• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
I beg to differ. Squirtle's dsmash is pretty useful, especially on the edge of the stage. Ivy's is decent and so is charz.

Both Ivy and charz are good for the Spot dodge Down-smash.
Maybe I'm just spoiled by playing R.O.B. too much then. =P

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivysaur's is possibly the worst smash attack in the game.

at 200%, it fails to kill mario from the center of fd.

it does 8% uncharged and like 11% fully charged.

it has like 45 frames of cooldown lag. which is absolutely RIDICULOUS for a move with such a terrible reward on hit.

it comes out on frame 16 or something

it's ****

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The only good thing that comes from using Ivysaur's dsmash is the general WTF reaction of the person you're playing.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
The only good thing that comes from using Ivysaur's dsmash is the general WTF reaction of the person you're playing.
well Ivy is a wtf character. one move: up smash.

(shouldn't this be going into the Ivy discussion lol?)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Charizard's dsmash is actually OK.

It has pretty good kill power actually. And landing it isn't THAT hard.
I wish the opponent didn't have to be touching the ground for it to land, however. That's frustrating sometimes.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually i think once i hit with the little earth shockwaves when the opponent was in the air (very close to the ground though, obviously). it could have just been my eyes playing tricks on me though.

Kantō

Smash Champion
charizards down smash has got me mant KO's. u just need to save it for the right time. its definatly better than ivysasaurs and squirtles as far as knockback goes. but then again charizard has that big rock...

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I love down smash personally.....no one expects it and alot of times the range stuffs some approaches so all I gotta say is experiment with it more because Ive found ALOT of use with zard's d-smash

Kantō

Smash Champion
how should i get better at spiking with zard? i just landing a few on my buddies, but is there a solid approuch for his spike?

T-block

B2B TST
his spike is slow, so it's tough. the only semi-reliable way is to use it on a predictable recovery like captain falcon's or something. the hitbox on it is huge, so take advantage of that

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
how should i get better at spiking with zard? i just landing a few on my buddies, but is there a solid approuch for his spike?
Just practice using dair on people. I wasn't too good at spiking with it at first since, as t-block already said, it comes out slowly, but I've gotten a LOT better at it over time.

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
for the dair, dont be too close to your enemy, ir it'll miss. if you're not as close, or someone further away, then it should work. but yea, just basically practice it

Kith

Smash Ace
So, baiting opponents by warming them up slighty with short-hopped, fast falled f-air into down-tilt has been working pretty well for me. I really feel that Charizard can be a pretty good, technical character if played well, because short hopped b-air spaces so well lol. The trick is to get your fingers to move as fast as you want them to...

Kith

Smash Ace
Well, I meant more technical than the videos I normally watch lol. I think the boards call it dragon dancing, but that's pretty much what I'm talking about. And unfortunately, I sometimes end up with empty short hops cause I'm messing up the C-stick timing or something. But he can definitely have a more technical metagame than is currently used.

Yeah I wish the whole hitbox had the same knock back lol, but that's why I'm beginning to use it as a baiting move to. Spaced well, a lot of people walk into downtilts or grabs

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I've been using fair a lot less than I used to. I've pretty much replaced it with nair while onstage.

Toby.

Smash Master
9%.

Sweet spot probably deals about 12.

And yeah it has mad setup potential. Bthrow->regrab->bthrow->nair->ftilt/FSMASH

The hard bit is landing the nair against an opponent in a neutral position.

edit: oshi- 2000 posts

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Nair, a move that we didn't realize has so many uses until many months in advance.

ahh, the sweet smell of Deja vu.

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
sometimes fair wont make the enemy flinch or whatever u call it. it seems like fair only makes the someone flinch when charazard is attempting to recover and ur opponent is near the ledge

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Tankzortz when you say they don't flinch are you trying to say they don't get knockback? If that's what you meant it's because fair has a massive sourspot and only a small sweetspot. The sourspot does like 1% damage and no knockback at all.

If that's not what you meant, can you explain to me what you mean, I could learn something here.

By the way is it possible to semi-spike with nair, as in catch with them with the tail when it's going underneath Zard if you get what I mean.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
cant you follow up with any ground move after using Nair? I'm pretty sure you can and you get no landing lag.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i like to edgeguard some characters with flamethrower. it sounds stupid, and it looks stupid (and funny), but it works against recoveries that are slower than yours (so you don't end up edgehogging yourself). fox, falco, ness, lucas, zelda, dedede, diddy somewhat. obviously it only works below the ledge, because above it they can just air dodge through it with no fear of running out of recovery room. the benefit is that it's not as easy to avoid as a fair or something. clearly you can just use fair or edgehog in some situations but flamethrower is a nice mixup to toss in that some opponents won't really expect.

Top Bottom