• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

kupo15

Smash Hero
I wasn't angry I was simply inquiring. I want to no what else is being done is all? I mean all the talk about what is an exploit and what isn't. I was just pointing out that the argument is hypocritical. Most combos and advanced moves in all 3 games are not intended. I'm not patrolling different threads trying to start things up if that's what you think?
No you were quite angry and pushy and trolly sounding. Between the two threads you saying "So whats the plan" several times over and the way you worded everything sounded like you were all up in our faces like your some tough guy who knows everything. Oh and why don't you explain to me how one can exploit hitstun to combo things that were not intended because zxeon has not answered this.
Here

Also, I don't know HOW possible it is to apply the codes to a new CD. I don't even think it's possible but, just FYI, Gecko OS 2.0 will allow us to patch a lot of lines to unused memory in Brawl (255 patches), it's just as temporary as a .gct (in fact, it is its own file, a .gpf) so, we'll have plenty of space in that regard.

There's also the problem for those of us who lack computers that can burn DVDs. D:
Once again I am confused by what exactly the patch will allow us to do. Will it give us 255 patches that can be overwritten plus the temp 256 lines we have now? So that means the codes folder can possible have up to 256 code files with 256 lines in each one thus giving us 256^2 lines of code that is completely modifiable?
Well, I can't get it to work with the 1 liner. If others have had luck then that would be a surprise. Which code is DCing in? I don't see a standalone or Dash Cancel in the title of any codes. Is it in a merger but unlabeled? I'm not directly using your codeset, just copying some since it had the older and not glitchy spunit mergers. As for the ALR...

Code:
Spunit Constants for Merger(Dash Spd 1.17/Fast Fall 1/15/IJump 1.15/Throw Spd 1.25 + ALR, Ledge grab) 5 Lines
* 065A9300 00000020
* [COLOR=yellow][COLOR=red]3F800000 [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]3F947AE1[/COLOR]
* [COLOR=lime]3F933333[/COLOR] [COLOR=yellow]4F000000[/COLOR]
* [COLOR=plum]40800000[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]3FC00000[/COLOR]
* [COLOR=darkred]3F800000[/COLOR] BF266666
Dash Spd 1.16
Fast Fall 1.15
Jump 1.5
Throw Spd 1
ALR
Ledge grab
That's the constants code from your codeset, isn't the part I highlighted for ARL? Shouldn't it be 40000000 (float value for 2) instead of 4F000000 (what value is this?)?

And while we're on that note, for the lagless ledges, what value does 40800000 repressent?
Red is SH
orange is DD
green is FF
Yellow could be alr but my game is showing float 2???
Pink is lagless
Blue is jump speed
Dark red is throw speed

It is possible that this version is old enough where the ALR doesnt work

Starscream

Smash Ace
Red is SH
orange is DD
green is FF
Yellow could be alr but my game is showing float 2???
Pink is lagless
Blue is jump speed
Dark red is throw speed

It is possible that this version is old enough where the ALR doesnt work
So it follows the same format as the most recent constant hack as I figured. If it's working for you then I guess it's okay for now. I remember when I was using the newest glitchy merger code and copied the constant code from Mookie's set which also had 4F000000 I was getting almost no landing lag at all.

So what about dash cancel, do you have it merged into one of your codes but not labeled or should I just use the long original code for now?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
This probably isn't the best place to post this but it is active, people are smart, and it does have a bit of relevance so please answer. Am I doing this My Music mod correctly? I don't want to mess it up because my understanding is that if not careful, this mod can cause permanent damage. Can someone who has hacked their my music please just check this?

Yoshi's Island Melee Music Mod
SMB3 --> Title/Credits
4A000000 9017EBCC
140006A8 0000271A
E0000000 80008000

(mostly the value of the song to be changed)

Edit: Never mind I got it

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
-Sonic's triple jump glitch

-No release grab glitch on ness/lucas/wario
Always give back second jump while in a grab. Shorten Ness/lucas grab release animation
Sonic triple jump? Where?
The grab release is not a glitch. Its a result of ness and Lucas having 40 frames of wait after a ground release.

kupo15

Smash Hero
So it follows the same format as the most recent constant hack as I figured. If it's working for you then I guess it's okay for now. I remember when I was using the newest glitchy merger code and copied the constant code from Mookie's set which also had 4F000000 I was getting almost no landing lag at all.

So what about dash cancel, do you have it merged into one of your codes but not labeled or should I just use the long original code for now?
Well, spunits merger has two parts and I believe the part you don't touch has the DC. I'm pretty sure I had it when I was playing last night
Sonic triple jump? Where?
The grab release is not a glitch. Its a result of ness and Lucas having 40 frames of wait after a ground release.
The "air tripping"

It may not be a glitch but the labeling is not important. It just needs to be fixed. I call it a big oversight seeing how wario gets screwed from air releases and if Falcon picks him up during his second jump, he never touches the ground so he never gets it back. Pretty lame

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Once again I am confused by what exactly the patch will allow us to do. Will it give us 255 patches that can be overwritten plus the temp 256 lines we have now? So that means the codes folder can possible have up to 256 code files with 256 lines in each one thus giving us 256^2 lines of code that is completely modifiable?
Essentially, patching the game would give us limitless lines to work with.

Example:

We agree on a set of codes for competitive B+. Someone makes a patch that makes said codes permanently part of the Brawl iso. So say we have 94 lines of code that are being used. We burn those 94 lines into an iso, and are no longer forced to use them every time we boot up Brawl. More or less, we hardcode (I think this is the term?) them, and it allows us to delete them from the .gct file to make more room for modding the game.

The problem with relying on Gecko to give us more lines is that ultimately, we're still limited, and not everyone has a gecko usb. Things be pricey. D:

So what we'd essentially be doing is creating an update that people could apply to vB, and then we would continue to release smaller updates via .gct. Make sense?

Starscream

Smash Ace
Well, spunits merger has two parts and I believe the part you don't touch has the DC. I'm pretty sure I had it when I was playing last night
I tried your codeset, it does have dash cancel. I tried copying all the Spunit merger codes and constants (using my own preferred values for short hop/dashspeed/fastfall) and I get this weird skid animation that lasts longer than a normal dash stopping skid instead of the crouch. I'm gonna mess around with it a bit more, try to find out whats wrong.

IKOU

Smash Apprentice
I tried your codeset, it does have dash cancel. I tried copying all the Spunit merger codes and constants (using my own preferred values for short hop/dashspeed/fastfall) and I get this weird skid animation that lasts longer than a normal dash stopping skid instead of the crouch. I'm gonna mess around with it a bit more, try to find out whats wrong.
is it where your character freezes in the first frame of your skid animation but keeps on moving eventualy allowing you to get out of it? if so, i had the same problem earlier so i started fidling around with my codes. i forget exactly what fixed it but im pretty sure 1 of the merger codes or constants were messing it up. turning off 1 of those should work

Starscream

Smash Ace
is it where your character freezes in the first frame of your skid animation but keeps on moving eventualy allowing you to get out of it? if so, i had the same problem earlier so i started fidling around with my codes. i forget exactly what fixed it but im pretty sure 1 of the merger codes or constants were messing it up. turning off 1 of those should work
Yeah I think that's that problem. I'll fiddle with the codes later, hopefully get it fixed.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have this also. I forgot to remove the throw and jump speed i think..

kupo15

Smash Hero
Can someone say if I am right or wrong? Is it 1 patch of 256 lines that we have 255 tries to get right or is it 255 separate patches all working together with 256 lines each? So will the 255th patch be the 256th file in the code folder or just the last chance at perfecting the patch file so then there would only be two files in the codes folder?

The difference will be:
256*2
vs
256*256

Almas

Smash Lord
Each patch can be infinitely long in length, I believe. And the limit is 256 patches. One .gpf contains information about all the patches, though.

Bearing in mind that the patch file is applied at game initialization though, means that anything written during the game will overwrite our values. For example, the Up/Down gravity code is overwritten at the start of every match. The WiiRD code functions because it overwrites it, too, but the patch file wouldn't be able to do that.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
OMG, after a week and a half without power i finally get it back :)

Now, to find out what the heck is going on with all these new codes.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Each patch can be infinitely long in length, I believe. And the limit is 256 patches. One .gpf contains information about all the patches, though.

Bearing in mind that the patch file is applied at game initialization though, means that anything written during the game will overwrite our values. For example, the Up/Down gravity code is overwritten at the start of every match. The WiiRD code functions because it overwrites it, too, but the patch file wouldn't be able to do that.
Not to sound ignorant, but what can we use this for if all our values will just get overwritten?

GPDP

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I used Kupo's setting for shield stun, and Fox kept laser-locking my shield. Maybe I wrote a wrong number, though. Can someone else confirm?

Also, what happened to that one guy who was writing a program for Brawl+ codes to simplify gct file creation? It was looking great.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I honestly have the same question.
I don't even come close to understanding the whole coding patch thing anyways.
Actually I may understand what the point is now. I think that the codes like ALR, no ASL, and the P Trainer codes aren't over writing anything they are just added. Those could be put in the patch area

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
What about character specific things? I'm struggling to see the difference between what would be overwritten and what wouldn't.

It seems like new features wouldn't be overwritten (Some sort of ALC, perhaps HAD, or something like making Link's clawshot work like in Melee.), but I'm not really sure. Oh well, I guess we'll know eventually.

Almas

Smash Lord
There are areas of Brawl's memory which are either completely unused, or only used in very rare circumstances (for example, during the SSE).

Since the game never writes to these locations in normal play, you can patch lines to them. There are literally hundreds of lines available in this way.

You can also patch over some of the permanent programming that the game has stored in RAM. Of course, you can't write in your 5 line ASM code, because you've only got one line's room to write it in before you start overwriting other stuff. But you can store a branch to the stuff you've got written in the other free space.

GPDP

Smash Ace
That sounds intriguing, Almas. Hopefully we can exploit all that free space in the future.

btw, how are those gravity and launch power codes coming along? I'm dying to speed up jumps.

abcool

Smash Ace
Can someone tell me what was causing the freeze glitch with the new codes, ya know the one with sheik turning into zelda?

BEES

Smash Lord
So I tested the "Aerial Lag Reduction/Lagless Ledges/Dash cancel/Dash dancing/Jump speed/Throw speed[Phantom Wings, spunit262]" code today.

I found no evidence of dash dancing or dash canceling from it. Throw speed was unusable because of the distance it increased throws. Didn't try any value other than 1 for jump speed. I'm guessing it increases height, and that gets offset by up gravity? Everything else seemed to work, but I eventually had problems with Shiek crashing the game.

Worked great as a substitute for ALC, lagless ledges, dash speed, short hop height, and fast falling though. The ledges look and act more realistic now, very nice.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Essentially, patching the game would give us limitless lines to work with.

Example:

We agree on a set of codes for competitive B+. Someone makes a patch that makes said codes permanently part of the Brawl iso. So say we have 94 lines of code that are being used. We burn those 94 lines into an iso, and are no longer forced to use them every time we boot up Brawl. More or less, we hardcode (I think this is the term?) them, and it allows us to delete them from the .gct file to make more room for modding the game.

The problem with relying on Gecko to give us more lines is that ultimately, we're still limited, and not everyone has a gecko usb. Things be pricey. D:

So what we'd essentially be doing is creating an update that people could apply to vB, and then we would continue to release smaller updates via .gct. Make sense?
Maybe I'm not getting all of your idea but that sounds like it would chase away quite a few people if they had to crack open their wiis to be able to accept burned discs. Granted I"m not up to date on the mod scene but last I recall a person would need to buy a $40-$50 chip and be willing to soilder the board. Considering we had a huge arguement about MAD chassing away potential players, having to go through all that seems over kill.

And assuming everyone accepted this, it seems we'd be daming B+ to be nothing more than a sideshow as most of the people the that make up turnnies wouldn't have a modded wii to practice and therefore wouldn't bother even coming. Which then leads to less pros playing due to tiny money pots.

Almas

Smash Lord
The codes are complete and are being rigorously tested to find a suitable set of starting values before their first release.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
Say I want to alternate between playing Brawl+ and normal Brawl but with the codec for unlimited replays on.

Is there a way I can alternate playing without having to add/remove files from my SD card? As if, can I put both the GCT files on the card and choose which one I want to be on when Brawl boots via the Homebrew channel?

GPDP

Smash Ace
The codes are complete and are being rigorously tested to find a suitable set of starting values before their first release.
I assume you mean the gravity/launch power mods?

Can I help test them? :chuckle:

Say I want to alternate between playing Brawl+ and normal Brawl but with the codec for unlimited replays on.

Is there a way I can alternate playing without having to add/remove files from my SD card? As if, can I put both the GCT files on the card and choose which one I want to be on when Brawl boots via the Homebrew channel?
I don't think you can do that. AFAIK, the simplest way to go about this is to get another SD card, one for Brawl+, and another for the infinite replay code only.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Exactly which codes now? I'm also willing to help you test them and make sure they are working as intended. Thanks for all the hard work you have done for this project Almas! You're the best.

Sleazoid, try and find the Ocarina Code Manager. You can edit your codesets as you see fit. For example if you have some people that don't like B+ cause of the changes at least you can agree to allow no tripping all the time.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337

This is what I do:
have an RSBE01.gct file on the card
also have GCTs for your other code sets
use SD explorer to rename the code set you want to use to RSBE01.gct

Xaej

Smash Cadet
Exactly which codes now? I'm also willing to help you test them and make sure they are working as intended. Thanks for all the hard work you have done for this project Almas! You're the best.

Sleazoid, try and find the Ocarina Code Manager. You can edit your codesets as you see fit. For example if you have some people that don't like B+ cause of the changes at least you can agree to allow no tripping all the time.
tripping adds an element to the game and should remain :laugh:

BEES

Smash Lord
You don't need to chip your Wii to run burned games. You can get a homebrew app that runs backup/burned games. Though it is greatly frowned upon.
Heck at that point you could get a homebrew app to run the game from a sufficiently large SD card. They make them big enough for that.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
HEY ALL YOU BABIES THAT DONT WANT TO LEARN HOW TO RECOVER

use the no-ASL code, you larks (you know, the one that makes it so you have to sweetspot your recovery). it'll only screw you over in the long run, and it teaches you to recover more skillfully.
this is definitely going to be one of the umbilical cords that will be difficult to snip.

Top Bottom