• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Patch Notes v1.03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Perhaps check for a correlation between patch size and quantity of saved replays? If it's positive, you could indirectly check for more specific changes based on what kind of replays you have saved.
I have a single replay saved and got 750 blocks.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
The only thing I've noticed so far is that the timing on jab-cancelling seems easier. Also, NA here, dl was 561 blocks

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I have one confirmed change, and I suspect this is the only change they made:

There was an issue pre-patch where several multi-hit moves would drop, especially light characters and especially in the air. Two examples are ZSS' side-b and up-b. In 1.0.2, Little Mac could hold up to escape ZSS' up-b on the ground and in the air, and several characters basically fell out of her up-b when she tried to use it in the air as a kill move. This issue has been corrected; I have only seen up-b drop once and I spaced it very very badly.

After some testing it seems most multi-hit specials (Firefox, MK side-b) have been adjusted to hold on to characters a little better after they've hit.

This change does not seem to affect some multi-hit jabs like Diddy Kong's, which still is really easy to escape.
Made a replay about how DP's Fsmash wouldn't always link the hits together. No desync. If what you say is true, it's for individual moves instead of a mechanics change.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
The only thing I've noticed so far is that the timing on jab-cancelling seems easier. Also, NA here, dl was 561 blocks
I've noticed this too, it seems I'm able to cancel DDD's jab combo into Dtilt easier. Someone who doesn't have the update yet please try testing this before and after updating.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I've noticed this too, it seems I'm able to cancel DDD's jab combo into Dtilt easier. Someone who doesn't have the update yet please try testing this before and after updating.
There's no difference between the two versions to me.

If you don't have two versions on hand or don't have video evidence of the two versions, if something "feels different", it's more than likely not different at all.

Last edited:

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I think I missed the boat on this one, but what makes G&W so OP, his throw into 9hammer? For that matter, what about Villager and Pikachu also mentioned?

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Is there a single verified change that can be easily verified? A damage number or anything? No?
"Mii Fighters" info box now says "Create a unique fighter based on a Mii character!" rather than "... on an a Mii character!"

lol

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Okay I can't really confirm this one way or another but Bowser Jr and co seem to be tweaked a bit. I've only tested them against high-end cpus so far but it seems so much easier to do damage with them. One run I did on a level 8 Charizard on an omega stage, no items ended with me getting 14 kos on it with only 3 falls, much, MUCH better than I can normally do.

Like I said, I'm in no position to confirm and probably wrong though given the rather horrible win-loss ratio I've seen on replay channel there's a chance they got a tweak or two.
Also the shields don't seem utterly useless like they were for me before.

Just wondering if any analysts wants to look into the Koopa Kids?

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Oh, Nintendo and their completely underwhelming "balance" patches. It surprises me that they're not even focusing on major glitches such as Yoshi's teleport. Maybe they're saving those for a larger patch?

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Call me crazy but I think pac-man's grab is faster now.
You are definitely crazy :p

Also, all of Bowser Jr's damage values are exactly the same.

Last edited:
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Is there a single verified change that can be easily verified? A damage number or anything? No?
I don't knwo if this is what you're looking for, but if you have 1.0.2, hold "up" as little mac and have ZSS up b him. He escapes.

Try the same thing in 1.0.3 and he doesn't.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Zelda is exactly the same. So
I think I missed the boat on this one, but what makes G&W so OP, his throw into 9hammer? For that matter, what about Villager and Pikachu also mentioned?
G&W and Pikachu in the same team have an instant one hit KO move in Thunder + Bucket.
Villagers can do something similar with trees an Pocket.

Last edited:

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
I tested Replays, they work, this doesnt completely rule out the posibility though, could be using previous downloaded patches.

BTW, I think Zelda's aerial sweetspots have more range

EDIT:

I think her UAir comes a lot faster too

Last edited:

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I need to test this again, but I just got 11 items from smash run instead of the usual max of 10.

Maybe collecting more than ten doesn't overwrite the earliest thing you collected anymore?

Nvm, apparently this was always the case.

Last edited:

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Not sure if someone mentioned this, but the glitch with King Dedede's Gordos sticking on him is still in. Saw it in an online game after getting the patch.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I need to test this again, but I just got 11 items from smash run instead of the usual max of 10.

Maybe collecting more than ten doesn't overwrite the earliest thing you collected anymore?
It was like that before the patch. Apparently, you can only get up to 6 custom equipment per Smash Run match, while the rest of the rewards are Smash Run powers and/or trophies.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Don't know if this got an answer or not, but:
Did Marth's range get increased slightly? I hear it did, but I'm not totally sure after testing. I think so, but I don't know...

Azaris

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1848-1701-2271
As far as rolling I'm 99% that has NOT been changed I didn't notice ANY lag of any kind when rolling or spot dodging.

I think I found a change. HOWEVER I may be mistaken.
In The random stage switch option I see an all off button. i don't know if that was there before or not.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Do not forget that this is Nintendo and Smash has never been an E-Sport Game in the first place. Of course there might me a few balance fixes in the long run, but for now I guess this patch is about bugfixing etc.

Last edited:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I have one confirmed change, and I suspect this is the only change they made:

There was an issue pre-patch where several multi-hit moves would drop, especially light characters and especially in the air. Two examples are ZSS' side-b and up-b. In 1.0.2, Little Mac could hold up to escape ZSS' up-b on the ground and in the air, and several characters basically fell out of her up-b when she tried to use it in the air as a kill move. This issue has been corrected; I have only seen up-b drop once and I spaced it very very badly.

After some testing it seems most multi-hit specials (Firefox, MK side-b) have been adjusted to hold on to characters a little better after they've hit.

This change does not seem to affect some multi-hit jabs like Diddy Kong's, which still is really easy to escape.
i've noticed this as well, aerial up-B in particular seems a lot more reliable (as zss) and i've so far not had side-B not connect

i haven't really had time to play much with zelda or ness soo no idea how much they're affected (since as ness i was having a friend of mine sdi out of fair relatively consistently pre-patch)
As far as rolling I'm 99% that has NOT been changed I didn't notice ANY lag of any kind when rolling or spot dodging.

In The random stage switch option I see an all off button. i don't know if that was there before or not.
it was there before

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
If yoshi kept his teleport glitch it is 100% confirmed that not a single character has an actual gameplay change. You honestly think theyd patch knock back or percent before they patched a serious teleportation glitch? Lol.

wamuzu

Smash Rookie
If yoshi kept his teleport glitch it is 100% confirmed that not a single character has an actual gameplay change. You honestly think theyd patch knock back or percent before they patched a serious teleportation glitch? Lol.
You're forgetting this is Nintendo we're talking about.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's been there since release. But probably a few changes had been made. Not sure what.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Because patching a game is easy and they should be able to instantly respond to things with a patch right?

Bugs take time to fix and there are other priorities. On top of that who knows how long ago they finished this particular patch before it was approved, QA tested, and loaded to the eshop of every region.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Double Posting Warning Received
Guys, the main point of this patch is screenshot Sharing.

This patch was probably in validation before the NA release. I hear Nintendo's cross-region validation time is around 20 business days, but it's hard to say how this relates to Smash Bros. Smash probably gets priority treatment, but also demands extra testing and coordinated multi-region release.

It's not a balance patch, so stop complaining. This is 1.0.3, not 1.1.0.

Some people will undoubtedly make a fuss that Nintendo says "Adjustments have also been made to balance the game and make for a more pleasant gaming experience." on the official help page.

However, they said this on every patch.

They said it on 1.0.2, which did nothing but fix the Peach bug.

This is because Sakurai is not personally writing the online help entries for all 13 major regions/languages. It's some random interns twice removed from the actual dev team, who are always going to follow protocol and post a generic message for every patch.

Note that the eShop page itself, and the game itself, does not allude to any balance changes.

The important observation is that this protocol for generic patch messages in the localization teams suggests that balance patches ARE planned. So that's interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Balance patches are stupid.

Why not just make do with the characters that are already good and leave the bad ones not played as? Melee is perfectly fine as it is and no one's changing it. It will be a headache to constantly adapt to major gameplay changes when we're just starting to hammer out the high-level play of this game.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Balance patches are stupid.

Why not just make do with the characters that are already good and leave the bad ones not played as? Melee is perfectly fine as it is and no one's changing it. It will be a headache to constantly adapt to major gameplay changes when we're just starting to hammer out the high-level play of this game.
That's perhaps the most pigheaded, obstinate string of logic I've ever tried to parse. Wasn't the centralized metagame one of the largest grievances about Brawl? That you have one character so much better than the rest of the cast as to render 90% of them irrelevant, and the rest focusing all of their efforts on how to deal with said character?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Honestly there's no way any kind of balance patches should be considered before EVO 2015, and even that might be pushing it. As it is there's very little consensus as to which characters are the best outside of a few like Rosaluma and Sheik, to say nothing about what the customs meta looks like. We don't even have the Wii U version, so a lot of ATs and movement exploits aren't really feasible at this point. We also don't have a clue what the stage list will look like other than that it will have BF and FD. I have no clue as to why Nintendo isn't patching obvious stuff like the Dedede Gordo glitch though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
That's perhaps the most pigheaded, obstinate string of logic I've ever tried to parse. Wasn't the centralized metagame one of the largest grievances about Brawl? That you have one character so much better than the rest of the cast as to render 90% of them irrelevant, and the rest focusing all of their efforts on how to deal with said character?
Which is why I referred to Melee, which had less of a centralized metagame (had more than one character viable), but was centralized nonetheless.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Smash 4 v1.03, eh? Oh yes! :grin: I've been looking forward for this ever since I saw "v1.03" during the direct and now I'm just speculating about what we'll get from the patch (Minus the Sm4sh Wii U and 3DS capabilities stuff, because were all aware of it).
What I hope for the next patch is they:

- Work on the characters who are very weak or very strong to keep the cast balanced.
- Work on one of the For Glory modes (Such as FFA Smash and Team Smash, because it feels like went lazy on those modes...).
- Add an option to turn on or off elevated platforms (Mainly because I want some platforms in For Glory too.).
- Make exceptions for some stages that are competitively used for tournaments.

And there you have it. :ohwell: I'm aware that there are For Glory bullets above, but 1v1s shouldn't be the ONLY addictive online mode to play.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Balanced Brawl and Melee SDR are at least unofficial and done for fun.
When I made Balanced Brawl with Amazing Ampharos, the underlying question we always asked ourselves was:

"What would the dev team have done with just a little more time, especially with the years of community knowledge?"

This led the the follow goals:
  • Make as many matchups as even as possible
  • Remove degenerate content like infinites, planking, and tripping to keep the game both exciting and accessible
  • Be minimally invasive and change as little as possible, in the least intrusive way possible
You always iterate and improve a game. But, as Sakurai says, games do have to come out sometime. Fortunately, in 2014 we can have our cake and eat it too. Developers can release a a game, and still continue to improve it in small ways.

Modern competitive games like Starcraft, SF4, LoL, DotA, and most MMOs have thrived based on well-designed balance patches that maintain a healthy and diverse competitive environment. LoL in 2014 is a waaay better game than LoL in 2009!

Both Melee and Brawl have inferior balance to most modern fighting games. (Defined as average std dev of matchup ratios, but other definitions will work too.) I'm excited to see the increased longevity that a balanced Smash Bros game may hold.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Which is why I referred to Melee, which had less of a centralized metagame (had more than one character viable), but was centralized nonetheless.
Splitting hairs are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom