• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
kirby: Awesome. I wanna try Arcana Heart.
Soid: Do it! I've been meaning to learn Melee for some time now.

While we're at it, anyone up for some CvS2 or 3rd Strike?
or Smash Bros 64 or Tetris or Planet Puzzle League or Starcraft or DotA or Megaman Speedruns? j/p mogX would kill me

By the way, anyone know of any amateur tennis league in San Diego? I've become real interested and decided that I want to get seriously active again.
I can play very well any of the games listed above, but for the puzzle you better play those with Oats, hes a beast in those ones.
I suck at Puzzle games, but sure we can play all that, if you want.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
does anyone need me to bring my wii?

Im down for a group pic lol.

If anyone lives by mesa college or passes through there to get to Havok`z, can we set up a ride thing? I can get a ride tommorow, but I cant keep coming if my dad has to take me everytime....

EDIT: Oh yeah, I need a doubles partner. Sockz or somebody, im looking at you :D

D

Deleted member

Im on teh school tennis team and im pretty good.
We should totally enter some random all age tennis league LOL.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
^^ OK then I'll bring my Wii, Havok. Ill probably be there at like exactly 11, lol. I hope your cool with that. I really need practice.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff, guys. I was thoroughly disgusted with myself for the way I played today...but I made up for it with Street Fighter 4. It's probably because I've done nothing but play that game since it came out. Zangief should be in Brawl exclusively for me, ****it!!

Corrupted Mind

Smash Cadet
kirby: Awesome. I wanna try Arcana Heart.
Soid: Do it! I've been meaning to learn Melee for some time now.

While we're at it, anyone up for some CvS2 or 3rd Strike?
or Smash Bros 64 or Tetris or Planet Puzzle League or Starcraft or DotA or Megaman Speedruns? j/p mogX would kill me

By the way, anyone know of any amateur tennis league in San Diego? I've become real interested and decided that I want to get seriously active again.
PM me and i can give you some info if you want, i actually play tennis at a pretty high level and can help you out if you want.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Im quitting brawl. I just cant get results, and taking a break and switiching my main hasnt helped. I;; probably stop by still for smashfests and such, but im no longer playing brawl on a competitive level and I wont attend any more tournaments......

Fun stuff today, though. Ill still come to weeklys just i wont play in tourney lol. its a waste of money if all I do is lose.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
:[

Skyler.

And in reference to Oats comment...how about...

Can everybody who wishes to have a player profile private message me or e-mail me their AIMs? This way I can get to working (Finally!) on these profiles. My email is wilddodo@yahoo.com and my aim is wilddodo87

$BONE$

Smash Ace
Im quitting brawl. I just cant get results, and taking a break and switiching my main hasnt helped. I;; probably stop by still for smashfests and such, but im no longer playing brawl on a competitive level and I wont attend any more tournaments......

Fun stuff today, though. Ill still come to weeklys just i wont play in tourney lol. its a waste of money if all I do is lose.

Dont feel bad about it. Thats how I felt before I learned how to camp. Camping is everything in this game. Its actually fun now that I figured it out. Pick someone who can camp and never approach. Right Nyjin? :D

To the post above, there were about 25? 30? today.

Awex

Smash Lord
37 entrants in singles I believe.

Skyler, you don't need to quit. Waste of money is a poor excuse. I have so much fun hanging out with everyone and any player can beat any other player. Keep playing and you'll find improving as a player to be the best part of playing Smash.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
lol 37 entrants with like a third of the SoCal power rankers

fun today.

Especially the side tourneys.

Skyler: Don't do it.

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
Skyler, I know how you feel. I'm perpetually in the 17th-9th bracket (on a good day)... only broken top 8, like, once (and that's when there were something like 15 entrants lol). Don't do it, man -- the people alone are worth it. If you're not having fun with your character, change it up... if you're not having fun *because* you're losing (which I get), take a break from tournaments. Hell, I'm low on money lately so the next few weeklies I won't even be buying into the pots most likely. Hell, looks like there's gonna be a fair amount of TvC and SFIV -- try some of that stuff out. You'll be missed if you just drop out, for sure.

--UnderWing

Side note: Play Toon Link. We need more Toon Links. You may not win, but he's fun as hell to play! :D

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Ok kool but outside of scsa I dont see any of those threads in the pacific west forums. Are they active like every weekend? could you direct me to the threads good sir?

by the way thank you.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Funny that he'd say "good sir" to Havok.

WhiteOblv, I'm not sure how comfortable you are with using allisbrawl.com but you'd most likely have better results there. Not telling you to join it, but that's how I get all my tourney info.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Fine, ill still come check out the tourneys, but im not going to participate, at least for a little.but I guess I have to play campy now. I camped with Ness all tourney, but i guess hes just not good enough.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
We're not breaking your leg to attend tournies or hang out. We're encouraging you to do what you think is fun. All we're doing is offering different methods of maybe finding this fun.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Soid you have until 5pm today to fix the image, it's killlling the borders on the page. I will fix it for you if not done by then =)

Skyler - Ness cannot camp that well. You can play defensive, but he doesn't have the options to camp most characters. The cool thing is that you can camp pit, once you are in the lead jump back and down b a bunch, keep doing this until he's aggressive, haha it's fun.

JaggerG

Smash Apprentice
Fine, ill still come check out the tourneys, but im not going to participate, at least for a little.but I guess I have to play campy now. I camped with Ness all tourney, but i guess hes just not good enough.
Yeah dude I'm far too inconsistent to keep entering tournaments and I can't really afford to. I got triple-stocked by a couple people in the tournament from utterly failing to properly time my recovery, then I actually started adapting to my opponents after the tournament. :^/ I'm still up for playing, I'm just not at the competitive level and can't yet afford to lose regularly.

I'm gonna get Fern to come over one of these days, though. He's a pretty good Toon Link. For some reason he has trouble against my Pikachu, though, but he beats my main pretty consistently. I'm glad to have seen such variety at the tournament, though. It's really strange to do much better against some people using my secondaries, though others have a MUCH easier fight against them. I'm not really surprised Skyler slaughtered my Ness, though. :^P

EDIT: Holy crap I need to ease up on "though." >_<

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I have fun hanging out with you guys. i just dont have fun losing. Im not good enough, and ive come to accept it. I tried Snake as well and I just dont win,and camping all day isnt really that fun even when I do win, of course I still lose to better players and better campers. :/

Edress, the way I camped was at delfino, simply hopping up and pk thunder then falling back in the water. It actually works well. Also you can kinda camp vs Falco too lol.

But yea im pretty much quitting....its just not that fun any more.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Skyler look, take me by example:

When i met Hall (found out he lived next to me):

I had several characters - Snake,Falco, Marth and Wolf.

Hall kept owning everything except for my Marth which could stand a chance against his snake, so i decided to stick with marth exclusively. I learned all the hard matchups, kinda learned the weird ones then lost to all the obscure ones. I did relatively well and maybe I could have done better if I traveled more. I don't have the MikeHAZE or Bardul in me for Marth. I just don't. I tried really hard, but I just realized that marth alone can't do it, FOR ME. So i picked up metaknight. It's working out much better and I feel like i can do so much more just switching off between the characters whenever I need to if it ever comes to that. Right now my Meta needs work and I'm just playing matchups like I think they should be played, that's the reason you'll only see me playing meta only at tourneys, I have to bring it to the same level that my Marth is/was at. Plus playing with the amazing group we have, with my neighbor, TKD, mogx, soid, oats, bone and on and on and on. It just helps to get better, more so if you have some fire in your belly.

Smarts + Fire = Win.

If you were to ask me how old you were in tournament experience, you're still young. *hit Skyler I'M YOUNG. I don't know how you expect to do well if you haven't played as much as the rest of us in Brawl tourneys. I'm serious. lol It took me SEVEN weeks from when i started hosting the Chula's to get a decent place. SEVEN. lol 19 to win one, skyler. It took me 19 weeks to win one of my OWN small semi-weekly tournaments. LOL. That's 5-6 months of getting my *ss handed to me. Some people have a natural knack for fighting games, some don't. It just means you have to work harder.

I haven't had the opportunities to travel as much has other people, except for those times I roughed it at work and even then those were days I took off were literally from the skin of my teeth. Hence the reason I host Chula's...If I can't travel, then why don't I bring them to me, right? Chula's are for practice, for when you DO travel outside you do better. Who cares if we only get a relatively small amount of people compared to LA, you have to hone your skills at your pond before you can go out and do well at bigger areas. Even if you think you own the pond some other fish will bite you in the *ss and bring you back to reality.

Host tourneys = guranteed practice. Practice often = clear and precise at tourneys. MY solution.

If you really want to you can make it happen, it just depends on how much effort you are willing to put.

I can't change your mind skyler I can only offer suggestions.

And i think people who think that "camping" is the WAY to win are wrong, camping is ONE of the ways to win. Either you're the camper or not. Just apply smart pressure and the tent falls like chopsticks.

"There's never a wrong threat, only a wrong answer"

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Havok, I totally understand where you are coming from.Im glad you wrote this out for me, its made me want to get out there and just go. Little things like "You can do it PK, come on PK!" from various people, Oats rubbing me on the shoulders or patting me on the back, the whole ideal I have to win with "garbage Ness". I KNOW I have it in me to win, to get better, I know it, Ive been good at video games ever since I was a kid. I know that every loss is good practice and all that, but the main thing is your right, i'm still young. I cant attend tourneys like you guys and my parents arn't as cool as the other younger guys parents like sockz. My plan is to take a looonnnggg break from smash, until i have a car or something, and THEN i'll be able to get some real practice. Of course by then you guys will be on a whole other level. you guys may still see me around, but itll be less, and Im not sure if im actually going to be attending tourneys. I think smashfests would be better for me, thats where I can really get better with you guys.

For now though, I am on a temporary brawl hiatus. Maybe that will change, but its definantly helpful to know people actually care :)

Also, take Gursalug with you Havok. his Zangief is ****.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I have fun hanging out with you guys. i just dont have fun losing. Im not good enough, and ive come to accept it. I tried Snake as well and I just dont win,and camping all day isnt really that fun even when I do win, of course I still lose to better players and better campers. :/

Edress, the way I camped was at delfino, simply hopping up and pk thunder then falling back in the water. It actually works well. Also you can kinda camp vs Falco too lol.

But yea im pretty much quitting....its just not that fun any more.
you can't really expect to get good that fast. people give up too easily in the brawl community lately.

i sucked at melee for 2 years, and even then i was mediocre

persistance :]

kyubikirby

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff at the tourney, I had a lot of fun with it.

but I forgot my jacket and power/av cables for my PS2 there... can you keep track of it till the next weekly Havok?

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Havok (or anyone), do you know where to get cheap XBOX 360 arcade sticks? My friend really wants to get into Street Fighter 4 (and main Chun-Li, no less :) ) and wants an arcade stick for under 100$

.....Maybe in a while ill get back into Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Come on skyler dont give up.
Better to go meta knight then quit. You'll win some trust me ;D

Ahh nyjin i was soooo close to beating you!
Matchup johns >:l

That was really fun, good stuff everyone. Icanhasresults?

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I think maybe in two months I will play brawl again.

I think Im going to use ROB. I wanted to secondary him as soon as I heard he was a character, I admit it. I always did like the ROB accessory as a kid, even though it was so **** slow :x Don't think I still wont use my boy Ness though! <3

Top Bottom