• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
._. i don't know what to make of that

but the only way flamethrower does 30% is if your opponent fails hard at SDI
A) Heavyweights
B) Large Characters
C) Most people fail at SDI XDDDDDD lolololol.

Well, honestly, a lot of people don't really know what to do with Flamethrower, from what I've seen. It depends on the character. Some can SDI in really well and interrupt the flamethrower with a n-air or some bs, and some SDI out really well and get r4p3d if they try to DI in. So a lot of people don't really know which way to go, and often have to switch if they SDI in before realizing it won't work with the character he/she is using. In which case you get like, 30 damages. lulz. I mean, yeah, it's super uncommon to get THAT much off of a flamethrower, but not unheard of. XP

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Buuda, if you're playing people who take over 30% from Flamethrower, you're not playing good players. Hate to be blunt, but that's the truth. Due to Flamethrower's tiny size, it's incredibly easy to SDI.

Kith

Smash Ace
The only times i ever get so much damage from flamethrower is when im playing friendlies. in tournament, no one is going to risk trying to go through flamethrower. What im saying is...it works in friendlies lol

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Buuda, if you're playing people who take over 30% from Flamethrower, you're not playing good players. Hate to be blunt, but that's the truth. Due to Flamethrower's tiny size, it's incredibly easy to SDI.
It was an exaggeration DX

And I do play some crummy players at local tourneys. lol

humble

Smash Ace
It was an exaggeration DX

And I do play some crummy players at local tourneys. lol
When I play bad people with zard, I pretend I'm limited to one move, and rocksmash like I desperately need immediate brain trauma.
I win that way. Rocksmash2gud.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
When I play bad people with zard, I pretend I'm limited to one move, and rocksmash like I desperately need immediate brain trauma.
I win that way. Rocksmash2gud.

Wouldn't you... have brain trauma? And therefore.... need surgeriez? I have never heard of anyone needing brain trauma.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
So after my last tourny I have to say Wave-Bouncing Rock-smash really is an awesome mix-up straight up. The fragments do cover your hurtbox and I gave the 40+% Rock-smashs to people through wavebouncing them as people attempted to rush in with attacks.......Start trying this guys while it's still hot

humble

Smash Ace
I love run off ledge/platform then jump wavebounce those *******s trying to stalk me. Works well with flamethrower too.

Was messing around, I was zard, recovering low, they jump out to spike me, I use fly and grab ledge, they are beneath stage lip. I drop and nair to stage spike, they tech it, then I use fly again and land the last hit to stagespike them. I love fly KOs.

EDIT: Does anyone intentionally spike with bair? I rarely see it, but it seems like it'd be useful.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
So after my last tourny I have to say Wave-Bouncing Rock-smash really is an awesome mix-up straight up. The fragments do cover your hurtbox and I gave the 40+% Rock-smashs to people through wavebouncing them as people attempted to rush in with attacks.......Start trying this guys while it's still hot
Wavebouncing is so legit, we all need to make it a staple trick/thing in our arsenal.

EDIT: Does anyone intentionally spike with bair? I rarely see it, but it seems like it'd be useful.
It is too inconsistent to rely on it. And the spike knockback is extremely weak.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Wavebouncing is so legit, we all need to make it a staple trick/thing in our arsenal.
Yea Miles we really do.....it makes razor leaf perfect blade about 7 out of 10 times., along with making flamethrower while retreating a much more effective way of getting more damage out of flamethrower.

Rocksmash just becomes straight more effective when wavebouncing a wavebounced RS counter is almost always prone to deal close to max 45% damage since the wavebounce has the counter go off then momentum continues to push the hitboxes towards your opponents.

PT gains alot more move effectiveness from wavebouncing

Buuda

Smash Apprentice

It is too inconsistent to rely on it. And the spike knockback is extremely weak.
Yeah, I'd agree on the wavebouncing. I do it all the time and it's *******ing incredible. And yeah, b-air can be fun to try to spike with in friendlies, but it really is quite weak and not reliable. Go for the d-air if you can. I recently realized how HOLY S***H4X the hitbox is. Like, SOOOO far underneath Zard's feet. Given, it can still be kinda hard to land since it has no horizontal hitbox whatsoever, but still good, imo.

humble

Smash Ace
Does anyone use zards up-B starting invicibility frames to tank hits And punish them w/ it? If you read your opponent and timed it, seems like it'd be effective, if situational.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Pretty much the only time I mash up B with Charizard is when I'm being hit by a multihit move, but people don't use multihit moves much for that reason.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Charizard's Fair, Bair, Dair, Utilt, Dtilt, Grab, Usmash, Rock Smash, Flamethrower, and Fly are all too good to handle!

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
(Already posted on Squirtle Tactical, but thought it may be more fitting here)
Okay, speaking of janky b-momentum, I (think) I discovered something balls-to-the-walls incredible. Soo, I stumbled across a way to get b-momentum (like a wavebounce) with Neutral B without actually being turned around and b-reversing. And no, I'm not b-sticking. Anyhow, I did this at Don't Blink with Charizard, and here's how it goes (it's INCREDIBLE with flamethrower):

So, all you do is jump back lightly, not enough to turn around, and then press B followed by forward on the thumbstick, and if you time it right, you get amazing b-momentum forward that can leave the opponent stuck in the nasty part of Flamethrower because they thought you were retreating and SH backwards with Zard is really vulnerable. So when they try to exploit it, all of a sudden, you whip forward inexplicably with a good flamethrower, and I noticed the same works with a few other characters. I haven't done a whole lot of testing on it, but I was talking to some people (Arty, and some others I can't remember, lol) and they all said they'd never seen it, and I think this technique is probably applicable to all characters. It's seriously REALLY good. Like, if you're right at the edge (facing away from it) and you short hop lightly back, the opponent rushes you, and like stated earlier, you melt his/her face off with a sexy flamethrower if you have good spacing and timing. I wish I could upload a vid, but idk if I actually did it in any matches that got saved. Anyone wanna do this?

So, again:

SH back w/o turning
B-->Forward on Thumbstick
Commence winning.

Someone tell me if this is already known. If it is, I gain official scrub status. Lol. But I did talk to a bunch of people and they said they'd never seen it. It makes such sexy mindgames! :D

New AT?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I don't think there are videos, but that's how I've always wavebounced.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
No, it's the tiniest SH back, then the B-momentum. I've never seen it before, except when I've done it. :3

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Okay, I gotta say, we are not abusing Charizard's ledge game nearly enough.

Here's what we have:
- Multiple Jumps
- The ability to change directions in mid-air
- The ability to alternate F-Air and B-Air when dropping from the ledge (-> Jump -> + C-stick <- for ledge-hopped B-Air)
- Super Armor on Up-B
- An Up-B with a huge ledge sweet-spot
- and a Selfdestructing Geodude

Like seriously. Zard easily has the 3rd best non-projectile ledge stall in the game. Ledge-hopped B-Airs & F-Airs cover a respectable distance near the edge.
And if Zard doesn't attack, it's near impossible to punish Charizard on the ledge. His invincibility frames still cover him after he dropped from the ledge all the way into his Up-B start-up.
On top of that, nothing can spike Zard out of Up-B, or will have enough time to even damage him since there's about 10 frames of vulnerability from when the invincibility frames run out to the time he grabs the ledge. And those 10 frames have Up-B's super armor.

Now, how you use his ledge-stall with the ledge-grab limits still around is totally up to you.
Biding time until Squirtle's fatigue is completely gone? Go for it.
Edge-hogging like a boss? Hell yea.
Stock tanking for the Anubis-strat with Lucario in dubz? ****.

Eh w/e. One of us will eventually find a good use for it. But just sayin', keep it in mind.

T-block

B2B TST
I don't have the facts to back it up, but I'm pretty sure Charizard is actually very vulnerable when he's on the edge. That said, ledgehop b-air is really cool. I've also been using ledgejump > jump > Flamethrower to return.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I hate hate hate Charizard on the ledge. Fly's landing lag is a pain. :/

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
Charizard is very iffy on the ledge. Against people that will rush you I say that his ledge game is awesome. However against the more defensive characters he's just a oversized target thats just waiting for a beating if he tries to mess with u on the edge.

Top Bottom