• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

Rappster

Smash Ace
hi y'all.
my name's aaron, and i'm from southern california, but this fall i'll be attending wheaton college.

i'm sorry that this is kinda a weird place to introduce myself, but i can't find a social thread around here. T_T

are any of y'all going to genesis? thats gonna be my first real tournament (i've hosted stuff at school/church, but the only good player who ever attended was snpr). I'd love to meet some of y'all and make a few connections.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Cool i know snpr, dave's a cool guy. I'm not sure if anyone has plans for genesis2, but i don't (too expensive). Wheaton college is pretty close to a bunch of players including myself. This whole forum is basically a social thing, so feel free to talk off topic or w/e.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262618 - smash oclock thread, basically a smashfest/social thread for the area.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285374 - Smashing Grounds tournament thread, hosted in glen ellyn (which boarders wheaton)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=293997 - Rat's smashfests. A little further away but well worth it.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
hey, thanks for the list of tourneys sveet!

so i've decided i'm going ot the University of Chicago and i was on google maps looking up approximately how long it would take to get to each of those events. How far do midwesterners (people?) travel for tourneys. I come from dallas where we usually whine about having to go to anything thats more than a 30min drive away.

smash o'clock - about 2.5hrs from UofC campus
Smashing grounds - abt 2hrs
Rats smashfests - about 1.5hrs

Do most people think thats far or is that just average? (sry if this is a nub question)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I finally got done reserving days for the summer tournaments.

6/18
7/2
7/23
8/6
8/20

edit- the downtown stations are an hour train ride to the venue

john!

Smash Hero
2.5 hours is like madison status lol. i live farther from uc than the venue is, and getting there would take me like an hour. not sure about public transportation though, it would probably be faster.

actually i'm gonna be in milwaukee all those dates except maybe the 20th. i might come down though, i dunno.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Jason I go to DePaul so I think I am good lol. **** IN ;)

I take Chicago public transportation every day, and UofC is way outta the way of stuff. It does seem to be a little inaccurate though. You can probably shave an hour off of all of those time if you get lucky trains aka map out the times, and walk fast. Driving to any of those from UofC makes them all under an hour to get there lol.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ripple needs a place to stay tonight in chicago. His housing fell through. He's in rosemont at the donald e. Stevens convention center. He wants to be picked up around 1am and needs to be dropped back off before 10am. He said if it's too out of the way for people he will find something else.

Texted me asking to post this.

Rat

Smash Lord
Do you have his phone number?

I'm not the best connected to everyone, but I can try to find a place for him to stay.

Anyways here's my number if you need it. 708 663 4366

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Do you have his phone number?

I'm not the best connected to everyone, but I can try to find a place for him to stay.

Anyways here's my number if you need it. 708 663 4366
His phone number is:

217-622-3131

Thanks a lot <3.

Rat

Smash Lord
I don't know anybody on the northside that plays melee. (I live on the southside (like 50 minutes away) and can't get him.)

I tried calling sveet (nw suburbs) and vro (downtown). Sveet said to try and contact some brawl players but I don't know any of them. (I left a message with arty.)

Vro might be able to house him, but he lives downtown (which really isn't a problem to get to from the convention center by train.)

If that doesn't work out, you should try getting in touch with the chicago brawl scene. (Which I have no idea how to do.) They might know somebody around there.

Anyways I hope we can find a place for him to stay.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't know anybody on the northside that plays melee. (I live on the southside (like 50 minutes away) and can't get him.)

I tried calling sveet (nw suburbs) and vro (downtown). Sveet said to try and contact some brawl players but I don't know any of them. (I left a message with arty.)

Vro might be able to house him, but he lives downtown (which really isn't a problem to get to from the convention center by train.)

If that doesn't work out, you should try getting in touch with the chicago brawl scene. (Which I have no idea how to do.) They might know somebody around there.

Anyways I hope we can find a place for him to stay.
Can you text him some of that information? I haven't been at the computer so I hope he got contacted :/. Thanks for trying even if you cant find anyone. He just texted me out of no where lol I didn't even have his number in my phone.

Rat

Smash Lord
yeah I did that a bit ago.

Going to vro's didn't work out. So he's just gonna hang out that the center. Personally I would try to find some after party or something. Sorry I couldn't find a place. =/

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Isn't that happening at a hotel or like a 24 hour place? Im sure he could find a couch to crash on for a few hours

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Does he still need a place? I remembered that Quaz and Spikes were there and might have a hotel room. Also SpongeJordan has a hotel room but he might be too intoxicated or unconcious to respond.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Are you sure biweeklies are the best idea? Seems like every time these turn into biweeklies, Rat/Tink/BigD style, the turnout is severely compromised...

In any case, I'm eyeing July 2nd as a possible MI return to Chicago.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Great to hear MI is coming back!

We are doing biweeklies because of high demand for tournaments during the summer. By planning ahead we should be avoiding any scheduling or last minute issues that minimized attendance for the previous biweeklies.

:phone:

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i'm not sure how active i can be for awhile :(

i will try to make it to a SG... lets make one of them a big one!

why is my name not purplez

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
So...
Matt, Deku, Sveet, Little England, Rat, and Cosmo all made the MBR
Good****.
If I'm missing anyone....you're not memorable enough.
=D

ORLY

Smash Master
someone figure out a way to get to michigan and back for less than $20

and get back to me

edit: by my calculations, assuming that gas costs an even $5 a gallon and the car we're in gets 25 MPG, it'd only cost ~$118 in gas round trip.

if there's a car going, i'd probably tag along. otherwise, i'll stay here and go to don't blink don't care

Top Bottom