• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cliché Thread: Best Film I've Ever Seen

Lovage

Smash Hero
i just remembered blade runner is a ****ing good movie

imma download it cuz i'm too lazy to find my DVD

debaser

Smash Lord
A local theater here in Eugene showed Blade Runner on a big screen for a couple of nights. it was ****ing magnificent.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
skyler is a straight up ***** in season 2/3

HugS™

Smash Lord
I never liked blade runner.

I need to rewatch it, cuz I detested that movie. So there must be something wrong with me. I'll try again.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I dunno if it's just me, but I think Pulp Fiction is the best movie I've ever seen.

Course, I don't watch a lot of movies, but it is overwhelmingly amazing.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Pulp Fiction sorta has a Pink Floyd syndrome going for itself.

By that I mean its popularity is being boomeranged because of its meme's and cult value. Like a lot of kids in high school go around wearing Pink Floyd **** but have they actually listened to the band in the way it was meant to be listened to and not 128kbps transcodes out of their crap ipod earphones? Most likely not.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
how was it meant to be listened to?

and drawing frmo that parallel, how is pulp fiction meant to be viewed?

fwiw i still havent got into pink floyd but try i must!

Jun.

Smash Lord
I believe both Floyd and PF shouldn't be listened to/ viewed on a superficial level is what I'm getting at. The themes of both are very complex and frankly I don't really understand what Pulp Fiction is really trying to get at. The themes and musical arrangement of Floyd should be carefully scrutinized while listening through a medium that can show everything and just jumping on its bandwagon is disrespectful to the band and their efforts to create their music.

In parallel to the movie, i guess it would be equal to someone watching the film and just laughing about its scenes and dialogue without trying to understand the underlying message (if there is one)

SuperRad

Smash Master
how was it meant to be listened to?

and drawing frmo that parallel, how is pulp fiction meant to be viewed?

fwiw i still havent got into pink floyd but try i must!
try stuff that isn't dark side of the moon/the wall
i don't even have either on my computer
i just have wish you were here/animals/piper at the gates of dawn. three pretty different albums, but they are all pretty amazing. i know sheridan will back me on animals, maybe give that one a shot.

pulp fiction isn't that deep of a movie in my opinion
which is partially why it's great (and why it's so popular)

Adam M!

Smash Lord
I believe both Floyd and PF shouldn't be listened to/ viewed on a superficial level is what I'm getting at. The themes of both are very complex and frankly I don't really understand what Pulp Fiction is really trying to get at.
your views are not law. i have never viewed pulp fiction in much more than a superficial level and i have loved it every time i've seen it. that's like me saying if you haven't listened to an album 100 times you don't deserve to have an opinion on it because you haven't let it soaked in. no, what works for me is not what works for everyone. the beautiful thing about great art is that everyone can take it for what it is.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I ask in all seriousness

what value does the film have if there is no depth? What separates it from a Tom Green movie?

pockyD

Smash Legend
your views are not law. i have never viewed pulp fiction in much more than a superficial level and i have loved it every time i've seen it. that's like me saying if you haven't listened to an album 100 times you don't deserve to have an opinion on it because you haven't let it soaked in. no, what works for me is not what works for everyone. the beautiful thing about great art is that everyone can take it for what it is.
it feels like you said a lot but really said nothing at all

Kira-

Smash Champion
it feels like you said a lot but really said nothing at all
Even if that's true I kinda have the same opinion. I hate how great art can only be appreciated by the smarmy critics of their field. That's great that you deciphered every intended layer and every unintended allusion and all that and it's impressive, but that doesn't mean everyone else has no right to appreciate the piece.

I mean if Jun doesn't even understand what Pulp Fiction is about himself how can he say that other people can't appreciate it?

pockyD

Smash Legend
that may be, but the idea that "everybody is entitled to their own opinion" and the potential subtext (maybe i'm reading too much into it?) that "there's no real right or wrong way to interpret things" seems to run contrary to everything that i thought P would stand for

regardless, every single post in this thread and the music thread that aren't actual suggestions are all about people pushing their individual interpretations

sure everyone's entitled to their own take, but they're also entitled to present their perspective

SuperRad

Smash Master
I ask in all seriousness

what value does the film have if there is no depth? What separates it from a Tom Green movie?
entertainment?
pulp fiction is amazing because it is entertaining as ****. i mean, it's non-linear narrative and intertwining story threads are awesome, but that would all be for naught if it wasn't entertaining.

pulp fiction is a smart movie. but it's doesn't really deal with deep issues of morality or other 'heavy' themes. that's part of why, at least in my opinion, it's been considered such a masterpiece and it's been so influential. it traded issues of right and wrong for snappy dialog and violence.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I don't think non-linear narrative makes a movie deep.

[I did forget to mention one of the great things about Pulp Fiction: it's unpredictable. A lot of moments in the film raised "OH ****" reactions from me the first time through (maybe not vocally, but mentally at least). No character is safe from harm [depending on if you believe Jules or not, I guess] and nothing is done easily.

Clerks is good, but the more I think about it the less I tend to like it. Until I watch it again, where I renew my enjoyment of it.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
The 3 main things I noticed about Pulp Fiction that I liked the most (that nobody ever seems to mention):

#1. Every character is a bad guy, even the protagonists. The movie does such a great job of capturing the personalities and vulnerabilities of the characters that you find yourself rooting them, even though the majority of them are the last people you would ever want to be around.

#2. While the movie being non-linear plays a part in this, I think most of it is just great storytelling and character development. This movie has no climax, but it has no low points. The entire movie is the climax, and the character development doesn't stop till the credits roll. You're completely interested in what is going on, whether it's Samuel L. Jackson being bad *** or a "boring" conversation about milkshakes, you're going to be extremely entertained and the last thing you will be is bored.

#3. It's one of the funniest movies ever made. Was I the only one who was laughing throughout the entire duration?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
you know, i don't think i've ever heard anyone mention any of those things ever!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Quinton sucks, he's all shock no substance. The Cohen Brothers do what he wishes he could, shock with value and meaning.

This thread needs more Let The Right One In.

SuperRad

Smash Master
quinton
cohen
lolll

plus, it's not like the coen brothers and QT are making the same kind of movies, really. the coen brothers movies are usually absurd, 'offbeat' comedies or more noir style crime stories (all their movies deal with crime, pretty much). QT generally makes movies that are styled after movies from the 60s/70s he likes. his motivation seems to be "hey i like this movie and this movie, i'm gonna make a movie that is in the same style".

(also, anyone that says QT is no substance/all shock after seeing Inglourious Basterds can eat a ****!)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
That movie is still no substance. Its flashy bull **** with nothing backing it. There is nothing good about him unless your an artistic frat boy. He's an awful B rate director whose thought process for making a movie goes no father than "wouldn't it be cool if". He puts unneeded gore, unneeded cussing, and unneeded moments into his movies. Kill Bill is the perfect example of this because its so over run with excess and stupidity that it boggles my mind how any one can even finish the film, or how no one stopped Quinton to ask what the **** he was doing. Each of his films are the equivlant of Star Wars: Episode I, an uninteresting, unthought through, over covered pile of ****.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I thought reservoir dogs was great actually.

has a central theme, a pretty shocking twist, and a great finale.

pockyD

Smash Legend
That movie is still no substance. Its flashy bull **** with nothing backing it. There is nothing good about him unless your an artistic frat boy. He's an awful B rate director whose thought process for making a movie goes no father than "wouldn't it be cool if". He puts unneeded gore, unneeded cussing, and unneeded moments into his movies. Kill Bill is the perfect example of this because its so over run with excess and stupidity that it boggles my mind how any one can even finish the film, or how no one stopped Quinton to ask what the **** he was doing. Each of his films are the equivlant of Star Wars: Episode I, an uninteresting, unthought through, over covered pile of ****.
i'm really confused as to what you think you mean by "substance"

Top Bottom