.

The new Shield stun code is messing with the fall speed and short hop codes.
lol really? how so?
@Kupo, no this is not a glitch from the game, in vanilla Brawl you can perform instant aerials. When I have the time, i will record ganon 1/4 speed down air with brawl buffer and with 0 buffer to show you what i mean, it's not working right.

Basically when you set the downward gravity 0.1 higher, you have to set Hitstun 1% lower.
I think you are mistaken. My ganon friend literally showed me before the buffer code came out that he could not do instant aerials....at least not instant uairs

zxeon

Smash Lord

At 8% your Jabs don't stun opponents long enough.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Oh gotcha! I hear it works fine now! Thanks so much spunit!! Do you know if keeping your name tags in replays is even possible? Another thing I want to ask if it is possible is changing how the C stick works. Right now, you can fast fall with the c stick. We want that function gone. Thanks!

lol really? how so?

I think you are mistaken. My ganon friend literally showed me before the buffer code came out that he could not do instant aerials....at least not instant uairs
Yes, instant up airs don't work in Brawl, doesn't matter which buffer, but nairs bairs and dairs work with brawl buffer, also on 3 buffer, but it doesn't work at 0 buffer.

@zxeon at 1.3 downward gravity? i have to test this.
Edit: jabs stun just fine for me, which characters did you use on which dw gravity?

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
9% at 1.15 gravity doesn't seem to be quite enough either, but if there's a -.01:.1 relationship between hitstun and gravity as you suggest, I should be at 9.5%.

Edit: Also, even though I meant to say it a post back, thanks for the info kupo. It was mainly Mario who was so blatantly suffering from it.

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the game even saves the name tags in the replay (if it did wouldn't they already be displayed?). Theoretically yes, but I anticipate it will be harder then hell. It's probably also the only thing that you guys have complained about that bugs my too. I'm ganna examine it but I promise nothing

Alopex

Smash Ace
No. This happens at brawls default. It is a pure out glitch in the game.
Uh, what?

If you're referring to the C-stick not being properly recognized at 1/4 speed and thus causing missed aerials, then I'll agree.

But Brawl never had that problem if the control stick was used instead. Holding down, jumping, and then immediately pressing A always worked perfectly at any Training Mode speed.

So I don't know what you're talking about, kupo.

If KayJay only tried the C-stick to test the issue, then I can see where the problem would be with the actual Brawl game.

But otherwise, that kind of glitch is not present in vanilla Brawl in any way.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Yes, instant up airs don't work in Brawl, doesn't matter which buffer, but nairs bairs and dairs work with brawl buffer, also on 3 buffer, but it doesn't work at 0 buffer.

@zxeon at 1.3 downward gravity? i have to test this.
Edit: jabs stun just fine for me, which characters did you use on which dw gravity?
I was using 10% hitstun at x1.3 fall speed. At 8% hitstun Lvl.9 Cpu can roll away the instant I hit them.

The new Shield modier only messes with the short hop modifier. The fall speed code works fine with it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Lol.

The new Shield stun code is messing with the fall speed and short hop codes.
Uh, what?

If you're referring to the C-stick not being properly recognized at 1/4 speed and thus causing missed aerials, then I'll agree.

But Brawl never had that problem if the control stick was used instead. Holding down, jumping, and then immediately pressing A always worked perfectly at any Training Mode speed.

If KayJay only tried the C-stick to test the issue, then I can see where the problem would be with the actual Brawl game.

In VB, try doing an instant Uair with ganon from a SH. Its impossible and ganon won't do any action. Its a glitch.

The new Shield modier only messes with the short hop modifier. The fall speed code works fine with it.
oh no...Almas won't be pleased at all. He had trouble with that code..

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Uh, what?

I didn't test it with C-stick, i did test it with the normal attack button, after it didn't work i wanted to be sure, and tried it as mentioned with an arcade stick with beastly auto-fire function.

In VB, try doing an instant Uair with ganon from a SH. Its impossible and ganon won't do any action. Its a glitch.

oh no...Almas won't be pleased at all. He had trouble with that code..
.....like i said, up airs can't be done instant in Brawl, but dair, nair and bairs can be done, just not with 0 buffer.
For sample, when you did sonic short hop forward air you could do an up air before landing, doesn't work anymore at 0 buffer.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Gotcha. I think its possible, but its too hard that its impossible
Beleive me, it is not possible, i thought that too, but when an auto-fire at 1/4 speed can't do it, it has to be impossible. (the auto-fire on this arcade controller is REALLY quick)

Top Bottom