• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

Dart!

Smash Master
dart you are a common situation where you have 2 sets of characters that counter eachother in circles. you have two choices:

double blind and hope you guess right, then play up to your standard in order to get the win

OR

man up and beat sheik with marth / beat falco with fox.
Yeah, that's what i'm trying to decide.

i don't want to ditch marth for fox because hes da bess

but i get really tired of the sheik marth MU, it's taxing >.<

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Dart, stick with marth. You showed me how viable he is, even though im quitting him. plus u have so much talent with the guy

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
I just tried to marth vs falco matchup (where i'm marth) for like an hour, how do u do that stuff josh?!! its soo hard.

btw, yea i'm surprised rat isn't on there, imo his samus > my falco xD.

We should do a MIDWEST power rankings instead of Illinois. Someone start one and try to get a sticky?

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I pretty much agree with this list, other than the fact that Tink definitely needs to be included. I agree with the notion that people whom are ACTIVE in Illinois tourneys should be included.

And about Andale going farther down, I'd have to declare that negative. Especially when others say Vro should be higher than him. The only way I could see that being reasonable is due to Anthony's attendance not being the highest. Honestly, Vro is just like me, just better I guess rofl. Sometimes he has his **** times which I'm sure is what you're all evaluating him on, but his performances aren't always stellar. I'd honestly have to say he's close to being tied with Sveet, with Vro being just a smidgen better. This isn't a direct attack towards him either, I love that man, no homo. And ORLY, good ish.

EDIT: Nevermind guys, take Anthony off the list. Silly thinking there kiddo, the entire Midwest is ginormous lol. I like the idea of individual state/possibly regional rankings. Then again, my opinion really doesn't matter that much because I play like a fool in tourney so I don't have much say in any of this xD.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
well if tink is on there, then i think Darkatma should be on there lol.
but seriously, i'd love to a see a top 25 midwest power rankings or something of the sort

Tink

Smash Hero
id only be considered because i mostly onlyyyy play in chicago area, and dont have a scene over in IN. atma doesnt come close to playing anywhere in Illinois on a consistent basis. im also only about 5 mins from the border -_-.

i like the list, other then the rat snub :p....id also like to see a bigger list too....only prob with that is that MW seems to beat itself all the time.....and its never just a triangle.....its like a pentagon+ of players that can beat each other but lose to the other half -_-.

also, if kels stops practicing like hes been doing....and dart doesss quit marth, they will both be dropping...guarenteed! fox isnt as easy to win with as ppl give him credit -_-....you can def beat up mid grade comp, but anyone good and your fox will easily get worked -_-.

Dart!

Smash Master
dart quit marth

sheik is indomitable :)
Dart, stick with marth. You showed me how viable he is, even though im quitting him. plus u have so much talent with the guy
id only be considered because i mostly onlyyyy play in chicago area, and dont have a scene over in IN. atma doesnt come close to playing anywhere in Illinois on a consistent basis. im also only about 5 mins from the border -_-.

i like the list, other then the rat snub :p....id also like to see a bigger list too....only prob with that is that MW seems to beat itself all the time.....and its never just a triangle.....its like a pentagon+ of players that can beat each other but lose to the other half -_-.

also, if kels stops practicing like hes been doing....and dart doesss quit marth, they will both be dropping...guarenteed! fox isnt as easy to win with as ppl give him credit -_-....you can def beat up mid grade comp, but anyone good and your fox will easily get worked -_-.

oh god, who said i was quitting marth?! :rotfl:

fox is da bess, but i'd rather fight everybody but sheik and zelda with marth...so it's done son :D

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i dont know why more people dont main like 3-5 chars...because then as long as you know what your opponent mains(which you mostly will if you stick in the midwest), you always have a counterpick ready, and if you don't know who he plays you just use your standard main character...same thing with stages, you can never get counterpicked too bad on that front either if you can decently play 5 characters

so if you are getting beat in the shiek marth matchup, you have 2 options...learn the matchup better until you can win it right out....or pick a different character that has a better chance and just learn that matchup very well...and then you can decide if you want to use that character only for that specific matchup or if you want to use him in other situations as well

but i agree with everything rat has said...also maybe expand the list to top 15 to give more people motivation to get on or move up

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i dont know why more people dont main like 3-5 chars...because then as long as you know what your opponent mains(which you mostly will if you stick in the midwest), you always have a counterpick ready, and if you don't know who he plays you just use your standard main character...same thing with stages, you can never get counterpicked too bad on that front either if you can decently play 5 characters

so if you are getting beat in the shiek marth matchup, you have 2 options...learn the matchup better until you can win it right out....or pick a different character that has a better chance and just learn that matchup very well...and then you can decide if you want to use that character only for that specific matchup or if you want to use him in other situations as well

but i agree with everything rat has said...also maybe expand the list to top 15 to give more people motivation to get on or move up
its much harder to play 3-5 characters than you think. youre actually in a very similar situation as dart in that you suck balls falco v marth and sheik v spacies, but you are quite good at falco v spacies and sheik v marth

playing 3 is really hard and you have to play a lot to keep them in shape

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
bump for more discussion about PRs

i agree with deku, but at the same time its really fun to play 2+ characters =)

I vote yay for including people who attend Illnois tournaments often

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ if you focused on the game a bit, i think you could do it. you got more talent than me, barns

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Actually honestly, I think Tink is the only guy for which we can make an exception. Tink goes to more Illinois tourneys than I do and I live here it just seems odd that he isn't on the list. Granted, I know this is IL but you might as well say Tink is an Illinois player, actually I didn't even know he lived in Indiana rofl. I don't know, aside from the whole Tink debacle, I think the PR looks fine Tink should definitely be put on the list though.

Can't wait till my hand gets better so I can alter the list with my name xD.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
yo alex, you dont know about my falco v marth game...just ask tommy and watch out for his puddle of tears on the ground lollo

darkatma

Smash Hero
Luls i live way too far from smash in IL, even if I am 15 minutes from the border on MO side.

Tink should definitely be on there. There's no good reason to split based on state border if he attends as many tournies as everyone else does.

Vro: you definitely don't deserve that spot 10 son. Your tourney results and MMs and stuff show otherwise.
<3, just laying it like it is.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
If you expand this to top 15, wouldn't that be like the entirety of Chicago/IL Melee right now? >_>
probably, anyone who isn't on that list or isn't in chicago is me and oranos

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
im with matt

i'll totally play any of 5 or 6 characters depending on matchup, level, and what i know about the person im playing

it may hinder my main's development, but i like to play all of those characters and wont stop playing them in friendlies anyway

i just like to play a bunch of characters and then use whichever ones feel like theyre the best that day when i get to tournaments

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
anyone notice how darkatma's melee rankings put matt over tom, but here it's the opposite? lulllzzzzz.

at this point, i have no clue who is better but i just find that funny.

slomo431

Smash Ace
This needs to be top 50 so I can get on the Honorable Mention or Others Receiving Votes list.

Also Ray Chun should be top 3 nobody from Illinois has even taken a stock from him in months.

Dart!

Smash Master
anyone notice how darkatma's melee rankings put matt over tom, but here it's the opposite? lulllzzzzz.

at this point, i have no clue who is better but i just find that funny.
They played at SCSYN3 matt r won but got beat by kels

tom r won the last tournament and beat kels/outplaced him...you be the judge

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
From what i understand, Tom R is better with his character than Matt R is with his. But Matt R's character is better in general.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Tom R and Matt R are the same person so it really doesn't even matter.

Top Bottom