• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Lyn.
Her presence as a fighter, especially when we have a decent number of Fire Emblem sword units already, would be painful.
She would be different from all the Marth clones though... and besides, she would be way more welcome of an inclusion than Corrin was.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Mother 1 is best off being ignored. It's a bad game, and just a crappy version of Earthbound.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
At this point I don't care enough about any one character to actively "not" want a character in.

...Okay, maybe Rabbids, but besides that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
She would be different from all the Marth clones though... and besides, she would be way more welcome of an inclusion than Corrin was.
Golden's issue is more an issue with Lyn specifically, not necessarily more Fire Emblem.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don’t want anyone from DQ, they all look like DBZ and that is the last thing I need in such a great game. Also want no more than two more third parties for this round of dlc, there’s already too many in there, and 90% of them that are in suck.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Geno absolutely does not deserve any representation in smash, as a character, assist trophy or spirit. He is the worst character in the worst officially licensed Mario game. He and his series is incredibly outdated. I absolutely despise of all of the people who thinks he has any right to be in Smash as a character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd be more of a fan of Ninten if they revived him officially with a proper different design. He literally looks like Ness with barely a difference other than at most artstyle. While the commercial design isn't bad or anything, it's unofficial. I'd be fine with them using it, though. But he still could be an easy Echo, which honestly seem unnecessary as an excuse to get him in. But just throwing him in for the sake of Mother 1 isn't better either. There's more to him than that. Besides that, I'd prefer Porky if only because he feels like a more notable character at this point. Besides being a villain for two games(which is an important story role), he has a lot more characterization and feels a lot more unique. Having both in would be neat, though. Porky couldn't work as an Echo, so I'd be fine with Ninten being one if we also got Porky as unique. Akin to what Metroid did overall.

As someone who has played Mother 1, it does feel kind of outdated in itself. As well as unnecessarily hard. EarthBound does still feel like a remake of the game, but vastly improved. I own both games, and they are fun, mind you. One thing that would be neat for Ninten is to do what they did for Ness to a degree, giving him abilities from his various other teammates. But not simply PSI attacks alone. Weapons too. Making him a bit more of a weapons and PSI master could make him far more interesting than an Echo alone. But that's just one way to go about it. My only problem with Lucas being a semi-clone of Ness is that it doesn't really show off all the odds and ends of the abilities the Mother 3 characters also have. It works with Ness fairly well since the characters all have multiple PSI attacks as is, so he feels like an overall representation of him and his friends. Lucas doesn't work nearly as well that way. Nor have the rhythm mechanic in some way either. So he feels a bit off. I still like Lucas, don't get me wrong. And I get why he's similar to Ness too(as Lucas, twice, was meant to replace Ness on the roster at some point). Not saying I want a rhythm mechanic, mind you, as that sounds hard to balance in Smash and I am not really a fan of the type of gameplay myself(though I get why people like it and I can fully understand wanting a character based around it).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I want to take this time to remind users that you are allowed to state why you don’t want/dislike a character and give reasons as to why you don’t. That’s what this thread is about. However, using it as a platform to attack particular users who have a differing opinion than you as well as using it to attack a particular fan base is considered trolling/harassment and trolling. Posts like this

I absolutely despise of all of the people who thinks he has any right to be in Smash as a character.
Is not needed and unwarranted. It adds nothing to the current discussion except to anger a particular fan base. You can dislike a fan base and express that without overly attacking and ridiculing them.

Please keep this in mind when posting here and to avoid outright personal attacks or overly attacking a fan base. This is not acceptable behavior.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I want to take this time to remind users that you are allowed to state why you don’t want/dislike a character and give reasons as to why you don’t. That’s what this thread is about. However, using it as a platform to attack particular users who have a differing opinion than you as well as using it to attack a particular fan base is considered trolling/harassment and trolling. Posts like this

Is not needed and unwarranted. It adds nothing to the current discussion except to anger a particular fan base.

Please keep this in mind when posting here and to avoid outright personal attacks or overly attacking a fan base. This is not acceptable behavior.
This

"I don't like this character" is better than
"I don't like people that like this character"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyone voiced by Vic Mcgona or whatever that creeps name is spelt
I mean, to be fair, is that really an issue if

1. He would only voice the character in one language if he were brought on?
2. They recast the character?

:p
The dude's a scumbag but if the character is recast I don't see the issue.

D

Deleted member

I mean, to be fair, is that really an issue if

1. He would only voice the character in one language if he were brought on?
2. They recast the character?
Its not like there were many OG videogame characters that were voiced by him. Pretty much E-123 Omega from Sonic and Junpei Iori are the most notorious ones, with some JRPGs as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Its not like there were many OG videogame characters that were voiced by him. Pretty much E-123 Omega from Sonic and Junpei Iori are the most notorious ones, with some JRPGs as well.
also bubsy

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While it’s an important issue, let’s save Vic talk for another thread or the Debate Hall.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Mother 1 is best off being ignored. It's a bad game, and just a crappy version of Earthbound.
Well, in this topic, we're not likely going to have more fighters of this series, so you don't really need to argue about it for now. Fair enough.

Geno absolutely does not deserve any representation. He and his series is incredibly outdated.
I mean, his series Super Mario is the least outdated Nintendo franchise....

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure they meant the old Mario RPG games, in which they would have a point.
Well, in Smash or in other games, "outdated" characters or references may be revived with "updated" designs, like Little Mac. So outdated wouldn't cause problems here.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, in Smash or in other games, "outdated" characters or references may be revived with "updated" designs, like Little Mac. So outdated wouldn't cause problems here.
Punch-Out!! for the Wii came out in 2009, a mere three years before Smash 4 started development. I'd hardly call Little Mac an outdated addition.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Ninten - Mother hardly deserves that much representation, and even then I think characters like Porky and Masked Man bring way more to the table

Lyn - or any other Fire Emblem rep for that matter. I love Lyn and BK but I don't think I could take more swords from FE specifically. Give me non-redundant swordfighters like Dante, Isaac, Travis etc. As for the other weapon types... eh, even as a huge FE fan I don't think I could stomach another rep when the likes of Kirby and Zelda struggle to get one more. Smash thrives on franchise diversity.

Elma/Rex - because Xenoblade is fine having only one rep too

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Any non-video game character since if someone like Goku from Dragon Ball Z or James Bond gets in then that means characters like Takamaru or Issac will never be able to get into Smash.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Punch-Out!! for the Wii came out in 2009, a mere three years before Smash 4 started development. I'd hardly call Little Mac an outdated addition.
I also mean in other game outside Smash as well,. If restricted in Smash when a franchise doesn't have new games over decades, probably like IceClimbers.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Any non-video game character since if someone like Goku from Dragon Ball Z or James Bond gets in then that means characters like Takamaru or Issac will never be able to get into Smash.
...That's not how it works. At all.

If Takamaru and Isaac aren't going to get in Smash, it's going to be due to issues related to their series either being obscure or not relevant enough.

Goku and James Bond are huge characters on their own, not that they have any real chance of getting in(which is less than Takamaru and Isaac. One is a beloved game character that they know people want in. The other is someone Sakurai acknowledged outright. His only thing about James and Goku were they were impossible).

Just remember, not every character getting in affects another character's chances.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I may sound to critical but he were go!

Steve from Minecraft: No matter how unique he can be i just don't think he works right and i want Banjo & Kazooie.

Sans from Undertale:i honestly see him working as an assist trophy,plus he's not the main character we play as in the game.

Edelgard from Fire Emblem and Any Pokemon from Gen 8:At this point these two franchises are already full of characters.

Fortnite Characters:*Imagining what smash would be treated by kids with fortnite being in*

Sora from Kingdom Hearts:i don't dislike sora or his games, but with so much disney influence it's hard to try and strip it out of sora to add him in smash,if you keep the disney stuff then that might break a rule smash must keep which is for the next one(s) here.

Any Non-Gaming Character:They will break the balance of having gaming characters in smash,besides i don't want Goku,Superman,Harry Potter,Michel Jackson,Brittany Spears,or Others i like such as Spider-Man,Spongebob,Mickey Mouse,Scrooge McDuck,Finn & Jake,and Steven Universe they just might ruin the series.

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
*Let me state the obvious first and say no characters with non-video game origins.* As much as I love the franchise, it is one of my favorites of all time but: NO MORE POKEMON. I'm cool with what we got so far. There's no more Pokemon that are really worth putting in at this point either. And the only way I can see another getting in is if it's promotion for the new game coming out this year. Which I was never a fan of promotion characters in the first place. I just don't like the idea. I think our Pokemon cast is great. And besides, most of the Pokemon people ask for are in Pokken anyway. Just go play that!!!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
*Let me state the obvious first and say no characters with non-video game origins.* As much as I love the franchise, it is one of my favorites of all time but: NO MORE POKEMON. I'm cool with what we got so far. There's no more Pokemon that are really worth putting in at this point either. And the only way I can see another getting in is if it's promotion for the new game coming out this year. Which I was never a fan of promotion characters in the first place. I just don't like the idea. I think our Pokemon cast is great. And besides, most of the Pokemon people ask for are in Pokken anyway. Just go play that!!!
I mean, Eevee and Meowth are rather important in the games and anime at this point, so there are more options. I can understand not wanting to make the roster too huge with them, though. I think one or two new ones per game, max, nowadays is fine. And I'd be fine they didn't add any new ones in any game. I don't really believe in a series needing a guaranteed slot. Not that I disagree with the idea of saving a slot for Pokemon's next gen, either. As long as the character is able to stand out and be fun, it's worth it. Basically, let's say the next game comes around Gen IX's time. If Sakurai sets a slot aside for the character, but no Pokemon from that gen interests him, it's not an issue whatsoever that he either goes with an idea from a previous Gen he likes or simply doesn't add a Pokemon in that one game. That said, it wouldn't even be hard finding an interesting Pokemon in any such Gen. Also, I don't think the "deserving" argument really is a good one either. There's many worth promoting. It doesn't mean they should just simply do it cause it's Pokemon. Series balance is still something that should be considered. Just like a smaller series is still nice to give another character, even if the franchise is dead/on hiatus(like F-Zero). Neither are bad ways to go about it.

Albeit, it does help that Pokemon all get in for various reasons. None have so far gotten in just for the sake of promotion at this point. Though it could happen for DLC, but the first time we ever got a single character just for the sake of advertisement, but I doubt it even then. Choosing a Gen VIII Pokemon also means figuring out why they're interesting enough, giving more than just "advertisement" as the reason. Greninja, for instance, wasn't just chosen because it was from Gen VI, it was a character Sakurai immediately envisioned in his head of how the character works. The timing of 4 and X/Y releasing close to each other didn't play that much of a role anyway. He just thought he should save a slot for a Pokemon of the upcoming Generation because it's a massively popular series and is brim with potential. Incineroar is the same, but his games were already done with before Ultimate even came out, making him even less of an advertisement pick at that point than just being there because he wanted a Gen VII Pokemon(not to advertisement either, which at least could be a decent argument for Greninja due to the right timing of release dates), but the other key factor is that our fire tiger has Wrestling as his mechanic. This is a key thing that allowed Sakurai to choose him over Decidueye, the only other considered one(who was going to be focused on projectiles, so basically, implied to be archer-focused. The funny part is this is why people wanted Decidueye in, since we don't have a regular archer character, just people with a few bow-related moves).

I did notice how since 4, we weren't getting at least two all new Pokemon per game(which coincidentally were also two literal Pokemon slots per game, though Pokemon Trainer was really 3 characters in one). And that's okay. I felt with that many Pokemon already in the series, cutting down to 1 max per game wasn't a bad idea. This allows other series to flourish a little.

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
I mean, Eevee and Meowth are rather important in the games and anime at this point, so there are more options. I can understand not wanting to make the roster too huge with them, though. I think one or two new ones per game, max, nowadays is fine. And I'd be fine they didn't add any new ones in any game. I don't really believe in a series needing a guaranteed slot. Not that I disagree with the idea of saving a slot for Pokemon's next gen, either. As long as the character is able to stand out and be fun, it's worth it. Basically, let's say the next game comes around Gen IX's time. If Sakurai sets a slot aside for the character, but no Pokemon from that gen interests him, it's not an issue whatsoever that he either goes with an idea from a previous Gen he likes or simply doesn't add a Pokemon in that one game. That said, it wouldn't even be hard finding an interesting Pokemon in any such Gen. Also, I don't think the "deserving" argument really is a good one either. There's many worth promoting. It doesn't mean they should just simply do it cause it's Pokemon. Series balance is still something that should be considered. Just like a smaller series is still nice to give another character, even if the franchise is dead/on hiatus(like F-Zero). Neither are bad ways to go about it.

Albeit, it does help that Pokemon all get in for various reasons. None have so far gotten in just for the sake of promotion at this point. Though it could happen for DLC, but the first time we ever got a single character just for the sake of advertisement, but I doubt it even then. Choosing a Gen VIII Pokemon also means figuring out why they're interesting enough, giving more than just "advertisement" as the reason. Greninja, for instance, wasn't just chosen because it was from Gen VI, it was a character Sakurai immediately envisioned in his head of how the character works. The timing of 4 and X/Y releasing close to each other didn't play that much of a role anyway. He just thought he should save a slot for a Pokemon of the upcoming Generation because it's a massively popular series and is brim with potential. Incineroar is the same, but his games were already done with before Ultimate even came out, making him even less of an advertisement pick at that point than just being there because he wanted a Gen VII Pokemon(not to advertisement either, which at least could be a decent argument for Greninja due to the right timing of release dates), but the other key factor is that our fire tiger has Wrestling as his mechanic. This is a key thing that allowed Sakurai to choose him over Decidueye, the only other considered one(who was going to be focused on projectiles, so basically, implied to be archer-focused. The funny part is this is why people wanted Decidueye in, since we don't have a regular archer character, just people with a few bow-related moves).

I did notice how since 4, we weren't getting at least two all new Pokemon per game(which coincidentally were also two literal Pokemon slots per game, though Pokemon Trainer was really 3 characters in one). And that's okay. I felt with that many Pokemon already in the series, cutting down to 1 max per game wasn't a bad idea. This allows other series to flourish a little.
Well that's really my main issue with it is balancing series. I think the amount of Pokemon is good as it is. And really I feel the same with Fire Emblem. But that's a whole 'nother topic. In my opinion, I just don't see any Pokemon that would be good additions at this point in time. Yes, Eevee and Meowth are iconic and important enough to make sense to add(my bad on my previous wording) but CAN THEY give them a good enough gimmick like Incin/Grenin(Which are done greatly btw) to justify the add. I want fun characters in, and just because they're iconic doesn't mean they're the best choice. Sure, you could probably make a moveset but they should be masterpieces like Incin/Grenin. So that's my thing. I just want roster balance with iconic characters that have interesting and fresh movesets.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well that's really my main issue with it is balancing series. I think the amount of Pokemon is good as it is. And really I feel the same with Fire Emblem. But that's a whole 'nother topic. In my opinion, I just don't see any Pokemon that would be good additions at this point in time. Yes, Eevee and Meowth are iconic and important enough to make sense to add(my bad on my previous wording) but CAN THEY give them a good enough gimmick like Incin/Grenin(Which are done greatly btw) to justify the add. I want fun characters in, and just because they're iconic doesn't mean they're the best choice. Sure, you could probably make a moveset but they should be masterpieces like Incin/Grenin. So that's my thing. I just want roster balance with iconic characters that have interesting and fresh movesets.
Makes sense to me.

For me, I'd like Meowth to be more of a variation on Pokemon Trainer, having either Giovanni or the Team Rocket duo(yep, that pair) in the BG, while using other Rocket Pokemon as part of his team for some moves. Like could use Golbat for a recovery, Koffing/Weezing for some poisonous jabs, or even a Shield akin to Peach's Neutral B. You also got Ekans/Arbok who could work for ranged moves(Forward Smash for instance, could be akin to Lucas'), or even the Throw Command. Or even a throw itself. There's a lot of options.

I honestly can't think of a good way for Eevee to use the Eeveelutions, which is a very important part of the character, and may be why they're only a Pokeball Pokemon. It sounds hard to balance or make unique. Transforming into all of them is not feasible. And there's seven of them now.

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Makes sense to me.

For me, I'd like Meowth to be more of a variation on Pokemon Trainer, having either Giovanni or the Team Rocket duo(yep, that pair) in the BG, while using other Rocket Pokemon as part of his team for some moves. Like could use Golbat for a recovery, Koffing/Weezing for some poisonous jabs, or even a Shield akin to Peach's Neutral B. You also got Ekans/Arbok who could work for ranged moves(Forward Smash for instance, could be akin to Lucas'), or even the Throw Command. Or even a throw itself. There's a lot of options.

I honestly can't think of a good way for Eevee to use the Eeveelutions, which is a very important part of the character, and may be why they're only a Pokeball Pokemon. It sounds hard to balance or make unique. Transforming into all of them is not feasible. And there's seven of them now.
See I actually really like that Team Rocket idea. If they could pull something like that off, you'd hear no complaints from me. Cus that's cool unique, and everyone who knows Pokemon knows them. That just seems like a stretch using Giovanni/JesseJames at this point in time. They're not really as relevant in the games as they used to be.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Any Nintendo character lmao

*dabs*
That’s already practically started to happen... just look at how much of the roster is taken by third parties: literally only two in brawl, and now over 12% of the roster is third party(with joker included), with probably the entire dlc lineup as well.

Last edited:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
To put my own 50 cents in this, who I don't want in smash: FE's not named Hector, Sans (or any undertale character for that matter, let it die already), Shaggy, FNAF characters, Digimon, JoJo characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fortnite Characters:*Imagining what smash would be treated by kids with fortnite being in*
I mean, to be fair, it's not like the Smash community is pure in that regard. All it takes is a look at some of the more infamous members of the competitive community. I'd take kids having fun over some losers committing horrific crimes that I won't name here.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't want Tracer in Smash. Last thing we need is that overrated series touching Ultimate.

Same with Fortnite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom