• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters With REAL Potential to Move Up

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
My theory is that when you go for stretches of not posting on Smashboards, you forget that the majority of the people here refuse to lose an argument, and will go through great lengths not to do so.

Though if you feel like posting, there's something I've been meaning to ask the Diddy mains, and you seem like the perfect person to ask.

With the crazy things coming up all the time in Diddy's game (Single Naner Locking is badass), in my mind, the next tier list has Diddy in top tier, and when the metagame reaches a relative level of maturity, I can see Diddy rivalling Snake and MK for top spot in the game. Pure fantasy, or realistic outlook?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Wow, I can't believe the lack of Yoshi acknowledgement in this thread. He has minimal Disadvantages with no hard counters, one of the best Anti-MetaKnight characters out there, a Solid Aerial and Ground game, one of the best recoveries in the game (Anti-Gimping wise), Zero Deaths on Falco/Snake, Armour can be used for Counter Attacks, Grab Release Combos, One of the best Grabs in the game, and a great Physical Defencive game.

How people think Sonic and Jigglypuff are more deserving to move up is just..... insane

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
My theory is that when you go for stretches of not posting on Smashboards, you forget that the majority of the people here refuse to lose an argument, and will go through great lengths not to do so.

Though if you feel like posting, there's something I've been meaning to ask the Diddy mains, and you seem like the perfect person to ask.

With the crazy things coming up all the time in Diddy's game (Single Naner Locking is badass), in my mind, the next tier list has Diddy in top tier, and when the metagame reaches a relative level of maturity, I can see Diddy rivalling Snake and MK for top spot in the game. Pure fantasy, or realistic outlook?
I knew about the single lock awhile ago just didnt bother with it. A Character whos advantage that can be used against him isnt gonna rise up.

Wow, I can't believe the lack of Yoshi acknowledgement in this thread. He has minimal Disadvantages with no hard counters, one of the best Anti-MetaKnight characters out there, a Solid Aerial and Ground game, one of the best recoveries in the game (Anti-Gimping wise), Zero Deaths on Falco/Snake, Armour can be used for Counter Attacks, Grab Release Combos, One of the best Grabs in the game, and a great Physical Defencive game.

How people think Sonic and Jigglypuff are more deserving to move up is just..... insane
One problem with yoshi though. He cant do basic things like attacking out of shield or jumping out of it like every other characters. For a so called defensive game, his shield game is horrible. Someone who jab cancels or has immense shield pressure he doesnt do good against. He can move up but i dont think to mid tier. Best pivot grab but not one of the best grabs. Those go to D3 Charizard and Olimar. Now grab metagame. Thats something different ^_^

I have no idea whats been discovered about jiggs. Someone needs to enlighten me. Sonic i knew since i touched the game.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Ness has real potential to move up.... I just need to focus a bit more to harness that... Basically do more things.

Ness has potential to break the game... Err sort of. Depends on how you look at it.

Mmac

Smash Lord
One problem with yoshi though. He cant do basic things like attacking out of shield or jumping out of it like every other characters. For a so called defensive game, his shield game is horrible.
Yes, it is, I am not denying that. That however, does not mean his defencive game is. Plus there's always Spotdodging as an alternative.

Someone who jab cancels or has immense shield pressure he doesnt do good against.
Jigglypuff has a nasty shield pressure game, but ironically she gets completely shutdown by a Pivot Grab and Usmash defence alone. He doesn't need a shield to be good.

He can move up but i dont think to mid tier. Best pivot grab but not one of the best grabs. Those go to D3 Charizard and Olimar. Now grab metagame. Thats something different ^_^
What exactly is so different for Dedede's and Charizards Pivots, especially when their regular grabs are better and have more range? I can understand Olimar, but have you even seen Yoshi's Pivot Grab and how fast it works? Plus unlike Olimar, he can actually counter shorthops with it. Plus his Dash Grab is pretty good too. Comes out quick and is the second longest grab in the game.

I have no idea whats been discovered about jiggs. Someone needs to enlighten me. Sonic i knew since i touched the game.
She has Shield Resting now.... thats about it....

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
I knew about the single lock awhile ago just didnt bother with it. A Character whos advantage that can be used against him isnt gonna rise up.

One problem with yoshi though. He cant do basic things like attacking out of shield or jumping out of it like every other characters. For a so called defensive game, his shield game is horrible. Someone who jab cancels or has immense shield pressure he doesnt do good against. He can move up but i dont think to mid tier. Best pivot grab but not one of the best grabs. Those go to D3 Charizard and Olimar. Now grab metagame. Thats something different ^_^

Well hey we agree about something! Diddy won't be top due to the fact we can throw nanners back. Oh and Oli does have the best grab in the game hands down.

I like Yoshi though.. fun to play but will never be top.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I've been consistently impressed with various Diddy's abilities in keeping their naners to themselves, but I suppose that is always a problem that Diddy is going to carry with him.

Nevertheless, I do hope that he moves up. As much as I hate playing Diddy, he's certainly entertaining to watch.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yes, it is, I am not denying that. That however, does not mean his defencive game is. Plus there's always Spotdodging as an alternative.

Jigglypuff has a nasty shield pressure game, but ironically she gets completely shutdown by a Pivot Grab and Usmash defence alone. He doesn't need a shield to be good.

What exactly is so different for Dedede's and Charizards Pivots, especially when their regular grabs are better and have more range? I can understand Olimar, but have you even seen Yoshi's Pivot Grab and how fast it works? Plus unlike Olimar, he can actually counter shorthops with it. Plus his Dash Grab is pretty good too. Comes out quick and is the second longest grab in the game.

She has Shield Resting now.... thats about it....
I wasnt talking about D3 and Char's Pivot grabs. I was talkin about their normal grabs. the problem with spotdodging is that it can be punished. Jiggs i wouldnt say has that super ultra defense game. Samus is great against shields. Anyway im not ignorant about yoshi. I fully kno what hes capable of.

Shield Resting better not be what she did in melee.

Its the same moves over and over =( nanner to dash attack up tilt..
kinda true. But i could say the same for olimar. Grab, dthrow, upsmash to uair to up-b and for alot of other chars. Its the top players who innovates them. Sadly Olimar isnt a deep character. Everything is seen right away except for what the pikmin actually does.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Sonic definitely has potential to move up on the list. In no way is he the 5th worst. Actualy I like where he is, that way I can make fun of people losing to the 5th worst character :laugh:.

If you excuse me, I'm going to train in the art of YOU'RE TOO SLOW!!! :3.

I have other characters in mind too, like Mario & PT for starters.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
I wasnt talking about D3 and Char's Pivot grabs. I was talkin about their normal grabs. the problem with spotdodging is that it can be punished. Jiggs i wouldnt say has that super ultra defense game. Samus is great against shields. Anyway im not ignorant about yoshi. I fully kno what hes capable of.

Shield Resting better not be what she did in melee.

kinda true. But i could say the same for olimar. Grab, dthrow, upsmash to uair to up-b and for alot of other chars. Its the top players who innovates them. Sadly Olimar isnt a deep character. Everything is seen right away except for what the pikmin actually does.
You say that until a good Oli player WAC through one of your smashes to a KO move

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Lol I'm not? Now look who is flaming. It doesn't have to be new to be surprising. Seriously.
sigh forget it moving on.

Is ness and lucas near low tier because of the grab release? They actually have alot of tools and should be higher on the list.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Ness is low on the list Not for any grab release stuff, only a few characters have said stuff on them, he is low because nobody can play Ness well except for a few people...
Some of the things characters do to Ness they are better off just throwing them...

Lucas, I'm not sure about... I don't play the dude. When he gets out ranged I heard it's really bad... Mainly because most of his attacks are disjoints so yeah...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
he does get out ranged. Still not alot of ppl play luigi and the ppl who do suck azz except boss but they have luigi as mid whos REALLY high. See what im sayin here?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Exactly, both have the range of Mid tier characters but just get shoved in low tier.... I guess not even one person can do outstandingly well with Lucas / Ness that they get put in low tier.

Ness actually out ranges characters like Marth and MK... But nobody cares about that.. If I could just win 1 tournament then people will see how good Ness is... I plan to. Ness also has like the most KO power.... PKT2... It's actually less confusing to hit with than It looks. An amazing dashing grab/ grab game. And pretty much awesome air games...

His ground game is fast but higher ending lag.

PND

Smash Champion
No, she doesn't. Take this to the other topic. She doesn't get shut down by those, we have posted how to get past it, we have our top placing Jiggs players on the boards telling you how to get past it, and you still don't believe us.

JShe has Shield Resting now.... thats about it....
That's about it? If counters almost half the moves in the game and is inescapable. Yeah, that's it. -_-

Take the Jiggs discussion to the topic you've already ruined. Not here.

I have no idea whats been discovered about jiggs. Someone needs to enlighten me.
She can interrupt many moves with rest, essentially. From what I understand, she can even rest G&W out of the turtle if done correctly, so that just gives you an indication of what she can do with it. Now, some of the moves she can rest out of are ludicrously hard to do, and it only works if they're in kill percent otherwise the rest will hit them and Jiggs is gonna die from a smash in the face.

Anyway, this is only like 2 weeks old, so it's still WAY too new to make any call on what this will do to her.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I just saw Shield resting and its THE SAME THING FROM MELEE. I meant something never done before and completely new i never saw before. Sliq did this to me at pound 3.

PND

Smash Champion
Nah, this resting uses the invincibility frames from rest to rest without having to shield at all. But then there's also shield resting.

Like I said, it's too early to see if this will affect her at all, but it's something to consider.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Nah, this resting uses the invincibility frames from rest to rest without having to shield at all. But then there's also shield resting.

Like I said, it's too early to see if this will affect her at all, but it's something to consider.
Rest always had invincibility frames. Link me to a thread or something explaining this cause i see nothing out the ordinary.

PND

Smash Champion
I don't think it works on Oli (except *maybe* his tilts, but when will that come up?) but it's actually not that hard to do from what I've practiced. Harder in implementation, I suppose.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea but this isnt the thread for it.

PNDMike: That just shows how rest can be used with brawl mechanics. Not bad. Not a new AT per say though. But still something jiggs players should use. Its kinda like crouch cancelled rest in melee........so gay LOL

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
The topic of Sonic moving up on the tier list has been beaten to death, so...

Something tells me that Ike might have a chance of moving up. He's slow as hell, but because he's so ridiculously beastly in his power, not to mention his Bair is like lightning with all the power of any other epic heavyweight KO potential, he closes the gap simple enough between those who slowly rack up damage, and those who get it in a matter of seconds like Ike.

You could start up combos with nairs, grabbing, jabs, grabs, nairs, the like until they get too high up in damage, but it's still a pretty good set-up. And the USmash, while slow, is great for tricking people with it's range and surrounds him entirely in the process. Doubt he'll move up a lot, that'd be kinda crazy. But Ike's got some nice set-ups. And the superarmor on some of his moves comes in handy.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Honestly, Ike has some **** matchups, little tourney representation, a really "barebone" character with no ATs or anything of the like, easily gimped/comboed, a lot of lag behind a lot of his attacks... he'll be lucky to stay where he is now to say the least.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Ike has some **** matchups, little tourney representation, a really "barebone" character with no ATs or anything of the like, easily gimped/comboed, a lot of lag behind a lot of his attacks... he'll be lucky to stay where he is now to say the least.
It's what people used to say about Sonic, only backwards. Fast but no killing priority to go with it. Ike? Killing priority above most if not everyone, but no speed.

I've seen some Ikes that were full of just as many surprises as Sonics were. If people represented and devoted to Ike more like we have with Sonic, the difference would be there, I believe.

That's what time is for, and all we can do is wait and see. But I say Ike does have potential to move up, if people are willing to try and take up the task of representing him more and bringing out more of what makes him good over the glaring bad. Just like Sonic.

*shrugs* Who knows. ^^

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
The topic of Sonic moving up on the tier list has been beaten to death, so...

Something tells me that Ike might have a chance of moving up. He's slow as hell, but because he's so ridiculously beastly in his power, not to mention his Bair is like lightning with all the power of any other epic heavyweight KO potential, he closes the gap simple enough between those who slowly rack up damage, and those who get it in a matter of seconds like Ike.

You could start up combos with nairs, grabbing, jabs, grabs, nairs, the like until they get too high up in damage, but it's still a pretty good set-up. And the USmash, while slow, is great for tricking people with it's range and surrounds him entirely in the process. Doubt he'll move up a lot, that'd be kinda crazy. But Ike's got some nice set-ups. And the superarmor on some of his moves comes in handy.
All been done before. Me and some other ike players exploited him already. Dont think hes goin anywhere. His bair is 8 frames....not really lightning fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmfmaMhM270

Ppl already kno me for ike but for some who havent seen me play, i have alot of ike vids. Been using him since JPN release and was one of my mains for awhile until i branched off and used everyone.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Well! That's what I get for running my mouth. By lightning fast on the bair, I meant the speed in which the hit comes out. Not the duration part. :X In hindsight, the lag on the landing I was aware of being dangerous.

My apologies. Haven't seen you play before. Nicely done. :D But this isn't a "Praise *insert player here* Thread", so in any case...

I'll stand by my belief that he could move up in time, but you know more then I do. So I'm running on beliefs while you probably run on what could be the truth. *shrug*

Thanks for the enlightenment there.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's what people used to say about Sonic, only backwards. Fast but no killing priority to go with it. Ike? Killing priority above most if not everyone, but no speed.

I've seen some Ikes that were full of just as many surprises as Sonics were. If people represented and devoted to Ike more like we have with Sonic, the difference would be there, I believe.

That's what time is for, and all we can do is wait and see. But I say Ike does have potential to move up, if people are willing to try and take up the task of representing him more and bringing out more of what makes him good over the glaring bad. Just like Sonic.

*shrugs* Who knows. ^^
Well right now, things aren't looking too bright for him, and Sonic is a sucky character at that, the only difference is he has a bigger fanbase than Ike, and people are actually willing to take him far. I bet you in the next tier list that Sonic will probably be somewhere next to Ike if not already above him.

Sonic's "priority" isn't an issue as it was back in March/April when people were being stupid and spamming spin attacks. People have learned now to dodge Ike's "godly" FSmash which has tremendous lag. Just like now people are learning to get smart with Sonic and use his other attacks for when the situation calls for.

Sonic's worst matchups are Wario/G&W/MK, which are 65:35 at worst. Ike gets mutilated by Falco/D3/Olimar which are 70:30 at best. Sonic's matchups can be worked around with if the player has enough practice, Ike on the other hand is doomed to be outsped/outranged by the said three characters for example. D3 has a shield like anybody else, and can easily shieldgrab whatever Ike has. Olimar has insane camping skills which again Ike has nothing in his arsenal to answer to. Falco has lasers which make Ike take the air constantly, always forcing him to approach, which Falco can foresee and do what he wants from there. That's just three characters, mind of you, of course to a lesser extent there are other characters that give him trouble.

The difference with Sonic, is that he has Speed to compliment his "lack" of K.O. moves, which aren't even scarce really. Ike just has major power, but that doesn't help against smart people who can see his attacks coming miles away. Sonic can play a very patient game, and pick out his moments to exploit a character's vulnerability time, what's Ike going to do, hope the other person runs right into his FSmash? Ike's recovery is very linear, and very poor/limited, on the other hand you'll never hear of a good Sonic getting gimp/K.O.ed.

I'm kind of disappointed, playing Ike as another main, but he is a really hard character to work with, usually it takes a huge amount of effort to even play him decently.

Top Bottom