• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

M

myemfar

I wasn't at the tourney today, but just as a little advice about your anxiety: try to go into every tournament with an I'm gonna kick some *** mentality. You'd be surprised how much being in a positive mindstate can affect your gameplay. Also in every match try to set goals for yourself. For example: I main marth in melee and in tournaments a lot of the time i would set goals to space my attacks perfectly so i don't get shield grabbed and not be predictable. If your mind is focused on the goals you are trying to accomplish, its not focused on your anxiety. Just tryin to help cuz when i first started to try playing competitively i had the same problem myself, so I know what its like.
I'll try that next time, thanks :D.

kmgamer

Smash Apprentice
Idk how late it would go, but it would start around noon probably and just go until we don't have enough people anymore. At the latest 11 or 12 tho. I'm down for so much smash if i'm playin against good competition lol

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Also, steve won a money match against nite, also hilarious.

Get *****, Nite.
Nite

Get owned, Nite.
Get wrecked

hebrahi u ****ing suck. Grand junction results:

brawl singles-
1st. Tim
2nd. Yang
3rd. Tony
4th. Mike

Soul calibur 2:
1st. some guy
2nd. some guy
3rd. Yang

Marvel vs Capcom 2:
1st. Yang
2nd. Ryyudo
3rd. Shae
FFFFFUUUU what the hell?

Hey all, if I was to have a small melee get together/smashfest at my place in Aurora on Wednesday, who would be game to come? So far, Sean is for sure going, and I talked to Kenny today and he might be down as well. A few of my college friends are for sure gonna be there too and they're pretty decent.

I know most of the people on this board are more into brawl competitively than melee, so if enough people can go we might be able to get some brawl/brawl+ matches in as well. Its gonna mainly be melee though for old times sake and bcuz i'm the **** at that game and not brawl lol.

Edit: Nothing is a for sure plan yet because i still have to make sure with my parents that i can have a lot of people over, but it should happen as long as people are down
Cannot make this since I wont be back ti'll Friday lame.

Hey there! It was nice meeting some of you today, I had a lot of fun, and learned that I really need to figure out a way to calm myself down in tournaments, lol. like, I won a fair amount of friendlies, but in the tournament matches I'd just panic and make lots of mistakes, lol. during one of my matches my pulse was going so fast i could feel my heart beating in my FACE. yes, i could. It was very distracting. That being said, good matches to all of you who i played today! hopefully i can get over my competition anxiety soon :).
Just wait until there's HYPE. You'll live for these moments.

Also Moblin, I disagree with playing melee in order to improve at brawl. That is ridiculous because both games are completely different.

Read One Piece to chp.400, 136 more to go, spent a whole day just reading 200 chapters =|

kmgamer

Smash Apprentice
=|
I'll be in Aurora til next Sunday. If you still wanna play friday or saturday during the day would probably work for me. It'd be nice to catch up too.

Edit: myemfar, do you go to csu? if you do, i have a friend there who's pretty good at smash but melee in particular. i'm sure he'd be down to play you sometime fa sho.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
He means wait until the moments when MikeZ and I are there, screaming and shouting and hyping the whole thing up.

I'd go, Kyle. :D!

brawl teams didn't happen becuz of **** contraints
Fix'd that for you. They didn't want to give us more of their money.

I wasn't at the tourney today, but just as a little advice about your anxiety: try to go into every tournament with an I'm gonna kick some *** mentality. You'd be surprised how much being in a positive mindstate can affect your gameplay. Also in every match try to set goals for yourself. For example: I main marth in melee and in tournaments a lot of the time i would set goals to space my attacks perfectly so i don't get shield grabbed and not be predictable. If your mind is focused on the goals you are trying to accomplish, its not focused on your anxiety. Just tryin to help cuz when i first started to try playing competitively i had the same problem myself, so I know what its like.
Also, avoid caffeine, amirite? lolololol

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice

Nite

Get wrecked

FFFFFUUUU what the hell?

Just wait until there's HYPE. You'll live for these moments.

Also Moblin, I disagree with playing melee in order to improve at brawl. That is ridiculous because both games are completely different.

Read One Piece to chp.400, 136 more to go, spent a whole day just reading 200 chapters =|
i went beast mode

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Hey all, if I was to have a small melee get together/smashfest at my place in Aurora on Wednesday, who would be game to come? So far, Sean is for sure going, and I talked to Kenny today and he might be down as well. A few of my college friends are for sure gonna be there too and they're pretty decent.

I know most of the people on this board are more into brawl competitively than melee, so if enough people can go we might be able to get some brawl/brawl+ matches in as well. Its gonna mainly be melee though for old times sake and bcuz i'm the **** at that game and not brawl lol.

Edit: Nothing is a for sure plan yet because i still have to make sure with my parents that i can have a lot of people over, but it should happen as long as people are down
I'd totally be there, but I'm leaving on Tuesday for spring break, and getting back sunday :( :(

i went beast mode
lol

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
I have soooooo much homework today. Now, the question is whether I do it or not.

What's this about something going on this Saturday?

It's more like by playing melee you'll improve as a competitive player in general, not really just at brawl.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
haha, no idea. that's part of the reason i made that post, cause I want to know who is who, lol.

He used dark blue yoshi and fox if that narrows it down at all, lol.
That was me, thanks for the props. I was just hoping you wouldn't keep playing peach. Peach owns me for some reason.

Now to all the kids who got owned by the other kind of Peach. The kind that likes to spam arrows and generally play a campy pit, she responds with "Learn to play noobs!" Honestly, play to win using the tools of the game. One of those tools happens to be and incredibly lame controllable projectile given to an incredibly gay charater named Pit. One more thing you need to learn to deal with.

She also says "Its an incredibly gay, but viable tourney tactic."

I agree, it is incredibly gay, but i concede it is vaible.

Also I want a rematch with Nite on warioware, cause that was that the greatest match evar.
I just hope I dont get the big mushroom then get comboed to **** and back for a free 100%

PeachyPit

Smash Apprentice
I LOVE YOU COLORADO! <3 <3

also, i'm now going to troll (Iand by troll i mean hangout...but you'll consider it trolling) this thread! <3 <3

Eh yo nub who hates my campy ***, don't worry i won't be back for a while here, but don't let this discourage from training and going to other tournament and becoming better. Really, in tournaments you havta face many many different playstyles and tactics. You must learn to adapt. You got this kid! <3

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
The Anime Wasabi tourney this coming weekend will have more brawl tournies, along with a brawl 'workshop' that I have been drafted into doing O.o

Aaaanyway, I'll put in my say on camping and such. Camping is in every fighting game, but the smash series hates on it for some reason, possibly because it isn't as fun and doesn't look as awesome. Oh well, doesn't matter, it's a strategy. And like every strategy, you've got three options: ***** about it, do it, or beat it. *****ing can make you feel better and garner some advice, but eventually will have to be abandoned for one of the other strats.

Do it better is a solid strategy, outcamp the camper, chain grab the guy chain grabbing you, or rush down the aggressive player. Camping isn't limited to projectiles, Sonic and Fox can camp people all day without fighting back, energy projectile camping becomes psi magnet camping against ness and lucas. Or even just camp with perfect shielding, it isn't too hard to learn to time it. And pit isn't even the best projectile camper, Snake and Tink can spam him to hell.

Third option, likely the best option, learn to beat it. Getting camped is annoying, so you get in on the person. Once you get in, it isn't just getting a hit, you have to keep in mind what their escape paths are, how much shield they have, which way your moves are going to send them, and what they can do to fight back. Once you keep all this in mind, trapping a camper isn't that hard. Likewise, good campers will have to learn how to escape situations, and how to fight in close combat correctly. Just spamming arrows isn't going to win Peachy many tourneys, as shown, so mobility and keeping movement options clear are important.

And finally, I'd like to point out that Peachy's bff Gimpuphosh hates camping, and his bowser got camped to hell by Sonic, and he whined about it to a tourney director. Whatever happened to playing to win?

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
The Anime Wasabi tourney this coming weekend will have more brawl tournies, along with a brawl 'workshop' that I have been drafted into doing O.o

Aaaanyway, I'll put in my say on camping and such. Camping is in every fighting game, but the smash series hates on it for some reason, possibly because it isn't as fun and doesn't look as awesome. Oh well, doesn't matter, it's a strategy. And like every strategy, you've got three options: ***** about it, do it, or beat it. *****ing can make you feel better and garner some advice, but eventually will have to be abandoned for one of the other strats.

Do it better is a solid strategy, outcamp the camper, chain grab the guy chain grabbing you, or rush down the aggressive player. Camping isn't limited to projectiles, Sonic and Fox can camp people all day without fighting back, energy projectile camping becomes psi magnet camping against ness and lucas. Or even just camp with perfect shielding, it isn't too hard to learn to time it. And pit isn't even the best projectile camper, Snake and Tink can spam him to hell.

Third option, likely the best option, learn to beat it. Getting camped is annoying, so you get in on the person. Once you get in, it isn't just getting a hit, you have to keep in mind what their escape paths are, how much shield they have, which way your moves are going to send them, and what they can do to fight back. Once you keep all this in mind, trapping a camper isn't that hard. Likewise, good campers will have to learn how to escape situations, and how to fight in close combat correctly. Just spamming arrows isn't going to win Peachy many tourneys, as shown, so mobility and keeping movement options clear are important.

And finally, I'd like to point out that Peachy's bff Gimpuphosh hates camping, and his bowser got camped to hell by Sonic, and he whined about it to a tourney director. Whatever happened to playing to win?
will there be teams at wasabi? oh btw this is a 2 day thing right?

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
I think the tourney in denver was one of the funnest ive had in forever and not just cause peach is cool but because I was not able to underestimate anyone

Good job on your lucario david your super gay playstyle owned me xD I still think that falco match was bull i do that trick all the time i just didnt know it didnt work on PS1

Lunchmeat hahaha you owned the **** out of jeris he was telling me how he had no idea how to get around your playstyle I gave him some pointers but he couldnt even get past his brother to try it out xD

Magus- God **** bananas D: If you learn to beat falco i dont think i have any way of beating you anymore

And I cant believe me and peachy did so good against team jeris family
we were beastly =D

Also i met some good melee player there from oregon If you go here good games and hope to see you again man

Same with the new players that showed up you were all good and know what youre doing just need to get used to that tourney pressure.

im done for now

OHHHHH ANDWTF FLUX WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU >=(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, any of you who were in denver today that played me (Myem/myemfar, I primarily used peach, donkey, and a little wario) Should tell me either here or in a message or something what tag you used in brawl today so that i can know which people have which smashboards accounts (if that makes sense, i know i met a few of you but the only two i can connect an account to a person with are Zajice (you were on the ness/lucas team i played right?) and marroner (i think thats how it's spelled))
Yeah, that was me. I was the extremely long-haired guy there. I need a haircut :/ I played Ness and was actually surprised how well I did with him. I know nothing special about him and I had to kind of wing it... The only reason we did that team is because we had been messing around with them lately and they made a good team. We originally gonna do a Snake and Pikachu team, but somehow ended up doing Ness and Lucas. Meh, I dunno.

I don't remember who you are specifically though. Were you the guy who wanted to do a Peach ditto with Spelt? And he killed himself in like the first 10 seconds... I remember the name Myem but don't remember who used it. :S

And I had issues with being nervous too. Especially against this one guy who completely owned me with Wolf. I knew nothing about Wolf to begin with and he started doing all this stuff I didn't know how to deal with. It mixed with my already nervous mindstate and I couldn't concentrate. I just kinda started doing things and hoped they would hit. X_X

I LOVE YOU COLORADO! <3 <3

also, i'm now going to troll (Iand by troll i mean hangout...but you'll consider it trolling) this thread! <3 <3

Eh yo nub who hates my campy ***, don't worry i won't be back for a while here, but don't let this discourage from training and going to other tournament and becoming better. Really, in tournaments you havta face many many different playstyles and tactics. You must learn to adapt. You got this kid! <3
It's not me who hates the camping. I mean yeah, I hate camping but I can deal with it fairly well. I kinda made it a goal to become a master at avoiding campy people when I got completely owned by a total noob who spammed Pit's arrows the entire game. Since then, I've never had any issues with camping. I know that if I mained Pit, I'd probably be a spammy camper too. It's a great tactic, even if it's extremely lame... and you can't deny that it's lame, no matter how effective it is.

It's Spelt who is anti-camp. He can't stand people who do it. Maybe you're the one who will make him practice strategies against camping. His only tactic is spot-dodge spam. :p And he killed himself in all the matches against you. So that, combined with the camping, kinda got him down, especially since it was his first ever tourney match.

Also, when I first heard you're name, I though you were that ~Peachy~ girl who runs the ~Good Friends~ group. That confused me because the two of you are completely different. D:

Edit: Why do all of my posts become tl;dr...? ಠ_ಠ I need to type less...

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice

I missed this post
Ill force jeris to go to this one because its not fun unless we have him owning everyone
Plus I obviously want to go to this too

GanondorfMan33

Smash Cadet
DT: Yes, sorry I ignored you.

Nite: Parents were on their period, didn't let me go. I was..... really mad to say the least. I will be there next week, NO BS. I kinda miss you Nite :( No homo

Camping. Camping! You look like a idiot when you cry about losing to camping. It is your responsibility to know matchups, and how to beat camping of all styles. If you lose to a camper, it's your fault, not theirs. I personally think camping is a fabulous strategy, especially in this game. It should definitely be done.

You can ***** and cry all you want but the only thing that makes you do is feel better. Doesn't create the "W."

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't mean to start a camping debate here. D:

"Camping is an extremely gay, but viable tourney tactic."

Can't we leave it at that? Camping is gay, but it works. It can be beaten and it's your fault if you can't beat it, but still, you can whine about how gay it is even if you win. Personally, I don't care if you win or lose against a camper, you can still talk about how lame it was. Nobody like it unless they're the ones doing it, so it's natural for people to complain about it regardless of the outcome.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
I love you too man T.T
And camping is the lamest thing in the world ever
Buuuut I still do it a lot so i cant complain xD

Oh and if any new people here play wifi let me know cause i love me some wifi =D

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
And I had issues with being nervous too. Especially against this one guy who completely owned me with Wolf. I knew nothing about Wolf to begin with and he started doing all this stuff I didn't know how to deal with. It mixed with my already nervous mindstate and I couldn't concentrate. I just kinda started doing things and hoped they would hit. X_X
Did the guy have long hair, or was he black? Those are the only Wolf players I know of here. =/

If you're unfamiliar with a match-up that you encounter in tournament, use the first round to try and learn all their tricks and habits. You have a shield button for a reason. Hide in it and see how he responds. With Snake, grab and dthrow. Watch how they roll, especially in relevance to edges and platforms. Use the first match to learn what you can punish with what, and just accept that something they do works. Yesterday, I went GaW against Yang. At one point, I dthrew him, read his tech, followed it, and 9'ed him.

Only he didn't just accept that I got a free hit after a successful tech-chase, and he ftilted. It clashed with the 9 (srsly, wtf?) and he went to win the set from it.

When looking for gaps in their ground pressure, just hold jab. Once you see a jab come out, you know where you can exploit openings from there on out. For air, just use jumps/dodges wisely. You can attack, too, but Snake's air attacks require commitment, so I dunno if that's the best idea.

So yeah, just use the first match to learn, especially if you lose. And NEVER accept defeat, even when you feel completely outclassed. There were so many matches at Final Round that I could have just given up on when I was on my last stock, 100+% as Kirby, with my opponent on a fresh stock. Because I wanted the win more, I was able to work past all of them aside from 2, and I lost to one just because I accepted defeat when I shouldn't have.

Clutch play is VERY important for succeeding at high-level play. On our last set yesterday, Yang was down to last stock in what could have been his last match of the tournament . I had already 2-0'ed him. All I needed was one more stock to win the set. He buckled down and won 3 straight matches.

So yeah, don't ever let yourself be overwhelmed, especially with Brawl's slow and defensive nature.

Also, I disagree with Moblin. Playing Melee will not improve your Brawl game, at all. Playing Brawl helps with Melee, because it works on patience, poking, and shield pushing/stabbing for combos. Melee is too complex to downgrade to Brawl and improve. If you want to play another fighter to work on your Brawl game, get into Street Fighter 4. Game teaches you everything you need to know for any fighter ever.

Also, good games to Grand Junction. Crews were too much fun, and all my **** talk isn't meant to be taken seriously.

Individual stuff:

Lance - Thanks for helping me look for my controller, and good job on the tournament. Try to have a pre-reg for the next GJ tournament. It was kinda sad going up to GJ for a 16 man bracket, especially when all this hype happened back in Denver. Still, it was fairly fun, aside from Shea randomly power-trippin'. Good stuff. I think you played Snake v me in crews, right?

Just utilt, seriously. If someone is jumping and they're over 100%, they should eat a juicy utilt.

Missy - I think that's her name, anyway. To whichever girl I played in tournament, good matches. I don't know if you're serious or not, but if you are, stick with one character until you start owning GJ. Be careful about spamming smashes, that's what I caught you for most.

The Olimar player - Dunno your name, mangz. Don't get so disheartened when you lose. Especially in Kirby v Olimar. It's a bad match-up. I know you said you just play for fun, but you didn't seem to have fun after that first match. You should consider either looking into what you need to know with Olimar, or just playing casually. I'd love to see you in tournament again, but if it's just going to frustrate you and waste your money, maybe you should just show up for casual play.

Artos/Link player - GGs.

Sora - GGs. Don't give up so easily. Also, USE YOUR COUNTERPICKS! I should never hear "I don't care" in loser's semi-finals, especially in relevance to counter-picks.

GJ in general - You guys should learn what counterpicks you prefer and start using them. Stop charging smashes and hoping that they'll hit, and start reading your opponent. If need be, I can play each of you next weekend and tell you what habits you have to work on. Hell, I'll play all of you and post your habits up on here so that your friends can see them and help you break them, if you want. It was nice meeting you guys, and I hope you continue to play and improve. I would love to take our next crew battle with you guys seriously. Denver needs competition.

Though you should never do the whole, "I didn't know Denver was so full of nerds" during crews just because you're getting worked. I may have misinterpreted this, but it sounded a lot like you were saying that because we were winning, we had no lives. AZ consoled one of their friends at AZ One Two by saying that "at least he was getting laid" after he lost to Tim. Personal attacks during crews and all that are VERY uncalled for. I've crossed the line on accident before and apologized when it has been brought to my attention.

You're at a game tournament that you paid money to enter. You're not cool. You're a gaming nerd like everyone else there, at least until you leave the building.

Shea - No offense, man, but you really need to tone down that ego of yours. You were incredibly invasive of private space, and disrespectful both to your attendants and the games they played. If you don't like Street Fighter IV, just say that. Don't say it sucks, it's the same game as ST, and that 3s is much better. It just makes you look like an ignorant hater, especially when you get 5-0'ed in 3s and can't even stick to one character.

For the record, SFIV favors defensive options and poking slightly over rushdown. ST (Or SFII, as you referred to it) is MUCH more aggressive, with characters like Honda needing to get in on O. Sagat as quickly as possible or risk getting zoned to death by tigerspam. Meaties, tick throws, and cross-ups are INCREDIBLY important. Backdashing ruins most of those options in SFIV. I could go into more detail, but I doubt you care to hear it.

Demanding that everyone stop their matches at THAT instant is okay, but not if it happens 3-4 times. If you didn't notice when Tim won singles, he didn't really care to get everyone's attention and force them to stop playing friendlies. The people that cared about finals watched them and knew the outcome. There was no need to harass everyone into watching you give him $90.

You did it for announcing things like MvC2 and SC2 results. Again, the people that care will watch finals and pay attention to rewards. Don't bother other people into recognizing them, or you'll just have the attendants resent you and (possibly) the winner. Making people clap instead of just asking for a round of applause is lame, too.

Then you made MikeZ and I quit in the middle of a match so that we could move to another TV. Like... you couldn't wait another 45 seconds for us to finish? Was the restaurant going to explode if we didn't stop playing that instant?

Seriously, it came across as you just power-trippin' and refusing to respect your attendants.

If the venue is that picky, I'd suggest holding it somewhere else. While it was nice having a room that size (and in a restaurant, no less), we would gladly attend a tournament at someone's house if it meant that we wouldn't have to drop what we're doing to cater to the venue's desires. That and having no food or drink allowed that wasn't an overpriced mediocre Asian dish was extremely lame.

And don't don't DON'T ever touch me and continue to touch me after I said to quit it. No joke, I will knock your *** out if that ever happens again. The first time was whatever. I'm used to people being weird with personal space around me, and can be generally understanding. However, you kept your hands on me after I said to quit it. I let it slide to keep relations good with Denver.

Then I see you doin' it to someone else later, and they tell you to stop, and you don't. To make matters worse, you give us back our doubles entry fee by stuffing it in our shirts. If I wasn't playing a round of teams Melee, I seriously would have just taken the money right out of your hands and distributed it amongst the rest of us appropriately. Learn to respect people's personal space. At least stop trying to cop a feel on our totally sweet hockey bods.

That said, if you can respect my boundaries and be more respectful to your attendants, I'm willing to be civil. Hell, I'll even give you tips on Sonic. I just hate power-trippin', disregard for personal space, and the overly theatrical style that you tried to present everything in. I know it's your first tournament to run, and that I'm being a bit harsh, but these things seriously rubbed me the wrong way, and all contributed to most of Denver not wanting to make the drive back up to GJ again anytime soon. =/

----

This concludes another monster Zeal post. :D!

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
**** you guys. I like melee better. XD

The problem I have with camping is that this fact is false: If you're good enough, any character can get through camping.

I guess I'm just butt hurt that ganon has, at worst, a 25-75 matchup against a tourney level Metaknight. And a 5-95 matchup against any kind of good camping.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Did the guy have long hair, or was he black? Those are the only Wolf players I know of here. =/

If you're unfamiliar with a match-up that you encounter in tournament, use the first round to try and learn all their tricks and habits. You have a shield button for a reason. Hide in it and see how he responds. With Snake, grab and dthrow. Watch how they roll, especially in relevance to edges and platforms. Use the first match to learn what you can punish with what, and just accept that something they do works. Yesterday, I went GaW against Yang. At one point, I dthrew him, read his tech, followed it, and 9'ed him.

Only he didn't just accept that I got a free hit after a successful tech-chase, and he ftilted. It clashed with the 9 (srsly, wtf?) and he went to win the set from it.

When looking for gaps in their ground pressure, just hold jab. Once you see a jab come out, you know where you can exploit openings from there on out. For air, just use jumps/dodges wisely. You can attack, too, but Snake's air attacks require commitment, so I dunno if that's the best idea.

So yeah, just use the first match to learn, especially if you lose. And NEVER accept defeat, even when you feel completely outclassed. There were so many matches at Final Round that I could have just given up on when I was on my last stock, 100+% as Kirby, with my opponent on a fresh stock. Because I wanted the win more, I was able to work past all of them aside from 2, and I lost to one just because I accepted defeat when I shouldn't have.

Clutch play is VERY important for succeeding at high-level play. On our last set yesterday, Yang was down to last stock in what could have been his last match of the tournament . I had already 2-0'ed him. All I needed was one more stock to win the set. He buckled down and won 3 straight matches.

So yeah, don't ever let yourself be overwhelmed, especially with Brawl's slow and defensive nature.

Also, I disagree with Moblin. Playing Melee will not improve your Brawl game, at all. Playing Brawl helps with Melee, because it works on patience, poking, and shield pushing/stabbing for combos. Melee is too complex to downgrade to Brawl and improve. If you want to play another fighter to work on your Brawl game, get into Street Fighter 4. Game teaches you everything you need to know for any fighter ever.

Also, good games to Grand Junction. Crews were too much fun, and all my **** talk isn't meant to be taken seriously.

Individual stuff:

Lance - Thanks for helping me look for my controller, and good job on the tournament. Try to have a pre-reg for the next GJ tournament. It was kinda sad going up to GJ for a 16 man bracket, especially when all this hype happened back in Denver. Still, it was fairly fun, aside from Shea randomly power-trippin'. Good stuff. I think you played Snake v me in crews, right?

Just utilt, seriously. If someone is jumping and they're over 100%, they should eat a juicy utilt.

Missy - I think that's her name, anyway. To whichever girl I played in tournament, good matches. I don't know if you're serious or not, but if you are, stick with one character until you start owning GJ. Be careful about spamming smashes, that's what I caught you for most.

The Olimar player - Dunno your name, mangz. Don't get so disheartened when you lose. Especially in Kirby v Olimar. It's a bad match-up. I know you said you just play for fun, but you didn't seem to have fun after that first match. You should consider either looking into what you need to know with Olimar, or just playing casually. I'd love to see you in tournament again, but if it's just going to frustrate you and waste your money, maybe you should just show up for casual play.

Artos/Link player - GGs.

Sora - GGs. Don't give up so easily. Also, USE YOUR COUNTERPICKS! I should never hear "I don't care" in loser's semi-finals, especially in relevance to counter-picks.

GJ in general - You guys should learn what counterpicks you prefer and start using them. Stop charging smashes and hoping that they'll hit, and start reading your opponent. If need be, I can play each of you next weekend and tell you what habits you have to work on. Hell, I'll play all of you and post your habits up on here so that your friends can see them and help you break them, if you want. It was nice meeting you guys, and I hope you continue to play and improve. I would love to take our next crew battle with you guys seriously. Denver needs competition.

Though you should never do the whole, "I didn't know Denver was so full of nerds" during crews just because you're getting worked. I may have misinterpreted this, but it sounded a lot like you were saying that because we were winning, we had no lives. AZ consoled one of their friends at AZ One Two by saying that "at least he was getting laid" after he lost to Tim. Personal attacks during crews and all that are VERY uncalled for. I've crossed the line on accident before and apologized when it has been brought to my attention.

You're at a game tournament that you paid money to enter. You're not cool. You're a gaming nerd like everyone else there, at least until you leave the building.

Shea - No offense, man, but you really need to tone down that ego of yours. You were incredibly invasive of private space, and disrespectful both to your attendants and the games they played. If you don't like Street Fighter IV, just say that. Don't say it sucks, it's the same game as ST, and that 3s is much better. It just makes you look like an ignorant hater, especially when you get 5-0'ed in 3s and can't even stick to one character.

For the record, SFIV favors defensive options and poking slightly over rushdown. ST (Or SFII, as you referred to it) is MUCH more aggressive, with characters like Honda needing to get in on O. Sagat as quickly as possible or risk getting zoned to death by tigerspam. Meaties, tick throws, and cross-ups are INCREDIBLY important. Backdashing ruins most of those options in SFIV. I could go into more detail, but I doubt you care to hear it.

Demanding that everyone stop their matches at THAT instant is okay, but not if it happens 3-4 times. If you didn't notice when Tim won singles, he didn't really care to get everyone's attention and force them to stop playing friendlies. The people that cared about finals watched them and knew the outcome. There was no need to harass everyone into watching you give him $90.

You did it for announcing things like MvC2 and SC2 results. Again, the people that care will watch finals and pay attention to rewards. Don't bother other people into recognizing them, or you'll just have the attendants resent you and (possibly) the winner. Making people clap instead of just asking for a round of applause is lame, too.

Then you made MikeZ and I quit in the middle of a match so that we could move to another TV. Like... you couldn't wait another 45 seconds for us to finish? Was the restaurant going to explode if we didn't stop playing that instant?

Seriously, it came across as you just power-trippin' and refusing to respect your attendants.

If the venue is that picky, I'd suggest holding it somewhere else. While it was nice having a room that size (and in a restaurant, no less), we would gladly attend a tournament at someone's house if it meant that we wouldn't have to drop what we're doing to cater to the venue's desires. That and having no food or drink allowed that wasn't an overpriced mediocre Asian dish was extremely lame.

And don't don't DON'T ever touch me and continue to touch me after I said to quit it. No joke, I will knock your *** out if that ever happens again. The first time was whatever. I'm used to people being weird with personal space around me, and can be generally understanding. However, you kept your hands on me after I said to quit it. I let it slide to keep relations good with Denver.

Then I see you doin' it to someone else later, and they tell you to stop, and you don't. To make matters worse, you give us back our doubles entry fee by stuffing it in our shirts. If I wasn't playing a round of teams Melee, I seriously would have just taken the money right out of your hands and distributed it amongst the rest of us appropriately. Learn to respect people's personal space. At least stop trying to cop a feel on our totally sweet hockey bods.

That said, if you can respect my boundaries and be more respectful to your attendants, I'm willing to be civil. Hell, I'll even give you tips on Sonic. I just hate power-trippin', disregard for personal space, and the overly theatrical style that you tried to present everything in. I know it's your first tournament to run, and that I'm being a bit harsh, but these things seriously rubbed me the wrong way, and all contributed to most of Denver not wanting to make the drive back up to GJ again anytime soon. =/

----

This concludes another monster Zeal post. :D!
Will put all the advice to heart and knew I shouldn't of played snake against you guys he was my old main and I felt like giving him a try after watching Yang kick some butt( some of it was mine) with him. Goes to teach me to stay with my main and just get better with him.
I will fix the problems we had and after some tounaments with some bigger turn out than 22 people I will give you guys a ring. Thanks for coming down and sorry about the problems.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, he was a black guy, and losing to him made me have to fight my teammate in doubles in my next round, which I found funny... It was kind of a lame tourney for him. First, he gets destroyed against a campy Pit in a match where he kills himself several times, and then he has to fight the person who beats him on a regular basis... Talk about lame...

I understand the whole "spending the first match to learn your opponent" thing. I've heard and read about doing that a bunch of times. Actually doing it is a lot more difficult, mainly because of me being nervous. I just wasn't thinking logically at the time. I just need to learn to keep my cool so I can focus on stuff like that... Not keeping cool is the bane of anybody playing this game, so I REALLY need to work on it.

And who the heck did Yang use that clashed with the 9? That's messed up...

Will put all the advice to heart and knew I shouldn't of played snake against you guys he was my old main and I felt like giving him a try after watching Yang kick some butt( some of it was mine) with him. Goes to teach me to stay with my main and just get better with him.
I will fix the problems we had and after some tounaments with some bigger turn out than 22 people I will give you guys a ring. Thanks for coming down and sorry about the problems.
hey guy dont get sad i had pretty much a blast cuz im always crazy and **** around people so i dont get that bored. chinese resturant was pretty good too since i didnt have to go anywhere to eat nice choice mang. you and some guys should come up for the saturday tournament or something if you are serious about getting better mirite? we could whoop your **** then you could be like how did they whoop our ****? i think you should check out your banned stage list a bit though thats my only suggestion.

Yeah, he was a black guy, and losing to him made me have to fight my teammate in doubles in my next round, which I found funny... It was kind of a lame tourney for him. First, he gets destroyed against a campy Pit in a match where he kills himself several times, and then he has to fight the person who beats him on a regular basis... Talk about lame...

I understand the whole "spending the first match to learn your opponent" thing. I've heard and read about doing that a bunch of times. Actually doing it is a lot more difficult, mainly because of me being nervous. I just wasn't thinking logically at the time. I just need to learn to keep my cool so I can focus on stuff like that... Not keeping cool is the bane of anybody playing this game, so I REALLY need to work on it.

And who the heck did Yang use that clashed with the 9? That's messed up...
you shoulda told someone that you were gonna play the only person you knew at the tournament in the tournament and they would changed the bracket for you probably. also who the **** are you and where the **** did you come from and why the **** are you posting here and what the **** why dont you just take advice rather than act like you know everything you ****. j/k i dont even know who you are lolss youre probably pretty nice irl lolss and we could be friends lols!!!! unless i already insulted you then no hahahahahahahahhaha

the knee clashed with the nine i think

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
hey guy dont get sad i had pretty much a blast cuz im always crazy and **** around people so i dont get that bored. chinese resturant was pretty good too since i didnt have to go anywhere to eat nice choice mang. you and some guys should come up for the saturday tournament or something if you are serious about getting better mirite? we could whoop your **** then you could be like how did they whoop our ****? i think you should check out your banned stage list a bit though thats my only suggestion.
Don't worry I'm not even close to sad I had a blast. I talked to everyone about that problem as well. We are heading up for Anime Wasabi so expect us there. Though I will probably play Brawl a little bit because I will be cosplaying as Captain Falcon and having a ton of fun.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
I sorta got zaj into this whole thing,

Idk why you weren't already here sooner, going to tourneys is a blast. Once summer starts I'll probably be hanging around a lot more in regard to free time. So as long as you guys can put up with my horribly awesome kindergarden jokes it'll be awesome.

edit: just to correct myself, He's already gone to like 1 tourney before. He's also pretty good with snake. We were in CADD class and he was like, "SWF?" and I was like, "heh, yeah."

M

myemfar

Yeah, that was me. I was the extremely long-haired guy there. I need a haircut :/ I played Ness and was actually surprised how well I did with him. I know nothing special about him and I had to kind of wing it... The only reason we did that team is because we had been messing around with them lately and they made a good team. We originally gonna do a Snake and Pikachu team, but somehow ended up doing Ness and Lucas. Meh, I dunno.

I don't remember who you are specifically though. Were you the guy who wanted to do a Peach ditto with Spelt? And he killed himself in like the first 10 seconds... I remember the name Myem but don't remember who used it. :S
yeah, i was psyched to see another peach, lol.

I'd add more but i can't think of anything, and i have to go to work soon :-p.

Top Bottom