• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

Kels88

Smash Lord
someone figure out a way to get to michigan and back for less than $20

and get back to me

edit: by my calculations, assuming that gas costs an even $5 a gallon and the car we're in gets 25 MPG, it'd only cost ~$118 in gas round trip.

if there's a car going, i'd probably tag along. otherwise, i'll stay here and go to don't blink don't care
I wouldn't mind going to it either. If we could get 5 people we should do this

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I know gas sucks... I'm not expecting you guys to suddenly show up here or anything, especially when I'm making the exact same johns for Chicago tourneys :( these days it would cost me like $80 round-trip even with my honda civic, so unless we get 4 people to travel, gas money is just brutal.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Rat, find 2 more people! Go... But really, what Juggle's saying is that it'd be kinda **** if you guys showed up. Drag Trail along.

Rat

Smash Lord
well 118/5 = 23.6 bucks per person. Which I'm ok with.

If Tink wants to go that makes 4. We need a 5th person. As $29.5 per person kinda sucks.

I wonder if anyone else wants to go...

Also who would drive? Kelly? Tinks car is a bit unreliable.

edit: there's no way in hell trail would drive to a tournament that isn't titled SMYM or maybe Pound

Tink

Smash Hero
exactly rat.....i dont wanna drive my car thattt far again :/....id rather save it for the smaller SG trips.

also, idk if anyone else seen this, but i will nottt be going to that dont blink tourny....specially after this:

oro said:
Chris the problem is that Brawl takes a long long time, and it needs like 90% of the setups. The Melee singles is going to be running off of 2 setups probably, because every other setup/space available will be needed for Brawl.
i will nottt be attending that. lmk of MI shapes up, but it needs to shape up fast heh.

Rat

Smash Lord
yeah i'm not driving there. I'm not gonna put any effort into finding a 5th person either.

Also I'm sad your not going tomorrow tink. I was gonna see if you wanted to do brawl doubles. =(

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I got work at 7am. Ill probably show up to cod for singles (with a setup). If melee setups are getting jacked for brawl the melee tourney can always relocate

:phone:

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
That's straight. We're hosting the next one on June 18. Hopefully you guys can make it up for that one.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Correction, we're doing the next one on June 25th, not the 18th.

I wouldn't be opposed to raising singles to $10 if that's what it'll take for people like Kelly to come. Doubles has to stay at $5 though, we always have trouble getting turnout for that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
June 26 is my birthday. I was at POE for my birthday last year, im probably gonna do a non-smash celebration this year, but who knows.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Anyone interested in traveling OOR this summer? I am looking into some EC tournaments that are happening.

HOPE 3 - Pittsburgh, PA Google maps, my house to venue
489mi, ~8.5 hours
about 50 gallons round trip (20mpg), at $4 (current price near me) = $200

If we split 4 ways thats $50 gas each. I have asked for housing already, but if we don't get any there is a hotel nearby at $60/night, which is $30/person for 2 nights.

Its reasonable to go round trip, including food and tournament fees, for $150/person or less

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Multiple states are going, but i doubt it will end up as a national. I could be way off but in my head its between SCSYN3 and SMYM in size

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'd be impressed if you guys did travel to HOPE 3... we got people here in Ann Arbor already complaining about the potential 4.5 hour drive, haha.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Anyone interested in traveling OOR this summer? I am looking into some EC tournaments that are happening.

HOPE 3 - Pittsburgh, PA Google maps, my house to venue
489mi, ~8.5 hours
about 50 gallons round trip (20mpg), at $4 (current price near me) = $200

If we split 4 ways thats $50 gas each. I have asked for housing already, but if we don't get any there is a hotel nearby at $60/night, which is $30/person for 2 nights.

Its reasonable to go round trip, including food and tournament fees, for $150/person or less

id be interested in going, this would fall a couple weeks before i start the police academy.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Tink are you considering going? I need to know soon so i can start locking in plans (getting off work/reserving a room/**** talking)

edit- thats what i get for not refreshing the page after a sc2 match

trail i didnt expect you to be interested, but i can't say im disappointed :D

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Are you guys coming to Michigan on the 25th? I thought I heard plans rumbling a few days ago. We can raise singles to $10 if that will convince some people *cough* Kelly Smith *cough* to come.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I want to go back to MI soon but that weekend isn't ideal for me (birthday weekend). I wouldnt be surprised if kels/tink/rat/orly formed a car and went tho

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Ah, I see.

Joe, if you were looking at traveling to HOPE 3 on July 2nd, does that mean there's no Chicago tourney anymore on that day? Earlier you had posted:

6/18
7/2
7/23
8/6
8/20

As the tentative schedule.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Hmm thanks for pointing that out, i forgot about that.

also, the official dates are:
6/18
7/2
7/16
8/6

I am training another TO so it may be an option to have him run the 7/2 tournament himself (hes really good so i'm sure he can handle it). I may or may not reschedule the tournament because I'm not sure how much smash i can reasonably handle alongside work and other things.

ORLY

Smash Master
On second thought, I probably can't go to HOPE. I'm going to Minnesota that weekend!

RE: Michigan: I could definitely make it on the 25th if there's other IL interest.

Smash Cadet
I have an ex-girlfriend who lives around those parts, it would be nice to meet up with her, prob while teams or some **** is going on.
She wouldn't by any chance live in Beaver County, would she? Just sayin, cause I got the same story lol.

But anyway...

I am totally down for going to Hope3. I was going to be going to Beaver County, PA (it is about 30 minutes from Pits) in like 2-3 weeks to visit this girl for the weekend, but I don't think she would mind if I pushed it back a week.

So, 90% sure I will be going to it. I will be driving my car, which is a 94 Jeep Wrangler. I would be able to drive people, unfortunately due to the smaller car/no truck, we could only realistically have me + 3 others and no set ups (or sub a person for a set up).

I have driven out there before in my car, and I do not have very good MPG (like 16 HW) so it will be a bit more per person. If I remember correctly, it cost me around $200 the first time I went out there, which was 4 years ago. With the increase in gas cost, we could easily break $300 on gas. Still, if there were say, 3 people and one set up in my car (including myself) that would be about $100 per person.

The one nice thing is though, I can definitely get us free housing, either at this girls place, or with a friend of hers that I know.

But yeah... I will talk to her in the next few days to make sure it would be alright that weekend, again I am 90%+ sure it will be, but I have to make sure.

Just as a note Sveet... When I have gone out there, it has never taken 8.5 hours. It usually is around 10.5 hours (including stopping for a total of an hour). Plus Northern Ohio is a *****.

Top Bottom