• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Vermy

Smash Champion
Nair is also one of charizard's best defensive options. The best being rock smash and flamethrower.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Its by no means a shield. Its priority is neither here nor there, so it will probably be interrupted if attacked. A shield is a shield. And charizards shield is good. It has a big juicy grab inside =D

I use it when an opponent is returning from the edge ever now and then. Its big, lingers, and auto cancels. Secks is had.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ok got ya vermy so its a nice way to interrupt an opponent more or less

I meant more of a surrounding hitbox instead of shield but either way your right is deff isnt its just like a death roll with a torch attached at the bottom.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
What I like is if your RAR an N-air the torch hitbox actually wraps around first so you can exploit that hitbox so that it comes out alot faster and thus actually gives n-air a bit more priority

Kith

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if this has been discussed already but, if you're on the ledge as charizard, and someone is waiting for you above the ledge, what do you do? What are some safe options?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
-Kith im a big fan of looking for sweetspotted b-airs because even if they shield you can second jump and do it again and then you either have enough room to get back on the stage or just regrab edge and repeat

Toby.

Smash Master
If you time it properly you can do an immediate bair on to the stage. You have to do it right though. You don't drop back, second jump to reverse and then bair. It should execute about as quickly as if you'd just fair'd.
If you haven't used fly to recover it will also land laglessly, allowing you to immediately grab, jab, shield etc.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Not to mention the tail's hitbox goes through the stage so sweetspotting b-air is even easier figuring theres a few frames they cant even see it going through the stage.

MindGames!!!!!

Kith

Smash Ace
If you time it properly you can do an immediate bair on to the stage. You have to do it right though. You don't drop back, second jump to reverse and then bair. It should execute about as quickly as if you'd just fair'd.
If you haven't used fly to recover it will also land laglessly, allowing you to immediately grab, jab, shield etc.
Whoa wait, if you haven't used fly, it affects how much lag your bair onto stage will have o.O

Toby.

Smash Master
No, it would be more accurate to say that its the opposite. There's a bug in brawl where almost all up B recoveries that sweet spot the ledge will give you the landing lag you would have received if you HADN'T caught the edge.

Ie. You use fly, grab the ledge and then jump on to the stage. When you land on the stage you get landing lag equal to what you would have had if you'd done fly on the stage itself. It makes getting on stage REALLY hard if you have to use fly.

:(

Kith

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I knew about that one :-\ That is the weakest part of my Charizard play style. If I find myself on the ledge, I know I'm gonna take a hit somehow -.-. Everyone I play with expects the Bair trick :-\. Stupid Up-B lag

T-block

B2B TST
yeah it'd definitely a tough situation to be in...there was a discussion a while back about it

- b-air as toby said
- f-air if you don't have up-b lag
- ledgehop rocksmash, which is risky
- ledgehop flamethrower
- ledgehop n-air regrab in hopes of hitting them away so you can get on
- get up attack has a weird amount of invincibility past 100%
- ledgehop airdodge past them
- up-b from the ledge, which is risky
- normal ledgejump

those are some of your options, but a lot of them still leave you at risk of being hit. if you can get to the edge without using fly you should be able to get back fairly easily... if you need to use fly then you'll have a tougher time, especially on stages like battlefield or lylat cruise

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ehh more or less if Im playing against marth Ill just drop from the ledge fake going under the stage so he thinks he has an easy KO coming and just go back to the edge for a quick jump.....in short I more or less just kinda say **** marth.

Tiara wearing homo

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
also about nair

sh it when you are juggling someone, it's a **** way to bait an airdodge and just grab them when you land. or, you could just hit them since it lasts so long.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
I have been playing a lot of melee.
My main is Ice Climbers. One faucet of there game is their Bair out of Shield. It punishes so many things, making them unsafe on my shield. It is sorta hard to short hop the Bair OoS, especially with the varying hit stun in melee. So some players rarely use this one aspect of the Ice Climbers game. I recently made a point to perfect it, and it alone changes entire match ups.

In brawl, shields are a whole other creature. You can just drop your shield and attack.
I would like to say that because of this, we have gotten lazy in exploring our defensive options. I would like to highlight that Charizard's Bair OoS (and all the pokemons' Bairs OoS) is really good.

Charizard's especially, since it deals decent damage and IT KILLS.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I can't remember if I've tried bair out of shield before. :/ I'll have to think about that more often!

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
- b-air as toby said
- f-air if you don't have up-b lag
- ledgehop rocksmash, which is risky
- ledgehop flamethrower
- ledgehop n-air regrab in hopes of hitting them away so you can get on
- get up attack has a weird amount of invincibility past 100%
- ledgehop airdodge past them
- up-b from the ledge, which is risky
- normal ledgejump
Aside from these, I find myself using Uair and Fair without getting back on the stage a lot. Fair is cool because the "strong" hitbox is around where the opponent would be if they were waiting for you near the ledge (Unless they have ridiculous range; Marth), and Uair is like the same thing but if they're even closer.

If I hit then I grab the ledge then get back on quickly, if I don't then I try something else from the list.

Thoughts?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I completely agree retro I don't like U-air as much unless they seem to give chase to me being on the edge and look for some form of a walk-off.....but overall a non ledge hopped f-air seems to really pester a lot of characters and even if they shield the process can just be repeated without much worry.

As long as we don't up-b to grab the edge during the we don't have to worry about receiving lag from ledgehopping an aerial so I find myself f-air till I get an opening to b-air and get the auto cancel. Once this happens Im more or less home free from getting off the edge.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Bair was already on the list. I think its the best option too, but the other two have merit. It depends on their positioning really.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Ah ok, my bad. :s
Fair is just to easily punishable. If you don't sweetspot, then it's just not worth it.

Anyone tried to Nair from the ledge of Battlefield and auto cancel it on the platform? Its pretty good. Same idea as the upB from the edge idea i had a while ago.

T-block

B2B TST
Don't most people stand a ways from the ledge when they're guarding it anyways? Even if I were guarding you with Squirtle or something I don't think I'd be standing in strong f-air range. I've always used n-air if I'm planning to regrab the ledge after... I'll try out u-air though.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Never tried nair, but I used fair and upair a good bit. More fair, though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ledgehopped U-Air is usually a bad idea, but I've found that it works well against people that try to punish jumping while on the ledge, like Falco (Curse you, Kismet!).

Bomber7

Smash Hero
still having trouble thinking about how Charizard would fair against ROB (starting). Need more input please.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well, both Charizard & ROB are ridiculously hard to kill (both are heavy, both have pretty good recovery, and both have some flight like mechanic, whether by gliding or by those darn rockets). Charizard is more powerful (being built as a powerhouse [an agile one at that]), while ROB is pretty good at a distance with numerous projectiles. Charizard's options are mostly ground based, while ROB's are air based. My opinion, whoever gets to their advantage first (You're guess is as good as mine)

Top Bottom