• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

DreamHack619

Smash Ace
The weekly was off the chain!!! I had a hell of a good time..... Doubles were pretty sick! I've just been in a major slump when it comes to singles though! Gotta practice some more..... The Melee side tourney was pretty sick too! GOOD **** to everyone and see you guys next week!!!! :)

@ Skyler: Don't give up dude! Everyone on the previous posts were right..... You just have to practice your little PK heart out!!! It takes longer than others, but you can't just give up! If you do then all the work you put into it before was just a waste..... Just keep on practicing and you'll get there! <3

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I hate losing too, but I think that's the only reason I haven't given up yet haha. I get discouraged easily, but that's second to how badly I want to beat people.

I'm still not any good, but my stubbornness forces me to keep trying. :psycho:

Hall

Smash Ace
Diligence. I'm not the person to use anger and frustration to fuel my fire. For me its something else. It's all about the attitude you take with you.

And Havok, when you said REAL Street Fighter for a few wild seconds I thought I was gonna learn how to somersault :(

D

Deleted member

I will beat you one day hall >:D
Btw did i ever get my controller back from you XD. I always forget.

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
Havok (or anyone), do you know where to get cheap XBOX 360 arcade sticks? My friend really wants to get into Street Fighter 4 (and main Chun-Li, no less :) ) and wants an arcade stick for under 100$
I just finished building mine -- came through at $45 parts, +box ($5), +controller (used Madkatz one, like $20) + some misc. **** I didn't really need. And I got Sanwa parts and everything, so it feels awesome and works great. I dunno if I have the time to go through the process of making one for someone, but if they wanted to do the heavy lifting (getting the stuff), I could do the controller hack and drill a box for them for like, $15-20 convenience charge. After this academic quarter ends, of course. That'd be somewhere in the $90 price range, probably.

And as for the RTSD thing -- if you guys plan on going to one, let me know, that **** sounds awesome and I'd love to l2p from the pros. Shoot me a PM if you guys decide on a date to do it.

--UnderWing

LittLeLives

Smash Apprentice
@PKSkyler
Hope you still plan on attending every now and then. It was cool to finally meet ya.
If you do take a break from competitive Brawl, I hope you're still up for Smash 64. I challenge your #5 PR spot. :D

@Kirby
Thanks again for bringing in a PS2 and Arcana Heart. Then letting me switch it for CvS2 and then switching your TV around. May your forgotten items get back to you safely.

@SFIV Players
I wanna go RTSD as well. Sounds hot.

@CorruptedMind
Sent ya a PM. Can't wait to start learning how to space and setup in tennis. Know of any unique or tricky low-tier brand of rackets I can use?

Corrupted Mind

Smash Cadet
I believe I have an old racquet that you can have if i see you (if i can ever find time to fill out college scholarships so i can go to these things)...but if you cant wait ebays usually pretty solid. And as far as spacing and everything else that just comes with practice.

D

Deleted member

Oats should be a high school massage therapist.
You'd be good at it :p

omfgmenewb

Smash Apprentice
i know, oats gives me them shoulder rubs and touches me.
he is just transferring his energy to you so you can go super saiyan.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
@PKSkyler
Hope you still plan on attending every now and then. It was cool to finally meet ya.
If you do take a break from competitive Brawl, I hope you're still up for Smash 64. I challenge your #5 PR spot. :D
Im def up for some smash 64 sometimes and ill try to go to some tourneys every now and then. it was good meating you too, and I have no idea why im ranked on the PRs, i learned the game just yesterday xD

You do know that's not because I want you to do well in tournaments... right? C'mon... it's me.
Im scared. NOW I get why you use Lucas D:

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
LOL, and that typo just went so well with Oats' post.

I read your post, Underwing, but in total my friend would only be making a 10$ differnce :/

Pheonix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrostboltPhoenix
Great PKSkyler already did the whole "Im done with tourneys" thing right before i did... oh well i suppose.

/startrant

Yesterday and today made me realize that im not gaining absolutely anything from attending these weeklies/quiznos. I mean im losing out on so many things such as money (its not like i have a job like you guys), parent's trust, self-esteem, and just pretty much anything. I also get the vibe that none of you guys even like me at all except for maybe Mario and Havok but thats it. Im just some random kid that wastes his birthday/christmas money at some tournament where everyone doesnt like him or just think hes weird or i just waste my time and money.

Im not gonna lie though, i know Bone absolutely hates me now because i told CPU about the things you said. I wasnt trying to start ****, just letting a friend know about what some people think of him.

I get a bad vibe from Oats and Awex almost all the time, i think the guys are cool and i dont have a problem with them but i just always get a bad vibe and the unwanted feeling. I joined the SD blog because i wanted to get more recognized but when Oats assigned me as the editor and i wasnt gonna be writing any articles, it got me really down and i just said screw it.

And lets not forget my ****ed up speech and my inability to beat certain people (not gonna list names) but yet take atleast a game off people such as DSF, Hall, Tyrant, MogX, and Fiction.

So yeah, im done. I'll probably still play online tourneys though because of sheer boredom though.

/endrant

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
I read your post, Underwing, but in total my friend would only be making a 10$ differnce :/
'K, if your friend knows how to solder they wouldn't need my help, and other types of buttons are available. That estimated cost really depends on what parts they want to use... cheap parts + a used 360 controller could bring costs down to as low as $50. Was just throwing it out there.

--UnderWing

Awex

Smash Lord
Phoenix, sorry if I give you a bad vibe. I don't mean it, cause I don't hate you or anything. We're not exactly close or anything, so I don't know what I did that could come off wrong to you. I walked away kind of fast after our match, but that's just what comes to my mind.

As for the CPU thing.. I personally didn't say anything in the car I wouldn't say to his face. And I don't think most of the other comments about him were said in confidence either. (Maybe just Nyjin's jokes cause he's a **** like that, lol.) And I can get cluing your friend in on things. But from what I can gather, you tattled individually on all of us, which while not that great of an offense on that occasion, is obviously going to change how people see you.

I still like you dude, and would hate to see you quit over anything like that. If you feel like quitting cause it's not worth the time or money for you, well I guess that's the thing to do right now. (Skyler, gursalug...) As I told Skyler, improving is the BEST part of playing smash.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
/startrant

/endrant
I was the first one to even extend an open arm out to you the first day you attended a Chula Vista Weekly. I was the first one to invite you to Denny's immediately after CVXX. I offered you an opportunity to be a part of the blog; you said you had never done any formal writing so I thought giving you an easy job you could work your way up from would be sufficient (Right now, you're in the same boat as Nyjin in terms of the blog. You never asked to do something else.) I was going to give you a Wiimote to replace the one you lost, but you never reminded me, and now I don't think I will.

Do you even remember the first thing you said to anyone at a CV tourney? It wasn't "Hi" or "Hello" it was, "How does it feel to get 2-Stocked by a Sonic?" to ****ing Hall. Hall is the nicest person (aside from Havok) that you will ever meet and you decided to leave that impression on him. Not to mention you made the rest of CV late when we called to see where you were at on our trip to Quizno's and you hadn't even woken up. Gursalug and Underwing both graciously brought something for everyone despite them being late to picked them up. You get upset when we rightfully get upset. See the similarities?

Bone is the meanest person you'll ever meet and he decided to be nice to you and be cool with you until you told CPU what "we had said" on the car trip back. Were you not paying attention to what we were talking about? We were talking about his power rankings decisions and jokingly talking about San Diego seceding from SoCal (impossible) which you were all for if I remember correctly. And when we tell you that these are just bull**** things tossing around and that you shouldn't go telling people this stuff seriously ("I know you guys are A2 butt-buddies...") you go and do this not even 12 hours later.

A community is built on trust. I can trust for Dreamhack, Mariololxd, or even IceDX to have my back in any situation and they **** know well I'll be there to support them (unless Dreamhack fails reading comprehension again, or Mario makes another over 9000 joke or IceDX decides to let his girlfriend not let him come to smash). I used to be able to say the same for you. Despite your faults, or my faults, or anyone elses (every. single. person. in. our. community. has. faults.) Your general bad attitude just didn't help the situation.

And to not end on a bad note I'll list everyone's (acceptable) faults as according to me:

Hall - Mullet (See: Stubborn)
Havok - Overly Nice (There is such a thing)
Burntsockz - Weird.
Awex - Kills Jokes
SaltyKracka - Bathroom Occupancy.
MogX - Overly-Long-Winded Stories
Oats - Creepy *******
Bone - Elitist
TKD - Pretentious Emo-Guy
Soid - Lazy
PKSkyler - Green Hair w/o Blue Streaks (See: Life-stories)
Samuelson - Emotionless
Nyjin - Cocky and Immature
Underwing - Should Either Take Game More Seriously or Less Seriously (Depends)
Phear - ... I don't have anything bad to say about this person.
Kyubi - Eavesdropper
Jagg - Should stop doing Bomberman 64 speed-runs
Fierce - ...I don't have anything bad to say about this person.
Nog - Does Not Learn
Gursalug - Too Vulgar
Selendrile - Identity Crisis
Nicktendo - Shy
EZKL - Does Not Play
Somiyah - Her Funny Laugh
IzzyPop - Horrible Trash Talk
Falln - Does Not Know When to Stop
A.C. - Is Not Social
Gibby - ...I don't have anything bad to say about this person.
RioTijuana - ...Learn Match-ups?
Those Kids That Came to CV20 and are responsible for stealing Havok's **** - ****-ups.
Pheonix - Ungrateful

See how big our community is? We talk about each other and we recognize each other for who we are, and we're cool with that. And I'm sure I'm missing a few people here and there.

Listen, Pheonix, you may have your life problems, get those settled, but with us, if you're cool and you just want to play (SF4, Melee, Brawl, 64) and it doesn't have to be in tournament, that's fine. But yeah, it's going to take a while to earn my trust back (I rarely give it out as is.)

-----

Sorry for everyone having to read that but the record had to be set straight.

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
improving is the BEST part of playing smash.
QFT, although at the same time I get where people are coming with the lack of improvement -- after a while, it feels like you've stalled in your development. I certainly feel like I'm never gonna get better to the point that I can compete with some of our best, but learning new stuff and hanging with cool people is the real reason I play -- I just don't see myself catching up. I hope I didn't contribute to any bad vibe you were feeling.

--UnderWing
EDIT:
Underwing - Should Either Take Game More Seriously or Less Seriously (Depends)
**** Oats, that sums me up nicely. Good ****.

D

Deleted member

**** im wierd. Welp back to the drawing board :/
While all the low tiers are quitting
/quits.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Cocky and immature? Meh, I can't deny that. I'm a cocky little kid ;) Although I'm more mature than you may think, Oats, when it's necessary.

On a side note: Reminder! Send your AIMS/E-mails to me through my aim (Wilddodo87) or my e-mail (wilddodo@yahoo.com) if you want your profiles done!

EDIT: Oh, and Phear's acceptable fault? He needs to play brawl more! Darn SFIV/Tatsunoko/WoW using up his time!

DreamHack619

Smash Ace
@ Pheonix: Your a kool dude and I would hate to see you leave like that on that type of note. I don't know what really went down with the whole CPU thing and its not my place to get into that so im not going to. But like I told Skyler you can't just give up cause your not seeing results. It takes practice, but if your leaving for your other reasons then I wish you the best of luck Bro.....

@ Oats: I gots your back! <3

Edit: Nyjin, you are one Cocky Son Of A *****! LOL! :chuckle:

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
I love you guys. Sometimes this board makes me feel like I'm still in high school and not 24 :)

Phoenix, I think you can turn your whole dilemma into Pop Punk's next multiplatnium hit! Kidding, dude. Horse Feed makes valid points, my man. You did snitch. People get capped for that. Fortunately, I'm sure none of us nerds are proficient with firearms (side from TJ). It's alright, though. You're still a kid and learning things about life. I'm sure this'll be a lesson for you. Nobody is perfect. Don't run from your problems, dude. Fix them and get back on people's good side.

On another note, Horse Feed makes even more valid points about my language. I've always had an issue with my language (Selendrile can tell you stories for days) ever since I was a kid. Once I warmed up to you guys, I became less shy. I tend to not have a filter from my brain to my mouth and don't think about what I say. There are plenty of kids at Smash, religious people I'm sure, and people who just take offense. I'll do my best to tone it down. :(

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Oats you have written one of the best posts in a while, even though Pheonix is a nice guy from everytime I have hung out with and met him, and I dont know the whole story (even though i get the gist of it now) and I love everything you said about the community.

man i really dont want to quit smash that much anymore. I love you guys too much. no homo
well maybe a little...

D

Deleted member

Im pretty sure all oats did was say why hes mad at pheonix and say bad stuff about everyone except phear and fierce.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Which is why its awesome. Your just hating on a hater, sockz. Or maybe I just like long posts and like dreamhack dont really understand what they mean.

'K, if your friend knows how to solder they wouldn't need my help, and other types of buttons are available. That estimated cost really depends on what parts they want to use... cheap parts + a used 360 controller could bring costs down to as low as $50. Was just throwing it out there.

--UnderWing
sorry underwing didnt mean to come off rude, im very grateful your willing to even do this....but yeah my friend and i are both ****ing mentally retarted when it comes to manual labor unless we have directions and/or a supervisor yelling at us.

Awex

Smash Lord
Ahhh I <3 Oats.

Gursalug: Watching your mouth at the tournament is a good practice for all smashers. But when we're all hanging out in front of Quizno's and messing with Phear again, please don't hold back. That **** had me in stitches. I <3 Gursalug too.

I <3 SD.

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
It's called SD love right???

MogX's story telling is awesome, and that 9000 thing was a one time thing.
Anyways it would definitely suck to see two players leave our little community in a day. I'm not writing an essay on the spot telling both of you to stay or go (primarily because I'm too lazy) but what both of you decide to do is up to your own judgement. Sky you are not as bad as you think you are. We went even in pools against an all norcal pool in WGF doubles. Phoenix you are way too hard on yourself. You made bad choices in communication and that came back to get you in this situation. Don't let other people's opinions and your percerptions of their thoughts get to you.
That is all.

EDIT:
Oats I forgot to mention this yesterday (I'm liking SFIV a lot) but I would like to provide some services to the SD blog. IDK if you need/would like another staff member.

D

Deleted member

I just got out of my slump, i think playing through it is the best thing. Just play to learn not to win, you dont have to enter just play friendlies and try to see what you are doing wrong.

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
I actually did a personal best at WGF, but ever since then its been going downhill.
Dude, I'm the king of inconsistency in my play. I'd say you're in a rut at the very most -- and being in that place mentally can sabotage your play further. You're not *getting* worse, you're just not performing up to the standards you've set for yourself. Give it time, experiment with different characters, and see if you can get yourself out of the rut -- maybe you'll have a good day, and suddenly you won't be feeling this way anymore. That's kinda what happened @ Quizno's with me -- I was playing like **** at the beginning of the day (lost some money because of it), and I got knocked into L when I thought I shoulda annihilated the person I played. I chose Sheik on the first round of my next set, and got my *** kicked. It wasn't until I got ROB in round 2 that I started playing a decent game, and I came back to take the set. Screw around and try to have fun with it, even if you aren't winning, and you might change your mindset... and remember why you got into Brawl to begin with. And if nothing else, you can trust Oats to say something ridiculous and raise your spirits.

--UnderWing

Top Bottom