• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Technical double post 'cuz I have a question.

We know that grab following a nair is a true combo--thanks to Magik's recent vid, I've been doing this more, and it is so ****, haha. But is a pivot grab following a nair a true combo as well?

Toby.

Smash Master
No.

Nair to grab probably isn't a true combo either. It's still good though.

If you enjoy doing that, bthrow->nair->jab->grab is also fun and useful. You can also go for the double bthrow and predict their spotdodge for a free rock smash.

Back in july nair to grab / nair to rock smash / nair to jab was the only reason I did well against all those american marths hahaha

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I could've sworn Magik's vid said it was a true combo...oh well, haha.

Wrecking American Marths must have felt good.

Toby.

Smash Master
His video definitely said it was a true combo, but as far as I'm aware he was just assuming as much. I know that it definitely LOOKS like a true combo, but proper DI and a 1 frame invincibility move such as fortress, wolf's shine or marth's dolphin slash could probably lead to an escape.

That having been said, I've never had anyone escape. I just don't think it's a proven true combo yet.

And yeah, America was fun :D

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
This is probably a stupid question but does Zard have an infinite ground release on Kirby? I assume he probably doesn't but just wanted to confirm it because I got like 8 straight on someone before.

Toby.

Smash Master
You can also gently nibble their ear for a similar effect. For best results, whisper compliments in their ear at the same time.

eg.."you're looking great today"

"you're delicious"

"chain grab me harder"

etc etc

gantrain05

Smash Master
fino, an olimar, once bit his opponent's nipple mid-match

dead serious
he's not gonna be at NO KOAST this weekend is he?? if he is, im staying far away.

also, you probably don't remember me, but we played a couple times at a couple tournies steeler, we are going to have to play some games at NO KOAST if you are there.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You can also gently nibble their ear for a similar effect. For best results, whisper compliments in their ear at the same time.

eg.."you're looking great today"

"you're delicious"

"chain grab me harder"

etc etc
yeah.... stuff like that is a hobby down here.......
:dizzy:

Magik0722

Smash Champion
In my video i said i wasnt sure it was a true combo

i dont have a marth to test it on so somebody should try it on a marth who starts to spam upB after the nair

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
he's not gonna be at NO KOAST this weekend is he?? if he is, im staying far away.

also, you probably don't remember me, but we played a couple times at a couple tournies steeler, we are going to have to play some games at NO KOAST if you are there.
yeah i remember you. we'll play!

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
I actually pulled off charizards nair to grab in a tourney match. It worked out pretty good but its a lot harder to get because they can shield after the first hit sometimes.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
in your video for match 4&5 Magik, looked like you were going for a multible grab when you threw Xyro into the tree at around 2:30. At lower %'s you think that could have worked?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It'd be worth trying it out on training mode however the only problem I got with training mode is that there is room for sufficient error like DI and what not so a move or combo can be just as easily discredited or labeled as "situational" and thrown into the garbage. Trust me, it's happened to me on the TL boards many times. :(

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Use both the control stick and c-stick. You ideally want your character to fly towards the corner in most situations.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
Wrong. Both of you newbies watch this video to understand how to DI correctly with all 3 pokemon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdUP_HSg7eA
I just said what DI was. And though I didn't feel like explaining the details and other things like Smash DI that that vid probably covers, I was still right. =P

But W/E I'll watch it anyway. =P

Edit: watched it and it's a nice vid. =P
I'll admit that I didn't know that Squirtle had to DI in, I always DIed up with all three. =P

Vermy

Smash Champion
I just said what DI was. And though I didn't feel like explaining the details and other things like Smash DI that that vid probably covers, I was still right. =P

But W/E I'll watch it anyway. =P

Edit: watched it and it's a nice vid. =P
I'll admit that I didn't know that Squirtle had to DI in, I always DIed up with all three. =P
If I didn't correct you, Tankzortz would have very well gone away thinking that's what DI is. If you're going to help, don't be lazy. Half-***** advice doesn't help anyone.

And you're too liberal with "=P"

Don't you try and sass me, boy.

@Tankzortz: You're welcome. I help where I can.

Vermy

Smash Champion
It's all good.

I caught a Taillow and am training it up. I taught it:
-Double Kick (gatling combo)
-Pursuit (phantasm)
-Siesmic Toss (D-throw)
-Short hop double laser (I couldn't think of a pokemon term ;_;)

At this point in the bit, you should have figured out I've played a lot of Falco lately. =3

Back on topic, I hardly find any use for Zard's dsmash, other than against roll spammers like lucario and kirby mains. Its not a good move at all. Its a couple frames slower than usmash and works like DKs down b, with a shorter radius. No big hitbox. It just doesn't have many uses. Nair's potential needs to be sought after.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Jumping from the ground to a platform while performing a nair is awesome. Provides you with the flame sweetspot sitting just under the platform as you land, lag free. Haven't found a practical use other than running away, but could be the start of something.

Nair, flamethrower, dtilt and rocksmash are zards best defensive options, and id say there are more options/techniques we aren't considering.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I've been nairing a lot more lately. It's boss.

Dsmash is good on ICs to separate them, especially on Nana. If you see her on the ground, charge downsmash while she's getting up to run back to Popo. Other than that, I don't use dsmash, haha.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I don't really use any smash unless I line it up well (I interestingly get a lot of Fsmash line ups).

I find D smash pointless. OK, I admit that here are characters who benefit from their D smash, but Charizard isn't one of them.

Top Bottom