• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming, at F.E. Warren Air Force Base here... .

Please do..OMG I'd love that.. I'm so used to playing with AZ like everyday and now i can't.. lol cuz the scene here is so weak compared...Ummm yeah I can go out to denver anytime on the weekends too...^^ I'd love to play soo much... I want to get better.. lol I can't get too far behind.. I mean axe keeps pulling away lol.. OMG if Denver has a scene.. i'd really love to play... I would love you guys forever ^^
Not only do we have a Melee scene, we have a good one, too.

Are you a Samus player? I really hope so, cuz our scene needs the exp sooooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

But yeah, we can smash any weekend that you wanna.

I'm excited. I'll start gettin' the kinks outta mah characters. :D!

EDIT: Butuhh, hey, if you happen to be stuck in WY for a while

You should try to make them as good as possible

Cuz like... aside from AZ (and maybe NV?)

None of the states nearby are able to keep pace with CO in Melee, and it's kinda lame.

Not that anyone comes to CO for Melee tournaments nowadays. :(

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Finally got my computer working again.

It's been a bad few weeks :/.

I'm playing WoW again - Kaialan - Priest - Proudmoore. Come chat with me sometime.

School sucks :(.
Good to see you're alive. Sorry it's been :(

Come down this weekend, maybe? :)

Ohhay

Isn't that LAN/tournament in the Springs this weekend?

If so, you should come, and Vectorman should come to Denver + carpool with us.

I doubt many of our great Melee players will be there, tho. Just me, maybe Nite?

Then again, he could come to Denver and just meet up with liek... LoVo and them.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Bair, for Brawl or Melee?

I might be up for sumdat Meleez tonight, if I don't end up workin' on sticks wif Tim.

Even if I do, maybe afterward?

heheheheh

A teacher who described my intellect to my grandparents as "A vast expanse of nothingness" just tried to add me on Facebook.

I've been waiting for years to tell him off.

:)

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
omfg

Guys

This is so ****ing great

I'm finally telling off one of the asshats responsible for my misery in HS.

This is like... $400,000 worth of therapy, all in under an hour.

:D :D :D

Light_

Smash Apprentice
Vectorman! You should totally go to the tournament on march 6th with me in Denver. (assuming CO holds one, if not then big smashfest)

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, what is going on with this whole paying people to vote for scar's vid?

real low...seriously.

DeliciousDave

Smash Cadet
i mean for tournaments we dont have much choice, either drive 1 to 2 hours to colorado springs on feb 20th, animeland wasabi.........and april gamefest that isn't even announced yet on coloradocutthroat, and when people host their own tournaments it gets like 10-12 people which is better than nothing i guess

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I am %100 not paying that entrance fee. Sorry guys.

What I propose:

Let's all find a venue and hold something ourselves. Seriously, we need to start doing these ourselves. Let's see...we got...

Underload: He's shown capable of throwing something together. Maybe you can hold more? (preferably not round robin, but your choice)

TC: Though his wasn't great, he seems to have to ability to find venues. Maybe if I worked with you we could make better ones?

Me: Though it always ends in me getting yelled at, I can occasionly (I spelled this word so incorrectly that spell check has zero suggestions) hold smaller smashfest tournies at my house. Still looking for a venue.

Meno: He mentioned something about holding tournaments. Do it?

Bees!

Smash Ace
The tourney on the 20th of Feb will most likely be casual. Probably No Prize. Last time turn out was about 8-10 people. Even though I won I didn't get anything(other than the satisfaction of winning XD) My point is it will be fun. But for those expecting prizes. You most likely will find none. And as for Animeland Wasabi I will be going simply because I like anime and cosplay. And girls who cosplay ^^. So since I already plan on attending it isn't an inconvenience. Odds are though that 90% of the Brawl entrants will be scrubby. I see what Dave means February and March are kind of dry for serious tourneys *sigh.

Underload

Lazy
Haha, I won't do round robin if more people show (aka don't bail the night before). I think you, Dave, tsizzinc, and Dmitri (I think that's it?) all bailed because Dave couldn't go, or something like that. The tough part about that whole fiasco was that I had the maximum number of people for round robin to run well and not drag on forever. One or two more people and I would've run double elimination singles and dubz brackets. Oh wells.

Since I'm on the subject, I'll say that I ****ed up when I didn't make Tony pay venue (he showed up at 3 or something like that, well after I gave EFL the venue money), which made Yang feel a little ripped off, since he had to pay full price. I hadn't started Melee yet, so people could still technically register, but it was after I had compiled all the venue money, so yeah. Made the decision to kind of shaft EFL and give Tony a freebie. I told Yang that I made an exception for Tony since he's in tough times looking for a job, but it still felt like a mistake doing that. That was the only real mistake I made throughout the day, though. At least I think so.

And having venues is absolutely unnecessary. They look nice, but they don't make things any more convenient. They just take more money out of our pockets, which you mentioned in the very first sentence of that post. A bit backwards, but wutevz. I recommend we wait until the Smash house happens, and have biweeklies there.

I would go to Greeley for tournies once in a while, but not too often. ****'s far away. Same idea with Colorado Springs. Alright people, but getting a ride willing to go off of your schedule and not theirs is kind of tough.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Haha, I won't do round robin if more people show (aka don't bail the night before). I think you, Dave, tsizzinc, and Dmitri (I think that's it?) all bailed because Dave couldn't go, or something like that. The tough part about that whole fiasco was that I had the maximum number of people for round robin to run well and not drag on forever. One or two more people and I would've run double elimination singles and dubz brackets. Oh wells.

Since I'm on the subject, I'll say that I ****ed up when I didn't make Tony pay venue (he showed up at 3 or something like that, well after I gave EFL the venue money), which made Yang feel a little ripped off, since he had to pay full price. I hadn't started Melee yet, so people could still technically register, but it was after I had compiled all the venue money, so yeah. Made the decision to kind of shaft EFL and give Tony a freebie. I told Yang that I made an exception for Tony since he's in tough times looking for a job, but it still felt like a mistake doing that. That was the only real mistake I made throughout the day, though. At least I think so.

And having venues is absolutely unnecessary. They look nice, but they don't make things any more convenient. They just take more money out of our pockets, which you mentioned in the very first sentence of that post. A bit backwards, but wutevz. I recommend we wait until the Smash house happens, and have biweeklies there.

I would go to Greeley for tournies once in a while, but not too often. ****'s far away. Same idea with Colorado Springs. Alright people, but getting a ride willing to go off of your schedule and not theirs is kind of tough.
I agree with you almost entirely. except I don't think venues are entirely unnecessary. I will say that the cons far outweigh the pros. However venues are a little less intimidating for new smashers and parents who have teenagers and such. A parent is more likely to let there 14-15 year old kid go to a public venue with many people. Vs a 21 or 22 year olds house with what overworried parents so fallaciously put as (A place with no parental supervision.) I definitely think that venues do bring in new people into the scene(which is always a very good thing.) Who knows. The next n00b that shows up to an event and gets serious at Brawl could wind up being another Ally or ADHD or Zeton.(Kind of exaggerated but you get my point.)

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Starting march and or april me and henry will host bi weeklies if you guys come =D
It will be for both melee and brawl
we will of course focus on the game with the most people
We can hog all of henrys basements (which is empty and has a ton of room) we can also set some tvs outside and have fresh air while playing
We were thinking of making the venue fee of five dollars so the money can go towards making that basement look better and better and of course giving discounts to the cool kids that bring set ups cause if i remember correctly we only have 3 set ups right now and are in need of more

Does this sound like a good idea? I think it's a good way to update ranking quick

Underload

Lazy
@Bees:

I don't know about you, but 12 and 13 year olds littering the scene aren't exactly helpful in my eyes. They're protected by their parents to the point that they'll only go to the occasional tourney near their house, won't be able to travel outside of their area (see: me) or participate actively in endeavors. They'll just be there, and nothing else. Maybe a couple of them have any sort drive and/or experience with the game, but even they will most likely drop it after a month of getting a taste of the problems that arise when trying to compete in the game when young. Myself, Lawkk, and BPM are huge and rare exceptions to the rule. Also, you don't have any experience trying to contribute to the scene when you're 14, you're just theorycrafting stuff that might happen (like most smash-related things that come out of your mouth, oOoOoOoO <3). It's not as easy as "it's at a public venue, mom, it's alright now".

Once someone hits 15 or 16, then they should just talk to their parents about playing, and getting rid of any sort of paranoia. Before then, they're completely dependent and still very naive about how the world outside the neighborhood works, and shouldn't even consider getting into Smash realistically until they can at least get their driver's permit. I was just, y'know, kinda lucky. I trust people too much.

I don't know if people have noticed this, but I'm the absolutely youngest person in this scene (unless BPM's birthdate is lying to me). I'm the absolute lowest edge of the demographic. Most of the scene hits the 18-22 year old demographic. Smash is a colorful game, but that shows what age group is interested in it. We shouldn't be tailoring to the potential young ones, who get allowances from their parents, while the real demographic is struggling to find jobs and pay their way through college.

@Nite:

I'd probably go to that. If you give me a good reason to pay $5 venue.

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
ya so, someone host a fest or sumthin tomorrow night? I actually DONT work tomorrow night caaarazyy... and i've been dying to play some melee brawl bb and all them other good stuffs.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I'll definitely come.

Bees: ADHD, Ally, Zeton? Why throw him in there? He isn't even the best fox lol.

UL: Pretty much all that.
Ah you caught that. My point is (If I remember correctly.) That he isn't one of those veteran Smash Players who have been on the scene for a long time. He came in later during Brawl. Which is what I meant. Who knows what the Scrubs we see shield roll spamming today , are capable of tomorrow? Metaphorically speaking mind you.

Also @ UL. I agree. However you are the exception to the case. What other exception might there be that we don't know about. Can you 100% honestly say you know the potential and parental strictness of every(not 13 and 14 year old.) But of those maybe older. Even then. Those sort of venues like Wasabi help as well. It brings people in who otherwise would never know about getting plugged into such an awesome community. Nor anything about meet-ups at Tim's house.(I didn't even know about Tim until months later when Z introduced me to him at Road to Cutthroat.) I guess also besides the younger people. Also people who are less adventurous. I got interested in playing Brawl competitively after Wasabi last year. It planted that seed of interest in me. Without it I would be very much less inclined to go to someones house I don't know to play smash with a bunch of people I've never met(I would have no way of knowing about these anyways.) I guess venues at best can be a starting place to warm new people to the smash scene. I am not arguing with your overall point. Only that who knows what could happen when a new person shows up to a venue then takes an interest in Brawl? Well for starter it could end up helping to bring a scene to a city that otherwise had maybe one dedicated player(JCVD) Now we have 3 on the PR. Also in my case it helped get me this far.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Oh well henry said he wanted to make it a little cook out thing too
so we will grill you some fud and the next time you show up it will have more seats and tables =D
This money will be going to good use on improving the basement and making it cool for you guys

if you guys don't believe me on that i can just make one of you guys my second in command to see that i ain't just lying to you guys ( Underload seems like the right choice but i dont know where he lives and maybe it's too far for him)
Oh and the venue is in aurora and i'm sure the melee players remember henrys house. It's like 2 minutes away from the old house I lived in that used to be the smash house so it's still in the middle of the melee guys.
And if you guys don't want to pay venue psh just bring a setup :p

Lawkk

Smash Rookie
@underload

I think im like a month younger than you. October 13 1994.

Also Nite's biweeklys would be cool if i aint doing anything and could get a ride.

EDIT: AND COOKING AT THE BIWEEKLY'S O ****. <3 cooking =p

No gross instant **** though

Underload

Lazy
so we will grill you some fud and the next time you show up it will have more seats and tables =D
This money will be going to good use on improving the basement and making it cool for you guys
Oh, alright. That's actually a really good reason to fork up $5. Throw a few rugs down in the basement, buy some chairs and tables, maybe a TV from Goodwill or something.

@underload

I think im like a month younger than you. October 13 1994.

Also Nite's biweeklys would be cool if i aint doing anything and could get a ride.

EDIT: AND COOKING AT THE BIWEEKLY'S O ****. <3 cooking =p
Oh yeah, I forgot you were a freshman, too. That should've been a tell-off. Anyway, yeah, you're younger than me by exactly 2 months.

*now remembering to use new example for young smasher*

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet

if you guys don't believe me on that i can just make one of you guys my second in command to see that i ain't just lying to you guys ( Underload seems like the right choice but i dont know where he lives and maybe it's too far for him)
Oh and the venue is in aurora and i'm sure the melee players remember henrys house. It's like 2 minutes away from the old house I lived in that used to be the smash house so it's still in the middle of the melee guys.
And if you guys don't want to pay venue psh just bring a setup :p

Bi weeklies sound nice, also I live about..5 mins away from you. If of you need help I'm happy to lend a hand. I also have free time about 4 days a week.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's what we want to do =D
But i don't know about a rug >.>
we were thinking about a wood floor since we will have a lot of people walking in and out of the basement when we get some setups outside.
but yeah if we did this would you guys actually show up? If yes we can start arranging stuff now for when the biweeklies start =D
And remember guys this is for both smash games

AND YOU GUYS NEED TO PLAY TMNT SMASH UP!!!
It's soooo tight
it's like playing the smash version of puzzle gem fighters- mini mix

Top Bottom