• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

GPDP

Smash Ace
Yea, the air game seems to be the issues now. Either a global airspeed increase (like the dash speed code, but in the air) or that air speed momentum idea would pretty much round everything off nicely.

The ground game is pretty much done.
IMO, the real issue with the pacing of the air game is its inconsistency. The air game on the way down is pretty much perfect thanks to increased downward gravity and fast fall speed, but on the way up and to the sides, it's still lacking. Jumps are too slow to execute (spunit just made the code for that, but it's not independent of the buggy throw speed code, so it's still not practical until we throw the other one out), and too slow to rise. We got the launch power code for short hops, but the consensus is that we want shorter short hops instead of faster short hops, so that won't be increased (though upward gravity should still speed it up some). We still need codes for full jump launch power, which also covers double jumps, as well as codes for balloon character jumps and recovery moves that are affected by increases in gravity. And of course, the sideways aerial game suffers from the lack of running momentum being applied.

If we can get these codes and apply them in a proportional fashion, I am sure the air game will feel even better than it already does, because the pacing will be consistent up and down, and side to side.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Jumps are too slow to execute (spunit just made the code for that, but it's not independent of the buggy throw speed code, so it's still not practical until we throw the other one out), and too slow to rise.
You can still play with jump speed if you set throw speed to 1. You can set anything in there to 1 that you don't want to modify.

kupo15

Smash Hero
You can still play with jump speed if you set throw speed to 1. You can set anything in there to 1 that you don't want to modify.
Oh.
what he said
Well, still, it should be weeded out lol.
hopefully soon

sketch, can you add a section to the codes labeled "raw codes"? Just a slot for a text file is all I need

Did I mention that spunits TJF code fixes the YES lag?

GPDP

Smash Ace
Well, now that all the issues are pretty much ironed out (though we still need a shorter, working lagless ledges code), I'm gonna update my codeset and try everything out.

The Shiek freezing glitch is not there still, is it?

kupo15

Smash Hero
everything is fine now in my set

I added some more codes to the OP and a new section called "asm conversions" which list the codes that needs some spunit magic

GPDP

Smash Ace
Alright, everything worked. Good job, guys.

Any idea what the next code we'll get will be, and when we're getting it?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
So, I'm sure plenty of people have suggested this before, but here goes:

Once we have an established physics/stun codeset, couldn't we make a patch that people could apply to the Brawl .iso? That way, we could have a full 255 lines of code to work with for character balancing.

Also, if anyone would be interested in constructing a custom stage selection for me, please PM me. I've tried doing it before, but I keep messing up. D:

Starscream

Smash Ace
everything is fine now in my set

I added some more codes to the OP and a new section called "asm conversions" which list the codes that needs some spunit magic
Just so you know for your codeset, the proper float value for ALR should be 40000000, not 48000000. And there isn't any dash canceling in your set. Forgot about it? Or just waiting for a new fixed code with dash canceling from Spunit?

Also I can't seem to get the 1 line buffer code to give me 1 buffer. I copied the exact one from your codeset and tried inputting the value, it always seems to be 0 buffer. I'm fine with myself because I prefer 0 but I just thought it should be pointed out.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
sketch, can you add a section to the codes labeled "raw codes"? Just a slot for a text file is all I need
Done.

So, I'm sure plenty of people have suggested this before, but here goes:

Once we have an established physics/stun codeset, couldn't we make a patch that people could apply to the Brawl .iso? That way, we could have a full 255 lines of code to work with for character balancing.
Line wise, that's a good idea, but you get into a situation where people have to burn a new brawl disc and then hack their wii to play burned games just to practice B+. Of course, IMO, if you've gone as far as HBC and Codes via Ocarina, it's not much of a stretch for anything else. But creating a patched ISO is just another barrier to impede B+ acceptance. Besides, I think ISO patching is what got Syntax Error in trouble.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Just so you know for your codeset, the proper float value for ALR should be 40000000, not 48000000. And there isn't any dash canceling in your set. Forgot about it? Or just waiting for a new fixed code with dash canceling from Spunit?

Also I can't seem to get the 1 line buffer code to give me 1 buffer. I copied the exact one from your codeset and tried inputting the value, it always seems to be 0 buffer. I'm fine with myself because I prefer 0 but I just thought it should be pointed out.
Ah I need to use the long version of the buffer since the 1 line I hear still doesn't quite work? DCing is in there btw Also, I don't see a line for ALC. Maybe this version didn't have it because things looked fine to me when I was playing it. :confused:
Your new code set is working great kupo
Thanks but apparently I need to update it

Thanks sketch

shanus

Smash Hero
Ah I need to use the long version of the buffer since the 1 line I hear still doesn't quite work? DCing is in there btw Also, I don't see a line for ALC. Maybe this version didn't have it because things looked fine to me when I was playing it. :confused:

Thanks but apparently I need to update it

Thanks sketch
I just copied a lot of your values from your text file and ALR (ALC) seems to be working fine.

Haven't had a DC yet either.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Done.

Line wise, that's a good idea, but you get into a situation where people have to burn a new brawl disc and then hack their wii to play burned games just to practice B+. Of course, IMO, if you've gone as far as HBC and Codes via Ocarina, it's not much of a stretch for anything else. But creating a patched ISO is just another barrier to impede B+ acceptance. Besides, I think ISO patching is what got Syntax Error in trouble.
I think that if someone is willing to set up HBC and whatnot, then burning a patched iso isn't a stretch at all. I'm talking about the competitive community, not the community that we're trying to appeal to. As a TO, it would be your responsibility to have all this readily available to the community. If we're going so far as to rebalance characters, then B+ acceptance isn't really the first thing on our minds anymore. Same goes for increased dash speed, jump launch speed, etc.

Also, you should check Stack Smash. Some interesting revelations about the whole ]EE[ situation came up yesterday.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I just copied a lot of your values from your text file and ALR (ALC) seems to be working fine.

Haven't had a DC yet either.
Your DCing hasn't been working? Ok, Ill just add the standalone code.

Thinking about it, I think in addition to ARL and lagless being stand alone codes, that DCing should also be a standalone code.

About the friction MOD, I heard its hard to work it by changing the grounds friction, I forgot that its possible to globally change things so I guess globally changing the character friction might be the best bet.

shanus

Smash Hero
I think that if someone is willing to set up HBC and whatnot, then burning a patched iso isn't a stretch at all. I'm talking about the competitive community, not the community that we're trying to appeal to. As a TO, it would be your responsibility to have all this readily available to the community. If we're going so far as to rebalance characters, then B+ acceptance isn't really the first thing on our minds anymore. Same goes for increased dash speed, jump launch speed, etc.

Also, you should check Stack Smash. Some interesting revelations about the whole ]EE[ situation came up yesterday.
I'm pretty sure burning ISOs also required a hard modded wii right? Also, burning ISOs gets into legal issues whereas running Brawl+ from just the standard disc + HBC does not.

shanus

Smash Hero
Your DCing hasn't been working? Ok, Ill just add the standalone code.

Thinking about it, I think in addition to ARL and lagless being stand alone codes, that DCing should also be a standalone code.

About the friction MOD, I heard its hard to work it by changing the grounds friction, I forgot that its possible to globally change things so I guess globally changing the character friction might be the best bet.
errr no, for some reason, I wrote DC instead of freeze hahaha.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure burning ISOs also required a hard modded wii right? Also, burning ISOs gets into legal issues whereas running Brawl+ from just the standard disc + HBC does not.
What? No. You can play burned ISOs using a soft-modded Wii just fine.

kupo15

Smash Hero
oh so everything works fine then?

And muba, we can add all the speed we want but it will be unnatural at some point. Melee had faster things like JCed stuff, more IASA moves I think...

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so someone help me out here.. I've got homebrew all set up, my gct file in code folder, but everytime I try to boot out of ocarina or usbgecko, it says there aren't any sd codes found? why is that? could it be that the code folder is on the root of my sd card? or that I still have the twilight hack stuff still in it?

GPDP

Smash Ace
What version of Brawl are you using? NTSC, I assume? If so, then the gct should be called rsbe.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
So What's the plan? how are you going to give the other characters in Brawl+ a chance? I know it won't be the result of a WD or a Air dodge. What's the plan? I heard rumors that you plan to hack individual character moves? If that is so then the game will never be complete because people will constantly try to give their characters an edge which will cause others to want their mains hacked for 1 reason or another. So what are you going to do...besides hacking individual characters...if that true.

shanus

Smash Hero
So What's the plan? how are you going to give the other characters in Brawl+ a chance? I know it won't be the result of a WD or a Air dodge. What's the plan? I heard rumors that you plan to hack individual character moves? If that is so then the game will never be complete because people will constantly try to give their characters an edge which will cause others to want their mains hacked for 1 reason or another. So what are you going to do...besides hacking individual characters...if that true.
we are making individual character adjustments to SH height, gravity, full hops, & more as well as nerfing a few moves of only a few characters in the game. We have a Brawl+ backroom and a dedicated side forum with a strong focus on balancing so your concern, while valid, has already been addressed.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Shut up spam, dont troll this thread. Last warning.

kupo15

Smash Hero
This is not the thread to discuss individual characters

MuBa

Smash Lord
oh so everything works fine then?

And muba, we can add all the speed we want but it will be unnatural at some point. Melee had faster things like JCed stuff, more IASA moves I think...
I don't understand what you mean. If we have the address for every different kind of animation that can be sped up and also look smooth then B+ has the ability to become faster than Melee.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
we are making individual character adjustments to SH height, gravity, full hops, & more as well as nerfing a few moves of only a few characters in the game. We have a Brawl+ backroom and a dedicated side forum with a strong focus on balancing so your concern, while valid, has already been addressed.
I see well that's interesting. Just 1 suggestion while your added take just a bit of the juice out of Lucas's upSmash. It kills Bulked up characters at low percent. Thanks.

oh and btw zxeon I'm not trolling. As someone who put his Wii at serious risk to be able to use these **** hacks I wanna know whats up. I'm not butthurt over Them Killing the HAD project before it really got started if that's what you think but I have lost some of my in excitement. Even if Brawl+ doesn't have that same life or death superhuman feel that I had when I played Melee it is still Light years better than Brawl.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
IMO, anything that requires a value should be combined and used with a 'constants' code. Everything else should be standalone. This makes it easy to select and deselect what you want for binary stuff, and simply insert default values or modded values for stuff that is variable. So, yes, DC should be standalone.

I'll google it. If there's a way to burn ISOs so they auto-boot, like what happened with the Dreamcast, it would be cake to burn a bunch of B+ discs and host a tourney. Of course, firmware updates might be a problem for that. Even without that, you can pretty much soft mod any Wii on the spot in 10 minutes if you had to. The ISO route is definitely a possibility, but I'll leave it up to the hackers to determine if it's worth it.

Unless a large margin of the community agrees on a character change, it's not going to fly. So far there's only a few characters on the buff/nerf list, including MK, Link, and Bowser. Even MK's nerfability has been doubted, so it's pretty safe to say we're not going to jump to any conclusions on character balance. I have confidence in our judgment.

I don't understand what you mean. If we have the address for every different kind of animation that can be sped up and also look smooth then B+ has the ability to become faster than Melee.
The throw speed code has proven that just because we can speed something up doesn't mean it will work. Hell, we should have known that even after the global character speed code way back in the day. Clearly this game can only tolerate a certain speed increase before trouble begins.

kupo15

Smash Hero
well I mean, once we set the values to the ALC and the lagless, they won't change. But it doesn't matter to me I guess

zxeon

Smash Lord
I see well that's interesting. Just 1 suggestion while your added take just a bit of the juice out of Lucas's upSmash. It kills Bulked up characters at low percent. Thanks.

oh and btw zxeon I'm not trolling. As someone who put his Wii at serious risk to be able to use these **** hacks I wanna know whats up. I'm not butthurt over Them Killing the HAD project before it really got started if that's what you think but I have lost some of my in excitement. Even if Brawl+ doesn't have that same life or death superhuman feel that I had when I played Melee it is still Light years better than Brawl.
You went about asking your quesion the wrong way. Try to be less angry next time.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
You went about asking your quesion the wrong way. Try to be less angry next time.
I wasn't angry I was simply inquiring. I want to no what else is being done is all? I mean all the talk about what is an exploit and what isn't. I was just pointing out that the argument is hypocritical. Most combos and advanced moves in all 3 games are not intended. I'm not patrolling different threads trying to start things up if that's what you think?

D

Deleted member

can a pal user post his version of the shieldstun code? mine got messed up trying to update it to the latest version.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
If you get hit with Lucas' usmash, you deserve to die. Seriously.

Nope. It's also perfectly legal to have a back-up copy of Brawl, as long as you own the corresponding title (ntsc/ntsc, pal/pal, etc). It's been that way with backing up games for a loooooooooooooooong time.

Technically, tournaments are illegal without express consent of the developer. We're not going to be playing the super technical angle, are we?

The biggest problem would be getting everyone to agree on a standard codeset. I don't see the patch as being viable for another couple months or so, at best.

Where are people discussing the tweaking of characters? I've got most of CO willing to test this, and with plenty of vBrawl knowledge to back any data we find. Lemme in on the balancing discussion, prs?

Revven

FrankerZ
Nope. It's also perfectly legal to have a back-up copy of Brawl, as long as you own the corresponding title (ntsc/ntsc, pal/pal, etc). It's been that way with backing up games for a loooooooooooooooong time.

Technically, tournaments are illegal without express consent of the developer. We're not going to be playing the super technical angle, are we?

The biggest problem would be getting everyone to agree on a standard codeset. I don't see the patch as being viable for another couple months or so, at best.

Where are people discussing the tweaking of characters? I've got most of CO willing to test this, and with plenty of vBrawl knowledge to back any data we find. Lemme in on the balancing discussion, prs?
Here

Also, I don't know HOW possible it is to apply the codes to a new CD. I don't even think it's possible but, just FYI, Gecko OS 2.0 will allow us to patch a lot of lines to unused memory in Brawl (255 patches), it's just as temporary as a .gct (in fact, it is its own file, a .gpf) so, we'll have plenty of space in that regard.

There's also the problem for those of us who lack computers that can burn DVDs. D:

Starscream

Smash Ace
Well, I can't get it to work with the 1 liner. If others have had luck then that would be a surprise. Which code is DCing in? I don't see a standalone or Dash Cancel in the title of any codes. Is it in a merger but unlabeled? I'm not directly using your codeset, just copying some since it had the older and not glitchy spunit mergers. As for the ALR...

Code:
Spunit Constants for Merger(Dash Spd 1.17/Fast Fall 1/15/IJump 1.15/Throw Spd 1.25 + ALR, Ledge grab) 5 Lines
* 065A9300 00000020
* 3F800000 3F947AE1
* 3F933333 [COLOR="Yellow"]4F000000[/COLOR]
* 40800000 3FC00000
* 3F800000 BF266666
Dash Spd 1.16
Fast Fall 1.15
Jump 1.5
Throw Spd 1
ALR
Ledge grab
That's the constants code from your codeset, isn't the part I highlighted for ARL? Shouldn't it be 40000000 (float value for 2) instead of 4F000000 (what value is this?)?

And while we're on that note, for the lagless ledges, what value does 40800000 repressent?

Top Bottom