• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Close this please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
The chaingrab is not banned. It is restricted to 3 consecutive grabs.

I see Xyro missed the bullet on this one. I'm not bashing you, I am trying to reason with your methods of refuting arguments in this topic. I can accept the restriction, but honestly, your means of trying to express it are the exact reason why people are bashing you in the first place. It's pretty obvious 07-08 comments were unnecessary, and you see that tons of posts (including my own, only less bashing and more reasoning) are talking about this point, not the quality of the "restriction."

I'm not against your restriction; I am against your argument habits. That is all.

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
DugFinn, For the record, the Waco tournaments have restrictions on ALL GRABS FOR ALL CHARACTERS to be no more than 5 consecutive, Inescapable grabs. Waco is not bashing you or TGM or Houston or anything so leave our city out of this. Why would you wanna bash Waco in the first place? Most people don't even know where the hell waco is or they think it is pronounced "wacko". If you wanted to bash a city then pick one that most people would be able to recognize.

I am the only person in Waco who probably even knows how to do the IC infinite and even then I cannot do it anymore than %50 on a few characters anyway. The way you posted that made us sound like we are all some Crazy IC fanatics that can chain grab anyone no matter what.
Really, I didn't know that. I'm very sorry to the Waco players and the Waco Smash community for the above statement from me, seriously I am, I didn't mean to sound condescending like that. I fully take it back, so please don't be upset Dr. Mario Kart (or any of the other Waco guys - ya'll are cool, I really do think so). Honestly it wasn't meant to be a direct dis at Waco or it's players, I guess my quickness to judge was based on mis-information Roy R spoke of, my bad, and I apologize.
I'm glad to know that Waco has also restricted the infinite. It seems quite a few places have already been doing this... TGM's just gotten the brunt force of the back lash (although, perhaps based more on how he handled the situation than on his actual restriction, hahaha - Xyro, you simply are too cool for school sometimes, heh).
So, in short, I formally apologize to Waco and it's players for my previous statement. No bad blood between us guys, OK.

Roy_R

Smash Apprentice
lol! a friend tells me about this thread and my name is mentionedas soon as I look at it! hahaaaa :lick: Dugfinn when did I talk about the Waco players? I've never even been there! I don't know anyone from Waco. I think you mean Lubbock :)

TGM did mention the restriction many times, he put it in parenthesis in many posts :)

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
lol! a friend tells me about this thread and my name is mentionedas soon as I look at it! hahaaaa :lick: Dugfinn when did I talk about the Waco players? I've never even been there! I don't know anyone from Waco. I think you mean Lubbock :)

TGM did mention the restriction many times, he put it in parenthesis in many posts :)
Yeah, you're right. That's why I put "mis-information". I meant to say Lubbock, so I apologized to the Waco players. (I seriously don't know why I confused Lubbock and Waco - so sorry.)

And for the record, I have nothing against any Smash player. I like all the Smashers from Waco (especially Dr. Mario Kart 'cause I see him at cons and he's awesome, or the Lubbock players, or their insane IC skillz because if I found out about an awesome move that could gain me victory I'd exploit it too so I can't blame them, or to any of the other smashers out there because ya'll are like family - and even familes argue and have different opinions, but we're a community and we'll all figure this out in the end, and that's what counts.)

Anyways, I got to go do real life stuff now. Ja.

Mr.C

Smash Master
You guys do realize that Xyro has NOT banned the chaingrab completely, right? It's simply been restricted to three grabs - which was done to try and mimic the amount of times that other chain grabers (like DDD at 4 for example) can chain before the opponent can brake free (and even then DDD only does about 35% to most characters, Falco about 48% to most and etc, while IC can infinite everyone).

Unlike other chain grabbers (like Pika and Falco), IC can do this to ALL characters so there is no way to counter-pick "effectively". Like, if Marth is chosen, you'd be a moron to pick Ness/Lucas, but if IC is chosen there is no counter against being grabbed and getting destroyed by it. The "don't get grabbed" is an uneducated response that unrealistic people flock to.

And as for other characters with similar infinites, like DDD, Xyro has already taken out all stages with corners in the tourneys he runs, thus keeping those characters from being able to do that too.

He's not singling out the IC as you guys think he is. He's trying to keep a virtually inescapable 0% to death move from destroying the future of Smash. Here's a video to demonstrate a few things that even an absolute noob with a few weeks of practice could use to take out a generally skilled pro - doing so, with one finely timed move that the opponent would have no choice but to loose a stock from. http://youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4

Now, Xyro77 (TGM), has been running Smash events for 7 years. He's not new at this. He SAW first hand how the tiers of Melee formed. He knows how Smash works. And yes, he does listen to what people say (even if he disregards the info - at least he read it and considered it). For example, in post #3011 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4471520#post4471520 Hylian tells him about IC tripping. He later brings up exactly what Hylian himself told him, on this thread a few pages back, and Overswarm tells him that info is garbage - so basically Overswarm just said that Hylian's info is garbage. Take that into consideration. Not to mention, Hylian has also said that IC chaingrabs are banned in TX. Again -untrue. The correct information is: IC chain grabs are restricted to 3 grabs in most Houston tournaments. Please get YOUR facts straight before you go diss someone.

Anyways, long story short, this IS his tourney - and as such, he can run it however he wants. If you don't like it, don't go. Or host your own. That simple.

If havening an infinite restricted to three grabs is such a big deal and it "destroys the character" then THAT should go to show how broken a move it is by the simple fact that it can "make or brake" a character. If not, then what's the big deal. If you need a 0% to death move in order to win, then that means you suck to begin with and will only win by relying on a move that guarantees you a stock if performed correctly (which with practice will become the norm). Brawl could de-evolve (like Marvel for example) to where who ever pulls there infinite off first basically wins. That's not competitive. That's just sad. You might argue, well it hasn't happened yet - uh, duh, Brawl's only been out for a few months. It's called preemptive action.

Anyways, most players in Houston (Hylian is from Austin) are all perfectly fine with the restriction (except for like two). So, if you don't like it, don't come to Houston. Not hard to do. There are still tourneys in San Antonio and Dallas. And if you want to have a IC infinite CG party go to Waco's tourney - they're great a cheap IC infinites and would love to 0% to death you while you compliment them on their skill at hitting grab over and over.
Read this shiz.

Mr.C

Smash Master
You guys do realize that Xyro has NOT banned the chaingrab completely, right? It's simply been restricted to three grabs - which was done to try and mimic the amount of times that other chain grabers (like DDD at 4 for example) can chain before the opponent can brake free (and even then DDD only does about 35% to most characters, Falco about 48% to most and etc, while IC can infinite everyone).

Unlike other chain grabbers (like Pika and Falco), IC can do this to ALL characters so there is no way to counter-pick "effectively". Like, if Marth is chosen, you'd be a moron to pick Ness/Lucas, but if IC is chosen there is no counter against being grabbed and getting destroyed by it. The "don't get grabbed" is an uneducated response that unrealistic people flock to.

And as for other characters with similar infinites, like DDD, Xyro has already taken out all stages with corners in the tourneys he runs, thus keeping those characters from being able to do that too.

He's not singling out the IC as you guys think he is. He's trying to keep a virtually inescapable 0% to death move from destroying the future of Smash. Here's a video to demonstrate a few things that even an absolute noob with a few weeks of practice could use to take out a generally skilled pro - doing so, with one finely timed move that the opponent would have no choice but to loose a stock from. http://youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4

Now, Xyro77 (TGM), has been running Smash events for 7 years. He's not new at this. He SAW first hand how the tiers of Melee formed. He knows how Smash works. And yes, he does listen to what people say (even if he disregards the info - at least he read it and considered it). For example, in post #3011 http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4471520#post4471520 Hylian tells him about IC tripping. He later brings up exactly what Hylian himself told him, on this thread a few pages back, and Overswarm tells him that info is garbage - so basically Overswarm just said that Hylian's info is garbage. Take that into consideration. Not to mention, Hylian has also said that IC chaingrabs are banned in TX. Again -untrue. The correct information is: IC chain grabs are restricted to 3 grabs in most Houston tournaments. Please get YOUR facts straight before you go diss someone.

Anyways, long story short, this IS his tourney - and as such, he can run it however he wants. If you don't like it, don't go. Or host your own. That simple.

If havening an infinite restricted to three grabs is such a big deal and it "destroys the character" then THAT should go to show how broken a move it is by the simple fact that it can "make or brake" a character. If not, then what's the big deal. If you need a 0% to death move in order to win, then that means you suck to begin with and will only win by relying on a move that guarantees you a stock if performed correctly (which with practice will become the norm). Brawl could de-evolve (like Marvel for example) to where who ever pulls there infinite off first basically wins. That's not competitive. That's just sad. You might argue, well it hasn't happened yet - uh, duh, Brawl's only been out for a few months. It's called preemptive action.

Anyways, most players in Houston (Hylian is from Austin) are all perfectly fine with the restriction (except for like two). So, if you don't like it, don't come to Houston. Not hard to do. There are still tourneys in San Antonio and Dallas. And if you want to have a IC infinite CG party go to Waco's tourney - they're great a cheap IC infinites and would love to 0% to death you while you compliment them on their skill at hitting grab over and over.
Everyone should read this.

Mr.C

Smash Master

That pretty much sums everything up, you should read this.

anar9kis

Smash Rookie
counterpick metaknight, and don't get grabbed.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I'm trying not to get too involved in this because of all the school girl name calling going on, but let me say one thing:

I don't really care either way, but once you ban something it's very hard to unban it and remove the consequences. When something starts becoming a problem, then you ban it knowing that your hypothetical situation has played out. Until you have actual results to back up your ideas, you never know what result you would have gotten by leaving it alone. Try to unban it one day, and all other characters metagames will have evolved beyond what could have been a top tier. Think about it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ICYDp: Xyro has issued a real apology on the IC boards. Please read that before you decide to bash him :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Does it make me angry/sad/mad/ect that you dont know me? Nope. This is not what im here for.

Plz dont use zelda to shiek example. That transformation does NOTHING even slightly close to what IC can do with their ICG. I would expect that comment from an 07- 08 member.

As for me needing to take notes. Thats your opinion. i gave solid reasons why i ban ICG and and u will see it AGAIN below. if you dont think so....then thats your OPINION

And the SBR is afraid of backlash, if you did something the majority of people disliked(even though you guys were right) they would ignore you and do what they want. You know this to be true.
There's a difference between opinion and fact. You're backing what you say up by saying it is opinion... but that's like calling bananas blue and saying it is merely your opinion.

I used the Zelda/Sheik example because it is just as silly as banning the Ice Climbers infinite. I didn't say it was broken; it obviously is not, and I put it there to juxtapose the two.

I still don't understand why you think the SBR is afraid of backlash. What, you think we're a bunch of silver-haired men in a sauna saying "I think we'll make Norfair a neutral; screw what the world thinks"? We come to decisions that will help the tournament scene... nothing more. There's no backlash because our power is all through undercurrents. There's nothing to backlash AGAINST.

Again you fail to READ MY POSTS! I am not saying ICG or wobbling will win tournaments. Im saying how many times has a wobble or ICG beat some on in tourney when the player who was wobbled or ICG could have won the match if it was banned? Dont relate wobbling to a foxs bair to shine, its completely diff and u know that.........07-08 members do that(if they even played melee).
ERRRRR! Wrong! It's not completely different.

IC chain grab is a tactic. True.

IC chain grab is a powerful tactic that can win games. True.

IC chain grab is a powerful tactic that can win games, but does not guarantee a tournament win. True. You have stated this yourself in the above quote.

Powerful tactics that do not guarantee tournament wins are not broken. True.

So, what is your thought process to ban it? Couldn't you say the same thing about other tactics? You know it isn't broken, you know it won't win tournaments, yet you ban it anyway. You are arbitrarily deciding to weaken one character. Why not ban D3's chain grab? It can win games, but not tournaments. It is powerful. What about Falco's? How about DK's over-b to giant punch? That can be pretty strong. All you have to do is over-b them and you can kill them at 80%, so why not ban that?

There's no reasoning behind it. You win by using powerful tactics. You just don't like this particular one, and that is the end of your thought process.

Are you sure you didnt steal an 06 account? Because that was pretty d@mn ******** what u said. I dont need to know you or see any of your matches to know u get grabbed. every one on earth gets grabed. YOU CANNOT PREVENT YOUR SELF FROM GETTING GRABED IN BRAWL. ESPECIALY WHEN MOBILIT HAS BEEN GREATLY REDUCED FROM WHERE IT WAS IN MELEE. I thought you knew that but maybe you didnt take notes in class.
Getting grabbed is a result of improper spacing or mistakes in reaction time. In short, when you are grabbed, it means you ****ed up. That's about it.

Don't make assertions.... people would play differently against the ICs.

Meh.

I'm in Ireland. I'll be back later.

Binx

Smash Master
IC chain grab is a powerful tactic that can win games. True.

IC chain grab is a powerful tactic that can win games, but does not guarantee a tournament win. True. You have stated this yourself in the above quote.

Powerful tactics that do not guarantee tournament wins are not broken. True.

So, what is your thought process to ban it? Couldn't you say the same thing about other tactics? You know it isn't broken, you know it won't win tournaments, yet you ban it anyway. You are arbitrarily deciding to weaken one character. Why not ban D3's chain grab? It can win games, but not tournaments. It is powerful. What about Falco's? How about DK's over-b to giant punch? That can be pretty strong. All you have to do is over-b them and you can kill them at 80%, so why not ban that?

There's no reasoning behind it. You win by using powerful tactics. You just don't like this particular one, and that is the end of your thought process.

Getting grabbed is a result of improper spacing or mistakes in reaction time. In short, when you are grabbed, it means you ****ed up. That's about it.

Don't make assertions.... people would play differently against the ICs.
Now this is the best way to put it, when a TO decides to ban a tactic just because they don't like it, it ruins the game, now I am not dedicated enough to practice brawl, I don't think its a good game, but in melee when ICs had the wobble most good players compared it to a gimp, off the stage vs ICs wasn't a terrble place to be it isn't like being vs Marth or Sheik where you are probably dead no matter what you do, but we didn't ban edge guarding just because noobs complain about it, and we shouldn't be banning the ICG just because noobs want it banned. So M2K knocks you off the edge, you die because your being edge guarded by ****ing M2K, so we ban M2K because it sucks to get gimped at low percents 4 times per game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*yawns*

I can't believe I read through this entire thread... I won't even be going to my first tournament for another two weeks so it's not like I could effectively debate about this matter since most of the people in the thread are A) professionals who have been to dozens of tournaments, B) people who run tournaments and C) MODs. Despite this, I feel like responding.

From what I understand, Xyro77 is banning infinites with the Ice Climbers but still allowing them to do chain grabs that could easily result in KO's at percentages from about 60% and above. Is that a bad trade off? I mean, the Ice Climbers would still have their KO potential especially on stages like Final Destination where a decent player could still manage to use the "Nana spike" on the edges. Like I said, I'm not going to pretend I'm a professional and these are just my thoughts on the matter.

While I'm here, I just want to say to Xyro77 that you really need to work on your debating. In most of your rebuttals, you sound like a bigot and your 07-08 stereotypes are childish at best. The irony of most of your posts is that you come off as a stereotypical Texan and the way you type doesn't help either... What? Someone had to say it; so it might as well be from the biggest "scrub" here. :laugh:

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Ok you know what guys, lets all just bash XYRO

XYRO77 IS A ***GOT I HOPE HE BURNS HIN HELL SCREW YOU XYRO I CAN OWN SCRUBS LIKE YOU YOU SUCK

Nintendude

Smash Hero
omg this is so ludicrous. Snake is dominating tourneys across the country and you ban one of the only things a middle tier has going for them. Everyone thinks grabs are so easy to get, well NO THEY AREN'T. ICs have a terrible grab range. Combine that with their bad traction and slow running speed and you get a character who sucks at getting grabs (shield grabbing never works with ICs against a good opponent). D3 can land grabs so easily because he has good traction and a massive grab range. Stop thinking that because D3 can chaingrab so easily that ICs can too. ICs cgs are leagues harder too.

This isn't in response to anything in particular, and I don't feel like reading 21 pages. It's 2:00 AM and I'm disoriented, and I really should go to bed now.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
While I'm here, I just want to say to Xyro77 that you really need to work on your debating. In most of your rebuttals, you sound like a bigot and your 07-08 stereotypes are childish at best. The irony of most of your posts is that you come off as a stereotypical Texan and the way you type doesn't help either... What? Someone had to say it; so it might as well be from the biggest "scrub" here. :laugh:
you win
someone get this man a trophy

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
So when someone is on YOUR side, and they joined in 2008, it's cool right?
Not that I feel like arguing too much, (considering this thread has sadly degraded into a mindless 'bash Xyro77' thread instead of a 'lets discuss the reasons behind the restriction on the IC infinite at Tournaments that Xyro77 runs at HIS tournaments with HIS rules that none of ya'll non-Texans will ever attend anyways - Oh, wait! It was never that, was it? My mistake - it was a 'bash Xyro77' thread to begin with from the moment the thread was misleadingly titled), but just to let you know, yes, I joined "Smashboards" in 08 - but I've been running tournaments for years now, both in Melee (pre-2008) and now Brawl, to countless other tournaments in 2-D fighters, 3-D fighters, and non-fighters. I'm also a certified host (know who nealt is?) and one of the leaders of the National Video Game Association. I'll be at a NVGA conference in New Mexico next week (if anyone in that area would like to meet me in person to further discuss this, I'm up to it), and later in Aug I'll be in Ohio and Indiana helping run events at the largest gaming convention in the US (again, so you know I'm not hiding behind posts in forums, I'm willing to meet with anyone at any time if you happen to be in the area), or you can just come down to Texas where I travel every other week to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and of course in Houston.

I'm not going to flat our say that all 07-08 Smashboards members are ********, because I don't beleive that they all are. There are those that simply avoided registering early on to keep from having to deal with gay drama (like in this, and so many other threads) - but I will say that the vast majority of them are lacking in the thought processing department, especially when they post things like:
Ok you know what guys, lets all just bash XYRO

XYRO77 IS A ***GOT I HOPE HE BURNS HIN HELL SCREW YOU XYRO I CAN OWN SCRUBS LIKE YOU YOU SUCK
and
lolololololololololololool
Thank you 08s for rendering the forums into nothing more than a glorified AIM thread and proving Xyro77's case for him. Thank you for being a shining example of why so many pre-07 Smashers put down post-07s and for making all of us other 08 members look like we're still in middle school (probably like you). And I apologize to the non-******** 07-08 Smashers for having to deal with this reputation thanks to them.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
You obviously dont now what a sterotypical texan is. but no matter what, my state is bigger than yours, WAHAHAHAHHAHHA.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
How to get rid of a stereotype by -many 2008 smashboarders

Step 1) ***** and moan about it for 20+ pages
Step 2) Live it out in your full glory and to the very extent of your stupidity.

If you don't like it then don't attend the tourney or find/host your own. Big ****ing deal.

CyanCyde

Smash Cadet
DugFinn said:
(considering this thread has sadly degraded into a mindless 'bash Xyro77' thread instead of a 'lets discuss the reasons behind the restriction on the IC infinite at Tournaments that Xyro77 runs at HIS tournaments with HIS rules that none of ya'll non-Texans will ever attend anyways -
I replied to your first post in this thread in a completely respectful manner, with the intention of having a reasonably intelligent, respectful discussion about this with somebody who disagrees with me; you completely ignored my post. GJ! :rolleyes:

W1ld Card

Smash Rookie
Wow!!!
You know none of you reasons make sense to me . I understand your point when you say your trying to ban something that you cant get out of that can make a lesser player lose to a better player . But an infinate it almost any game is never banned . In mvc2 magneto infinates win games and can do a lot more then what ic's can but no one ever banned him because players found ways to still win that or pick up magneto also . in ggac there are very strong loops that are not banned ., oh and did i mention if you dont have a burst there no escaping ? Yes while it may be frusterating to be caught in an infinate its a strategy specific to the character . Im sorry but if your a top tourny winner but you keep losing to a "lesser" IC player then maybe your not as good as you think . lol i guess you should play IC and counter the CG then or something . It seems that you might have some personal grudge on CG from IC and maybe it just frusterates you . but thats a weak reason to ban something .
oh and I live in dallas texas were wobbles currently lives and he plays MK not IC and I think its for a reason .
Grabs are to me a lot tougher to achieve in brawl then melee for example in melee a character wiffs a move you can wave dash in and grab , you dont have that option in brawl . I can go on and on but , i Dont know you seem very ignorant on the matter and dont seem to want to change your mind soo.... what ever .

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Lol @ Xyro I have more posts than he does, yet he calls other members scrubs wow, what a noob.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Wow, for once living in California doesn't suck balls.

Way to fail Xyro, if almsot everybody and their mother are telling you that you ARE WRONG then why do this? For lulz, are you pissed off at the world, do you suck against the Icies, are you on meth? Help me, help you.

TVTMaster

Smash Apprentice
Xyro said:
Its about IC beating people who are clearly better than they are due to ICG.
Please don't ignore my post here-- I want to see you try to counter this. And again, don't throw out that *censored* about '07-'08 members. Just counter the arguments, and then tell me how I'm stupid because I didn't join this forum earlier.

Um, what? If someone is beating the other person because they learned a difficult-to-master technique, how is the other person "clearly better" than the first person? It's nigh-impossible for IC to land a grab anyway against anyone who's good. It's like saying "All Ike or Ganondorf needs is one fully charged Fmash!" or "All MK needs to do is learn to Dair edgeguard!".

If someone took the time to master a difficult technique in order to make a crappy character competetive, then they should be rewarded for it. Even the best ICs can't land a grab every stock. It's like the way someone who learns the best tricks with Metaknight or Snake can still beat them, because amazingly, somebody good will be able to... GASP! Avoid the grab! It's like banning Ike and GD because they can kill you way too easy if they can set up their charged Fsmashes.

If you're mad at the ICs because their chaingrab is game-breaking, then... wait. Didn't you say you had never lost to the ICs? How is that, if their chaingrab is so unbeatable? You yourself have admitted that you can beat the ICs easily even with the chaingrab. And if someobody else can't, then it's evidence that that somebody else just isn't as good as the IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom